• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread |OT| Prime Hour

daveonezero

Banned
Agree. Also, I can't remember how long is was but I was pretty far into the playthrough before I got the double jump. That was a little souring.
Yep. It seems that way. I haven’t even seen or been teased with many places where a double jump would let me access new areas at this point. And I just got to the big mid story element

Scenes like this and the train stations really make me stop and look at the game. Each room has quite a bit going on. Full of a lot of little details.

Last edited:
Finished it. I thought about starting over and 100%ing it, but something dumb is stopping me. I absolutely hate getting some upgrades hidden with speed blocks. They're a complete PITA for me.

Minor complaint to an otherwise great game. I've never been a huge Metroid fan (although I like metroidvanias), but Dread is the favorite of all the ones I've played.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Finished it. I thought about starting over and 100%ing it, but something dumb is stopping me. I absolutely hate getting some upgrades hidden with speed blocks. They're a complete PITA for me.

Minor complaint to an otherwise great game. I've never been a huge Metroid fan (although I like metroidvanias), but Dread is the favorite of all the ones I've played.
Keep trying man. Those felt impossible to me at first, but you'll end up mastering it.

And man, pulling out some of those "speed puzzles" really feels good.

Porcile

Is that the one from the entrance of Ferenia coming from Ghavoran? There's multiple ways to do it, but my method was

activate the speedbooster in the room on the right, wall jump twice to reach the platform above, slide through the breakable blocks, charge shinespark in the alcove on the left, morph ball, bomb the blocks, shinespark up.

I got you bro but how do you charge a Shinespark in the alcove? I can do everything up to that point no sweat.

AddiF

My OLED Switch finally arrived so it's Dread time! Just over 1 hour in. Love it so far! Samus is smooth to control and she's a badass as always... even more so now.

Aldric

I got you bro but how do you charge a Shinespark in the alcove? I can do everything up to that point no sweat.
Here's a vid showing how to do it:

I suppose inputs would be something like L3 right B B left ZL ZL down right ZL Y (neutral) B up

Last edited:

OrochiJR

Finally started the game yesterday after wrapping up MH Stories 2. So far I have only played up till the 2nd save point but can't wait to continue later today.

The counter uppercut is pretty cool, did Samus pick it up from Smash?😆

kunonabi

Finally started the game yesterday after wrapping up MH Stories 2. So far I have only played up till the 2nd save point but can't wait to continue later today.

The counter uppercut is pretty cool, did Samus pick it up from Smash?😆
More of an adaptation of her Other M dodge.

SCB3

I'll be honest, I hate the EMMI zones, they're just getting tedious to go through, just got the Grapple beam though, thats opened up so much

And man that boss
Chozo Warrior
is a tough but fun boss

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Burenia, you dirty little slut

One item remaining for 100%
But this could take a while...
I'll be honest, I hate the EMMI zones, they're just getting tedious to go through, just got the Grapple beam though, thats opened up so much
They’re really fun to me, both unique and useful. I treated them as an area to practice for combat and master the controls

Cutty Flam

Banned
Yeah I gotta say, this last shinespark block sequence kinda reminds me of the Water Temple in OoT, there will be frustration but hopefully through a lot of attempts I can figure it out. Going to listen to Einstein’s wisdom and switch up what I’m doing but so far still in the dark, I think what I’m doing is the only way but have yet to execute it to even see

Thaedolus

Gold Member
The EMMI zones made me pretty anxious the first time through but playing again on Hard they're kind of breeze now. I think I've got the mechanics down much better, especially how to use the cloak effectively (if the EMMI heard you in an area then you gotta move out of it even if you're cloaked because it'll still run into you)

SCB3

Made it to some sort of Chozo Fortress, man the atmosphere here, reminds me of Prime 2 a lot (I really want that trilogy on Switch now), it feels like the game is stepping up, I can't be that far til the end

ManaByte

Gold Member
Just found out about sequence breaks.

d5zgr2w-5c668f1d-1be0-455c-b403-4ce4d73633b7.gif

Cutty Flam

Banned
Whoever programmed the Burenia shinespark, fuck you u son of a bitch

Still at it

Edit: Finally accomplished what I was trying to do for the first time after 2.5 hrs total working toward it, it didn’t work. So there is a different way to do this other than what I thought. Maybe I have to turn on the huge generator towards the top of the Burenia

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Yes. But only because the music sucks.

No, I definitely wouldn't go that far. The music could definitely be better but I still enjoy a lot of it. The worst track I've heard so far (Dairon IMO) isn't even that bad.

Burenia is fucking awesome. The atmospheric stuff is awesome.

They just shouldn't have gone with some of the midi sounding stuff.

Anyways I still need to get further to hear more but again I definitely don't think the music sucks, it could just stand to be better.

Weirdly enough I think the music in Samus Returns may have been better?

They can't make this same mistake with Prime 4 though. Shouldn't have happened with Dread either but with Prime 4 it would be even more unforgivable.

carlosrox

Banned
Thinking of playing tonight but I prefer waiting for the weekend to play :(

The thing is I have a short weekend cuz I picked up a (admittedly only half) shift on Sat :(

That cutscene I saw was awesome, I wanna see it again as it was so overwhelming I forgot exactly how it all went down.

Unrelated: the atmosphere here gets me every time. So damn good.

Fucking beautiful.

Found this video but I ain't watching til I'm done the game.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Wonder what happened there. It's my only complaint with the game, otherwise it's fantastic but man, all I remember about the music is the beeping of the EMMI zones. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Same. Aside from the memorable Metroid jingles and melodies we're all familiar with, I can't remember anything I heard during my time with it. Loved the game though.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Hard mode feels even better than my first run on Normal. Not sure if just knowing where to go or having a better grasp on the mechanics I’d making the difference but I’m having so much fun on the second run. EMMIs don’t feel nearly as intimidating now, basically no difference between normal and hard when getting around them as far as I can tell

carlosrox

Banned
Hard mode feels even better than my first run on Normal. Not sure if just knowing where to go or having a better grasp on the mechanics I’d making the difference but I’m having so much fun on the second run.

Sometimes second playthroughs of games are actually better.

It's kind of like, knowing what to look for - not just in terms of gameplay but in the sense of appreciating the game in every way. You're more familiar with basically everything and thus appreciate it more. And you discover new things you didn't the first time. Second runs can be really great.

And I also look forward to playing hard mode.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I've been chipping away at the shinespark from hell. Five hours in total have been invested into figuring this one out. Cortisol levels were through the roof

Tmrw is another day. Metroid Dread with the most insane challenge I've faced yet in gaming

carlosrox

Banned
I refuse to believe any of these puzzles are really that hard. How??

I hope they are though! I love getting stuck!
This needs to be one of those ultra rare games I 100%.

J3nga

Got switch OLED yesterday, my first switch and my first Nintendo console, don't like controls in this game that much and the fact that joy cons feel very fragile and way to small for my hands also does not help. Ordered third party pro controller

tommib

Got switch OLED yesterday, my first switch and my first Nintendo console, don't like controls in this game that much and the fact that joy cons feel very fragile and way to small for my hands also does not help. Ordered third party pro controller
I traded my lite for the OLED and I’m still on the regret period. I’ll get over it. I now play docked more just because of cumbersome the OLED is: ginormous, heavy, more pixelated… Controls were so much better on the lite. I have no idea why people think the Steam Deck is going to be nice to play with when it’s even bigger and heavier than this.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I traded my lite for the OLED and I’m still on the regret period. I’ll get over it. I now play docked more just because of cumbersome the OLED is: ginormous, heavy, more pixelated… Controls were so much better on the lite. I have no idea why people think the Steam Deck is going to be nice to play with when it’s even bigger and heavier than this.
Personally I like bigger and heavier. I basically only play my Switch in handheld when traveling because I’m not a fan of the controls and smaller screen, but Steam Deck having better integrated controls and basically any PC game I own on it makes it an easy choice for those scenarios

Maestr0

This game is just amazing, hard, definitely my GOTY so far but damn the music disappointed me, it does the job don't get me wrong but they will not haunt my head like the other Metroïd, at least i got the main theme, the mission theme and the lower brinstar remix

Oh and Adam voice xDDDD, I mean that could be way better.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Parrying EMMIS is really hard. It would have been much easier if the animations were the same but sometimes they differ, making counting the frames much more difficult. This is my only complaints so far. The rest of the game is GOTY quality.

Last edited:

BlackTron

This game asks too much of you for joycons to be a good idea.

That said, careful with pro controllers. I have a PowerA wired controller I love for its great d-pad, but this game revealed to me its control stick was less precise with the 360 aiming. I could make finer adjustments with the official pro controller. Mileage will vary of course...but if you get frustrated, it could be the gamepad, not the game.

J3nga

This game asks too much of you for joycons to be a good idea.

That said, careful with pro controllers. I have a PowerA wired controller I love for its great d-pad, but this game revealed to me its control stick was less precise with the 360 aiming. I could make finer adjustments with the official pro controller. Mileage will vary of course...but if you get frustrated, it could be the gamepad, not the game.
I went with powerA enhanced wireless, the native one was out of stock and more expensive.

BlackTron

I went with powerA enhanced wireless, the native one was out of stock and more expensive.

You might well be fine because the wired one I got was el cheapo. In fact I only got it as a spare MP controller because it had a damaged box for $15. But then I was shocked at how good the dpad is and started using it all the time. Not that all PowerA controllers will be like this, but I found if you aim left or right and try to add just a few degrees up or down, it won't register it until you move the stick enough, and then jumps to the sticks position when it does. Causing me to over or under shoot when I wanted a more subtle adjustment.

I'm guessing pricier stuff and Afterglow's are fine but due to the precision this game demands of you, I'd be more choosy than usual. If the 360 aiming isn't REALLY full 360, and gives you some small increments, try a different one.

Top Bottom