• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
He (the lawyer) raises some great points though.
Bobs Burgers Straws GIF

Bernoulli

M2 slut
What's worse with that tweak town article about the CMA only working on cloud for 4 weeks, is the guy who posted this derek has been following this deal for ages. He does deep dives into a lot of the docs.

He probably knows a lot more details about this case then a lot of us, yet he posts this easily refutable claim. His supposed to be a "Game Journalist" as well.
I wouldn't listen at any of his stuff, sometimes he does normal reports without adding his opinion but when he does it's all too biased
3OpOzKh.png

Bernoulli

M2 slut
I can agree that it took many by surprise. I thought it was going to go through when they dropped Sony from the argument. But the cloud was always a point made by the CMA even early on. It wasn't a last minute addition that was impossible to predict.
It's like everyone is forgetting that EU had the same concerns about cloud
But they accepted the remedy, CMA doesn't need to accept whatever EU accepted

Topher

Gold Member
He (the lawyer) raises some great points though.

Nah, it's just more lawyer bullshit. He already blatantly lied about CMA only focusing on cloud at the end. People need to stop pretending that just because these guys are lawyers that makes them truthful and correct.

For example, it took just a few minutes to debunk his bullshit about CMA's cloud investigation.

Phase 1 Investigation Opening summary

o5BS83I.png

T0E4KPZ.png

Cloud is mentioned 247 times throughout the Phase 1 document

18FW8TA.png

It's like everyone is forgetting that EU had the same concerns about cloud
But they accepted the remedy, CMA doesn't need to accept whatever EU accepted

Thats exactly the issue here. Microsoft isn't denying that cloud is an issue. They are rejecting the CMAs conclusion because it prevents them from buying ABK. If the CMA accepted their remedies I'm sure Microsoft wouldn't complain about their conclusions with the cloud.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
The CMA is probably more annoyed than anything else. But this situation creates a very real problem for the deal, though. Which I imagine Microsoft and Kotick are fuming compared to the CMA's feelings.
It's so strange seeing people here actually reflect on what happened yesterday and understand both sides

When i look anywhere else It's
CMA got shitted on by Beard Lord pannick and the Judge
They are even posting the faces of the CMA team saying look how traumatized they are and depressed after getting destroyed
CMA are exploding and are begging Microsoft to negotiate with them and drop the appeal to approve the deal without remedies :messenger_dizzy:

It's so strange seeing people here actually reflect on what happened yesterday and understand both sides

They are even posting the faces of the CMA team saying look how traumatized they are and depressed after getting destroyed
CMA are exploding and are begging Microsoft to negotiate with them and drop the appeal to approve the deal without remedies :messenger_dizzy:

A verdict wasn't even made.

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

People think this is already over?

Far from it.

:p

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Kotick emphasizes that he thinks Microsoft is a perfect fit for Activision. The company has the financial resources and infrastructure to support the kind of investment that will be needed to remain competitive in the space that Activision has helped define over the past 30 years. “I think Microsoft is by far the best place for us to be,” he says.

As Kotick talks up the virtues of the Microsoft deal for Activision at the close of a nearly two-hour conversation, though, it’s clear he’s thinking about both his next moves and his legacy. Handing Activision to a new owner will be hard, but perhaps made easier by Kotick’s long-standing relationships with Phil Spencer, CEO of Microsoft Gaming, and Microsoft chief executive Satya Nadella. “I like the company,” Kotick says of Microsoft. “I like the culture. I’m really scared about the economy — compensation for talent has been ratcheting up in ways that are complex for us to deal with. So this deal made a lot of sense.”

graywolf323

he has to talk like that until July in order to get the $3 billion

edit: also what a puff piece by Variety, they don’t even really go into the allegations that WSJ reported back in November 2021…

Last edited:

sainraja

the point is that if the appeal starts before the 17th activision can't pull out of the appeal because they are in, it's basically microsoft forcing Activision to stay if the appeal was put on before the 18th

if the appeal is after the 18th Activision can decide to not extend and that means it's over there won't be an appeal anymore because there is no more deal
Assuming Activision wants out of the deal, I kinda have a feeling that they don't. They will see it through along with MS, given that they want it as much as MS does. I am at a point where, well, if they want each other so badly, let them be with each other. :D

I don't think it is a good decision for a big publisher like A&B to be gobbled up like that but it is, what it is.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I wouldn't listen at any of his stuff, sometimes he does normal reports without adding his opinion but when he does it's all too biased
3OpOzKh.png

Oh yeah, I remember when Phil Spencer followed him right after the article he got caught out on with the wrong person targeted.
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Nah, it's just more lawyer bullshit. He already blatantly lied about CMA only focusing on cloud at the end. People need to stop pretending that just because these guys are lawyers that makes them truthful and correct.

For example, it took just a few minutes to debunk his bullshit about CMA's cloud investigation.

o5BS83I.png

T0E4KPZ.png

18FW8TA.png

You are replying to a script. You can see the patterns clear as day.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member

Yeah. What happened yesterday was:

• The judge wanted a clear definition from the CMA about cloud gaming, which he said he felt assured the CMA would bring in order to have clarity on how it came to its decision
  • He made it clear that he is not fooled by what Microsoft is attempting to do by backfilling information with supposed "experts", which they had the opportunity months ago to provide
  • He set a date to start the actual hearing, which was not preferable to anyone, but more so stressing to the MS and ABK lawyers as the dates sit well outside the deadline for the deal
That's pretty much it.

NickFire

Not sure they would want to be locked out of third party marketing deals for future unannounced games should this go on for a couple of years (FTC dragging ass, etc.)

A lot of reliance factors to weigh on.
The console sales ratios (install base v. purchases) for Diablo will be interesting. Will it have a significantly lower attach rate where people are hoping it comes to subscription, or be relatively static?

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Why leave out the best parts :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Kotick, 60, is remarkably sanguine for a CEO fighting battles on multiple fronts. He’s in a similar predicament to the one that AT&T and Time Warner were five years ago, as he’s spent the past 18 months (and counting) lobbying regulators to approve the sale of Activision Blizzard to Microsoft for $69 billion in cash.

That said, if the deal doesn’t go through, Activision will soldier on with a balance sheet that is bolstered by $12.6 billion in cash on the books. That amount will grow by nearly $3 billion if Microsoft has to pay Activision the deal breakup fee negotiated as part of the transaction. That’s a lot of cash to wield, should Kotick decide to go shopping for other companies.

He made it clear that he is not fooled by what Microsoft is attempting to do by backfilling information with supposed "experts", which they had the opportunity months ago to provide

I guess the question I have is why Microsoft didn't provide the CMA with that information?

If that information would have lead to them not blocking it I don't see why they didn't provide it. It makes me question on the validity of that information.

Varteras

Gold Member
I guess the question I have is why Microsoft didn't provide the CMA with that information?

If that information would have lead to them not blocking it I don't see why they didn't provide it. It makes me question on the validity of that information.

Which I'm sure both the CMA and CAT have taken note of.

Bernoulli

M2 slut

That info will probably be an "expert" analysis from those lobbyists that you can buy to be an expert and side with you in court :messenger_winking:

jm89

Going to have to restart my laptop (stupid camera issue) which means I am going to lose the tab. Unfortunately we are all going to have to try and remember what was said.
Apparently the transcript will be out eventually. So it doesn't become a game of chinese whispers and we lose what was actually said.

Varteras

Gold Member
They did have months to give the information to the CMA. If Microsoft recently made it or was hiding it that could be a problem.

That would absolutely be my question and I believe it is the question they are raising. You had many months to provide this information. You were told what the concerns were. You did not then provide sufficient evidence that cloud gaming was not an issue and instead focused heavily on console gaming.

Your only means of addressing concerns were 10-year deals with some existing entities, with a very unusual revenue demand (100%), and no remedies in place to deal with future entrants. The CMA made it clear they don't want to police you, so your only options were to provide a remedy that was sufficient in their eyes (divestment) or solid information to show you're not that strong in the cloud market or that the cloud market isn't really a thing.

One that you have been spending many billions positioning yourself in and made public statements about your real competitors being Amazon and Google. Who just happen to be the two other big cloud entities. Also now with more public comments by Phil Spencer that Xbox really isn't trying to compete with Nintendo or Sony in the console space. So where are you trying to compete that this deal is needed? Clearly you DO think cloud gaming is a big deal going forward.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ah yes, let's dive into this "non-profit's" donor list and portfolio values, shall we?
AIER owns American Investment Services Inc., an investment advisory firm whose fund was valued at around $285 million in 2020.[24][8] The fund includes holdings in a wide range of companies, but holds a majority of its assets in diversified exchange-traded funds and gold investments. In 2020, about 14% of its investments were in information technology and telecom companies including Microsoft and Alphabet Inc., about 6% in electric and gas utilities, 5% in fossil fuel companies including Chevron and ExxonMobil, and 2% in food, alcohol, and tobacco stocks, including Mondelez International and Philip Morris International.[8][25]

Over half of AIER's funding comes from its investments, but it also receives contributions and foundation grants. In 2018 it reportedly received US$68,100 from the Charles Koch Foundation, approximately 3% of AIER's revenue for the year.[20][8][14][1] It has partnered with Emergent Order, a public relations company also funded by the Charles Koch Foundation.[8]

In 2019 the American Institute for Economic Research had total assets of $184,901,564.[3]

Funding details as of 2019:[3]

Varteras

Gold Member
Ah yes, let's dive into this "non-profit's" donor list and portfolio values, shall we?
gta GIF

help! oh no! GIF by South Park

She ded

That would absolutely be my question and I believe it is the question they are raising. You had many months to provide this information. You were told what the concerns were. You did not then provide sufficient evidence that cloud gaming was not an issue and instead focused heavily on console gaming.

Your only means of addressing concerns were 10-year deals with some existing entities, with a very unusual revenue demand (100%), and no remedies in place to deal with future entrants. The CMA made it clear they don't want to police you, so your only options were to provide a remedy that was sufficient in their eyes (divestment) or solid information to show you're not that strong in the cloud market or that the cloud market isn't really a thing.

One that you have been spending many billions positioning yourself in and made public statements about your real competitors being Amazon and Google. Who just happen to be the two other big cloud entities. Also now with more public comments by Phil Spencer that Xbox really isn't trying to compete with Nintendo or Sony in the console space. So where are you trying to compete that this deal is needed? Clearly you DO think cloud gaming is a big deal going forward.

All that effort but Microsoft forgets to submit evidence to the CMA?

I'm not sure if I buy it because they would definitely try to address all of the CMAs concerns to get this through. I can understand Microsoft not wanting to give more when it comes to concessions, but they shouldn't hesitate to provide evidence.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed

o5BS83I.png

T0E4KPZ.png

18FW8TA.png

Using Microsoft’s beloved word count against them.

GIF by MOODMAN

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
I was in limbo due to my exams (I'm a teacher tho), but I assume despite more speedy CAT procedure CMA is still a roadblock with the dates well outside the deadline?

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Microsoft and ABK will have to renegotiate. Yeah there's still a big hurdle ahead for them unlike what that crazy guy is saying.
Skimmed through a few last pages and had the same felling. Thanks for the summary!

Based on the Interview, I'd say Bobby already said his farewells to the deal.

Last edited:

DJ12

o5BS83I.png

T0E4KPZ.png

18FW8TA.png

Pretty sure during the depp-turd trail I watched blackbelt barrister say a lawyer telling lies is actually against the law and they could be punished for it.

Would love to see the CMA get the douche done for it lol.

Kvally

Banned

feynoob

Sounds like Bobby is joining Microsoft games studios one way or another. He's gushing.
Not to mention, he is gonna get 300+ m if this deal is approved. That is much better for him than the 3b that Activision as a company will get.

Also MS will pay him a lot of money and with their bonuses, he is gonna rake a lot of money.

feynoob

I mean, would we really be shocked if he was hired by Microsoft to replace Phil Spencer?
I don't think MS will replace Phil at any time soon.

He is the guy that spearheading their project. Plus he is a PR figure for them. That is why they stayed with him for that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom