• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varteras

Gold Member
but minecraft dungeons and heroes were made long after that aquisition...... you might find it hard to believe but maybe they actually wanted to continue to keep minecraft's fanbase as one unified thing regardless of platform and keep games set in that world, as multiplatform to keep that player base together? its perfectly plausible.
What are you talking about? Dungeons was released in 2020. Mojang was bought in 2014. Spencer wanted to make it exclusive. They've shown a willingness to foreclose even if it doesn't make financial sense.

PaintTinJr

Why would they do that when they currently sell a fuck ton of copies day one?
Agreed, but that isn't even the reason the judge would have wanted.

Jim said GoW and TLOU2 each cost hundreds of millions in dev costs, and the same again for marketing, which can't be returned day and date from a $10 sub.

VAVA Mk2

Pete Hines - Are we a joke to you?
Someone needs to make a Pete Hines gif out of that raining Don Mattrick gif:

Rly41gB.gif

Varteras

Gold Member
But dungeons is on playstation. i think is the point.
The point I'm making is that Spencer wanted to do it, even though it wouldn't make financial sense. Then they foreclosed all Zenimax games. Which doesn't make financial sense either. Especially as most of them don't sell well.

RickMasters RickMasters I misread the first part of your post. The rest I stand by.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The point I'm making is that Spencer wanted to do it, even though it wouldn't make financial sense. Then the foreclosed all Zenimax games. Which doesn't make financial sense either. Especially as most of them don't sell well.

But that's what we're trying to say lol, he wanted to do it, but later he didn't want to do it. And the final decision he made was the one where he didn't want to do it. Considering he's the guy who has the say in the exclusivity matters, that's pretty much an open and close case.

RickMasters

"Why won't Sony just make their subscription better" is like saying "Why not instead of buying Activision Microsoft just make better games?".

Is it? sonyt dont put their games day one on their service. Id say there's room for improvement there...if they want to compete. But I guess they cant eat that cost like MS......

"Why not instead of buying Activision Microsoft just make better games?".

Given that their inhouse studios are making some descent looking games (going by the recent showcase....I know im looking forward to forza, fable, hellblade 2 and starfield, but no need for lists, eh? just stating that they have games clearly) and they are also buying studios (and publishers)...its reasonable to assume they are doing both, no? that they are addressing their weaknesses, eh? I mean....you have to invest in your devs and buy more if you want to build a robust subscription service that meets the needs of gamers with differing tastes? there will be more aquisitions....by both. get used to it. no industry escapes consolidation...... the music biz got redeces to three bi g players...the movie biz is the same..... gaming is a three horse race so its already halfway their....funnt thing is sony has no problem with consolidation in the music or movie biz......what makes you think they wouldnt buy the whole show if they could too? they have done it in movies and music already.....

DrFigs

The point I'm making is that Spencer wanted to do it, even though it wouldn't make financial sense. Then the foreclosed all Zenimax games. Which doesn't make financial sense either. Especially as most of them don't sell well.
I agree 100% wrt Zenimax games. But the fact that Dungeons is on ps? I don't think MS had to put it on there? At least with the original release of Minecraft, it seems that it was already on ps4 when they were purchased (or at least ps had an agreement with mojang) so it's not like it would have been possible to remove it.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
But that's what we're trying to say lol, he wanted to do it, but later he didn't want to do it. And the final decision he made was the one where he didn't want to do it. Considering he's the guy who has the say in the exclusivity matters, that's pretty much an open and close case.

He showed an intent to foreclose. Then he DID with all Zenimax games. Which also doesn't make sense as the best chance they have to sell is on PlayStation.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Those 10-year deals give Microsoft ample room to walk. And they get to keep ALL the money made. Not the typical 70/30 split. They keep 100%. That is not typical and if those are the kind of deals you're talking about, you're a fool for believing that is normal or a deal Sony shouldn't have turned down
Those were the deals for Nvidia style cloud streaming services and is the exact same deal they have for every single game on their service. They didn't offer Sony a 100:0 deal, are you crazy?

Think Microsoft's lawyer just cracked by saying no consumer is entitled to have the content they want - in her comparison with music, tv and film.

I suspect doing the "deal with it" line to the consumer will have been flagged with the judge.
She said like for like.

No one is entitled for like for like content.

That is true.

Nydius

Gold Member
Last December, after they initially announced they were suing to block, I wrote a lengthy letter to the FTC explaining why I was against the merger and why I felt they were right to fight it. In it, I included information about all the games Microsoft would own if the merger went through along with the then-known current marketshare of each game, how Microsoft could use their position as a loss leader to leverage Game Pass in anti-competitive ways, et cetera. It had footnotes and a reference page, something I haven't really done since college, ffs!

A month later, I got a letter back from them saying, paraphrasing, thanks for the interest and they would pass my document along to the proper team.

Listening to the FTC in closing arguments today, I can only conclude that this was the team my letter was "passed along to":

ltlpThh.jpg

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
And GAF know more about business then these lawyers it balance everything out ( joking btw)

Last edited:

RickMasters

What are you talking about? Dungeons was released in 2020. Mojang was bought in 2014. Spencer wanted to make it exclusive. They've shown a willingness to foreclose even if it doesn't make financial sense.
lets talk about reality...... And are they exclusive? are you not able to play these games on PS......and switch for that matter?...and PC.?...... I rest my case.....

"Showing a willingness" is pure hypothesis....its not the reality is it? the reality is that you can play those games on PS...so what are you talking about? other than a situation that never came to pass? you can play those games on non xbox platforms...what more do you want? Ms to give you free copies of these things too because some vague phil spencer quote like "gamers should be able to play everywhere" ?what are you complaining about really, other than a situation that never a happend?...."oh well they might have, bevause they bought them for 3bn?....no shit, for 3bn oits worth considering...which is why I dont blame them for keeping games to their own platform at 7bn...or lets say...70 Bn..........but they didnt make anything mojang did exclusive, in reality did they? so what are you talking about.

and yeah for 70Bn...they should tell everybody to jump off a bridge if they dont wanna take them ten year deals. thats biz. thats how I feel about that.

Sounds like they're wrapping up for today. Big ups Rossco EZ Rossco EZ for the strim.

Beth "The fact that Microsoft is known to follow their contracts, the government proved that for us"
Judge " (to FTC) yeah what about that ?"
FTC "I don't know ... "

:messenger_grimmacing_

"I don't know" as in they know she isn't telling the truth.

More than enough fines for behavioral remedies violated by MS to back that up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom