• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pelta88

Um, EU and UK consumers who their regulatory bodies have a duty to promote?

SatisfiedNeatHorseshoecrab-size_restricted.gif

Darsxx82

They don’t have to be impartial. This isn’t a murder trial. They want the game to remain on PlayStation and potential future rival cloud/console competitors. Try and wrap your head around it.
WTF what???

His duty and obligation is to be impartial and also appear so.

He can wish what he wants, but he cannot decide according to what he wishes but according to the circumstances, data and realities. Otherwise he won't be doing your job properly.

Banjo64

cumsessed
WTF what???

His duty and obligation is to be impartial and also appear so.

He can wish what he wants, but he cannot decide according to what he wishes but according to the circumstances, data and realities. Otherwise he won't be doing your job properly.
Where is that written sorry? If regulators want the games to remain on every platform moving forward to ensure the market stays healthy why can’t they express that?

Where is that written sorry? If regulators want the games to remain on every platform moving forward to ensure the market stays healthy why can’t they express that?

I'm wondering why some believe that's not a valid concern. Regulators should not just look at the competition but also how the deal would affect consumers as well.

Menzies

Banned
Um, EU and UK consumers who their regulatory bodies have a duty to promote?
Devil’s advocate; Microsoft had already provided that assurance direct to Sony to protect their consumers invested in PlayStation up to the next 7 years.

Meh, could easily argue that putting consumers front and centre all of sudden, benefit more with GamePass value and increased competition. Both sides concede that this would bring console sales closer together, not further away.

Darsxx82

Lol, are you serious or is it sarcasm?

Because the basis for deciding is not his wishes, he must abide by what the law and defense of competition allow.

Because a process is open and he already shows that he has prejudged.

Duty of impartiality is a basic pillar in decision-making bodies. Not only be it, also show it.

Now imagine MS and Activision knowing that a member of the commission is deciding based on his personal interest and not that of the data, clarifications and agreements that MS proposes.... It is simply absurd.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Lol, are you serious or is it sarcasm?

Because the basis for deciding is not his wishes, he must abide by what the law and defense of competition allow.
And if his wishes align with his remit?

Because a process is open and he already shows that he has prejudged.
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Duty of impartiality is a basic pillar in decision-making bodies. Not only be it, also show it.

Now imagine MS and Activision knowing that a member of the commission is deciding based on his personal interest and not that of the data, clarifications and agreements that MS proposes.... It is simply absurd.
Some of you are that brainwashed that you’re actually going to try and paint the EU (and UK) as corrupt anti consumer bodies when the Brazilian and Saudi Arabian governments are sound as a pound :messenger_tears_of_joy: embarrassing.

Pelta88

Devil’s advocate; Microsoft had already provided that assurance direct to Sony to protect their consumers invested in PlayStation up to the next 7 years.

Meh, could easily argue that putting consumers front and centre all of sudden, benefit more with GamePass value and increased competition. Both sides concede that this would bring console sales closer together, not further away.

136 pages later and some are still unable to grasp that a verbal assurance/promise has zero legal standing. None whatsoever. And I'm truly astounded that some think Phil Spencer's PR is an adequate substitute for a legally binding contract which Microsoft could easily agree to.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Apparently this guy is with the EU Commission. No way “including My Playstation” doesnt get him in trouble

Why does that get him in trouble? You are allowed to express your personal views in Europe even if it offends the mighty corporations (as long as you abide by the law of the land).

Menzies

Banned
Just curious of your thoughts;

1. What do you think is currently healthy about the current market?

2. What ill effects do you perceive will happen post merger?

Darsxx82

And if his wishes align with his remit?

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

So why is there an open period for investigation and decision making if he has already prejudged?🤔🤣
Some of you are that brainwashed that you’re actually going to try and paint the EU (and UK) as corrupt anti consumer bodies when the Brazilian and Saudi Arabian governments are sound as a pound :messenger_tears_of_joy: embarrassing.
LOL, the difference is that I have not seen any member of the CADE or Saudi Arabia Commission speak on Twitter and say that they decide based on their personal interest and not based on the data, clarifications, agreements of the parties and the law.... It is simply incomprehensible and a lack of impartiality image.

Last edited:

feynoob

This is regulators, not you. They want the ink. Without that, they won't trust MS words.

Menzies

Banned
136 pages later and some are still unable to grasp that a verbal assurance/promise has zero legal standing. None whatsoever. And I'm truly astounded that some think Phil Spencer's PR is an adequate substitute for a legally binding contract which Microsoft could easily agree to.
They offered a signed contract to Sony to cover them with CoD releases for the next 7 years.

bxrz

Why does that get him in trouble? You are allowed to express your personal views in Europe even if it offends the mighty corporations (as long as you abide by the law of the land).
Because thats a conflict of interest. He isn’t fighting for competition, he is fighting for “his Playstation”. You aren’t supposed to show bias in these situations

feynoob

The Eu commissioner's twitter thread is an absolute gold mine.

I can't stop laughing. All Sony has to do is send some EU politicians a PS5 and a few exclusives and they'll look the other way on Microsoft's 70 Billion offer. That level of mindshare shouldn't exist :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That is what happens when you use "my Playstation ".
Alot of people don't know how to read between the lines.
Easy for them to get outrage.

feynoob

Because thats a conflict of interest. He isn’t fighting for competition, he is fighting for “his Playstation”. You aren’t supposed to show bias in these situations
He isn't.
That word isn't a bias. It talks more about consumers who play on PS.

() is there to talk about those consumers. Or else, he wouldn't have used it for himself.

reinking

Gold Member
By that logic Phil should probably be in hot water at MS since he has mentioned several times that he plays on PlayStation and Nintendo consoles. He has to be a mole right?

Last edited:

Menzies

Banned
A market, in which 1 platform doesn't have the biggest game in the world as exclusive.

Above. If there no assurance, MS can essentially say no to Sony.
I just think current market only demonstrates how imbalanced and uncompetitive things are. I honestly feel this promotes more healthy competition.

Being on this site, it’s hard to believe people aren’t entrenched with ride or die tattoos of their favourite corporation on their chests. I don’t foresee this mass migration event with people throwing PlayStations out window the minute CoD becomes exclusive, which isn’t going to happen.

At best I think this has a potential to shrink the gap by 10 million.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just curious of your thoughts;

1. What do you think is currently healthy about the current market?
A. Nintendo are in their own space producing quality handheld hardware (the OLED) with quality software (including third party indies, AA games and AAA games) with Nvidia primed to give them a good deal on a Switch 2.

B. Sony having their niche with single player action adventure games like Horizon, Uncharted, TLoU, GoW and Spider-Man alongside being a causal machine in Europe for CoD and FIFA.

C. Microsoft having an unrivalled social/multiplayer offering with games like Grounded/Sea of Thieves, the shooter box with Gears/Halo/Doom/Wolfenstein and the RPG box with Playground/Obsidian/Bethesda.

D. The 360 and PS3 were neck and neck and the PS4 only beat the One due to MS cocking up. The gap this generation will be much narrower and when things are tight neither Sony or MS can try to rape the consumer too hard. Equilibrium is nice.
2. What ill effects do you perceive will happen post merger?
I don’t perceive anything will happen but I won’t discount a future where MS take a 20m swing due to CoD adopters and try to increase the price of their first party to £79 and Game Pass to £9.99 a month and Game Pass Ultimate to £17.99 a month or more once they’ve got enough consumers locked in.

Banjo64

cumsessed
So why is there an open period for investigation and decision making if he has already prejudged?🤔🤣

LOL, the difference is that I have not seen any member of the CADE or Saudi Arabia Commission speak on Twitter and say that they decide based on their personal interest and not based on the data, clarifications, agreements of the parties and the law.... It is simply incomprehensible and a lack of impartiality image.
Ah so first it was the CMA who took the ire (despite never going on Twitter and expressing personal views) and now the EU. It’s like the scousers; offended by everything.

feynoob

I just think current market only demonstrates how imbalanced and uncompetitive things are. I honestly feel this promotes more healthy competition.
The imbalance resulted from MS actions. They went with tv model. They shot themselves down, when they had the high ground with x360.

Being on this site, it’s hard to believe people aren’t entrenched with ride or die tattoos of their favourite corporation on their chests. I don’t foresee this mass migration event with people throwing PlayStations out window the minute CoD becomes exclusive, which isn’t going to happen.
MS has better resources than Sony. It took Phil spencer to be Xbox boss and forced them to spend money on actually improving their 1st party studios. They had OG xbox and X360 to do that. They didn't do.

PS is benefiting from ps3 investment. And their strategy which is working with 3rd party developers. MS didn't even bother that too much after x360.

Here is little bit comparison between x360 first 2 years vs xseries 2 years.

At best I think this has a potential to shrink the gap by 10 million.
The gap won't shrink that much. MS needs more goodwill. The gap is 1vs2. That is alot to narrow it down. Especially with how strong ps5 this time.
This isn't ps3 vs x360. This ps2 vs OG xbox.

bxrz

Exactly. Neither does yours. The point is people can own things and still make neutral decisions. It is called being an adult.
No. You’re point doesn’t make sense because Phil isn’t a regulator. He isn’t a government official that is making decisions on the behalf of customers and the market. He runs a video game company.

You talked about there being a “mole”. You literally made no sense in your post

Banjo64

cumsessed
Ricardo Cordoso. What a lad.

hip hop rap GIF

Might bend minds this, but as a Game Pass subscriber till May 2024, I don’t want CoD on Game Pass.

Reactions: GHG

freefornow

Gold Member
Imagine if the tweet had been this:

The Commission is working to ensure that you will still be able to play Call of Duty on other consoles. Also on our to do list: update stock pictures. These gamers have wired controllers whereas Xbox and Playstation have wireless ones since about 2006!

GHG

This saga just gets better and better. The CMA basically said "stop lying, be honest and we can have a conversation" while members of the EU commission are basically saying "I'm keeping my playstation thanks".

It's suddenly starting to dawn on the Americans that the rest of the world's regulators and authoritative bodies aren't brain dead zombie corporate bootlickers. How America got to the position where their own regulative bodies were put in the position where they are afraid of the very companies they exist to police I will never know.

Banjo64

cumsessed
This saga just gets better and better. The CMA basically said "stop lying, be honest and we can have a conversation" while members of the EU commission are basically saying "I'm keeping my playstation thanks".

It's suddenly starting to dawn on the Americans that the rest of the world's regulators and authoritative bodies aren't brain dead zombie corporate bootlickers. How America got to the position where their own regulative bodies were put in the position where they are afraid of the very companies they exist to police I will never know.
I’m more shocked at how the citizens seem to adopt the corporations’ positions. ‘How dare you try to ensure we don’t get raped’. It’s pure Stockholm syndrome.

Menzies

Banned
A. Nintendo are in their own space producing quality handheld hardware (the OLED) with quality software (including third party indies, AA games and AAA games) with Nvidia primed to give them a good deal on a Switch 2.

B. Sony having their niche with single player action adventure games like Horizon, Uncharted, TLoU, GoW and Spider-Man alongside being a causal machine in Europe for CoD and FIFA.

C. Microsoft having an unrivalled social/multiplayer offering with games like Grounded/Sea of Thieves, the shooter box with Gears/Halo/Doom/Wolfenstein and the RPG box with Playground/Obsidian/Bethesda.

D. The 360 and PS3 were neck and neck and the PS4 only beat the One due to MS cocking up. The gap this generation will be much narrower and when things are tight neither Sony or MS can try to rape the consumer too hard. Equilibrium is nice.

I don’t perceive anything will happen but I won’t discount a future where MS take a 20m swing due to CoD adopters and try to increase the price of their first party to £79 and Game Pass to £9.99 a month and Game Pass Ultimate to £17.99 a month or more once they’ve got enough consumers locked in.
I think we’re both commenting in favour of increased competition. You just seem to have a lot more faith in Microsoft’s ability to turn things around with their current arsenal.

I think the PlayStation brand power, loyal fans and current standing make this a lot harder than you seem to give credit and had this deal already passed Sony wouldn’t have raised prices with null effect.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think we’re both commenting in favour of increased competition. You just seem to have a lot more faith in Microsoft’s ability to turn things around with their current arsenal.

I think the PlayStation brand power, loyal fans and current standing make this a lot harder than you seem to give credit and had this deal already passed Sony wouldn’t have raised prices with null effect.
They’ve acquired Obsidian and Zenimax! How can I not be confident!? TES, Fallout and Doom are the biggest multi platform franchises (CoD, FIFA, GTA and Madden aside). Double Fine, Playground, Rare - world class. They’ve not all had time to churn ‘exclusives’ out yet but those studios are easily as big as Sony’s IMO (if not more so).

Last edited:

GHG

I’m more shocked at how the citizens seem to adopt the corporations’ positions. ‘How dare you try to ensure we don’t get raped’. It’s pure Stockholm syndrome.

Well we've seen it all from people saying Microsoft should threaten to not do business in the places that make this deal difficult for them to accusations that anyone who dares question it is bought out.

"Keep your nose out" seems to be the prevailing message thrown at the foreign regulators, all while the same people are happy for Brazil to have a say in things just because they are not challenging it in any way. The stuff that CADE said even gets parroted as if they have final authority on the deal. It's ironic, like do people want foreign counties to have a view and consider what they might deem best for the consumers in their jurisdiction or not? CADE and CMA don't need to agree on everything, it would be strange if they did considering they are looking at the impact in two entirely different countries which aren't even in the same region.

Basically, you're only allowed to have a view if it's one that's in Microsoft's favour.

Last edited:

feynoob

They have gamepass. They increased their studios output. These are positive progress. They are in the right direction. All that is left is games, which would come once the studios settle. Next gen, they would fire their system with big exclusive.

Activision was never going to help them. Gamepass is what is doing the most. Activision right now is for them to expand their PC market and open the door to mobile market.

feynoob

Well we've seen it all from people saying Microsoft should threaten to not do business in the places that make this deal difficult for them to accusations that anyone who dares question it is bought out.

"Keep your nose out" seems to be the prevailing message thrown at the foreign regulators, all while the same people are happy for Brazil to have a say in things just because they are not challenging it in any way. The stuff that CADE said even gets parroted as if they have final authority on the deal. It's ironic, like do people want foreign counties to have a view and consider what they might deem best for the consumers in their jurisdiction or not? CADE and CMA don't need to agree on everything, it would be strange if they did considering they are looking at the impact in two entirely different countries which aren't even in the same region.

Basically, you're only allowed to have a view if it's one that's in Microsoft's favour.
This is american education system in full display.
What is worse, is that the goverment does so much shady stuff, that people forgot that those stuff are super illegal in other countries.

Pelta88

word-right.gif

GHG

Can someone please outline to me where the kinks are in their current arsenal? People are quick to brag about the number of studios they have and state they have more coverage of different genres across their exclusive studios but now we are suddenly supposed to believe that Xbox's ability to be competitive going forward now hinges on this deal? Can we at least be honest about their current position please.

It's mismanagement of their existing resources that has put them in the position they are currently in, not a lack of resources. When you've been in a business for as long as they have their position in the market doesn't lie, its reflective of what's deserved based on their products and actions across many years. You can't suddenly start crying and pretend to be the little guy when you attempt to just buy your way into a solution.

Coming from Jez of all people?

Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom