• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bender

What time is it?
A little birdie just told me that the Florian twitter account is run by Jim Ryan who is just taking the piss.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
The lack of self awareness in this thread is mind boggling. Remember kids. You should take ALL sources with a grain of salt but let's not pretend that Florian isn't more knowledgabke than practically everyone in this thread.

Sure thing, as long as Florian writes on his Twitter bio that he's getting paid by Microsoft to "consult" (lobby).

90% of his Twitter feed is filled with the Microsoft/ABK acquisition and his tweets seem to go on all day, so it's clear he's not doing anything else, which then means all (or the vast majority) of his income is coming from Microsoft, which then means his views are not impartial in the slightest.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The lack of self awareness in this thread is mind boggling. Remember kids. You should take ALL sources with a grain of salt but let's not pretend that Florian isn't more knowledgabke than practically everyone in this thread.
People here read the CMA's findings and concluded that this merger will be blocked months before the actual decision. Florian kept saying that it'll be approved without a hitch.

Who turned out to be more knowledgable?

That is account handler agency.

People like him don't handle their social media accounts most of the time. They have professional people handling them. Considering any wrong tweet could damage Xbox reputation.

No that's actually his twitter account. Just like Greenberg has his account.

Xbox has their own twitter accounts that they tweet with. As for dangerous tweet well he had a dangerous interview lately which I'm not sure was approved.

Phil is to blame for his actions. You can't make him blameless with this. It's time to accept he's an adult that can make his own decisions.

Last edited:

feynoob

No that's actually his twitter account. Just like Greenberg has his account.

Xbox has their own twitter accounts that they tweet with. As for dangerous tweet well he had a dangerous interview lately which I'm not sure was approved.

Phil is to blame for his actions. You can't make him blameless with this. It's time to accept he's an adult that can make his own decisions.
If you can see his Twitter posts, you will know what I am talking about.
From the Grammer, to the coherent sentence to the way it sounds is all professional. It's as if someone proof checked it for any errors.

Unless Phil is good at his Twitter posts, I don't see him as person who is handling his Twitter page.

I know a lot of famous people use 3rd party or other people to handle their social media accounts.

If you can see his Twitter posts, you will know what I am talking about.
From the Grammer, to the coherent sentence to the way it sounds is all professional. It's as if someone proof checked it for any errors.

Unless Phil is good at his Twitter posts, I don't see him as person who is handling his Twitter page.

I know a lot of famous people use 3rd party or other people to handle their social media accounts.

I highly doubt Phil is some sort of puppet. Sure he might have someone look at something before he posts it but he's definitely in control of his twitter account. Just like he's in control of what he says during interviews. Doesn't mean he says things that are approved 100% of the time.

Honestly its time to start blaming Phil for his actions instead of other people.

feynoob

I highly doubt Phil is some sort of puppet. Sure he might have someone look at something before he posts it but he's definitely in control of his twitter account. Just like he's in control of what he says during interviews. Doesn't mean he says things that are approved 100% of the time.

Honestly its time to start blaming Phil for his actions instead of other people.
He is already done that with that interview. And the internet won't forget about it, like that don mattrick interview.

The only reason I am suspicious is due to his playtime account being played by someone else, considering the hours he has on his account.

Well for one he got the wrong person. Took me no time to figure out which director was handling the case. He just wanted an "it's Sony fault" argument.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Yeah they where quick to jump to say we're gonna appeal

But after they did appeal nothing.

Maybe their new UK lawyers told them to stay quiet. Who knows.

Both parties have to talk a good game until July. If one looks defeated publicly before that date then the other will look for the 3bn off them. If Bobby came out and said its fucking dead right now, MS would look for the money as they will pay over in July.

feynoob

Both parties have to talk a good game until July. If one looks defeated publicly before that date then the other will look for the 3bn off them. If Bobby came out and said its fucking dead right now, MS would look for the money as they will pay over in July.
It will be funny if Activision ends up paying the money in the process.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
It will be funny if Activision ends up paying the money in the process.
Bobby is the smartest man in the whole merger. He sold to give himself time to go on his terms or now it appears to get 3bn and have the heat die down on him. If this fucking merger hadn't started that cunt would be pushed out well before now.

Three

"Where we diverged with the CMA was on remedies. We accepted a 10-year free license to consumers to allow them to stream all Activision games for which they have a license via any cloud service. And why did we do this instead of blocking the merger? Well, to us, this solution fully addressed our concerns. And on top of that, it had significant procompetitive effects.

Consider the pre-merger situation, where Activision does not license its games to cloud services. So, in this case, the remedy opens the door for smaller cloud services in the EU to offer big games on their platforms, widening choice for gamers. The merits of this remedy was recognised across the spectrum - by developers, by cloud gaming providers, by distributors and of course also by consumer groups. And that is because it unlocked the potential of the cloud market."

They realise the benefits to everyone, CMA need to wake up.
This was what I was saying below, before they published the press release yesterday. You also have to take into account the procompetitive effects to the console market would not apply to the UK like they would the EU. Nobody needs to wake up. They're doing their job just fine.

AFAIK the EU were unwilling to monitor or police too. Their reason being that MS convinced them the free licence to stream to current and future licence owners wouldn't require monitoring if it's free. The CMA disagrees and is of the belief that this gives MS control of the market. I've got to agree there. MS can make it prohibitively expensive to gain a licence outside of their subscription service to begin with, can push only windows server support in cloud and can still make the content exclusive or better on their platforms. The EU would not be monitoring that, but they believe MS would not have an effect or incentive on platform support and the inability of MS to reject a licence for competing cloud providers would suffice even with their subscription bundling. I personally don't think it's going to play out how the EC hopes.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah they where quick to jump to say we're gonna appeal

But after they did appeal nothing.

Maybe their new UK lawyers told them to stay quiet. Who knows.

I was pretty sure Microsoft was gonna file an appeal (most likely they have), but it's interesting that we haven't heard anything about it yet.

Remember that in their appeal, Microsoft would have to make some serious accusations against the CMA. It is plausible that their lawyers advised them not to do it.

Microsoft, as a company, would continue to make acquisitions in the future that are not for Xbox. To jeopardize your relationships with an extremely important regulatory body over a dead ABK horse and essentially go to war with the CMA might not be the best path forward.

reksveks

This was what I was saying below, before they published the press release yesterday. You also have to take into account the procompetitive effects to the console market would not apply to the UK like they would the EU. Nobody needs to wake up. They're doing their job just fine.
Don't think the procompetitive line is referring to just console market but also cloud. I think they don't think ABK was going to license out ABK games to many cloud streaming providers if any.

And re the supervision of the remedies, it's typical a trustee.

Under supervision of the Commission, an independent trustee will be in charge of monitoring their implementation.

From https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_23_2705

jm89

I was pretty sure Microsoft was gonna file an appeal (most likely they have), but it's interesting that we haven't heard anything about it yet.
Yeah the only i think we got was an outlet reporting MS spokesperson said they appealed, which is so uncharacteristic of them.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Dis Gonna Be Good Jason Momoa GIF

Edit:

Bwahahaha they literally opt for the shill that gives them the most copium/hopium.

The cult is eating itself.

they are destroying him for telling the truth

can't wait for when the appeal fails too the meltdown will be DELICIOUS

Three

Don't think the procompetitive line is referring to just console market but also cloud. I think they don't think ABK was going to license out ABK games to many cloud streaming providers if any.

They believed that Activision wouldn't offer it on any cloud services because that's what Activision said. They see cloud more as competition to consoles though instead of trying to spur competition in cloud providers itself.

"Consider the pre-merger situation, where Activision does not license its games to cloud services. So, in this case, the remedy opens the door for smaller cloud services in the EU to offer big games on their platforms, widening choice for gamers."

The only thing that can be interpreted as more competition in the cloud itself is the use of the word 'smaller' but I think that's referring more to small cloud services being able to compete as a 'platform' against Playstation and Xbox. Meaning gamers have more choice because small cloud competitors now have the big games too vs consoles.

They are trying to kickstart cloud itself. I personally think they are going about it the wrong way, they should have let it play out naturally. The remedies they've accepted promote two separate "platforms" but don't take into account that there is bundling happening. They treat the original licence as not under threat of competition concerns and a cloud service as separate from it and under threat.

If Activison wasn't going to offer their games on cloud in the future then only activision would have been financially hurt if it took off naturally, as competitors to CoD who released there would have had greater reach as alternatives. Instead what I believe the EC is going to see is bundling issues in the future where the original licence is predominantly from gamepass. Fewer people will seek alternative original licences on other platforms nor will they seek alternative cloud providers due to bundling with gamepass ultimate.

And re the supervision of the remedies, it's typical a trustee.

From https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_23_2705

I wonder what they would monitor? To me it seems like all the trustee would need to monitor is to look for cases where a free cloud licence was somehow rejected. The behavioural remedies do not seem to include anything that requires any kind of monitoring other than the free cloud licence remedy. No parity on platforms/OS, and no monitoring/modeling on original license cost.

They probably set the trustee up and claimed the money MS were willing to offer. Microsoft told the CMA it is willing to pay a third-party agency to oversee its compliance with any agreed remedies too. That might have worked on the EU where they're probably claiming it and have to do little to no work to monitor compliance of a free cloud license remedy.

xHunter

So there is like 0 evidence that the law firm represented Sony between 2006 and 2013, but this shill is just accusing this guy to be biased?

Dick Jones

Gold Member
So there is like 0 evidence that the law firm represented Sony between 2006 and 2013, but this shill is just accusing this guy to be biased?
The CMA receptionist once had an internship at another company and his then manager, got a platinum for The Walking Dead in 2013 and she cried when Lee died.

The receptionist should have recused himself from the CMA. It's obvious he has too much power.

It would be okay if the platinum was gotten in say 2022, a long time ago.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I honestly can't wait for the next Florian defender coming here and unironically saying that Florian is right and not a mental case.

Florian has gone full retard. I hope he gets paid well from MS for ruining whatever rep he may have had before this.

reksveks

They believed that Activision wouldn't offer it on any cloud services because that's what Activision said.
Obviously the only point here is that some regulators don't always believe what ABK is going to say.

The only thing that can be interpreted as more competition in the cloud itself is the use of the word 'smaller' but I think that's referring more to small cloud services being able to compete as a 'platform' against Playstation and Xbox. Meaning gamers have more choice because small cloud competitors now have the big games too vs consoles.
Vs console and obviously the platform holders but the only reason I raised this was cause it wasn't about only console competition which I may have wrongly read out of your post.

The remedies they've accepted promote two separate "platforms" but don't take into account that there is bundling happening. They treat the original licence as not under threat of competition concerns and a cloud service as separate from it and under threat.
Are the platforms you referring to, the license to ownership and the license to stream. Slightly confused here. There will be some bundling re GPU but not sure if it's a massive issue until GPU and GP becomes basically the same price. I also don't see MS being able to make the ability for a consumer to get a license (to play the game) more expensive cause they are still going to be tied to the market dynamics within the b2p segment. We probably need to see a bit more details re the remedies. I don't think I am explaining this well.

I wonder what they would monitor? To me it seems like all the trustee would need to monitor is to look for cases where a free cloud licence was somehow rejected. The behavioural remedies do not seem to include anything that requires any kind of monitoring other than the free cloud licence remedy. No parity on platforms/OS, and no monitoring/modeling on original license cost.

They probably set the trustee up and claimed the money MS were willing to offer. Microsoft told the CMA it is willing to pay a third-party agency to oversee its compliance with any agreed remedies too. That might have worked on the EU where they're probably claiming it and have to do little to no work to monitor compliance of a free cloud license remedy.
It does seem like a pretty simple task for monitoring but unless if there is any complications. We probably do need to wait for the full report. The only reason I raised it was to highlight is that there would have been a EC appointee to oversee the remedies.

X-Wing

I honestly can't wait for the next Florian defender coming here and unironically saying that Florian is right and not a mental case.

Florian has gone full retard. I hope he gets paid well from MS for ruining whatever rep he may have had before this.

Florian is right and not a mental case.
The man is a merger and acquisition veteran and he knows what he is talking about.

/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom