• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Remastered |OT| Once More Through Tallon IV

SCB3

Well the Omega Pirate was a bit of a left down, I swear this was harder when I last played Prime, down really easy, got hit twice and not even by her

SCB3

So I need to get the remaining Chozo Artifacts, are these needed to beat the game or for a true ending or something? I swear the final boss was Meta Ridley, but clearly not looking at this guide

hemo memo

Gold Member
So I need to get the remaining Chozo Artifacts, are these needed to beat the game or for a true ending or something? I swear the final boss was Meta Ridley, but clearly not looking at this guide
I believe you need to collect them to progress.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
They’re required to access the final area.

The final final boss is not that great tbh, the first form is pretty great.
Really? That final battle with the music, the VFX, the constant movement, the ever-quickening rhythm of the fight was always very tense for me, a spectacular conclusion for the game. The sequels failed to nail that part, imo.

It’s surprising how that part in the mines is still giving people headaches 20 years later. Admittedly it’s a bit harder than it used to be: the Ice Troopers could be just frozen and then disposed of with a single missile in the original GC release, saving you a lot of trouble. The Ice Beam is never a good weapon to be forced to use, I guess that’s why there is no fire boss in Magmoor.
Anyway, that first dive into Phazon Mines is just a warm-up for what you get thrown at you in Prime 2. I swear the very first mini-boss in that game is seriously out for your blood.

SCB3

They’re required to access the final area.

Really? That final battle with the music, the VFX, the constant movement, the ever-quickening rhythm of the fight was always very tense for me, a spectacular conclusion for the game. The sequels failed to nail that part, imo.

It’s surprising how that part in the mines is still giving people headaches 20 years later. Admittedly it’s a bit harder than it used to be: the Ice Troopers could be just frozen and then disposed of with a single missile in the original GC release, saving you a lot of trouble. The Ice Beam is never a good weapon to be forced to use, I guess that’s why there is no fire boss in Magmoor.
Anyway, that first dive into Phazon Mines is just a warm-up for what you get thrown at you in Prime 2. I swear the very first mini-boss in that game is seriously out for your blood.
I agree, Prime 2 is a lot harder from the get go

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Prime 2 is about where the difficulty should be by default: challenging but not impossible by any stretch of the imagination. Prime is a cakewalk. People groaning about the mines reminded me to go slow and make sure I kept on top of ammo and health refills when I did that stretch and I was barely down on either by the time I got to the end.

In fact the combat in prime is its weakest part because all you do is lock on to whatever enemy and launch its color coded weakness at it while bobbing and weaving. Rinse and repeat every time you backtrack and they’ve respawned (or just run past them to save time).

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Prime 2 is about where the difficulty should be by default: challenging but not impossible by any stretch of the imagination. Prime is a cakewalk. People groaning about the mines reminded me to go slow and make sure I kept on top of ammo and health refills when I did that stretch and I was barely down on either by the time I got to the end.

I’m fact the combat in prime is its weakest part because all you do is lock on to whatever enemy and launch its color coded weakness at it while bobbing and weaving. Rinse and repeat every time you backtrack and they’ve respawned (or just run past them to save time).
Yeah, that’s probably why they respawn so quickly. Anyway the game isn’t about the combat (except for the bosses), just like regular enemies in every 2D Metroid game were always a matter of a couple of pew pews to clear the way. Prime had to keep it simple for two reasons, 1) it’s not a FPS and the combat is not the core of the experience, 2) they had to work around the absence of dual-stick aim by implementing a lock-on system, which works pretty well but kinda trivializes combat to a degree. I guess the quick respawn was intended to spice up things a bit during the constant backtracking; too bad though, that ALL enemies respawn at once every time, so you always have to deal with those turrets and pirates again and again. Magmoor and Phendrana are very annoying to rethread and clean up because of this. It’s the single greatest flaw of the game for me.

In Prime 2 the layout of the rooms and the positioning of the enemies makes it easier to just run past, except there’s rooms with pirates that for some reason lock all doors until you‘ve defeated all enemies, every goddamn time.

Anyway, yeah, on normal difficulty the game isn’t really hard if you have a good grasp of the controls. Even in hard mode, the only real difference is that you get a lot more damage, while some enemies are a little bit spongier (Thardus and the final boss seem to take forever…).

Deerock71

That part on casual is piss easy though. I think it is a combination of the lower difficulty and maybe me becoming decent at the game? I wish I could adjust it to normal without restarting.
Oh...I'll get through it all right. They done pissed me off now. I could SEE how close I was to a save station on my map. Basically, let's just say I needed better ball handling skills.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Finished it yesterday. Loved it again. While it’s one of my all time favorite games, it isn’t a perfect game. Toward the end some of the small flaws I remembered. Like the immense backtracking you have to do and lack of overall shortcuts. And some quality of life stuff, like being able to place markers on the map would’ve helped, and put it more areas that connect between zones to make travel easier.

Also, the frequency of enemy respawns is a little fast, and the pirates can get annoying with all the backtracking. But it’s still an amazing game and those are minor gripes. I hope they remaster Echoes.

Beat the game once, now I’m 90% through Hard mode. Omega Pirate was tense. Actually died to him once and then aced it the second time.

That being said I ended up deciding to dedicate playing with Dual Stick + Gyro because mashing A and ZR for power beam spam is way easier than mashing either or on any other control scheme. That being said other control schemes have caveats.

Ever since the switch came out I wished to play Metroid Prime in HD with Wii controls, well this has that option, but the gyro pointer aiming requires recentering the damn reticule every 5 seconds and it’s annoying as fuck.
lVpO6a3.gif

So then I thought, hey I’ll play it old school with my GC adapter, but if you do that it doesn’t have rumble for some reason?
ZCBpcX0.gif

I appreciate the options but either Dual Stick + Gyro or Hybrid GC controls seem to be the best control options.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Okay as a first time player, First part is fantastic. It is really good but sadly the second part of the game dragged. I’m not sure about the spoiler policy here but:
Going after the artifacts and all that backtracking is just not fun. Not with that map.
As someone here previously said, a marker would have helped greatly and also fast traveling from save point to save point in the same area would have been a great modernized change to the game. Basically copy most of Dread Qol.

HOWEVER, I will jump on Prime 2 day 1 if remastered.

Deerock71

Beat the game once, now I’m 90% through Hard mode. Omega Pirate was tense. Actually died to him once and then aced it the second time.

That being said I ended up deciding to dedicate playing with Dual Stick + Gyro because mashing A and ZR for power beam spam is way easier than mashing either or on any other control scheme. That being said other control schemes have caveats.

Ever since the switch came out I wished to play Metroid Prime in HD with Wii controls, well this has that option, but the gyro pointer aiming requires recentering the damn reticule every 5 seconds and it’s annoying as fuck.
lVpO6a3.gif

So then I thought, hey I’ll play it old school with my GC adapter, but if you do that it doesn’t have rumble for some reason?
ZCBpcX0.gif

I appreciate the options but either Dual Stick + Gyro or Hybrid GC controls seem to be the best control options.
Dual stick and gyro, with stick sensitivity cranked up the whole way here. It's fabulous!

SCB3

Okay as a first time player, First part is fantastic. It is really good but sadly the second part of the game dragged. I’m not sure about the spoiler policy here but:
Going after the artifacts and all that backtracking is just not fun. Not with that map.
As someone here previously said, a marker would have helped greatly and also fast traveling from save point to save point in the same area would have been a great modernized change to the game. Basically copy most of Dread Qol.

HOWEVER, I will jump on Prime 2 day 1 if remastered.
Yea that part is bugging me and actually making me not want to carry on, I have 3 left but they're kinda far away and annoying to backtrack for,

Kataploom

Gold Member
I started it yesterday and it's just Metroid, which I'm glad it is, just not feeling "wowed" as some... Maybe because I just like 2D Metroid more than first person camera? IDK, it looks great btw

RaptorGTA

I think fast-travel between save points would've destroyed the intimacy of this game; the slog between areas is an intricate piece of this experience. I fully confess it's a pain, but I wouldn't want it any other way.
As much as I do get annoyed having to run through the whole map to get from one area to another...the fact you have to move through the whole map means you learn the map. If there was a fast travel option...then the map would lose familiarity. I still will be annoyed but I understand it.

I will say this game has made me interested in playing Metroid Dread. Didnt pick it up but I am loving the exploration and difficulty in Prime 1.

Impotaku

Holding out till March 14th as amazon japan have the physical for £23 missed the first batch but I can wait till next one as I still have my original copies of all of them if I get the itch but I am looking forward to having it in portable form for when I’m on breaks at work.

Banjo64

cumsessed
A9sCJWA.jpg

Just came through the door.

Unbelievably hyped for this one. Dread was my first ever Metroid and I loved it.

I’ve been waiting for a Prime remaster for years to see what’s what. Glad to see Retro handled this and from what I’ve seen, it’s a stellar job.

Diving in tonight and this weekend.

Mr Branding

Give me a week or so and I’ll post my thoughts. I’ve had a rough couple of weeks since the game arrived.
Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Also curious since I adored Dread and metroidvanias are one of my favourite genres but never played Prime. Wondering if it’s largely nostalgia or if the game is truly a stellar experience as ppl make it out to be.

Also, can this be played as a fps with free aim? All videos show some type of reticule auto aim which seems a bit lamey.

Last edited:

amigastar

Also curious since I adored Dread and metroidvanias are one of my favourite genres but never played Prime. Wondering if it’s largely nostalgia or if the game is truly a stellar experience as ppl make it out to be.

Also, can this be played as a fps with free aim? All videos show some type of reticule auto aim which seems a bit lamey.
The game aged so good, is has so much substance. No nostalgia here, never played the game for very long back in the days. It's such an intelligent piece of art.

Banjo64

cumsessed

fallout-please-stand-by.gif

I’ve started the game, I’m working my way through slowly.

I took the same approach with Dread initially. Every night I explore a little
until I find a save point or two.

The atmosphere in this game is absolutely dripping with the same character as Dread. Sound design, perfect. Gameplay is very tight and satisfying, it reminds me of Halo. You can use the left trigger to Z target or just aim freely. Graphically it looks amazing in my opinion.

Without completing the game I can already say it’s on par with Dread in my opinion, my feeling is that by the end I’ll prefer Prime simply because 3D has always been my bag.

If you’re wondering why it’s taking me so long, my baby isn’t sleeping well at all at present.

Kuranghi

I got distracted from this by Dead Spah-che and then REmake 4. I might play some more tonight though, I'm near the end, just got the plasma beam.

Gonna go back and hit up the ice spots I took photos of, do the final bomb slot in the main throne room thingie place, then collect the rest of the chozo artifacts.

I could probably finish with an hour or so but I'll try and get 100% item completion if its not too annoying. I should've noted each pickup so I could cross reference at the end but I forgot 🙃

I love this game so much, what an absolute unit of a game. Did you play it yet Mr Branding Mr Branding ?

DKPOWPOW

I do not know what the hell they did with the sound in this game…

but it’s amazing.

Im guessing I just had shit sound on all my tv sets before… but this game sounds fucking incredible on just my cheap sound bar. I do not remember all these little details and nuances, from the clanging of her feet changing depending on the environments, to all kinds of different things in the environments creating their own sounds (like computers in the lab)… it’s like an orchestra of a synthesized living environment. Crazy.

Kuranghi

Finally beat the final boss about a month ago. Had only gotten to the last boss back in the GameCube days.

Such a joy to play, outside of the splitting metroids.

Same here mate, I never beat it, can't wait to finally see the credits now I'm older and wiser and get how to do difficult things in games without just brute forcing it.

Porcile

The improved graphics and maybe even the sound mix made the backstory and context for each area so much clearer for me compared to the GC game. The crashed frigate is on a whole other level in this version for example but I enjoyed each area. The only part of the game I feel that is out of context, and pretty much my only complaint, are the invisible platform sequences. Just felt like a cheap way to get you to use the x-ray visor. Also, I think it's necessary to use a guide to get 100% if you don't want to lose your mind. Even that's annoying because you can't see what expansions you've already collected. Except for that, it genuinely feels seamless and a perfect example of graphics and art complementing gameplay and story. Pretty crazy that this was essentially made 20 years ago.

The improved graphics and maybe even the sound mix made the backstory and context for each area so much clearer for me compared to the GC game. The crashed frigate is on a whole other level in this version for example but I enjoyed each area. The only part of the game I feel that is out of context, and pretty much my only complaint, are the invisible platform sequences. Just felt like a cheap way to get you to use the x-ray visor. Also, I think it's necessary to use a guide to get 100% if you don't want to lose your mind. Even that's annoying because you can't see what expansions you've already collected. Except for that, it genuinely feels seamless and a perfect example of graphics and art complementing gameplay and story. Pretty crazy that this was essentially made 20 years ago.

Upgrade locations or at least knowing if the room was cleared is my only criticism. The game is a masterpiece through and through.

Mr Branding

Just finished this. I can see why it’s such a highly regarded and reviewed game. It hooked me since the start and it kept me playing becaus the gameplay was super tight and satisfying.

Game has character and is dripping with atmosphere but the music is in meh teritory. It sounds like eurosynth from the 90’s or something and it doesn’t really fit the vibe of the game. Fans hyped this ost so much and complained about the music in Dread that I was expecting something better than what I heard 🤷🏻‍♂️

The boss fights are memorable and I loved how each makes you fully use your arsenal and abilities. Last boss is top tier.

The first person playforming was so much fun and pretty intuitive. My next game to play is Doom Eternal also on Switch but I feel I will be dissapointed by that one’s platforming.

10/10. My son watched me play and is so hooked on the universe that he also downloaded the game and already beat the first boss. 🥹

I just played through this for the first time. I liked it, but definitely not a 10 or anything. The gameplay feels off, just a bit. There is a bit of lag swapping weapons, which made getting hit by specific color metroids, etc annoying.

I'm surprised they didn't add a few quality of life stuff. The game could have used, at least, some form of fast travel. Wanting to check out a specific area required going through all the same paths for the thousandth time.

Also, I feel there should be some form of autosave, even of it's only when changing from one biome to another after the elevator loading screens.

I didn't care for the first-person platforming. It often felt like a guess if I would land on a platform, because I was often jumping blind. That and some areas were so dark it was difficult to see, or having to jump in X-ray vision made visibility even worse.

But, the game was still mostly enjoyable. I just felt a few tweaks for a remake could have taken it to another level.

RAIDEN1

All this talk of this remaster just reminds you of what the hell is going on with Prime 4.....virtually nothing is known or is it being saved for Switch 2?

Top Bottom