• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force Review Thread

And the expectations for this were rock-bottom.

It doesn't change whether the game is ultimately fun or not. And it's not like it's pretending to be a mainline game, even. Did Metroid Prime Pinball throw you for a loop too?

Metroid Prime Pinball, are we really going over this again ? Metroid Prime Pinball was made between 2 Metroid games. Few months after Metroid Prime 2. It's a really small budget, launch window game. And at least, it was a funny little twist, with the art design looking like Metroid.
Oh and:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/ds/metroid-prime-pinball

It was good.

But Super Metroid had been a very long old title there. I mean, if we are talking about a great title from SNES, isn't that just show how the franchise both in sales and quality had been in decline?

Super Metroid is the same way ALTTP is. Legendary. It's one of these games you could easily put in a top 10 of best games ever made. No, the serie hasn't been in decline because they still released other amazingly well crafted games, which were a mark of excellence, like the Prime trilogy, Metroid Fusion or Zero Mission.

But Super Metroid had been a very long old title there. I mean, if we are talking about a great title from SNES, isn't that just show how the franchise both in sales and quality had been in decline?

It's more than that, Prime 1-3 are all excellent games, all of the 2D metroid bar arguably the original are very solid adventures. It's a high water mark for consistency in quality.

Thoraxes

I do have 3 other friends I could local co-op with, but like Triforce Heroes, we will probably wait till a sale for all of us to get it.

casiopao

I wonder if the devs at Next Level Games are upset at what they were given after delivering Luigi's Mansion 2. The mediocre reception is gonna reflect poorly on them, when they probably did what they could with the budget and directions Nintendo gave them.

I don't think anyone from NLG could predict the backlash from rabid fanboys like at all lol.

I mean, this backlash had always been something totally illogical for me. Whether the timing complain, we don't have good title for soo long, we hate Retro because they are not making MP4 and they rather make another F DK.

I don't think anyone would predict that hardcore Metroid fan can be this bad.

Teknoman

Metroid..... legendary franchise.O_O I may still be noob with this franchise here lol.(Only play Zero Mission) But Legendary is certainly not something i would call Metroid here is lol.

At least, u can play with fellow Gaffers here lol.^_^

You've got to play Super Metroid, Prime sub series, and Fusion then. If not all those, then at least Super Metroid and Prime 1. Then all will be revealed.

Metroid Prime Pinball, are we really going over this again ? Metroid Prime Pinball was made between 2 Metroid games. Few months after Metroid Prime 2. It's a really small budget, launch window game. And at least, it was a funny little twist, with the art design looking like Metroid.
Oh and:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/ds/metroid-prime-pinball

It was good.

Again, timing doesn't change whether a game's good or not.

I get that you're salty that it's not Metroid Prime 4, but that doesn't have any affect on the game on its own merits.

You shouldn't really judge on sales alone.

Metriod just never gain that Mario/Zelda fame. Even when the franchise had games just as good or better then the highs of Those series.

I wonder if the devs at Next Level Games are upset at what they were given after delivering Luigi's Mansion 2. The mediocre reception is gonna reflect poorly on them, when they probably did what they could with the budget and directions Nintendo gave them.

I actually forgot this game was made by Next Level until a little while ago.

Considering Punch Out Wii and both Mario Strikers games I dunno what Nintendo is doing with them anymore.

The two best games in the series are from 1994 and 2002, respectively. It's legendary more due to the high points than what's come in between.

Nobody calls Zelda legendary because of twilight princess or phantom hourglass. They call it legendary because of ALTTP and OOT.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Like I said in the other thread, seems like this game is this year's Tri Force Heroes in terms of varied reception and general philosophy. However, the issue here seems to be a concept that was limited from the start but executed reasonably well vs. a concept that had potential but made some mistakes in the execution.

Nintendo's been putting out a lot of games in the upper-60s through 70s range for the last year and a half.

It's mainly their flagships that have been the exception, and this wasn't one of those, so the odds weren't especially great of it doing much better.

I'm curious to see if they try to make any adjustments with their line-up going forward.

I've convinced myself that silent preparation for NX and scattered resources across two consoles are what has led to so many mediocre spin-off titles and entries in smaller franchises. However, I am indeed worried that this isn't just a transition period problem and will continue well into 2017 and beyond. My fingers are crossed that whatever Nintendo launches with NX doesn't lead them to continue to sacrifice quality for quantity. Yet, at the same time, I suppose I applaud that they are taking some risks.

I mean, a franchise can still be legendary if its great games are old. While I get what you are arguing about the state of Metroid today, if the argument is about semantics, I think "legendary" is appropriate. The legends I can think of are almost exclusively based on events that may or may not have happened long ago, anyway, so I would think "time has passed" is actually an argument for the use of the descriptor.

casiopao

Is casiopao trolling?

I'm about to start drinking.

If i am called trolling, i wonder what those who hated this game with their guts is called lol.

And i am clear here with my reason why i am looking forward for this game. I want a FPS experience in 3DS. Which is why i am looking forward to this game. The fact that the co-op mode is even better makes me even more hyped.

I had zero relation with Metroid series at all. I only played the one the Ambassador gave me there and i finished it with an okay feeling. I just like Castlevania more than Metroid. So, i don't had any bias/love towards Metroid IP here which is why i don't really understand all the hated this one spin-off game is creating.

I actually forgot this game was made by Next Level until a little while ago.

Considering Punch Out Wii and both Mario Strikers games I dunno what Nintendo is doing with them anymore.

They just make one of the most popular game called Luigi Mansion 2 lol. Where is this narrative where Nintendo don't know what to do with NLG come from? M:FF suddenly makes Nintendo and NLG relation bad?

I don't think anyone from NLG could predict the backlash from rabid fanboys like at all lol.

I mean, this backlash had always been something totally illogical for me. Whether the timing complain, we don't have good title for soo long, we hate Retro because they are not making MP4 and they rather make another F DK.

I don't think anyone would predict that hardcore Metroid fan can be this bad.

Then again, it's all about context. But even if we don't take context into account for Federation Force: The art is bad. It's just bad. It's not because of chibi, I love chibis. It's just that whoever made these designs was wrong. That's all.

Now taking context into account: E3 2015 was a crazy year at E3. It was basically the E3 were dreams came true... except for Nintendo which was giving monkey paws over monkey paws: No Zelda. Star Fox and Metroid, which were asked for a long time, turning the way they did.

As for Metroid Prime 4 and DKCTF, it's also easy to explain: Back then, Wii U was in a rough situation, and people wanted from Nintendo something that look truly next gen. Instead, they've got a 2D platformer, which Wii U was already getting too much, with a really nice art but not really good graphics. They expected Retro to push the hardware.

watershed

Banned
I think it's the controls more than anything that make me think this isn't a game I would enjoy. The Prime style controls work well, even now, when the focus is exploration. But when Prime 3 went for more of an action/shooter approach I felt the lock on mechanic and bullet sponge nature of the enemies really made the game drag. This game looks to have a similar issue and the nub doesn't seem to help.

Nintendo's been putting out a lot of games in the upper-60s through 70s range for the last year and a half.

It's mainly their flagships that have been the exception, and this wasn't one of those, so the odds weren't especially great of it doing much better.

I'm curious to see if they try to make any adjustments with their line-up going forward.

A lot of these seem to be cheap projects mostly centered around asset flipping, and some worked out better than others. It costs a lot to make a full fledged zelda or metroid, so you have pared down multiplayer focused derivatives that are recieved more poorly, yet Kirby was able to drop one of the best games in the series (Robobot) using a lot of reused stuff from Triple Deluxe.

A lot of these seem to be cheap projects mostly centered around asset flipping, and some worked out better than others. It costs a lot to make a full fledged zelda or metroid, so you have pared down multiplayer focused derivatives that are recieved more poorly, yet Kirby was able to drop one of the best games in the series (Robobot) using a lot of reused stuff from Triple Deluxe.

Reusing assets isn't the problem. It's more like these felt like cheap efforts. As you said, Robobot reused a lot of stuff, but on the other hand, they used it to make a great game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Metroid's biggest problem is that the sales never took off.

The series capped out somewhere between 2 to 2.5 million copies as far as I can tell, and then the last update we got was Metroid Prime 3 shipping 1.31 million copies in an era when games with clear inspirations from Metroid's progression structure like BioShock, Arkham Asylum, and Tomb Raider were shipping 5-10 million copies.

Given it was an expensive series to create games in, and even more expensive to try and chase the games it was expected to compete with, this was a major issue.

I think there is probably an opening for making a 2D or 2.5D downloadable game however. There are a lot of indie Metroidvania titles that sell 500K-1+ million copies.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Yep, lots of double dipping with engines and assets. It makes me wonder how much of Federation Force is built on the work done with Luigi's Mansion 2 because compared against games like Tri Force Heroes, Happy Home Designer, and Planet Robobot, Federation Force seems like the most divergent from its immediate development predecessor.

casiopao

Then again, it's all about context. But even if we don't take context into account for Federation Force: The art is bad. It's just bad. It's not because of chibi, I love chibis. It's just that whoever made these designs was wrong. That's all.

Now taking context into account: E3 2015 was a crazy year at E3. It was basically the E3 were dreams came true... except for Nintendo which was giving monkey paws over monkey paws: No Zelda. Star Fox and Metroid, which were asked for a long time, turning the way they did.

As for Metroid Prime 4 and DKCTF, it's also easy to explain: Back then, Wii U was in a rough situation, and people wanted from Nintendo something that look truly next gen. Instead, they've got a 2D platformer, which Wii U was already getting too much, with a really nice art but not really good graphics. They expected Retro to push the hardware.

I don't had any problem with the art here lol. Maybe i am just accustomed towards funny chibi game like Gurumin lol.

E3 2015 is indeed bad from Ninty here as i am also hugely disappointed but the way the Metroid fans act is just disgusting that year. Blame Nintendo not the game. Not to mention how not sensitive people comment about Iwata when he is sick back in Japan. That year, is probably the year when i loses respect towards many gamers.

Once again. There is never a single rumour saying that Retro is making a Metroid game. It is the fans mind which is playing the dream there. And calling DKCTF is just a nice art game is blasphemy lol. That game is easily the best 2D side scrolling platformer for this whole gen.

The series capped out somewhere between 2 to 2.5 million copies as far as I can tell, and then the last update we got was Metroid Prime 3 shipping 1.31 million copies in an era when games with clear inspirations from Metroid's progression structure like BioShock, Arkham Asylum, and Tomb Raider were shipping 5-10 million copies.

Given it was an expensive series to create games in, and even more expensive to try and chase the games it was expected to compete with, this was a major issue.

I think there is probably an opening for making a 2D or 2.5D downloadable game however. There are a lot of indie Metroidvania titles that sell 500K-1+ million copies.

Oooh. If that is the case.(This is only my opinion here lol don't kill me plizz.) If i am Nintendo, i will just shove this IP to the vault forever like F-Zero rather than wasting time and money making a game for a niche fans(which we don't know whether they still had the same selling power as old times or not) and bet on new IP like Splatoon here.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oooh. If that is the case.(This is only my opinion here lol don't kill me plizz.) If i am Nintendo, i will just shove this IP to the vault forever like F-Zero rather than wasting time and money making a game for a niche fans(which we don't know whether they still had the same selling power as old times or not) and bet on new IP like Splatoon here.

They kind of have, no?

Metroid: Other M was released in August 2010, and we're only now - 6 years later - getting another game, and this one looks both inexpensive and highly detached from previous entries.

I don't had any problem with the art here lol. Maybe i am just accustomed towards funny chibi game like Gurumin lol.

E3 2015 is indeed bad from Ninty here as i am also hugely disappointed but the way the Metroid fans act is just disgusting that year. Blame Nintendo not the game. Not to mention how not sensitive people comment about Iwata when he is sick back in Japan. That year, is probably the year when i loses respect towards many gamers.

Once again. There is never a single rumour saying that Retro is making a Metroid game. It is the fans mind which is playing the dream there. And calling DKCTF is just a nice art game is blasphemy lol. That game is easily the best 2D side scrolling platformer for this whole gen.

I love Gurumin. The problem isn't chibi then again, but the art itself. It just look bad:
45a7f24fc2c4070c82e8b42f52b0b349.png
This is the mech design with Samus colors.

This is Samus, as seen in the game with a Chibi design:
It looks better already. Because the other designs just sucks.

Aldric

l wonder if people will still try the goold old "eating crow" technique with such mediocre reviews. Might be a bit difficult but l'm sure some will attempt it. "Ha! S-see Nintendofans4lyfe gave it a 10/10!! Take that haters!!".

I love Gurumin. The problem isn't chibi then again, but the art itself. It just look bad:
45a7f24fc2c4070c82e8b42f52b0b349.png

I think the relative chunkiness of the design compared to Samus's more streamlined design is quite clever and makes total sense in the universe. The mechs were only recently deployed in terms of development and the Galactic Federation are in general behind the Chozos in ters of overall technological progression.

watershed

Banned
In my opinion Metroid is prime for a Mega Man 9 like turn. Go old school with some modern touches. Go back to the series' roots. Make it inexpensive. Set expectations properly and I think it could do really well.

casiopao

They kind of have, no?

Metroid: Other M was released in August 2010, and we're only now - 6 years later - getting another game, and this one looks both inexpensive and highly detached from previous entries.

Lol. I feel Nintendo is getting cold-foot thinking that if they killed Metroid franchise there,they are going to get huge backlash from Metroid fans here. They should not half killed the franchise here.

Uukhh. I am really feeling bad here as i really don't see the problem here. Maybe i just had bad taste vs most of u guys.T_T

I would say, the federation pilot did indeed looks bland and Samus looks much nicer there but, i don't find anything problematic with the mech.

In my opinion Metroid is prime for a Mega Man 9 like turn. Go old school with some modern touches. Go back to the series' roots. Make it inexpensive. Set expectations properly and I think it could do really well.

Who to develop it then? Considering how most of Nintendo team and Retro seems to not want anywhere close to the IP here?

I think the relative chunkiness of the design compared to Samus's more streamlined design is quite clever and makes total sense in the universe. The mechs were only recently deployed in terms of development and the Galactic Federation are in general behind the Chozos in ters of overall technological progression.

I know, they were just not able to make a good technology. But that's a lame excuse for the bad looking design all over the place. Same for monsters.

I know, they were just not able to make a good technology. But that's a lame excuse for the bad looking design all over the place. Same for monsters.

I disagree, the Space Pirates look like Space Pirates. The Ice Titans look great for the intimidation factor. A lot of Monsters look great art wise.

casiopao

I disagree, the Space Pirates look like Space Pirates. The Ice Titans look great for the intimidation factor. A lot of Monsters look great art wise.

Actually i agree lol. The monster and enemies all looks much better vs the main characters or hero sides lol.

There is many monster which actually looks interesting both in mechanic or art.^_^

Intel_89

This'll drop just as fast as Codename STEAM did, I'll pick it up when I see it sub £15. Not really interested in another multiplayer focused game and I also have my hands pretty full right now. Glad to see it's not as awful as everyone was saying since the game has been announced, NLG are great devs even when the odds are stacked against them.

Vitacat

Sounds like it's decent if you want a multiplayer shooter on 3DS. But, if Nintendo wanted a multiplayer shooter on 3ds, why not just make Splatoon instead? My big concern is that if this Metroid spinoff game doesn't sell well, and then Nintendo's marketing suits decide that means Metroid doesn't sell well. Ugh.

It's hard not to feel a little bitter given how long it's been since the last "real" Metroid game. Even just a 3ds Prime remaster in stereoscopic 3D for the New 3ds models would've been nice.

Rymuth

We have failed you, OP.

Reviews kind of in-line with what I expected. Middling but not really appealing to series fans.

Yazzees

I wouldn't call this mixed. Accounting for the Nintendo-centric publications I'd say this errs on flat out bad.

Indelible

I will probably pick this up for cheap eventually, I already own every other Metroid game and the gameplay sounds fun enough. I just hope this isn't the last Metroid related game we get.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lol. I feel Nintendo is getting cold-foot thinking that if they killed Metroid franchise there,they are going to get huge backlash from Metroid fans here. They should not half killed the franchise here.

Uukhh. I am really feeling bad here as i really don't see the problem here. Maybe i just had bad taste vs most of u guys.T_T

I would say, the federation pilot did indeed looks bland and Samus looks much nicer there but, i don't find anything problematic with the mech.

Who to develop it then? Considering how most of Nintendo team and Retro seems to not want anywhere close to the IP here?
I don't think this game was made to keep the Metroid brand going, but rather the Metroid brand was used to try and help sell their new idea.

casiopao

I don't think this game was made to keep the Metroid brand going, but rather the Metroid brand was used to try and help sell their new idea.

Ahh.Just like Mario Kart huh. Guess Nintendo learn something this time lol. They should just use new IP or maybe Batallion Wars for this type of idea here. Adding Metroid just end up killing the title here lol.

KingBroly

Banned

You need to ask yourself 'when did Nintendo have the opportunity to get Metroid sales to take off and how did they approach it?'

It's a heavily, HEAVILY, mismanaged series, despite its' former mark of quality.

Aldric

Sounds like it's decent if you want a multiplayer shooter on 3DS. But, if Nintendo wanted a multiplayer shooter on 3ds, why not just make Splatoon instead?

3ds is probably too weak to deal with Splatoon's ink mechanics.

They just should have made this a new ip.

marmoka

Banned
Well, it seems that the game is good, but not for Metroid fans. This is not for me then. I don't even like online multiplayer FPSs, so I wouldn't enjoy this even if I didn't care about Metroid.

Anyway, even if I hate the game, I must confess I'm getting some curiosity about it, because I want to see myself how bad it is. Maybe I will get it later, when it's cheap, in second-hand stores.

It's even weird to see different opinions in Nintendo fansites. I never trust them because there may be lack of neutrality. Some loved it, and other didn't like it.

What about a Metroid Prime port for 3DS? All of them say that the Prime controls adapt well to the handheld. And this would have been well received.

KAP151

Not surprised in the slightest, especially after the whole E3 debacle.

Feel sorry for the devs, but this shouldnt of had the Metroid name anywhere near it.

Eolz

They probably thought calling it Metroid would calm so fans too in the end, but yeah, their usual mindset is "we're making an fps, do we have an ip that would work well with this since we're not known for this genre".

casiopao

3ds is probably too weak to deal with Splatoon's ink mechanics.

They just should have made this a new ip.

Codenamed: STEAM bombing so badly probably scare the shit out of them there.

Well, it seems that the game is good, but not for Metroid fans. This is not for me then. I don't even like online multiplayer FPSs, so I wouldn't enjoy this even if I didn't care about Metroid.

Anyway, even if I hate the game, I must confess I'm getting some curiosity about it, because I want to see myself how bad it is. Maybe I will get it later, when it's cheap, in second-hand stores.

It's even weird to see different opinions in Nintendo fansites. I never trust them because there may be lack of neutrality. Some loved it, and other didn't like it.

What about a Metroid Prime port for 3DS? All of them say that the Prime controls adapt well to the handheld. And this would have been well received.

Well, it is not only on Nintendo fansites though. Some general publications like IGN hated the game while Kotaku had much more positive sound for the game so i feel it is just the game being mixed to the reviewers here.

SalvaPot

I am getting the game later on the week, I went earlier but it was not at Best Buy yet, figures since it releases tomorrow apparently.

RagnarokX

Nintendo hasn't been secretive about doing this with other games and they made it clear that it's not the case with this game. Tanabe has been wanting to make an expanded Metroid Prime universe game since Metroid Prime Hunters but couldn't get the project completed until now. It seems more that budgetary constraints have limited the scope of what he wanted to accomplish.

KingBroly

Banned
Codenamed: STEAM bombing so badly probably scare the shit out of them there.

Well, it is not only on Nintendo fansites though. Some general publications like IGN hated the game while Kotaku had much more positive sound for the game so i feel it is just the game being mixed to the reviewers here.

Codename STEAM should not have been a 3DS game.

Federation Force...
- Should not be on 3DS
- Made to look so bad
- Not used the Metroid branding
- Had Voice Chat, like every other Nintendo Online Game but they won't do it

Nintendo needs to realize that Online Gaming is for for At Home Devices, not Portable ones.

Riposte

You guys should play Code Name: STEAM, it's a good game.

Going off the IGN review, the main problem with it is that the main gun is boring and the special attacks are too limited.

Top Bottom