• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Nik Wallenda Hero GIF by Volcano Live! with Nik Wallenda

chonga

Soooo, in summary
Jim Ryan
- somehow thinks that Xbox Series X is supply constrained and is selling good (unlike people around here)
- Murica players likes shooty shooty stuff and that's why COD is more popular there
- he doesn't remember if he met with regulatory bodies after october 2022 (wtf?)
- Nintendo is somehow part of console market but they are not Sony's competitor (???)
- Nintendo is played by bunch of kids despite fact that Nintendo infographic proves otherwise
- Don't think that Starfield exclusivity is anti-competitive (unlike PS fans around here)
- Thinks that COD devs would sabotage PS version of COD despite fact that there is no proof that Microsoft ever did it with PS versions of their games
- He flipped because Microsoft promised him Overwatch 1 and not Overwatch 2 despite game being SAME SKU (wtf?)
- thinks that Microsoft would engage in partial foreclosure of COD because of Game Pass despite Microsoft offering him ability to put COD into PS Plus day one
- He "doesn't listen to calls" where he said to the investors that he doesn't think that Activision merger would hurt Sony (wtf?)
- He "doesn't know" if they could be competitve if deal goes through (isn't he CEO of SIE though?)
- He refused to negotiate deal with Bobby Kotick to have COD on PlayStation
- Publishers "unanimously" don't like Game Pass (despite the fact that many of them are putting day one games into Game Pass like Square Enix, Capcom, Ubisoft, Focus Entertainment etc.)
- Does not think that cloud gaming is separate market (HAHAHAHAHA)

Yeah. It was fun :messenger_grinning:

Meanwhile, ABK share price is almost at 85$. So I guess that market also agrees that FTC is making spectacular job...to not have PI
I mean there's lots to unpick there, but picking an easy one out - Nintendo can both be in the console space and not be a competitor to Sony (or Microsoft).

It isn't false logic.

Think about the car market. Both Ferrari and Ford are in it, but they do not compete. They target different people, they offer products for different use cases.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Why did it take Phil 3 months to reply?
Because Jim was playing hardball and these are negotiations with regulators in the end.

MS likely knew at that point Sony wouldn't agree to anything, so they took their time crafting what the maximum they'd be willing to agree to for the sake of showing it to regulators/the world, and not to Sony themselves who was never going to say "Ok sure, we'll sign this."

If MS had their way they'd never promise anyone COD, this is all for the sake of getting the deal past regulators.

MS probably argued internally a lot about ever promising anyone anything for 10 years, but came up with that strategy after a few months.

Why would they be in a hurry to respond to Jim Ryan, really? lol Once he responded like that they go back to the drawing board with lawyers, Satya, the CFO, etc.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Irrelevant

LOL. It's a conversation with Jim Ryan. With the fucking current president of SONY.... If for you it is irrelevant when it comes to elucidating the importance of Activision for PS ...OK

Edited my post. Previously I said none of that was from Ryan, but I missed the part at the top. So yes, that portion is relevant, but not Deering's take on it.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
And how much of that "conversation" is from Jim Ryan? None. We only see the thoughts of a guy who hasn't work for Sony since 2005. Sorry....but no, what he thinks is no more relevant than what Don Mattrick thinks.
Maybe if I email Phil Spencer that Nintendo make nail bombs, then that means Spencer wrote it and/or approved it.

Fuck Phil Spencer for spreading lies about Nintendo. 🙄

IntentionalPun

If he said that I guess it means ABK has no plans to extend, unless he’s lying.
From what I've read, the PI is a huge part of this process. If the FTC loses they are probably dead in the water, and if the FTC wins they are probably going to be able to block the deal.

So I doubt he's lying, this PI is a huge deal, hence all this testimony.

Kilau

From what I've read, the PI is a huge part of this process. If the FTC loses they are probably dead in the water, and if the FTC wins they are probably going to be able to block the deal.

FTC losing definitely ends their case, the judge basically granting the merger right there. It’s not that drastic on the other side if both parties are still willing.

IntentionalPun

FTC losing definitely ends their case, the judge basically granting the merger right there. It’s not that drastic on the other side if both parties are still willing.
Well at some point ATVI needs to get back to normal and divorce themselves from this. Their stock is basically held hostage by this process, and honestly the CMA is still such a massive hurdle to get past. The deal is still very likely to fail either way, but a loss against the FTC for this PI is going to not look good.

RaZoR No1

Think about the car market. Both Ferrari and Ford are in it, but they do not compete. They target different people, they offer products for different use cases.
What about the Ford GT?
I mean we literally have a movie named Ford vs Ferrari (Lemans 66)

(I know I am nitpicky here)

NickFire

It really does seem they intend to close if the PI is denied. Worst case is they would have to divest if they lost the full blown FTC case, but they probably view the risk as miniscule if the FTC can't get an injunction. That probably is a reasonably calculation to be fair, as the FTC needs the courts to enforce anything they decide I think.

But I'm still really confused as to why this CMA decision seemingly means nothing. MS would probably lose big money if they had to divest because of CMA, but they don't seem to care a smidgen about that decision. I'm on the fence between: MS has gotten so big they can laugh at the thought of ceasing operations in the UK, and we've been duped about how much the CMA decision means in substantive or practical terms.

tmlDan

God this guy is such a simpleton. That is like the least important / most obvious thing said ever.

I really really am flabbergasted people still quote this Benji guy lol
not even worth reading his threads, he is so uneducated - his opinions don't come with an article or explanations it seems like he just says "I don't get it but looks bad for *blank*"

Darsxx82

Edited my post. Previously I said none of that was from Ryan, but I missed the part at the top. So yes, that portion is relevant, but not Deering's take on it.
The thing is, it's not Deering's simple opinion. In that response Dring is supporting Jim Ryan's opinion that Playstation will be more than fine and that the acquisition will not do any damage to the position of the company. It is a testament to the widespread opinion within SONY regarding MS-ABK.

Phil said they acquired ABK because they need their expertise in the mobile division. Now the FTC is showing how this cannot be true since Tencent and other developers are the ones who actually developed games for them.
That's a schedule vs technical capability issue. The FTC's angle is retarded.

SixPin

Neo Member
God this guy is such a simpleton. That is like the least important / most obvious thing said ever.

I really really am flabbergasted people still quote this Benji guy lol
Derek is much better. I don't agree with him always, but he's more professional, and covers way more stuff. Benji seems to tweet the most obvious stuff

Topher

Gold Member
The thing is, it's not Deering's simple opinion. In that response Dring is supporting Jim Ryan's opinion that Playstation will be more than fine and that the acquisition will not do any damage to the position of the company. It is a testament to the widespread opinion within SONY regarding MS-ABK.

Deering could disagree with Ryan and it still wouldn't matter. But it needs to be said that this was Ryan's initial opinion on the matter which changed drastically after Phil Spencer sent him an offer pledging COD to PS three years after the end of the current agreement. Jim and Phil eventually reached an impasse.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Phil said they acquired ABK because they need their expertise in the mobile division. Now the FTC is showing how this cannot be true since Tencent and other developers are the ones who actually developed games for them.
I think you're forgetting about the "K". King has expertise in mobile. COD being made by Tencent doesn't really mean anything. Tencent has a proven record translating popular shooters into the mobile format. i.e. PUBG Mobile. Apex Mobile.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Deering could disagree with Ryan and it still wouldn't matter. But it needs to be said that this was Ryan's initial opinion on the matter which changed drastically after Phil Spencer sent him an offer pledging COD to PS three years after the end of the current agreement. Jim and Phil eventually reached an impasse.
Short and to the point. But some intellectually dishonest people are dug in, for the brand™.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

this is big, microsoft's narrative according to which cod will become available on more than 150 million more players (at least 120) only thanks to the deal has collapsed

Honestly, they should just wait for the next thing Nintendo comes out with. I mean you could very well possibly be controlling your character with your feet given Nintendo's tendency to mix up the peripherals, but hey at least it'll likely be more graphically capable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom