• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
you just forgot to mention that all microtransaction profits, and even game sales, would stay with microsoft;
microsoft move with an absurd offer to pass the image of good
Thats the first offer. Who says Sony cant counter with a different one?

And if MS holds firm, too bad. It's their game. For increased PS success, it's still better to have it.

Not e very product sold at stores is profitable for companies. My company sells product lines that have been losers for 10 years. Were lucky if we breakeven one year as a lucky one. But in the grand scheme of the brand and selling the rest of the stuff for customers to buy, its still worth doing instead of cutting the cord. That just makes people go elsewhere entirely.

Last edited:

FrankWza

MLB doesn't have PC releases.. MLB AM (advanced Media) publishes both the Switch and Xbox (retail release separate from game pass) as well. Sony does not publish those versions, they only publish the PS4/5 version.
I'm well aware. Still doesn't speak to Sony "not having a choice"
Where the game is released and developed for. They still develop the game.
If they didn't have a choice there would be "the show" releases everywhere. This misinformation has been spread since it went multiplatform.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm well aware. Still doesn't speak to Sony "not having a choice"
Where the game is released and developed for. They still develop the game.
If they didn't have a choice there would be "the show" releases everywhere. This misinformation has been spread since it went multiplatform.

I don't think anyone has outright said officially that MLB FORCED Sony's hand, but their cagey statements kinda make it seem like that's the case.

"MLB decided to bring the franchise to more players", not Sony, in an official statement from someone at playstation.

Clearly they didn't decide that.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I don't think anyone has outright said officially that MLB FORCED Sony's hand, but their cagey statements kinda make it seem like that's the case.

"MLB decided to bring the franchise to more players", not Sony, in an official statement from someone at playstation.

Clearly they didn't decide that.
The person I quoted above said that no choice =forced?
Also adamsapple adamsapple PC releases would mean a lot more players. So would android and ios.
Thank you. Wasn’t going to waste my time
Oh no? What's this:
Source? You show me the proof.

Last edited:

Zok310

Banned

adamsapple

The person I quoted above said that no choice =forced?

Oh no? What's this:

I said no one has officially gone on record to say that it was a forced decision on MLB's part.

I doubt anyone from Sony or MLB will ever say that out loud.

But when you have Sony reps saying that it was MLB's decision to bring the game to more platforms, you can put 2 and 2 together. It sounds like it was a part of the license renewal agreement that Sony did a few years ago for the MLB franchise to bring it to more consoles, and now it's on Xbox and Switch.

FrankWza

I said no one has officially gone on record to say that it was a forced decision on MLB's part.

I doubt anyone from Sony or MLB will ever say that out loud.

But when you have Sony reps saying that it was MLB's decision to bring the game to more platforms, you can put 2 and 2 together. It sounds like it was a part of the license renewal agreement that Sony did a few years ago for the MLB franchise to bring it to more consoles, and now it's on Xbox and Switch.
No I was referring to 93x. That's who I quoted originally.
Xbox and Nintendo always had MLB rights. They could have released an MLB game at any time but wouldn't /didn't have the studio to
Why should MS give up 1st party games for nothing? MS already gives them the Minecraft games day and date, even with no obligation to do so.

What does Sony put on Xbox? MLB The Show obviously doesn’t count as Sony has no choice in that.

At the very least, I’d call every game an exclusive and not clarify it coming to PS. Then I’d release it later on PS if Sony agreed to an 80/20 split.

Last edited:

NEbeast

Not much point to be honest, no news and just the same old back and fourths, came back when we had finally got somewhere, but your insult is very good, quite inventive to be honest. Glad you felt the need to look into my post history, as I have absolutely zero interest in yours. ;)
I looked because I hadn't seen you in this thread. You're calling "people" out for something you did yourself. You came back to gloat after disappearing when it looked like the acquisition might be blocked.

Mozza

I looked because I hadn't seen you in this thread. You're calling "people" out for something you did yourself. You came back to gloat after disappearing when it looked like the acquisition might be blocked.
Well done Columbo, your gold star is in the post, Sorry that I do not live on the thread like some, I will notify you, when I am planning another absence. ;)

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
No I was referring to 93x. That's who I quoted originally.
Xbox and Nintendo always had MLB rights. They could have released an MLB game at any time but wouldn't /didn't have the studio to
Didn’t Phil say he didn’t want to put Minecraft dungeons on PS? I can’t remember if the Notch contract stipulations were ever confirmed.

adamsapple

Didn’t Phil say he didn’t want to put Minecraft dungeons on PS? I can’t remember if the Notch contract stipulations were ever confirmed.

No contract has been confirmed or leaked as part of the plethora of documents that were released in the trials.

Phil said he wanted to find a way but they didn't end up doing that, it could be purely a financial reason that they saw they wouldn't make enough revenue and changed course.

FrankWza

I think the Minecraft games aren't able to be made exclusive due to contractual obligations. Wasn't that just leaked in the emails?

Kilau

Gold Member
No contract has been confirmed or leaked as part of the plethora of documents that were released in the trials.

Phil said he wanted to find a way but they didn't end up doing that, it could be purely a financial reason that they saw they wouldn't make enough revenue and changed course.
I think the Minecraft games aren't able to be made exclusive due to contractual obligations. Wasn't that just leaked in the emails?
Seems that if Phil wanted to he could have if not for something else. Maybe the contract or maybe MS reminded him they own Minecraft not Xbox and want the brand strong.

Sanepar

If you think MS owning Call of Duty means that Playstation will fight LESS for exclusivity, you've lost your mind.
Well they should realize this is waste money. They need to focus on buying studios and at least 1 publisher.

Or MS will buy everyone.

Sanepar

Basically they lost because no current laws prevent this kind of merger, new laws are needed. Regulators are outdated and all the best lawyers that can pass new regulation laws are working for big tech.
If laws don't change big techs will buy everything. They will consolidate every business. Problem is they can pay whatever they need for things stay the way they are.

Last edited:

TrueGrime

More IP to mismanage and kill off. Great, a true day for celebration!

I wonder how MS will feel when this acquisition does nothing to significantly increase their hardware sales 🤔

IP's go dormant all the time, but this is just a Microsoft thing right? Lol. Oi.

Also, your second sentence is the type of takes that happen when people simply take the way Sony does things and equate them to everything else. If Microsoft wanted to increase hardware sales they could indeed do it like Sony and lock games to a single platform. I think one of their strategies is also not really being forthcoming on when platform exclusivity ends, so people have no idea what the specifics are when a game will release to PC. It's a good way to sell consoles by making it the only way to play a game for what could be several years.

Microsoft wants to sell you on the ecosystem and subscriptions. CoD (and whatever else) bundles will sell systems, but because they do PC Day 1 on all their first party titles they are betting that they can up their Gamepass subs. Even still, Microsoft is not thirsty enough to even lock their games to Gamepass and has found that a lot of players will prefer to buy on steam.

I think they have this mapped out pretty well. Singleplayer games will become exclusive to Xbox and PC, multiplayer offerings (Minecraft, CoD) will remain multiplat for those extra billions that Activision ears annually. So consoles are probably the last concern in their area of concerns.

DaGwaphics

I call that sus.

Sony makes MLB the show for Xbox. Nothing stops them from getting the new Xbox console info.

I think this is just theatrical performance, nothing more than that.

I honestly think both sides have a good idea what the other is doing most of the time. With the exception of the occasional outlier like the memory increase on PS4.

Zok310

Banned
If laws don't change big techs will buy everything. They will consolidate every business. Problem is they can pay whatever they need for things stay the way they are.
in 20 years our grown ass kids are going to log into a website for "Mega Corporation ABCDEFG1234567" to pay for their Rent, their car note, their car insurance, their heat, their electricity, their entertainment, their medicine, their food and their tuition, all of these thing offered by 1 company.....oh and collect their paycheck.

Topher

Gold Member
im self medicating to stay awake and power through are you not a real gamer or something?
Kyle Hill Marvel GIF by Because Science

FrankWza

Seems that if Phil wanted to he could have if not for something else. Maybe the contract or maybe MS reminded him they own Minecraft not Xbox and want the brand strong.
it was mentioned in the emails that he wanted to but could not.

Phil’s internal email, read in court, showed that he was “frustrated” that Minecraft Dungeons is multiplatform because of the original contract.

He asked his team to “find ways” to make it exclusive.

Xbox CMO emails Phil, “This [Minecraft Dungeons] should be exclusive.”

Phil replied, “I agree.”
Took that from the thread of the year:

Now that seems pretty accurate even though we're supposed to believe MLB FORCED Sony. Good guy Phil=Desperate Sony, that proceeded to DOUBLE sales of MLB the show but hasn't been forced to release games on PC ios and android. MLB wanted the show on the distant 3rd console that's never sniffed 100 million sales so bad, they forced them. But, they're not making them release the game on devices that are in almost every persons hand across the world.
Free games is a hell of a drug...

Last edited:

Solidus_T

Oh he "still firmly believes" that now? lmao what a clown!
The state of video game "journalism" reveals itself when these people try to comment on something other than just games.
in 20 years our grown ass kids are going to log into a website for "Mega Corporation ABCDEFG1234567" to pay for their Rent, their car note, their car insurance, their heat, their electricity, their entertainment, their medicine, their food and their tuition, all of these thing offered by 1 company.....oh and collect their paycheck.
At least they will have convinced a fanbase that one corporate giant owning everything is great for the average person and mobilize their fanbase on social media!

Last edited:

RickMasters

You really think Sony made the choice to make an Xbox version all by themselves? It was part of the contract renewal. Matter of fact, it’s MLB themselves who publish the Xbox version. And it was MLB themselves…. Not Sony…. Who suggested the game goes onto gamepass. This article is from back when they first announced it for Xbox. I’m curious, is it available on PS+ these days?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It is an alternate universe article because everything they wrote about the CMA is factually wrong. Not least the final paragraph suggesting the CMA's powers are being reduced from this deal interaction, when they are being given more power and expanding by 250 staff currently.

The article is at least 50% hopium.
It's 100% a pro Microsoft article.

FrankWza

You really think Sony made the choice to make an Xbox version all by themselves? It was part of the contract renewal. Matter of fact, it’s MLB themselves who publish the Xbox version. And it was MLB themselves…. Not Sony…. Who suggested the game goes onto gamepass. This article is from back when they first announced it for Xbox. I’m curious, is it available on PS+ these days?

Once again. This has nothing to do with MLB "forcing" or Sony having "no choice" Sony did not have an exclusive MLB license.
The publisher here does not matter. The guy who said it was talking out of his ass and is still hiding and googling.

RickMasters

I honestly think both sides have a good idea what the other is doing most of the time. With the exception of the occasional outlier like the memory increase on PS4.
I agree. Explains why they have had basically the same hardware between them for the last two generations. They had the same Jaguar chips last gen…. This gen they both got the same CPUs again. they must k ow a lil something about what each other is doing.

DaGwaphics

It's also naive to think that MLB isn't pushing to publish the game on PC/Switch etc. as well, that might have proven to be more difficult to get out the door. "Forced" may be a strong term here, but they may have offered Sony much better terms for the license if the release was multi-platform vs. if it was exclusive.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Why would Sony want less games on their platform?

What do these guys smoke?
If Sony firmly believes that COD will become exclusive in some form until next gen maybe is time to let it go when they are still the dominant console and access better the situation of leaving without COD revenue.... I dont think is that crazy ... but who knows what the fuck will happen

DaGwaphics

I agree. Explains why they have had basically the same hardware between them for the last two generations. They had the same Jaguar chips last gen…. This gen they both got the same CPUs again. they must k ow a lil something about what each other is doing.

Some of that probably just comes down to them having essentially the same budgets, similar power constraints, etc. combined with the fact that they both shop for components at the same store (AMD). At any given time AMD probably has one CPU configuration they feel fits the bill at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom