• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m more shocked at how the citizens seem to adopt the corporations’ positions. ‘How dare you try to ensure we don’t get raped’. It’s pure Stockholm syndrome.
Maybe you shouldn't worry so much about what positions US citizens are adopting. Maybe your time would be better spent figuring out why US citizens pay far less for things like homes, fuel, or PS5's than most of their European counterparts.

COD did $1b revenue. System owners get 30% cut of that money. That means Sony, MS, Steam get 30% cut from that money.
If Sony managed to get $150m, that would allow them to invest in their system. They also get ps+ users from those COD users. If 5m users are playing on PS, that means, Sony is getting $300m a year(5m*$60 1 year ps+).
Essentially Sony is getting total of $450+m from Cod. Not counting the mtx sales too, or warzone mtx.

That money is almost 6.4m digital copies of ragnorak sales. That is how much they would lose, if COD leaves PS.
That's great. But by that same metric, doesn't MS lose the same revenue when Sony blocks a 3rd party game from being on Gamepass?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
EU regulators are fanboys confirmed 🤭
"further more, we will get the final word in any exclusive deal Sony propose, so we make sure that Sony will get the most optimal exclusives to make the experience better than on xbox."

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Get shot; bankrupt.

Have baby; bankrupt.

Go to University; bankrupt.

Say hello to a police officer; get shot.

I’m ok thanks.
4Mr0mRP.png

The_Mike

members of the EU commission are basically saying "I'm keeping my playstation thanks".

It's suddenly starting to dawn on the Americans that the rest of the world's regulators and authoritative bodies aren't brain dead zombie corporate bootlickers.
Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

That personal trip for Jimmy to Europe suddenly gave them a second thought, even without evolving bootlicking! Wow

modiz

This saga just gets better and better. The CMA basically said "stop lying, be honest and we can have a conversation" while members of the EU commission are basically saying "I'm keeping my playstation thanks".

It's suddenly starting to dawn on the Americans that the rest of the world's regulators and authoritative bodies aren't brain dead zombie corporate bootlickers. How America got to the position where their own regulative bodies were put in the position where they are afraid of the very companies they exist to police I will never know.
Incredible takeaway going by all the things that have been said and happened, truly a masterpiece of misunderstanding.

feynoob

That's great. But by that same metric, doesn't MS lose the same revenue when Sony blocks a 3rd party game from being on Gamepass?
MS has the money to get those games.
Sony doesn't have that option with COD.

If MS can spend $68b, they can essentially pay $10b-$20b to have day1 games for entire gen.

While I don’t think that tweet (if real) rises to the level of a conflict of interest - even though that. bar is set really low these days - it was particularly stupid. Just keep your trap shut mate, even if you are a rabid fanboy, there’s no need to put it in writing :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Can’t imagine he was authorised to say that. Although my biggest takeaway from it is that the deal is going through and Microsoft will just have to honor their offer for a short while until everyone forgets about it.

feynoob

Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

That personal trip for Jimmy to Europe suddenly gave them a second thought, even without evolving bootlicking! Wow
MS should be grateful that the attention is only focused on COD. The rest of Activision Blizzard is flying under the radar now.

If I was a regulator, I would definitely argue that the entire Activision-Blizzard's would give MS huge advantage, especially WoW on consoles. A game which existed for a long time, and has more following.

The_Mike

MS should be grateful that the attention is only focused on COD. The rest of Activision Blizzard is flying under the radar now.

If I was a regulator, I would definitely argue that the entire Activision-Blizzard's would give MS huge advantage, especially WoW on consoles. A game which existed for a long time, and has more following.
WoW is in its worst state its ever been.

Bleeding subscribers, no one gives a shit about Dragon flight, and they just have a overall bad rep.

I was a heavy wow player up to BFA, where I'm just fatigued by it and don't think I'll ever come back.

Game has went from being a bit sandbox to do what you want to having chores to be viable.

The only reason I could see wow being somewhat viable again would be to include it in GP, but that won't happen.

I still find it weird you can buy something you don't own.

I am fully aware that there's plenty other games like Diablo, world of Warcraft and so on but the one who could make xbox competitive would truly be call of duty, something the CMA of UK wouldn't find good as it would mean they also need to buy an Xbox.

Especially now with the gift of consoles and likely lifetime psplus from santa Jimmy.

bxrz

WoW has no console presence. It existed for a long time on PC. Not console. And the CMA/EU is saying PC and console are different

feynoob

WoW is in its worst state its ever been.

Bleeding subscribers, no one gives a shit about Dragon flight, and they just have a overall bad rep.

I was a heavy wow player up to BFA, where I'm just fatigued by it and don't think I'll ever come back.

Game has went from being a bit sandbox to do what you want to having chores to be viable.

The only reason I could see wow being somewhat viable again would be to include it in GP, but that won't happen.

I still find it weird you can buy something you don't own.

I am fully aware that there's plenty other games like Diablo, world of Warcraft and so on but the one who could make xbox competitive would truly be call of duty, something the CMA of UK wouldn't find good as it would mean they also need to buy an Xbox.

Especially now with the gift of consoles and likely lifetime psplus from santa Jimmy.
Yet the game is much bigger than ff14.
Even at its poor legs, it has stronger base users. Bigger than destiny 2.

FF14 at its highest position barely managed to knockdown this game.

That is wow.

Now you add games like overwatch 2, and Diablo. Then there is the elephant in the room, which is COD.

The entire library is stacked.

feynoob

WoW has no console presence. It existed for a long time on PC. Not console. And the CMA/EU is saying PC and console are different
MS can port the game to console space, like they are doing with age of empire.
Even ff14, which plays like wow is on console. Nothing stops MS from porting the game to xbox.

The_Mike

But Sony has ff xiv.

Xbox getting wow would make xbox competitive which is against CMA UK.

Yet the game is much bigger than ff14.
Even at its poor legs, it has stronger base users
Where do you get these numbers?

Bigger than destiny 2.

I don't know, I've read people in here saying destiny 2 is among the biggest games with biggest user base in here.

I don't believe it either, because destiny 2 is a boring grind fest.

I started it this season I'm 3 levels from completing it and I have a hard time doing the last three levels because I'm burned out by its boring repetitive gameplay.

FF14 at its highest position barely managed to knockdown this game.

That is wow.

I don't know man. I remember when asmongold moves to ff xiv then people followed.

It's a boring grindfest where they'd sucked the fun out of it to get people subbed as long as possible.

It reached its peak years ago.

feynoob

Where do you get these numbers?
The Players and Daily login numbers are estimations based on subscriber numbers and online sentiment.
  • Subscribers: 122,318,404
  • Daily Players: 1,162,025
  • Genres: RPG, Massively Multiplayer
  • Platforms: PC, macOS
  • Released: 2004-11-23

I don't know, I've read people in here saying destiny 2 is among the biggest games with biggest user base in here.

I don't believe it either, because destiny 2 is a boring grind fest.

I started it this season I'm 3 levels from completing it and I have a hard time doing the last three levels because I'm burned out by its boring repetitive gameplay.
Destiny 2 is on all systems, and f2p. Which attributes to higher numbers. But still falls bellow some of the biggest mmo games on pc.
Mmo is much bigger than shooter games like Destiny 2.

I don't know man. I remember when asmongold moves to ff xiv then people followed.

It's a boring grindfest where they'd sucked the fun out of it to get people subbed as long as possible.

It reached its peak years ago.
Guy is a content creator. He would get pissed off, when his game isn't getting enough content.
Now there is news that he is back again.
If you play a game for that long, you don't quit it easily.

The_Mike

feynoob feynoob the word you are ignoring is estimation.

Know one knows how many subs world of Warcraft has, because its been years since they publicly talked about it.

And no one knows it besides Acti Blizzard.

So these numbers are nothing but guesses.

Destiny 2 is on all systems, and f2p. Which attributes to higher numbers. But still falls bellow some of the biggest mmo games on pc.
Mmo is much bigger than shooter games like Destiny 2.

Destiny 2 is as much a mmorpg as call of duty.

Destiny 2 is a fps with Co op elements.

CoD is technically a bigger mmo given you can play 100 players in Warzone. Mmorpg has become a very loose term the last couple of years.

Where it were mmorpgs like EverQuest, world of Warcraft and dark age of camelot, its more or less any game with online, active user war and a xp bar at the bottom.

Guy is a content creator. He would get pissed off, when his game isn't getting enough content.
Now there is news that he is back again.
If you play a game for that long, you don't quit it easily.

What? I don't get what you are trying to say about him being pissed about his own content.

I've played since the OG wow beta, with a few months of pause here and there.

I stopped because the game went in a direction I didn't want.
Also add to that, people who grew up with WoW now has their own life with a family, kid etc

Also there's not 122 million subs. Reading the site will tell you that's the total amount of accounts and not active subs.

In 2010 they had 12 million subscribers.

Seeing they have 1 million daily players now shows only 1/10 of those from its peak, which shows you are wrong in regard of people not leaving.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Neither Destiny 2 nor Call of Duty are MMO or "massively multiplayer online". People arguing don't get what it means. Being massive(as in actually atleast more than 20 people being present in an instance) or being an online RPG are both parts of it. Neither is Phantasy Star Online. Hence, Sega or Bungie never called their games "MMORPG"

feynoob

feynoob feynoob feynoob feynoob the word you are ignoring is estimation.

Know one knows how many subs world of Warcraft has, because its been years since they publicly talked about it.

And no one knows it besides Acti Blizzard.

So these numbers are nothing but guesses.
Which makes it easier to estimate. Unlike eso, wow and ff14 needs subs. It makes easier to closely estimate the userbase.
It usually includes free trial, and paid subs. Whether you player 1 hour that month or consistently.

The important factor is maintaining above 700k userbase daily. That is not a decline. That is a strong game. Alot of games would want those numbers.

Destiny 2 is as much a mmorpg as call of duty.

Destiny 2 is a fps with Co op elements.

CoD is technically a bigger mmo given you can play 100 players in Warzone. Mmorpg has become a very loose term the last couple of years.

Where it were mmorpgs like EverQuest, world of Warcraft and dark age of camelot, its more or less any game with online, active user war and a xp bar at the bottom.
That is not what mmo is.
Bernkastel Bernkastel puts it very well.

What? I don't get what you are trying to say about him being pissed about his own content.
He is a content player. He provides contents from the game. He isn't a gamer like you.

I've played since the OG wow beta, with a few months of pause here and there.

I stopped because the game went in a direction I didn't want.
Also add to that, people who grew up with WoW now has their own life with a family, kid etc
Old generation gets replaced by new gamers. That is normal cycle. What you don't like now, gets loved by other people.

Also there's not 122 million subs. Reading the site will tell you that's the total amount of accounts and not active subs.
That is how you get numbers. It includes everything. You dont rely at one thing. Your source explains it very well.

Seeing they have 1 million daily players now shows only 1/10 of those from its peak, which shows you are wrong in regard of people not leaving.
Daily players doesn't mean overall players. People log in to certain days, or log off.
Daily Players shows you how much activity the game has. And that is what matters the most. It shows the game is in good shape, in term of player base.

Keeping 1m daily Players isn't an easy task. Especially for a game, which existed for a long time.

feynoob

I am more curious why mentioning Phil's quote about keeping COD multiplat triggers some people. Perhaps it does not help with your FUD that Microsoft is trying to make COD exclusive?
He has to put those words with regulators, not the media and gamers.

I like Phil, but needs to know when to shut up. He is bringing unnecessary attention to the deal. Just deal with regulators, and dont care about anything else.

This is the same media who crucified him, when he made tomb raider a timed exclusive.
"I get the reaction I see," he said. "If I'm a PlayStation person all of a sudden I feel like, the franchise has gone. I didn't buy the IP. I didn't buy the studio. It's not mine. Where this thing will go over time, just like Dead Rising or Ryse, we'll see what happens with the game."

I am more curious why mentioning Phil's quote about keeping COD multiplat triggers some people. Perhaps it does not help with your FUD that Microsoft is trying to make COD exclusive?
I'm even more curious why it seems people associated with Xbox in particular that get accused of being 'shills'. Would a regulator who clearly has a preference for PlayStation also be called the same thing? I'd be far more concerned about regulators being biased over a person writing an opinion online.

Bernkastel

I'm even more curious why it seems people associated with Xbox in particular that get accused of being 'shills'. Would a regulator who clearly has a preference for PlayStation also be called the same thing? I'd be far more concerned about regulators being biased over a person writing an opinion online.
If he said "my Xbox" we would have a 10 page meltdown thread and his name would be immortalized like Tom Warren(or worse) and mentioned occasionally in multiple threads.

Bernkastel

I like Phil, but needs to know when to shut up. He is bringing unnecessary attention to the deal. Just deal with regulators, and dont care about anything else.
The regulators want to pretend that they forced Microsoft to make COD exclusive for the benefit of the consumers. Better for MS to just be open about their intentions, since they always intended to make COD multiplat.

Last edited:

feynoob

The regulators want to pretend that they forced Microsoft to make COD exclusive for the benefit of the consumers.
That is a very good thing for MS. It makes people think regulators are doing good job. While MS would simply do, what they are stating on the media.
Both win.

feynoob

Anyone know what's being said here? I don't speak Spanish.
The Trio of Wonders is back live for a truly epochal episode of IL CORTOCIRCUITO: together with Pierpaolo, Alessio and Francesco, in this episode we had the honor of having Arianna Podestà, Spokesperson for the European Commission as a guest, who clarified many doubts. regarding the thorny phase 2 of Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard; in addition, there was also talk of META and the epochal dismissal of as many as 11,000 employees!
It seems this is what the video is about.
Its italian. So we gonna need an italian expert here.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If he said "my Xbox" we would have a 10 page meltdown thread and his name would be immortalized like Tom Warren(or worse) and mentioned occasionally in multiple threads.

If he had said "my xbox" people would still be bringing it up 5 year later like how some always have Phil's quotes from 2017 and before handy for 'gotchas'

It's suddenly starting to dawn on the Americans that the rest of the world's regulators and authoritative bodies aren't brain dead zombie corporate bootlickers.

Using the phrase "corporate bootlickers" after a member of the EU commission uses the phrase "my playstation" while discussing an anti competitive investigation is some kind of irony :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
If he had said "my xbox" people would still be bringing it up 5 year later like how some always have Phil's quotes from 2017 and before handy for 'gotchas'

Or like Ryan's "believe in generations" line? Nah....this will be blown out of proportion just like everything else. I imagine this poor guy has no idea the landmine he stepped on by uttering the word "playstation". The rest of the world isn't so sensitive about or even aware of all this console warrior bullshit.

Last edited:

feynoob

So I did some auto caption, and found little bit info.

Brazil doesnt have the same market as EU, and CMA, which explain why brazil doesnt have any issue.
Both regulators keep in contact with each other.
Some info are very confidential, which means there could be more drama behind the scene.
There is a political limitation, which results in certain topic to be ommited (Confusing part, as they bring in anti trust stuff).

It seems the EU want a proposal from MS. This way, they can determine whether that proposal is acceptable or not.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Last edited:

Bernkastel

We disagree on a lot of key points in this thread. But the one thing I'm certain we all agree on, is this clowns level of sycophancy.

How? If they are concerned about MS owning COD, they should be concerned about Final Fantasy XVI being exclusive. For the record, I am okay with Final Fantasy XVI being timed exclusive. But if they just want everything to be on "my Playstation"(in this case since COD will be multiplat anyway, they also want the exclusivity of marketing and certain content locked to their platform), maybe I should also start to want everything to be on "my Xbox".

Gone

Banned
MS isnt above the law.
We can argue about regulators approach, but that doesnt mean, MS is above them.
These are the guys, who are going to approve a $68b deal. They are doing their job, to ensure there is competition, and no company has enough power, to tip the balance.
We saw what Sony and MS did during ps3 and xbox one, when they were on the top. That is what would happen, if either company takes the control.

The ones who would suffer from this are consumers. People like you and me. And I dont want that future.
Only thing they're insuring is Sony's position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom