• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Three

How can Nintendo have little to no bearing on Xbox's strategy when Xbox studios release games to Nintendo platforms like Switch? Doom Eternal, Skyrim, Minecraft, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Minecraft Dungeons, Minecraft Legends this year, etc.
Doom Eternal and Skyrim launched on Switch before MS even owned zenimax. The games MS released are Minecraft and Ori. The fact that Ori came to it only shows how little bearing Nintendo has on Xbox's strategy compared to PS anyway. Ori on Switch was Moon Studio's idea, they gave them the green light, Moon Studio also wanted to bring it to PS, MS rejected the idea.

This is also one of the main reasons why we decided to make our next game with Private Division instead of Microsoft. We always got so many gamers saying that they love Ori, but hate that they can't play it on PlayStation. Well, why not? Because it was funded by Microsoft, hence they call the shots. Luckily, we got Microsoft to allow us to port Ori to the Nintendo Switch, but that didn't come for free and they probably only allowed it cause the title was small enough to not cause any fuss.

Last edited:
That would be true if they acknowledged all competitors but they didn't. They made some BS definition that nobody has ever heard of prior to all of this to exclude Nintendo and Valve from the conversation just to protect one competitor. Sony.
It's crazy how quick you guys can change arguments, as if ignoring reality will help get this deal through. I remember discussions from the PS3/360 era. Everyone always talked about how Nintendo's success was not affecting the "HD Twins." Which is true, because both of them did 84M+, something a 2nd AND 3rd place finisher in a gen has never done before.

The Switch's success also did nothing to stop the PS4 from selling almost 120M. Nintendo sells to a different crowd. Always has since they bowed out of the premium console market. If there is crossover, it's a secondary console to someone who uses the PS5/PS4 or XS/XBO as their main system.

So no, the FTC didn't make up this term. It's been around since Nintendo launched the Wii.

Last edited:
It's crazy how quick you guys can change arguments, as if ignoring reality will help get this deal through. I remember discussions from the PS3/360 era. Everyone always talked about how Nintendo's success was not affecting the "HD Twins." Which is true, because both of them did 84M+, something a 2nd AND 3rd place finisher in a gen has never done before.

The Switch's success also did nothing to stop the PS4 from selling almost 120M. Nintendo sells to a different crowd. Always has since they bowed out of the premium console market. If there is crossover, it's a secondary console to someone who uses the PS5/PS4 or XS/XBO as their main system.

So no, the FTC didn't make up this term. It's been around since Nintendo launched the Wii.
It IS interesting to hear how arguments switched. One minute Xbox was laughed at for being in third place now people are arguing there are only two competitors and MS is approaching monopolistic territory right after the FTC's comments.

The FTC absolutely created a non-existent 'high performance' console market and claimed the Switch wasn't for 'serious gamers'. No one who knows anything about video games believes that and certainly wouldn't place the XSS in a high performance segment. It's the system people complained was holding back the generation now it's high performance because the FTC said so? The arguments are switching indeed.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Damn looking bad for Microsoft, so bad they dropped many claims right after CMA delays the announcement yikes.

Microsoft lawyers deserve a medal for Pure incompetence 🤣🤣🤣

reksveks

Damn looking bad for Microsoft, so bad they dropped many claims right after CMA delays the announcement yikes.

Microsoft lawyers deserve a medal for Pure incompetence 🤣🤣🤣
Are you referring to the ftc claims?

If so, they filed that before the CMA delay.

d2FAGR8.jpg

Last edited:

bxrz

Discussions with who? Random forum goers? They don't represent the vast majority of actual gamers. Nintendo has released documents that said the main people that buy a Switch are ages 25+ and up. Which is about the same as Xbox/PS. So you are objectively wrong. It's the same crowd. You're the one ignoring reality

Why would the Switch or Wii's success stop another console from doing well? More people play games every year. The market is growing. The audience is growing. And it will continue to grow. It's an industry where everyone can do well and succeed. Your mistake is you are of the mindset that in order for someone to succeed, someone else needs to fail. That doesn't exist in the gaming industry anymore and hasn't for a long time. It's not the 90s/00s anymore

In Japan, (the 2nd biggest console gaming market in the world), Switch is not a secondary console. It's the primary console. And PS or Xbox are the ones that are secondary. So you are objectively wrong, again.

The FACT is that Nintendo is in the same market as PS/Xbox. They all just have different strategies for achieving success. Nintendo focuses on the portable console model. Xbox focuses on the subscription service model. PS focuses on the traditional premium model. And they are all successful because every year they record company-breaking revenue. That is what competition is

Last edited:

vj27

Banned
Doom Eternal and Skyrim launched on Switch before MS even owned zenimax. The games MS released are Minecraft and Ori. The fact that Ori came to it only shows how little bearing Nintendo has on Xbox's strategy compared to PS anyway. Ori on Switch was Moon Studio's idea, they gave them the green light, Moon Studio also wanted to bring it to PS, MS rejected the idea.
I’m not going to say your wrong with this thinking, they most certainly see Nintendo in a better light than they view Sony no doubt about that, but it’s not because “there not competing in the same race” it’s more on their relationship with Nintendo is leagues better than it is with Sony. Hell Sony and Nintendo don’t even have this type of relationship so going by your logic Sony sees them the same way they see Microsoft, which I’d say isn’t true. Yet it’s most def the the same as PS vs Xbox for their competition in their respective home turf Japan, that has never changed.

We never had this cooperation from MS and Nintendo before, after the whole cross play debacle and the Minecraft play together or whatever it was called, anyone with two eyes could see the immediate shift in their relationship.

With that said it’s kinda logical why Sony and Xbox view Nintendo differently. And it’s why it’s hilarious when Sony says that while trying their damndest to beat them in Japan (ngl with the closing of their Japanese studios they had, seems like they care less but clearly the NPD shows they still care about the market there) just like they do with Microsoft in the west.

Plus did we all forget about the PlayStation move and the Kinect lol, Microsoft and Sony wanted a slice of this casual gamer pie DESPERATELY that Nintendo found, then after everything’s said and done Sony and Microsoft both gave up (with MS’s version ending up breaking records then immediately leading to their downfall) on and then Nintendo tried to copy the 7th gen consoles and failed miserably.

These companies are in competition, otherwise they wouldn’t innovative and iterate on each others ideas. That’s literal competition. We just happen to be in gaming industry that isn’t as cut throat as it was back then with crossplay/saves and everything.

MS and CWA putting ad in the Washington Post to promote the unions MS is leading tech industry with. The FTC has an opportunity to make a real difference here if they move beyond the 'big tech bad' mantra. Not every big tech firm is the same.

I’m not going to say your wrong with this thinking, they most certainly see Nintendo in a better light than they view Sony no doubt about that, but it’s not because “there not competing in the same race” it’s more on their relationship with Nintendo is leagues better than it is with Sony. Hell Sony and Nintendo don’t even have this type of relationship so going by your logic Sony sees them the same way they see Microsoft, which I’d say isn’t true. Yet it’s most def the the same as PS vs Xbox for their competition in their respective home turf Japan, that has never changed.

We never had this cooperation from MS and Nintendo before, after the whole cross play debacle and the Minecraft play together or whatever it was called, anyone with two eyes could see the immediate shift in their relationship.

With that said it’s kinda logical why Sony and Xbox view Nintendo differently. And it’s why it’s hilarious when Sony says that while trying their damndest to beat them in Japan (ngl with the closing of their Japanese studios they had, seems like they care less but clearly the NPD shows they still care about the market there) just like they do with Microsoft in the west.

Plus did we all forget about the PlayStation move and the Kinect lol, Microsoft and Sony wanted a slice of this casual gamer pie DESPERATELY that Nintendo found, then after everything’s said and done Sony and Microsoft both gave up (with MS’s version ending up breaking records then immediately leading to their downfall) on and then Nintendo tried to copy the 7th gen consoles and failed miserably.

These companies are in competition, otherwise they wouldn’t innovative and iterate on each others ideas. That’s literal competition. We just happen to be in gaming industry that isn’t as cut throat as it was back then with crossplay/saves and everything.
These companies were always in competition with each other. This deal has made some twist and turn to create a new narrative to suit their personal opinions.

PaintTinJr

Discussions with who? Random forum goers? They don't represent the vast majority of actual gamers. Nintendo has released documents that said the main people that buy a Switch are ages 25+ and up. Which is about the same as Xbox/PS. So you are objectively wrong. It's the same crowd. You're the one ignoring reality

Why would the Switch or Wii's success stop another console from doing well? More people play games every year. The market is growing. The audience is growing. And it will continue to grow. It's an industry where everyone can do well and succeed. Your mistake is you are of the mindset that in order for someone to succeed, someone else needs to fail. That doesn't exist in the gaming industry anymore and hasn't for a long time. It's not the 90s/00s anymore

In Japan, (the 2nd biggest console gaming market in the world), Switch is not a secondary console. It's the primary console. And PS or Xbox are the ones that are secondary. So you are objectively wrong, again.

The FACT is that Nintendo is in the same market as PS/Xbox. They all just have different strategies for achieving success. Nintendo focuses on the portable console model. Xbox focuses on the subscription service model. PS focuses on the traditional premium model. And they are all successful because every year they record company-breaking revenue. That is what competition is
I'm pretty sure if like the CMA and FTC (concerned about the UK outcome and US respectively) that the Switch and Nintendo aren't directly in competition with Xbox and PlayStation for the important ABK franchises' revenues, then Japan wouldn't even be the third biggest home console market behind the US and UK - in this context ironically.

People keep trying to make Nintendo part of this discussion for the UK, EU and US regulators, but the hard evidence of marketing spend of PlayStation and Xbox for 3rd party deal advertising will show that Nintendo only advertise their own games with big budget and would never dream of spending on (PlayStation advertised) Champions' league half time advert slots to market Fifa or CoD or Batllefront or AC in an expensive marketing deal with their platform to compete for those gamers.

Last edited:

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
These companies were always in competition with each other. This deal has made some twist and turn to create a new narrative to suit their personal opinions.

Things may have changed a bit since my time in consumer retail tracking back in the Wii days, but the market research company I worked at reported console/software sales reports to Nintendo including Xbox and Playstation figures, so unless anything has drastically changed since then, I'd say Nintendo still certainly see themselves in the same market as Sony and MS. Otherwise I could have doubled my revenue from them by selling them their report including just their sales data then the 'high performance' report with Xbox and PS ... missed opportunity!

Unions are great. Absolutely has no bearing on the scrutiny of this deal though.
It should be part of the scrutiny of the deal because it would not have happened if MS wasn't buying Activision. The current leadership was outwardly hostile to the whole idea. Just like subscriptions and Nintendo support. There are plenty of positives to this acquisition and all of them should be evaluated.

Things may have changed a bit since my time in consumer retail tracking back in the Wii days, but the market research company I worked at reported console/software sales reports to Nintendo including Xbox and Playstation figures, so unless anything has drastically changed since then, I'd say Nintendo still certainly see themselves in the same market as Sony and MS. Otherwise I could have doubled my revenue from them by selling them their report including just their sales data then the 'high performance' report with Xbox and PS ... missed opportunity!
Yes. In the real world Nintendo is every bit a console competitor as PlayStation and Xbox. Consumers aren't going to stores looking for the 'high performance' section of the console aisle they just want a system that plays the games they enjoy. It's sad to see people take que from an ignorant source as the FTC to get their market definitions.

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
Nintendo's opinion?
Yes, read my post above regarding what sales reports they used to buy from me / the company I worked for. They considered themselves in the same market, they wanted to know their market share vs MS and Sony, they wanted to know how their software performed against them too. They considered themselves in the same market, hence my comment.

Topher

Gold Member
Yes, read my post above regarding what sales reports they used to buy from me / the company I worked for. They considered themselves in the same market, they wanted to know their market share vs MS and Sony, they wanted to know how their software performed against them too. They considered themselves in the same market, hence my comment.

Ok sure...and that's fine. Nintendo is definitely in the video game market.

If Nintendo games and hardware are in the same shops or the same online sections as Sony and Microsoft's offerings are then they are in the same market. The specs of the hardware mean fuck all.
I'd think so too but for whatever reason people seem to think that because the Switch can be played portably it's no longer a console competitor. I wonder if that same sentiment is true for the Steam Deck. Does it stop being a PC because you can play it on the go? I think it's pretty ridiculous to claim a device is no longer in a market because of a feature: be it portable, having multiple hardware configurations, or VR. Those are simply product differences, they won't change its market.

Topher

Gold Member
There’s nothing to interpret. They spent millions upon millions of dollars to understand how they were performing against their competitors, Sony and MS. Unless you think they did it for fun, I can’t help you.

Well then you are not relaying Nintendo's opinions at all. You are stating the fact that they have performed market research....like major corporations tend to do.

When they launched on Switch is irrelevant buddy. Nintendo is part of Microsoft's financial calculation and has been for some time. Therefore it is highly relevant. Minecraft Legends is also launching this year on Nintendo.

Nintendo is a platform that Microsoft actively supports and releases new games on. People think it's relevant when games from Microsoft owned studios came to Nintendo? It doesn't matter. Microsoft knew Nintendo would be a supported platform when they entered into agreements to buy both Zenimax and Activision Blizzard. Therefore Nintendo can't be an irrelevant platform in a transaction where not just Activision Blizzard, but Microsoft both support and release new games on Nintendo.

Diablo III is on Nintendo Switch, Overwatch 2 is on Nintendo Switch, Diablo IV is likely to eventually come also, and we know Microsoft intends to bring COD to Nintendo platforms, whether it's the Switch (possible for certain older titles) or an eventual newer Nintendo system.

There is no credible argument in which Nintendo support is not financially relevant to Microsoft in this transaction, and any attempts to make such an argument are literally the stuff of fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom