• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Accidentally reveals 21 million Xbox Series S/X and 58 million Xbox one sold.

FrankWza

Keep in mind, the Quest platform sold a very similar number in that timeframe at 20 million. This was almost all Quest 2.

But only VR is niche, not Xbox.
Another point that shows just how the representation of their fans on boards and social media is completely skewed compared to what people actually own, play and want. The reveals from the past couple of weeks really unveiled a lot of strange and suspect behavior as bogus.

That's not true at all. They can report whatever they want. Even if they are asked by investors to specifically report their profits/losses, they can choose to ignore them. What are they gonna do? Sell their Microsoft stock? Unless they come out and specifically name how profitable the division is, people should have doubts. They are already playing loose with MAU.
This doesn't even account the acquisitions. Does the $7 billion on Bethesda count as a spending/loss in the Xbox division? How about the $70 billion on ABK? Of course not, because then the division will never be seen as profitable, after such a huge spent on it. Playstation, for example, had reported losses from the acquisition of Bungie in their own division.
Report what every they want ? MS should then say the Xbox is the best selling console ever and made 100 billion in profits.

There it is. Profits from Windows are bundled together with gaming. Xbox gaming is currently bundled with a huge profit center for financial reporting purposes.

Not sure if we had more visibility back when it was the Entertainment and Devices Division? Hard to tell because of the shenanigans going on with Windows Phone/Nokia.

Hence why I said " never reported a loss since the 360 days, now you can put all that down to the PC. I would myself say that MS has also made a few billion off the back of the Xbox One "

Romulus

Another point that shows just how the representation of their fans on boards and social media is completely skewed compared to what people actually own, play and want. The reveals from the past couple of weeks really unveiled a lot of strange and suspect behavior as bogus.

And in a way, Xbox saying "no one wants VR" is just like saying "no one wants Xbox" since they sold the same amount.

Helghan

Just compare it to joke of a console switch is, powerwise, to realise what a diseaster both xbox one and series x/s was and still is , official data for switch is https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...illion-ps2-nintendo-ds-target-still-a-way-off
Because power and sales are correlated? Xbox One was pretty bad, coming from Xbox 360. But Series X/S is doing pretty good coming from the Xbox One.

Xbox in general is doing well. Not as good as it can be, but also not bad. Not everything has to be black or white.

PeteBull

Because power and sales are correlated? Xbox One was pretty bad, coming from Xbox 360. But Series X/S is doing pretty good coming from the Xbox One.

Xbox in general is doing well. Not as good as it can be, but also not bad. Not everything has to be black or white.
Absolutely disagree here, xbox one/one x was doing terrible, lost tons of marketshare from ps360 console gen, now xbox series x/s doing even worse, series s being much cheaper cant compete vs ps5 is proof of that, since its 2,5years from start of the gen, u can tell right away even casuals noticed no point to jump on a sinking ship and they keep on buying ps5 instead, 2:1 ratio worldwide and gap is increasing, nuff said ;/

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
People react with funny emoji, but I've literally seen Facebook marketplace posts where they call Xbox One an Xbox Series S and viceversa
This is spot on haha:

iOgCIE1.jpg

Helghan

Absolutely disagree here, xbox one/one x was doing terrible, lost tons of marketshare from ps360 console gen, now xbox series x/s doing even worse, series s being much cheaper cant compete vs ps5 is proof of that, since its 2,5years from start of the gen, u can tell right away even casuals noticed no point to jump on a sinking ship and they keep on buying ps5 instead, 2:1 ratio worldwide and gap is increasing, nuff said ;/
Sure, you can disagree, if you feel they are doing terribly, you can feel that. I'm just saying that I don't feel they are doing so badly. Going from Xbox 360 +80mil to Xbox One -60mil sales is bad. But currently Series S/X is already at 21 million, with supply constraints due to Covid and xCloud and not having a game lineup that is comparable to Sony.

Knowing what is coming in the next few years IF they are able to deliver on games, I think they are doing pretty good. But that's just my opinion, if you feel they are doing badly, that's fine too. Doesn't really matter what we think.

PeteBull

Knowing what is coming in the next few years IF they are able to deliver on games, I think they are doing pretty good. But that's just my opinion, if you feel they are doing badly, that's fine too. Doesn't really matter what we think.
Indeed, but from outsider's pov- if ur only argument for MS doing good is- that maybe in few years they can deliver on games, u gotta notice urself at least for current situation so mid 2023, it doesnt hold much value.

If/when (hopefully when, since we need strong competition so gamers get best possible value from all 3 platform holders)MS console starts doing good-maybe in 2 years, maybe in 5 aka start of new gen coz then its 2028 already-then customers will start to flow in their direction.
And gotta emphasise here on casual customers, hardcore fans like ourselfs are already on board, and its extremly hard to convince hc fan of one console brand to go exclusively with the other.

Do you put staying silent in the same category as lying? I don't get what you are going for here.
Were are not in N. Korea. I think you can't make stuff up.

So I would say that since Windows profits are separate from the Xbox group Microsoft is making a nice profit off the PC and also console side of gaming. You can be a distance in 2nd or 3rd place and still make money...

Tsaki

Were are not in N. Korea. I think you can't make stuff up.

So I would say that since Windows profits are separate from the Xbox group Microsoft is making a nice profit off the PC and also console side of gaming. You can be a distance in 2nd or 3rd place and still make money...
What are you talking about? I never said anything about making stuff up. I said avoiding to answer questions is not the same as lying. There are legal repercussions for lying to your shareholders but not for omitting details.
'since Windows profits are separate from the Xbox group'
As per the below, this is false:
That's not true because in their financials they don't have an "Xbox division." A while ago, Microsoft decided to lump their financials into just 3 divisions.

mxFRUH3.jpg

There is no such thing as "Xbox profit and loss" in their financials. They just report financials of Personal Computing, which also includes phones, Windows, Surface, etc.

So even if Xbox is losing money, the Personal Computing segment could report profits if Surface and Windows are doing really well.

21 Million, I expected a lot more considering the value proposition of Gamepass+$299 entry point.

A few questions:
-What's the split between X/S?
-What are current subscriber counts regarding Gamepass, etc.?
-How much are they losing per console?

Every little tidbit of info that has leaked out during the course of the FTC trial makes me double down on my belief that Xbox is phasing out hardware once it can find a way to transition it's dedicated base to cloud gaming. The only issue that I see now though, is that they've not made a good faith investment in this endeavor, so we're stuck in limbo, dwindling console sales/core user frustration, third party publisher is where all this is heading.

Netflix deploys caching devices to lots of ISPs, this has the added benefit of:
-Majority of Netflix traffic doesn't egress ISPs Internet peering/bandwidth backhaul links.
-Netflix streams are snappier, buffer less, etc. due to the source being geographically close to ISPs customers.
-Netflix caching device updates it's catalog during off peak hours.

Up until this point, XCloud servers have only been deployed in Azure datacenters, which are super capable, but, none of that matters in terms of latency/bandwidth when your XCloud traffic has to egress your ISPs network. And depending on your ISP, that latency/bandwidth issue could be compounded if your ISP is a tier 2,3,4, etc. ISP with no direct access to a portion of the Internet backbone or an Azure peering point.

If Microsoft was actually serious about XCloud, they'd deploy hardware inline with as many ISPs as possible, which would make input lag/latency damn near unnoticeable, and, make 4K60/120 an actual possibility.

NahaNago

21 million after 2 and a half years seems great for the xbox series x and s considering how slow this gen started for them. I'm guessing that they will simply match the numbers they did last gen unless the ABK deal goes through. My more hopeful side is under the belief that they will actually do better even without the ABK with the next gen console sales with the help of Bethesda in the marketing department.

Romulus

I know you're trolling, but you do realise there's other metrics than sales numbers right? If 20 million bought a VR headset but never uses it, is that "as good" as 20 million Xboxes which are used regularly?

Thread title is about sales.

And thats kinda worse really and hurts the argument. A device that supposedly collects dust keeping up with a mainstream console 😆

Last edited:

lucbr

Sure, you can disagree, if you feel they are doing terribly, you can feel that. I'm just saying that I don't feel they are doing so badly. Going from Xbox 360 +80mil to Xbox One -60mil sales is bad. But currently Series S/X is already at 21 million, with supply constraints due to Covid and xCloud and not having a game lineup that is comparable to Sony.

I agree. Also, we don't even need a console to play Xbox games. So for me, Series are doing very well. Bad was the fall from 360 to the One.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I know you're trolling, but you do realise there's other metrics than sales numbers right? If 20 million bought a VR headset but never uses it, is that "as good" as 20 million Xboxes which are used regularly?
Do you have metrics for this?

I don’t care too much about sales numbers, though it can be interesting in hindsight, but if you guys are gonna throw around persecution complex at least spell it right.
is hard to write when you have a big dick
JsvaIxJ.gif

and...if the A.I. can understand typos why not humans?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
21 Million, I expected a lot more considering the value proposition of Gamepass+$299 entry point.

A few questions:
-What's the split between X/S?
-What are current subscriber counts regarding Gamepass, etc.?
-How much are they losing per console?

Every little tidbit of info that has leaked out during the course of the FTC trial makes me double down on my belief that Xbox is phasing out hardware once it can find a way to transition it's dedicated base to cloud gaming. The only issue that I see now though, is that they've not made a good faith investment in this endeavor, so we're stuck in limbo, dwindling console sales/core user frustration, third party publisher is where all this is heading.

Netflix deploys caching devices to lots of ISPs, this has the added benefit of:
-Majority of Netflix traffic doesn't egress ISPs Internet peering/bandwidth backhaul links.
-Netflix streams are snappier, buffer less, etc. due to the source being geographically close to ISPs customers.
-Netflix caching device updates it's catalog during off peak hours.

Up until this point, XCloud servers have only been deployed in Azure datacenters, which are super capable, but, none of that matters in terms of latency/bandwidth when your XCloud traffic has to egress your ISPs network. And depending on your ISP, that latency/bandwidth issue could be compounded if your ISP is a tier 2,3,4, etc. ISP with no direct access to a portion of the Internet backbone or an Azure peering point.

If Microsoft was actually serious about XCloud, they'd deploy hardware inline with as many ISPs as possible, which would make input lag/latency damn near unnoticeable, and, make 4K60/120 an actual possibility.
  1. We don't know the split for sure, but extrapolating the limited data we did get would mean X|S is around 35:65.
  2. The last official Game Pass subscriber count is 25 million as of January 2022. Since then, Xbox has stopped reporting Game Pass number, likely because the growth has stalled. Phil Spencer also confirmed that Game Pass growth has plateaued on consoles. We also know that Microsoft missed Game Pass internal growth targets for the last 3 years consecutively.
  3. Microsoft loses up to $200 per console sold, as confirmed by Phil Spencer.

mrmustard

Banned
I don’t care too much about sales numbers, though it can be interesting in hindsight, but if you guys are gonna throw around persecution complex at least spell it right.
Don't blame me, blame him. He and his kind love that catch phrase so much, he should actually know how to write it. I just trusted him by c&p without reading properly :messenger_beaming:

Kokoloko85

58 million is pretty decent for Xbox One. I was expecting a bit less. Still its around 1/2 the sales of PS4

Last edited:

Romulus

That's what hype does for you. Kinect sold 35 million in a rather short time frame, but we all know how that turned out.

VR has been slowly increasing for 8 years. Kinect was dead in 8 months before it turned into an add-on. The sales graph is almost the opposite.

And no one else was behind Kinect. Apple, Sony, Valve, and Meta are all behind VR. Probably others.

Very different.

Let's be real, MS is apprehensive because of Kinect, but one VR device is matching their mainline consoles, and Quest 3 is even smaller and much more powerful.

Last edited:

TBiddy

VR has been slowly increasing for 8 years. Kinect was dead in 8 months before it turned into an add-on. The sales graph is almost the opposite.

And no one else was behind Kinect. Apple, Sony, Valve, and Meta are all behind VR. Probably others.

Very different.

Let's be real, MS is apprehensive because of Kinect, but one VR device is matching their mainline consoles, and Quest 3 is even smaller and much more powerful.

Of course they are supporting VR. They are all hoping it'll be the next huge thing. There's nothing supporting that though.

Kinect sold as many units as the PS5 has right now - does that mean the PS5 is a failure? Or does it mean that the Kinect is as big a hit as the PS5?

Comparing sales numbers for two completely different things is silly. We could also start looking into how many gaming chairs were sold and see if that number compares to the amount of Xbox consoles sold.

Last edited:

Romulus

Kinect sold as many units as the PS5 has right now - does that mean the PS5 is a failure? Or does it mean that the Kinect is as big a hit as the PS5?

Comparing sales numbers for two completely different things is silly.

Kinect was an add on. Quest 2 isn't. Xbox S/X isn't. Ps5 isn't. But yeah, if the ps5 sold a bunch of units in 8 months then stopped like kinect? Yeah, ps5 would be a failure. What you're missing is the trajectory of sales graphs. That's important and stands out for all the wrong reasons.

Kinect could have sold 135 million in the same time frame but it doesn't really matter if it dies in under a year.

And kinect and Quest 2 are very different, so I guess comparing those is silly too. You could compare add ons like psvr and kinect and get that W though. 😀

Last edited:

TBiddy

Kinect was an add on. Quest 2 isn't. Xbox S/X isn't. Ps5 isn't. But yeah, if the ps5 sold a bunch of units in 8 months then stopped like kinect? Yeah, ps5 would be a failure. What you're missing is the trajectory of sales graphs. That's important and stands out for all the wrong reasons.

Kinect could have sold 135 million in the same time frame but it doesn't really matter if it dies in under a year.

And kinect and Quest 2 are very different, so I guess comparing those is silly too. You could compare add ons like psvr and kinect and get that W though. 😀
I'm not looking for a "W". I'm merely saying that the whole "QUEST HAS SOLD AS MANY AS XBOX SO IF VR IS NICHE THEN SO IS XBOX!!!" take is silly. They are two completely different products.

Last edited:
That’s good considering the console doesn’t sell at all in Asia or Mainland Europe and relies heavily on North America and the UK.

Brucey

Of course they are supporting VR. They are all hoping it'll be the next huge thing. There's nothing supporting that though.
Supporting by teasing support for VR with series X then dropping all mention of it?

Remember "high fidelity VR"?

"Will the Xbox ever get VR support?
Microsoft only has itself to blame for gamers hoping to have VR features coming to the consoles – after all, it was Microsoft that first suggested the idea.

Before the Series X / S console's were fully unveiled, Microsoft had stated that "high fidelity VR" would be a key selling point of the Xbox Series hardware family. As late as February 2020 Xbox boss, Phil Spencer stated that VR support for the consoles would become a "no brainer," provided that the popularity and availability of VR continued to grow."

PeteBull

Gotta be real here, guys MS is doing bad sales wise not coz of vr/lack of vr, its niche af and doesnt bring money.
What it needs to succed is simply high quality exclusives, thats what switch had/has and what did prove succesful for ps4/ps5 and x360.

Its simple solution to known problem- simple but not ez :)

Last edited:

TBiddy

Supporting by teasing support for VR with series X then dropping all mention of it?

Microsoft only has itself to blame for gamers hoping to have VR features coming to the consoles – after all, it was Microsoft that first suggested the idea.

Before the Series X / S console's were fully unveiled, Microsoft had stated that "high fidelity VR" would be a key selling point of the Xbox Series hardware family. As late as February 2020 Xbox boss, Phil Spencer stated that VR support for the consoles would become a "no brainer," provided that the popularity and availability of VR continued to grow."

"They" as in Apple, Valve, Sony etc, as he mentioned. Sorry if that wasn't clear in the original post.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
Gotta be real here, guys MS is doing bad sales wise not coz of vr/lack of vr, its niche af and doesnt bring money.
What it needs to succed is simply high quality exclusives, thats what switch had/has and what did prove succesful for ps4/ps5 and x360.

Its simple solution to known problem- simple but not ez :)
Nope it's not that simple, there are more factors. Like i said before PS4 was already leading 2:1 before they had a single noteworthy exclusive game and the gen also ended 2:1 although PS4 had lot's of high rated exclusive games and even VR after that.

360 was mainly succesful, because Sony had an epic fail at the start. If Sony had released the PS3 at the same date and the same price as the 360, Sony would have dominated. Another big reason why 360 was popular: It could run "backup discs".

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
So Xbox users are all financially educated and responsible, while VR users are all wild and reckless?

Last edited:

PeteBull

Nope it's not that simple, there are more factors. Like i said before PS4 was already leading 2:1 before they had a single noteworthy exclusive game and the gen also ended 2:1 although PS4 had lot's of high rated exclusive games and even VR.
360 was mainly succesful, because Sony had an epic fail at the start. If Sony had released the PS3 at the same date and the same price as the 360, Sony would have dominated. Another big reason why 360 was popular: It could run "backup discs".
At least back in ps4/xbox one early gen u could tell 400$ ps4 that was more powerful vs 500$ xbox one that was like 30% weaker, and that nasty pr fiasko/stigma of drm on top, but ofc amount of exclusives mattered too later on.
Here in current gen xbox one x is cheaper from ps5 in many places(not talking digital ps5, but normal discdrive version, for fairners of comparision), and has stronger gpu(not much but like 20% or so) and it even has cheaper casual version, still loses hard, no excuses really ;X

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
At least back in ps4/xbox one early gen u could tell 400$ ps4 that was more powerful vs 500$ xbox one that was like 30% weaker, and that nasty pr fiasko/stigma of drm on top,
Correct.
but ofc amount of exclusives mattered too later on.
Maybe, but i just can't see that in numbers. Ratio stayed the same from 2016-2020 when all the exclusives came.

Here in current gen xbox one x is cheaper from ps5 in many places(not talking digital ps5, but normal discdrive version, for fairners of comparision), and has stronger gpu(not much but like 20% or so) and it even has cheaper casual version, still loses hard, no excuses really ;X
In current gen there is no Xbox One X. There is a Series X that is 100 Euros more expensive than a comparable PS5 DE and a Series S that is 100 Euro cheaper, but significantly weaker and with smaller storage than the PS5 DE. So the PS5 DE has the better price-performance ratio.

If you are coming from a 2:1 gen and don't make major mistakes you are gonna win, because why would people switch if you didn't fuck it up? Additional to that Xbox has day1 pc releases + xCloud and Microsoft prefered to use consoles for their server farms instead of selling them when they were in high demand. Microsoft is not even trying to sell as many consoles as possible.

Of course exclusives matter, but some people think way too simple. Microsoft doesn't suddenly sell double >100 million consoles if they had a bunch of >200 million Dollar games.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

Then MS realized games dont really give a shit about VR. See: PSVR.

Top Bottom