• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolomite

Bro did they redact this document with a grey whiteboard marker😂😂
7Doepkc.png

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't know, i feel like we still aren't getting the full picture here as far as Jim/Sony are concerned... we've heard him say that the deal was inadequate, we've heard him say if MS puts an inferior version of COD out their business may never recover, we've seen that they are rejecting even a 10 year deal, we've heard them say Starfield exclusivity isn't anti-competitive, etc etc. Then we've also seen that Sony aren't even worried about COD or exclusives in the first place... and now importance of mobile. I mean what are we really worried about here Sony? It still feels all smoke and mirrors in my opinion.
That's fine to think that way, it does not make the point I quoted incorrect.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

After this case is done and Microsoft buys Activision, nobody in the gaming industry will send emails anymore.

How is that really bombshell when Jim has already said in his testimony that at that point, he was under the impression that ABK games will remain multiplatform. But after the August email and Phil Spencer's list of games in the email, he realized that MS intends to make these games exclusive?

Kilau

Nah i dont think this changes anything, i just appreciate the transparency being put on display from both sides. This is all the stuff i've been waiting to see through the whole process.
The more interesting part to me is his reference to Yves. If we all remember when Ubi was facing a hostile takeover, Yves said they would be buying a shell, all the employees would leave. I don’t think that would happen with ABK en masse but it is a consideration especially when eyeing large Japanese publishers.

It also highlights the different acquisition strategies, Sony is basically hiring people and MS is buying content.

Ozriel

M$FT
these bitches really don’t even say ‘good morning/afternoon’ at the begging of their emails, nor ‘thanks/king regards’ at the bottom?

they represent the highest echelon of their respective divisions.

just seen Jim said ‘regards’ at the end of his at least.

I've never been able to shake the habit of ending with some variant of 'warm/kind/best regards' myself

Darsxx82

That is, for JIm the one appropriate agreement was that MS would continue to launch all Activision games, with equal content, quality, no Gamepass, and day one without time limit... and also that MS happened to do the same with Bethesda Zenimax games?

Definitely the "we do not want any agreement, we just want the acquisition to be blocked"

Funny after that in internal conversations he said that the acquisition would not affect or that everything was about COD in his statements to regulators.

PaintTinJr

these bitches really don’t even say ‘good morning/afternoon’ at the begging of their emails, nor ‘thanks/kind regards’ at the bottom?

they represent the highest echelon of their respective divisions.

just seen Jim said ‘regards’ at the end of his at least.
Jim's says "regards" at the end, (on page 3) to keep it civil from PlayStation :)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That is, for JIm the one appropriate agreement was that MS would continue to launch all Activision games, with equal content, quality, no Gamepass, and day one without time limit... and also that MS happened to do the same with Bethesda Zenimax games?

Definitely the "we do not want any agreement, we just want the acquisition to be blocked"

Funny after that in internal conversations he said that the acquisition would not affect or that everything was about COD in his statements to regulators.
Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

How is that really bombshell when Jim has already said in his testimony that at that point, he was under the impression that ABK games will remain multiplatform. But after the August email and Phil Spencer's list of games in the email, he realized that MS intends to make these games exclusive?
At that time, Sony thought something about the exclusivity that may not be true.
Are their opinions on talent leaving, Microsoft overpaying and King being the major asset also wrong? What about their cost evaluation for COD exclusivity?

NickFire

IMO, the Phil and Jim email exchange is a master class in how two industry titans passively aggressively say F you to each other. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Based only on those two emails, I say Phil won the "Go F yourself" email contest. His response is exactly 3 months later. It went straight into "we would like to find a way to maintain that relationship . . ." mode, which meant they'd be fine pulling all content in case Jim did not play ball. It limited the "commitment" to just COD and existing games. And it would allow MS to stop supporting PS before the next generation comes out.

No question, Phil flexed harder in that exchange. And if Jim didn't realize where this was going before that August email, he certainly knew the second he read it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't think Chris Deering's email is of any consequence. Sounds like folks just puffing their chest out. I think Matt Booty's email is more significant, though I'm still on the fence as to whether it is detrimental to Microsoft's case. One could say he's also puffing out his chest, but he's talking numbers, the future of Xbox and it's potential acquisitions and literally says they could spend Sony out of business. I've said it before, but it kinda boils down to who agrees with him. Was there a response from Tim on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom