• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Remastered |OT| Once More Through Tallon IV

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
How's the gameplay hold up after all this time? I'm wondering if the game builds to a nice crescendo by the end. The kind you get from the best adventure games. Never beat it back in the day.
Few games do it so well. There’s a bit of a setback when you have to collect a few McGuffins to unlock the final area, but otherwise the game is a neverending roller coaster and the final act is pure adrenaline. The gameplay is so smooth and the pacing so right, I always have to finish MP if I start it.

E-Cat

Sorry, I'm legit confused. Switch OLED has an OLED screen on the handheld.
I am asking, when the Switch is docked to an OLED television, do you also get OLED there?
OLED is a type of display technology. It's akin to asking whether you get CRT if you hook up your console to a CRT (the answer is yes).

CRT is a type of cathode ray 'tube' tv that we used to have. OLED is a newer type of tech based on organic self-emitting diodes. Hope this helps.

Garibaldi

It looks lovely on a 4k OLED TV everyone. I've got my Switch OLED docked into my LG CX 55 OLED TV and in OLED game mode it looks lovely. It's 1080p and a bit jaggy (it's a switch OLED after all), but the art direction (now they can push it extra far due to the OLED) is lovely.

I've yet to try it on my old 14 inch CRT portable as I'm struggling to get the OLED to pass thru the RF connector.

Looks Objectively Lovely Every Day.

Last edited:

amc

Game's fucking awesome. A nice update to one of the old GOATS. Got it docked on my 77" C1 and yeah, looks a little jaggy but the game's pure class and looks good enough. Besides, I could fire up Yuzu or whatever and play it at 4K via my 4090 but can't be arsed. Looks good enough and plays fantastic.

Got my XM3s on and man do I love the audio in this. Incredible. I remember playing it on my NTSC Cube hooked up to my newish 28" Widescreen Tosh with Pro Logic and thinking shit looked and sounded like the future. Still does, kinda, in 2023.

Last edited:

Supple

Banned
I pre-ordered the physical. I tried the remaster on Yuzu. It doesn't look very good upscaled to 4k. Lots of low-res textures and artifacting. There were some sound issues and it crashed on me.
I'm looking forward to playing it on my OLED Switch.

coffinbirth

I have this exact figure on my desk! :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

cu6gtln.jpg
Wait...that's a figure?!? I honestly thought it was a render.
That's the figma Prime one, right? Gotta get that, didn't realize it was that good.

Yeah, it has lost its personality and now looks like a generic UE 4 game. How exciting!!

I'm looking at this quote of mine and thinking 'what kind of reactionary, bandwagon troll was I being?' This game is LEGENDARY in terms of its translation of the original game's art style. The art is this game is phenomenal, next-level shit. I've never been so wrong about a videogame in my life. No, I won't be buying it again when the physical version comes out (c'mon big N, that was a shady move). But if it's ever part of the eventual 3 game collector's edition or something, you'd better bet your bottom dollar
Jonah Hill Superbad GIF

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
The 3D mario remake was a fucking joke.
Not even 60fps for mario64
When homebrew had this for years. Inc 21:9

The prime game is a remake i LOVE it
See that's another thing. They made this one a remake, why not the others, when they're much more popular? Especially Mario 64.

I don't understand their inconsistencies.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
See that's another thing. They made this one a remake, why not the others, when they're much more popular? Especially Mario 64.

I don't understand their inconsistencies.
Well to remake mario 64 you need to basically redo everything. You can’t just add shit. Assets need to be redone.

prime is already a pretty looking game in HD.Just add details. And you are fine.

TLZ

Banned
Well to remake mario 64 you need to basically redo everything. You can’t just add shit. Assets need to be redone.

prime is already a pretty looking game in HD.Just add details. And you are fine.
This is Nintendo we're talking about though, not some indie. They could remake M64 but sometimes they come off really lazy, or whatever it is. You'd think remaking such a game held in high regard is a no brainer.

DKPOWPOW

I still cannot believe they had the balls to just shadow drop this wonderful, beautiful remaster of one of the best games of all time.

Fucking A.

It's also so nice to play a Prime game with the controls I envisioned back when the damn Wii U was first shown off... What 11 years ago?

Though none of the enemies have been updated for the new controls, it's still nice.

I hope the Trilogy is real and they are spacing them out until Prime 4. Corruption would be very fun to play with this new set-up.

Echoes is the best, but Corruption has the most enjoyable fights and boss battles.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Wait...that's a figure?!? I honestly thought it was a render.
That's the figma Prime one, right? Gotta get that, didn't realize it was that good.

Good Smile did an outstanding job with the Figma Prime 3 Samus (and they're doing the Dread suit next!) Here's mine on my shelf next to my second favorite hunter- The Predator. :)

xYEtsU0.jpg

Also, wow...I am LOVING this remaster/remake! It's giving me the same feeling of awesome atmosphere and immersion I felt way back on the original GameCube version. Also, the controls are fantastic in Duel Stick mode. The Morphball controls took me a few moments to get the hang of, but overall the game feels amazing on the Pro Controller.

I double-dipped on this one, just like Dread.
I can't wait to finally 100% it again! ❤️

E3PFARd.png

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I still cannot believe they had the balls to just shadow drop this wonderful, beautiful remaster of one of the best games of all time.

Fucking A.

It's also so nice to play a Prime game with the controls I envisioned back when the damn Wii U was first shown off... What 11 years ago?

Though none of the enemies have been updated for the new controls, it's still nice.

I hope the Trilogy is real and they are spacing them out until Prime 4. Corruption would be very fun to play with this new set-up.

Echoes is the best, but Corruption has the most enjoyable fights and boss battles.

Shadow dropping is the new trend

Skyfox

What a legendary surprise! I don't know how they crammed this into the switch which is SO outdated technologically.

Had to pry my switch from my child as I'd moved on to steam deck.

John Bilbo

I'll try asking one last time.

Anyone know if this has Splatoon-style gyro for pro controller? Just wondering. The graphical update sounds nice, but this would potentially push me over the edge.
The game feel is not like Splatoon, but there are several options for motion controls.

Personally I prefer to play Prime without motion controls since the game is built around the left trigger auto aim

BlackTron

Everybody saying how much of a rip-off it is at $40 while I'm here completely shocked that Nintendo didn't try to sell it at $60.

Considering the amount of work put into the game, I agree. They don't put this much work into recreating most games that they resell for sixty bucks. In fact, if it was Nintendo's standard practice to faithfully redo old games with new assets/geometry with a physical copy for $40, I'd be ecstatic and it would essentially make my dream come true lol.

Most of the time you get some cash grab running in an emulator, the exact same game running in higher settings, or even removed features because of their many wacky hardware adventures. Lately they've turned to sub services too. The whole thing is a nightmare.

Banned
For me this game is a lazy Remake but they call it only Remaster..

If they would call it offically a Remake this would rise a shitstorm

they call it a remaster because it is a remaster. I know that many people these days refuse to acknowledge the difference and simply use superficial things like how much the graphics improved to classify them, but that's not how that works. if you do that you should also start classifying Whales as fish then... I mean they are in water and have fins right?

this game runs almost 100% of the original game's code, it simply got a new layer of graphics on top of the old skeleton so to speak...
that's a remaster

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I'm trying to do a combo charge, so I hold the beam and then press X, and nothing happens, no special powerful attack. What am I doing wrong?

edit: nm, it's just for beam not wave.

Last edited:
The game looks like it’s the same mechanically, just with drastically overhauled visuals; like it’s heavily modded or something.

It’s looks different but still has the same classic foundations.

That’s why instead of fighting over it being called a Remaster or a Remake, I think we should call it a Remodel.

Serouj2000

Now there are two Metroid games I want to play on Switch. What to do, what to do….

I can’t justify getting one this late into the cycle for a couple games. The fact that it only goes to 900p is so lame. Dying for a pro-version of Switch now.
Not happening. Don't even wanna hear it.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I’m seeing some people lament that there is no checkpoint system. I completely understand that perspective but it makes me even more excited to get back into this world.

I know there can be some frustrating moments and loss of progress, but I feel like that survival aspect is a core part of the experience. I want to be on my toes at all times in this world and I think a checkpoint system would dilute that.

Last edited:

Deerock71

I’m seeing some people lament that there is no checkpoint system. I completely understand that perspective but it makes me even more excited to get back into this world.

I know there can be some frustrating moments and loss of progress, but I feel like that survival aspect is a core part of the experience. I want to be on my toes at all times in this world and I think a checkpoint system would dilute that.
Sleep mode is kind of a checkpoint of sorts.

mhirano

They could reuse the assets of Mario 64 DS on a Switch remake. But they just wanted a quick cashgrab using emulation.

Top Bottom