• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Abandons 90-Day Target

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
bill0527 said:
I love this fucking forum. You can't really start the week off right without a bash Microsoft thread for whatever reason can be cleverly extrapolited from whatever articles can be found while browsing the net.

Microsoft has sold every single fucking console they could possibly ship in North America and people are still wanting one and can't get one.

But according to GAF, what this really means is that Microsoft sucks and they have no clue what the hell they are doing.

Microsoft is missing their target not because of lack of demand, but because of lack of being able to meet the amount demanded. If nobody wanted this console, then they would have a serious problem on their hands.
look up.. right there a ways above you.. see that up there? That's the point being talked about here.

no one is saying there isn't demand, and no one is saying they haven't sold every unit shipped and could have sold more. what IS being talked about is how much this bungled launch will hurt them in the face of the PS3 launch this year.

Last Hope

The only surprise here is that Moore admitted it. He constanly spins and never admits anything negative. But this is really no surprise. I could tell at launch they apparently missed their number on consoles produced which would end their best expectations of high demand and a total sellout of an estimated 3m consoles.

D3VI0US

psycho_snake said:
Both Xbox360 and PS3 will have huge 3rd party backing, but if history indicates anything is that Sony have the exclusives that really sell systems such as MGS, DMC, GT, tekken, GTA and FF. The only game with the same calibre of those PS3 exclusives we know Xbox360 will have is halo. If MS really want to chase Sony and show that they have just as many AAA titles as them they need to secure more exclusive titles.

I think Sony has a system seller in the Blu Ray feature too. I know PS3 will be my first HD movie player but I'm gonna see how the format wars pan out and I'm not too big on buying movies, Netflix FTW.

Still I think you overestimate the selling power of half of the games mentioned especially to Western gamers. They all have solid followings but MS catalog of games is still developing but much improved. Personally I'm as excited about new franchises on Xbox 360 and PS3 as I am of next gen versions of old favorites. I think Lost Odysee, Blue Dragon, and Mass Effect all look promising, that's 3 RPGS I have to look forward to. Halo 3 is coming but until then I still have PDZ, Far Cry, and a buttload of other FPS. Ninja Gaiden is next up from Team Ninja if they don't have their heads up their asses. Not to mention XBL is an excellent springboard with demos and Arcade games. That's where I think we'll see the really interesting stuff since they've opened it up as has support. XBLA games are coming that support Unreal 3, so it's not just gonna be old school. Potential is the 360's greatest ally, they just have to leverage it properly and that means not letting key games like GTA go exclusive, I know they're probably trying for FF too.

D3VI0US said:
I know they're probably trying for FF too.

Well, technically they've already got that. Many of us will be playing it by the end of the week, albiet in a hamstrung and very clunky form. Still, it'll have summon spells right? S'all I care about.

:D

Amir0x

Banned
For the first time ever, I saw a 360 unit in a store. It was at Wal-Mart, and it was only a single retard pack. However, after contemplating whether to buy it, I went back to it and it was already sold. CRAP

teiresias

labamba.jpg

Anyway, yeah, the biggest news here is Moore not just yelling some insane spin about this but just spitting out the news. It's kind of sad though, the guy is desperately looking for revenge of some kind and can't seem to get it.

lachesis

I just walked to CompUSA on lunch hour at 58th and Broadway in NYC...

I saw bunch of 360 boxes. I mean, at least a good dozen including 'tard pack and premiums - and with my heart pounding, saying "finally all this wait is paying off!" I started to walk towards them.. then I saw small marking saying "display box only".

I kicked around a couple boxes, because I was rather mad. :( And.. no, I didn't get kicked out of the store. ;)

2nd week of January was when I was going to start to look for one serioulsy - and not having enough at this point is making me mad... and I can almost hear the laughing e-bayers with that picture that I've seen here at GAF. :D

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
lachesis said:
I just walked to CompUSA on lunch hour at 58th and Broadway in NYC...

I saw bunch of boxes. I mean, at least a good dozen including 'tard pack and premiums - and with my heart pounding, saying "finally all this wait is paying off!", I saw small marking saying "display box only".

I kicked around a couple boxes, because I was rather mad. :( And.. no, I didn't get kicked out of the store. ;)

2nd week of January was when I was going to start to look for one serioulsy - and not having enough at this point is making me mad... and I can almost hear the laughing e-bayers with that picture that I've seen here at GAF. :D
But did you knock over some magazine racks....? :lol

The attach rate is also skewed by those consumers who bought games early in anticipation of being able to buy a 360. Best Buy is even offering refunds on opened games if you bought them on November 22 with forced bundles.

Sony will price the PS3 to be competitive with 360. Remember, the PSP price was knocked down when Nintendo sniped Sony's news conference by announcing the DS at $150. Sony delayed for a couple of hours and then said the PSP would be $185 US. They had to force-bundle $4 worth of crap to bring it up to $250.

Revolution games will look good to casual and hardcore gamer alike. Nintendo's style isn't to make photorealistic games anyway.

DenogginizerOS

Here is some evidence that all things are not rosy in the developer's world for PS3.

A developer's look at the PlayStation 3

Josh Robinson, who claims to have developed for the PS3 over the past year using one of five developer kits released in North America, questions why Sony has yet to reveal and deliver the final box to developers. Considering that the console appears to be in a near-complete state, that could be a justified inquiry. From the article: "I started [off] VERY excited about the PS3. I was very confident that it was going to just destroy the XBOX 360 just on the name SONY alone. The more time that goes by the more I am becoming doubtful. Everything I’ve developed or seen developed has yet to be 'next gen.'"

Link to Joystiq which has a link to full blog

gimz

well i think the main reason is theres not a MUST HAVE game for Xbox360

most of the games on 360 are also on PS2 and Xbox...

i think 360 will do better when more good exclusive 360 games come out later this year.

DenogginizerOS said:
Here is some evidence that all things are not rosy in the developer's world for PS3.

Josh Robinson, who claims to have developed for the PS3 over the past year using one of five developer kits released in North America, questions why Sony has yet to reveal and deliver the final box to developers. Considering that the console appears to be in a near-complete state, that could be a justified inquiry. From the article: "I started [off] VERY excited about the PS3. I was very confident that it was going to just destroy the XBOX 360 just on the name SONY alone. The more time that goes by the more I am becoming doubtful. Everything I’ve developed or seen developed has yet to be 'next gen.'" :lol

joystiq.com? Is that best you can do? I laugh at this bull shit.

Doom_Bringer said:

I think the first line is the biggest sign of that. Sony has said they've shipped 4k kits worldwide, so Joystiq is telling us that only 5 of those 4k are in the US?

DenogginizerOS

Doom_Bringer said:

It is not the best I can do. Dissing a site that many others here often get info and screenshots from is not the best you can do.

Here is the link to the original site that joystiq was linking.

Wollan

I love every aspect of the Revolution besides the lack of graphical power.
The thought that I wont see sweat drip from Links nose in yet another 6+ years makes me sad(in 1080p).

DenogginizerOS said:
It is not the best I can do. Dissing a site that many others here often get info and screenshots from is not the best you can do.

no-uh dun believe. We get info from neo2046, blim’s site, IGN, GS, 1up, gamefront, videogamerx etc.

Anyway I don't have to say anything, all you xbots and your shit source will be own3d next month. We will see how many of games shown at the feb event look next gen or not.

PhatSaqs said:
Define most please?

Exclusive
Dead or Alive 4
Perfect Dark Zero

Ridge Racer 6
Amped
Kameo: Elements of Powerd 3
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Project Gotham Racing 3

not exclusive
QUAKE 4 (PC)
Call of Duty 2 (PC)
NBA Live 06
Need for Speed Most Wanted
FIFA 06: Road to FIFA World Cup
NHL 2K6
Gun
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland
NBA 2K6
Madden NFL 06
Peter Jackson's King Kong
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06

DenogginizerOS

civilstrife said:
Exclusive
Dead or Alive 4
Perfect Dark Zero
QUAKE 4
Ridge Racer 6
Amped
Project Gotham Racing 3

not exclusive
Call of Duty 2 (PC)
NBA Live 06
NHL 2K6
Gun
NBA 2K6
Madden NFL 06
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06

Quake 4 was on PC. The new Madden and NBA Live engines were created for XBOX360.

DenogginizerOS said:

Here is the link to the original site that joystiq was linking.

Who goes to Joystiq for info. Any site that's willing to post an article that claims there's only 5 dev kits in the US isn't a site that's looking for real info. Do you realise how absurd that is?

DenogginizerOS

SolidSnakex said:
Who goes to Joystiq for info. Any site that's willing to post an article that claims there's only 5 dev kits in the US isn't a site that's looking for real info. Do you realise how absurd that is?

I have seen many links to joystiq on this forum. As to how absurd it is, choose how you want to react to it.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
SolidSnakex said:
Any site that's willing to post an article that claims there's only 5 dev kits in the US isn't a site that's looking for real info. Do you realise how absurd that is?
I did find that mildly amusing.

DenogginizerOS said:
Quake 4 was on PC. The new Madden and NBA Live engines were created for XBOX360.

Yup, just caught that and fixed it.

I'm gonna leave Madden and NBA Live where they are though. Graphical update does not a new game make. If that were so, I should switch GUN and most of the others as well.

m0dus

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
no-uh dun believe. We get info from neo2046, blim’s site, IGN, GS, 1up, gamefront, videogamerx etc.

Anyway I don't have to say anything, all you xbots and your shit source will be own3d next month. We will see how many of games shown at the feb event look next gen or not.

It's when I see posts like this, I wonder how many of these people would fit right in with an Alabama lynch mob. Some of you seem to take this shit JUST a bit too seriously. :lol

DenogginizerOS

civilstrife said:
Yup, just caught that and fixed it.

I'm gonna leave Madden and NBA Live where they are though. Graphical update does not a new game make. If that were so, I should switch GUN and most of the others as well.

Actually, Madden and NBA are inferior to their current gen breathren so I guess they need a class by themselves. :lol

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
D3VI0US said:
I think Sony has a system seller in the Blu Ray feature too. I know PS3 will be my first HD movie player but I'm gonna see how the format wars pan out and I'm not too big on buying movies, Netflix FTW.

Still I think you overestimate the selling power of half of the games mentioned especially to Western gamers. They all have solid followings but MS catalog of games is still developing but much improved. Personally I'm as excited about new franchises on Xbox 360 and PS3 as I am of next gen versions of old favorites. I think Lost Odysee, Blue Dragon, and Mass Effect all look promising, that's 3 RPGS I have to look forward to. Halo 3 is coming but until then I still have PDZ, Far Cry, and a buttload of other FPS. Ninja Gaiden is next up from Team Ninja if they don't have their heads up their asses. Not to mention XBL is an excellent springboard with demos and Arcade games. That's where I think we'll see the really interesting stuff since they've opened it up as has support. XBLA games are coming that support Unreal 3, so it's not just gonna be old school. Potential is the 360's greatest ally, they just have to leverage it properly and that means not letting key games like GTA go exclusive, I know they're probably trying for FF too.
Blu ray is definately going to be a big selling point. Sony benefitted from making PS2 play DVDs and it will work just as well next gen.

I didnt really over estimate the selling power of the PS exclusives I mentioned. Just take a look at the sale numbers for those games this gen, they have sold over 2 million each, which is very impressive.

Its just very difficult to match the quality of games that Sony have under their belt and I dont think MS can steal these games from Sony. Sony know very well that those games are vital to keeping their dominace and will do anything to keep the exclusive rights. The guy at take 2 said he doesnt want to deal with DVD anymore so crushes any hope MS had of trying to stop it fropm going exclusive and it just wont happen at all with FF

I do agree that the games in the MS catalogue will become much better and will sell better. Im sure of that. As long as the devs can fully utilize the strenght of Xbox360 we could have many AAA titles capable of moving systmes. Its just difficult to compete with games that have a huge brand name especially when there are less and less original ideas left.

Xbox Live will once again be an important factor in Xbox360's success, but this time round Sony are going to have a much improved online, which will make it more difficult for MS. Online was one of their best selling points this gen because Sony seemed to have ruushed their online plan just to try and compete with MS. This time Sony have had time to creaate something just as good if not better than what Xbox360 has.

m0dus said:
It's when I see posts like this, I wonder how many of these people would fit right in with an Alabama lynch mob. Some of you seem to take this shit JUST a bit too seriously. :lol

Dude you are the same. You spin for MS and I spin for Sony. Different companies same shit :p I also troll sony when they do dumb shit but you dont

I only write about 2 or 3 lines worth of damage control but you seem to write big ass paragraph.

I mean look at this:

m0dus who is Cukoo for Xbox said:
Soo, launching later and being more powerful didn't work for MS's "4 billion dollar blunder", but will automatically equate with success for sony? and you seriously think the difference between the two machines is truly equivalent to the 1 year technology gap between the xbox and ps2? To say nothing of suddenly having 'worse' third party support? that's funny, because I didn't realize NAMCO made launch games for the original Xbox . . . or that squaresoft was supporting them at all last gen. To say nothing of the excellent support EA has already given them over LIVE (a certain fight-night round 3 demo comes to mind)

I certainly don't enjoy having to constantly take the same side in what is, at its core, a silly argument based on limited scope and consumer-level understanding of a multi-billion dollar market. Nor do I think you will even attempt to see it from my perspective (let alone consider the alternative), but to say some of you seem to be harboring a double standard would be the height of understatement

:lol :lol fucking hilarious

DenogginizerOS

Doom_Bringer said:
Dude you are the same. You spin for MS and I spin for Sony. Different companies same shit :p I also troll sony when they do dumb shit but you dont

I only write about 2 or 3 lines worth of damage control but you seem to write big ass paragraph.

This implies that damage has been done from a SHIT source. If they were such a shit source, I would not have even bothered to try and spin it. And for the record, I wear no jacket, and I am definitely NOT an XBOT.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
SolidSnakex said:
yeah its a load of bull. How can anyone actually take that seriously?

PhatSaqs

Banned
civilstrife said:
Exclusive
Dead or Alive 4
Perfect Dark Zero

Ridge Racer 6
Amped
Project Gotham Racing 3

not exclusive
QUAKE 4 (PC)
Call of Duty 2 (PC)
NBA Live 06
NHL 2K6
Gun
NBA 2K6
Madden NFL 06
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06
Thanks. I didnt recognize the fact since most of the games I wouldnt even consider buying in the first place. Some I wouldnt consider ports tho (Madden, Live, NBA2K6). The initial guy also didnt specify PC games but no biggie. The point remains valid.

xaosslug

DenogginizerOS said:
This implies that damage has been done from a SHIT source. If they were such a shit source, I would not have even bothered to try and spin it. And for the record, I wear no jacket, and I am definitely NOT an XBOT.

a naked troll? is there such a thing?!?

as the world turns.

bishoptl said:
I did find that mildly amusing.

It's really one of the most amazing stories i've read. I can't even believe someone would post it.

DenogginizerOS said:
This implies that damage has been done from a SHIT source. If they were such a shit source, I would not have even bothered to try and spin it.

The site said there are 5 dev kits in the US. Stop for a second and think about that.

DenogginizerOS said:

I think you just did some selective reading there. You only read the negative part about PS3 but you clearly missed this:

Josh Robinson, who claims to have developed for the PS3 over the past year using one of five developer kits released in North America

Master Z

DenogginizerOS said:

Josh Robinson, who claims to have developed for the PS3 over the past year using one of five developer kits released in North America, questions why Sony has yet to reveal and deliver the final box to developers. Considering that the console appears to be in a near-complete state, that could be a justified inquiry. From the article: "I started [off] VERY excited about the PS3. I was very confident that it was going to just destroy the XBOX 360 just on the name SONY alone. The more time that goes by the more I am becoming doubtful. Everything I’ve developed or seen developed has yet to be 'next gen.'"

Do you actually believe this shit? It's pretty obvious either this article is a year old or full of shit. Come on now, EA probably has a few hundred dev kits themselves. And the part about games he's seen not looking next gen, lol, has this guy been living in a cave? Has he not seen Heavenly Sword or MGS4? Come on, do you really believe this crap?

DenogginizerOS

SolidSnakex said:
It's really one of the most amazing stories i've read. I can't even believe someone would post it.

The site said there are 5 dev kits in the US. Stop for a second and think about that.

I don't take a lot of what I read seriously. The fact you guys are attacking me with such vitriole smacks of insecurity. I read that on Google and thought it would be interesting to see how people would react to it. Clearly, you guys have taken an approach that is quite common in today's world - Destroy the messenger!

DenogginizerOS

DenogginizerOS said:

As I read my post again, I fail to see how I inserted my opinion ANYWHERE. Now, I am being represented as someone who believes it. Nice. Why don't you post some evidence that discredits the source rather than attacking me? I don't believe it, but some might. Discredit the source, not the messenger.

KINGMOKU

So, Microsoft's goal with the first X-Box was to break into the market, even if they lost Billions of dollars(Wich they did) and learn from thier mistakes.

WTF have they learned? How to lose Billions of dollars?

xaosslug

DenogginizerOS said:
As I read my post again, I fail to see how I inserted my opinion ANYWHERE. Now, I am being represented as someone who believes it. Nice. Why don't you post some evidence that discredits the source rather than attacking me? I don't believe it, but some might. Discredit the source, not the messenger.

the fact that you site it as "evidence", your own words, is all that's needed. thank you. :)

xaosslug

moku said:
So, Microsoft's goal with the first X-Box was to break into the market, even if they lost Billions of dollars(Wich they did) and learn from thier mistakes.

WTF have they learned? How to lose Billions of dollars?

...and look good while you're at it? :lol the X360 is a pretty sleek lookin' piece of hardware.

Master Z

DenogginizerOS said:
I don't take a lot of what I read seriously. The fact you guys are attacking me with such vitriole smacks of insecurity. I read that on Google and thought it would be interesting to see how people would react to it. Clearly, you guys have taken an approach that is quite common in today's world - Destroy the messenger!

No. Nice try but you are being attacked because you posted an article that contains highly inaccurate info.

DenogginizerOS said:

You posted it and said something like hey, looks like it's not all rosy in PS3 development land! That tells me that you believe what this article has to say.

BTW here's the link to discredit your 'source' http://ps3.ign.com/articles/679/679086p1.html

As for the shit he said about PS3 games that he's seen not looking next gen, just look it up in any videogame website. Anybody with a working pair of eyes can see that he's just plain wrong.

3rdman

moku said:
WTF have they learned?

For one, its a completely custom machine with hacking expected to take years to acheive. Secondly, they own all the IPs on their chips which means that they'll be able to save costs as the generation grinds on (quite the opposite of what they had to endure with Nvidia) Thirdly, better Japanese support...still a far cry from what they want, but a big step in the right direction. Forth, they've learned that they kick total ass online and have only taken it further with the new Xbox Live. Fifth, aesthetics matter. Sixth, you can't give Sony a full year headstart again...they have mindshare and it is probably better to launch before them ....wait a minute...I think you were trying to troll here...

DenogginizerOS

Master Z said:
No. Nice try but you are being attacked because you posted an article that contains highly inaccurate info.

You posted it and said something like hey, looks like it's not all rosy in PS3 development land! That tells me that you believe what this article has to say.

BTW here's the link to discredit your 'source' http://ps3.ign.com/articles/679/679086p1.html

As for the shit he said about PS3 games that he's seen not looking next gen, just look it up in any videogame website. Anybody with a working pair of eyes can see that he's just plain wrong.

This is a story found on Google. Like many, it sounds like bullshit. However, a lot of people read Google. A lot of people are not all-knowing like you and others who have shit on me for this. So, get your spin mobiles busy cause I guarantee you that many people who don't read this forum will read the headline ALONE and use it to spread disinformation. The sad thing is if the headline read, "PS3 Developers Love Developing for the PS3", you guys would champion it even if it weren't true and the X360 loyalists would be labeling me as a Sonybot.

m0dus

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:

Really? when was the last time I called someone a Sonybot or a Nin-tard? As far as 'trolling' one company or another, I encourage you to peruse my post history for my breakdowns of J. "what was the question? Advertising!" Allard and Peter "I'm out of my fucking mind" Moore. Or maybe my discourse on how Japanese Xbox 360's make you sterile? Then come back to me with your nonesense. :lol

edit: To paraphrase a old saying about politics: The problem here, doom, my boy, is that jumping into a discussion on this forum is like jumping into a bog--Either way, you seem to end up dirty. If you disagree with something I have to say, by all means, disagree, I'll respect you for it. Saying I'm 'spinning' just because I don't agree with the abrasive shit you might spew, then we have a problem: don't assume I do it just because you do :)

In short, I will praise and criticize who I damn well fucking please, and if you DON'T think I'll dish out my opinion equally on all fronts, then I'll just have to assume you're simply not paying attention. [/rant]

Top Bottom