• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Remastered |OT| Once More Through Tallon IV

John Bilbo

So I never played metroid prime. Without nostalgia is this actually worth checking out?
I'm only a couple of hours in myself, but it seems to be.

The gameplay so far has been mostly focused on exploring and scanning the surroundings. It could easily be dull, but here the text is given in such small snippets the scanning is not dull. The scanning also unlocks some visuals to explore while reading the text so it is a bit like reading panels of a comic.

The atmosphere is great. I recommend playing this one with headphones on.

There is also combat and I think the more the game progresses the more combat there will be.

BlackTron

There is so much wrong with that port i don’t know where to start

DS was gifted to me with this game. I resented they launched it with that crappy port of 64 while being too cheap to even include a control stick. That was officially the beginning of my getting tired of Nintendo's nonsense and the first time I kinda had to pretend to be excited at getting a Nintendo.

sandbood

Banned
I'm kinda getting tired of these Nintendo "remasters", feels a little lazy when everyone else is doing remakes from the ground up...
How is this lazy dude? Retro is fecking wizard for getting this game looks like this.

coma.png

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Say what you want about the game but the assets (character models, textures, maps) were much improved from the N64 original.
nah the port

the mario64DS is great.. maybe the dpad fucntion is a bit miff.. but eh i prefer it above the OG tbh the extra stars worlds and chars. AND MINIGAMES are great!

I'm the first to rag on Nintendo's retro offerings on Switch. Barebones ports of shit like Skyward Sword, which cost more than the originals back in the day, a Mario collection so lacklustre they had to enforce interest with faux scarcity ... embarrassing.

But 40 bucks for this Metroid? Nah, no complaints. This is as close as you can get to a Bluepoint-tier remake on Switch hardware and unlike those they kept the old art direction's feel better. I'm glad that Retro kept their quality standards during their hiatus.

Last edited:

Tg89

This game is just an absolute joy. I’ve been anticipating this for years and still never would have imagined the product we got would be this good.

Extremely faithful to the original while having a superb new coat of paint graphically and improved controls without compromising the original experience.

Can’t wait to double dip on the physical.

DeVeAn

I was playing the GameCube version through emulation days before this dropped. Looks much better but, its darker then the original I’m playing on LG C9. Unsure if I need to increase brightness or it’s suppose to be really dark.

Also why does it burst fire when trying to charge? Strange. Makes charge shots seem like a waste as the burst fire kills stuff before I can charge. This is more then a simple remaster which is a surprise.

Edit: It was the Switch RGB range was set on Automatic which is Full. I switch to Limited and now it matches LG C9 setting which is set to Black level low.

I’ve had it on this for years but since most Nintendo games are bright I never noticed crushed blacks.

Last edited:

Alkemyst

I tried to classic controls for a bit and it just feels so fucking shit compared to dual stick controls. Don't know how I played on the old controls in the original lol

Dual stick feels so much better

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I tried to classic controls for a bit and it just feels so fucking shit compared to dual stick controls. Don't know how I played on the old controls in the original lol

Maybe. The game was designed with the original controls in mind. So a lot of strafing and lock-ons. You never really needed free aim.

BlackTron

Fuck… now I want it.

Playing through the trilogy on Wii with motion controls was one of my best experiences in gaming. Made me a believer in motion controls.

Just manage your expectations. I'm actually about to buy a Dolphin Bar for PC because gyro just isn't as good for aiming at a tv and I want Resident Evil 4 back. Aside from all the other Wii and light gun style stuff you unlock which I'd be interested to play with wii IR, but not gyro.

I don't think it's a huge deal with this game, and way better the option is there, but they said "similar" for a reason. I don't think it will feel as tight as your recollection of the Trilogy, where you were actually aiming against two static points under your TV. Now we have to turn our wrists against some intangible center that has to be recalibrated all the time. Every time I make this switch in a game that used to have wii pointer support, it really underscores how much better it was.

In Skyward Sword, the gyro was used for everything, even aiming arrows. You could unplug the sensor bar. I wished so badly all the normal aiming was still IR (like TP) and the Motion+ was only when tilt was required (sword, special items). It was an inferior tech for aiming that required so much more recalibrating and hair pulling. I know it's way better now, but still can't beat a bog standard day one Wii remote.

After seeing the comparison videos and seeing the screenshots posters here put up, I'll be getting this game now. I thought for sure it would be a lazy remaster with a $60 dollar price tag. As others have said, it seems that this remaster was made with love and care while still being very faithful to the original. $40 bucks is more than reasonable for this kind of remaster.

BlackTron

I agree. I was one of the few who bought this game when it came out and sat down with it. I even bought into the whole "first person adventure" thing and was a TOTAL Nintendo whore and apologist.

It was really really hard to play going between that and Halo because the controls were so bizarre even for a controller. I would play chunks of 20 minutes and meander back to the PC pretty fast. They tried so hard not for it to be known as a first person shooter.

• Love
Reactions: Isa

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The original controls are great, just like RE4 vs new strafetastic games. Sure you're used to doing that in pretty much any game ever (boring) so it feels natural but the originals still play well and have their own distinct feel. Prime was less restrictive given you still had the ability to strafe and strafe jump and whatever else when locked on, unlike RE going the other direction and planting you on the spot, but I still prefer that scheme when available in new RE as long as it doesn't gimp you vs the new enemy behaviours. I suppose that back in the day to me such controls seemed like they made the difference between controlling an actual character that exists and is contained in that world a la Tomb Raider vs some floating camera in your bog standard fps of the day but clearly it goes beyond such a superficial look. I did like the Wii controls in Prime 3 even if it did become more of a standard fps in that way while RE4 retained all the same game feel and only altered the aiming bits after you bring up your weapon (though they could have added some kind of penalty sway or recoil to make it less piss easy in comparison). It did similarly improve the lock on of Prime since you could aim independently at body parts while having that same lock on strafe capability a la Zelda, but of course only some Prime 3 bosses made minimal use of that since you were still able to play the game without that and the series wasn't GoldenEye or anything with locational damage and hit effects (that'd be cool to have in sequels). Anyway, not every game has to play the same and unique movement methods are welcome when done well. People get weirded out by anything different like underwater sections that control like a plane with thrust, pitch and yaw or roll but I love that shit.

Last edited:
So I never played metroid prime. Without nostalgia is this actually worth checking out?
It is, the game is absolutely timeless.

The atmosphere, level design, intricacy of it all. If you had to pick a single game to show someone what the pinacle of gaming is, the original Metroid Prime could be a strong choice.

The Gamecube version was ahead of it's time, everything was done in-game, it always ran 60 fps all the time, clean presentation, polygons for detail. When you play the game just have in mind that everything you see was originally done on a gamecube, if you ask me it's damn impressive to this day. The game had liquid physics on the gamecube for crying out loud.
The original controls are great
Indeed they are, they feel correct to this day.
It was really really hard to play going between that and Halo because the controls were so bizarre even for a controller. I would play chunks of 20 minutes and meander back to the PC pretty fast. They tried so hard not for it to be known as a first person shooter.
They always felt intuitive for me, unlike Metroid Dread does.

I agree with the First Person Adventure control ethos, which was basically Zelda in first person and even think the game was better for it. But the option for dual stick doesn't shock me. I might try it, but I don't need it, game doesn't have the cadence of a FPS for it to make me "inefficient", and the fact is slower actually benefits the pacing of the exploration, IMO.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I agree with the First Person Adventure control ethos, which was basically Zelda in first person and even think the game was better for it. But the option for dual stick doesn't shock me. I might try it, but I don't need it, game doesn't have the cadence of a FPS for it to make me "inefficient", and the fact is slower actually benefits the pacing of the exploration, IMO.

You might be right that it's a better game for it, maybe even better played that way than dual analog. I think that, back then, I just felt so much more effortlessly fluent and in control of Master Chief than Samus. I know, they're totally different games :)

MagnesD3

I'd say it's also in the Top 3 of Metroid games, period. It's an absolute masterpiece.
Echoes is good but I dont really like its World as much, its too Dark or Bright, I remember disliking how washed out it was didnt feel as distinct, I also wasnt a big fan of the Dark or Light mechanic stuff. With that said it was alot of fun still and that Screw Attack was awesome, just wish you got it earlier.

Last edited:

Alexios

Works on PC, but Idk if it's emulation issue, but the game has the worst color binding issues I've ever seen, other games are fine. It looks like contrast was tuner up to 200%, causing color binding and there's no way to control brightness in the game. Why there's not Brightness options in video settings?
If Yuzu, don't use FXAA (SMAA works). My PC's not stronk enough (surprisingly the title demos run at 60fps, maybe they're FMV even though they look in game where it goes down to half, or a little bit better in undocked mode) but I took it for a spin and that took a min to figure out. Always disable emu enhancements first when anything appears wrong. Game looks clean af even at native. So many details lost in the snapshots people share (like that ridiculous door comparison from a compressed youtube screen not showing the shield effects at all). Her armor's subtle metallic texture is fire 🔥

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I might get a Switch for this. Haven’t played Dread yet either. Dangerously close to splurging and going on a Metroid binge.

I guess I’d get the recent Mario people were raving about. Bowsers Fury or
Something?
Didn’t enjoy what I played if BoTW so that’s a pass.

Looking around for deals on Switch OLED.
Nice to hear you can supposedly connect Bluetooth headphones to Switch now.

MagnesD3

I might get a Switch for this. Haven’t played Dread yet either. Dangerously close to splurging and going on a Metroid binge.

I guess I’d get the recent Mario people were raving about. Bowsers Fury or
Something?
Didn’t enjoy what I played if BoTW so that’s a pass.

Looking around for deals on Switch OLED.
Nice to hear you can supposedly connect Bluetooth headphones to Switch now.
Bowsers Fury is awesome, it's attached to the Super Mario's 3d World port.

Trunx81

Can someone who NEVER played the old Prime games before (or any other Metroid game) describe how they like the game?

Would be interesting for me to see how you compare this game to todays output. If it still holds up.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Guys, this is the best remastered game of all time - seriously. But I haven't played this since 2002 pretty much and I'm seriously wondering something...

Like, half the time the game sounds exactly like MGS1, does the composer in that game have anything to do with Metroid Prime?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Prime is my all time favorite Metroid, and after watching footage I’m a little mixed. On one end it looks much better than the original release, but on the other end it’s not impressive looking in comparison to anything outside of Switch.

Debating if I’d want to replay this again. I’ve heard dual sticks make the game a cakewalk compared to the original controls.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Prime is my all time favorite Metroid, and after watching footage I’m a little mixed. On one end it looks much better than the original release, but on the other end it’s not impressive looking in comparison to anything outside of Switch.

Debating if I’d want to replay this again. I’ve heard dual sticks make the game a cakewalk compared to the original controls.
The visuals are amazing and really take it to farther than you'd think Switch can go. It's a masterwork of texturing.

amigastar

It's awesome how the Metroid Prime Remastered holds up to the UE4 demo.

But i have a question is it difficult on Normal Difficulty? Since you can not change the difficulty in Midgame. I've started the game on Normal Difficulty.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
If Yuzu, don't use FXAA (SMAA works). My PC's not stronk enough (surprisingly the title demos run at 60fps, maybe they're FMV even though they look in game where it goes down to half, or a little bit better in undocked mode) but I took it for a spin and that took a min to figure out. Always disable emu enhancements first when anything appears wrong. Game looks clean af even at native. So many details lost in the snapshots people share (like that ridiculous door comparison from a compressed youtube screen not showing the shield effects at all). Her armor's subtle metallic texture is fire 🔥
Yeah, I already figured it out about FXAA. But I'll wait for a few dozen YUZU updates to play the game proper cuz as of right not, it has terrible sound issues and crashes randomly, plus, I wan't to play at 5K or above, which clearly is not an option for now. What they've done with the game so far visually I like a lot and thank god there's multiple options for how you want to control Samus, I hope they'll do the same for Prime 3 and let us play without motion controls.

Last edited:

Alexios

So play with the old controls. Though that also makes zero sense, combat is largely the same regardless of scheme, whether with old or new controls you easily circle strafe enemies with perfect accuracy thanks to the lock on, maybe you just don't have to lock on at all with twin stick controls instead but have the same result (but I best most will prefer to lock). Platforming/navigating wasn't particularly hard with the old controls, just different in feel than standard dual stick, if anything it was made to have those generous floaty jumps to make FPV platforming work well, it wasn't a hard aspect. This isn't like RE4 where aiming with the Wii remote also removed all character based trembling that made your aim off deliberately in the original release for the new control options to have much bearing on difficulty, they're much more of a purely preference thing than practicality.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Guys, this is the best remastered game of all time - seriously. But I haven't played this since 2002 pretty much and I'm seriously wondering something...

Like, half the time the game sounds exactly like MGS1, does the composer in that game have anything to do with Metroid Prime?
This happens to be with Xenoblade 1, Bayonetta and other JRPG soundtracks... Maybe it's just composers using same digital instruments library or however you call it

Alexios

Btw for new players I'd say screw gunning for a 100% scan ratio and only scan what you have to scan for gameplay to activate it or what genuinely looks interesting to you so you want more info on it, the pacing is so off if you scan everything, especially in the beginning where you can scan every door's front, back and there's a gazillion little things in each area, you're better off without doing it at all. Hopefully they tweak this aspect in Prime 4. So yeah, make your first playthrough more organic, natural and fun rather than go all OCD on the scans, you can go for the 100% in a later replay.
Ugh, it's using the Wii version of the scan visor. Not the Gamecube original with the cool magnification effect.
Cool as in a jagged mess that made it hard to navigate with the scan visor, it's much better on Wii (even if they made it not as pixely and a proper zoom or something, if it still took up as much space). For Prime 4 I hope you just have a scan button and can do it without a separate visor mode even.

Games need less "detective vision" modes not more (not that Prime was anywhere near as bad as Batman, just saying).

Last edited:
Top Bottom