• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Xbox don’t have budget to market their console? Why are they being ran like a startup? That Brad Smith pie chart looks even funnier now. How do you sell a product with no advertising?
The last few months have not gone well at all internally.

Expect a very strict budget to fall on the division starting next quarter. Heard it might look like 2015 again.

Ar¢tos

Always funny seeing comments like this. Like yeah, no shit dude - believe it or not there was a point in time when Xbox was actually run by competent people who were actually clued into the industry.

The good old days of discovering and playing Braid, Dishwasher and Castle Crashers on XBLA - Geometry Wars being re-released as a 360 launch title! The accessibility of Japanese visual novels was unique too. They had freaking Chaos;Head exclusively?!

GPInjector, Photo Parties with the boys come midnight, Hacked Betas - you remember these things right? M2AF?

The good old days when Xbox people had a pulse on game development and were sealing up now classics like BioShock and Mass Effect for exclusivity deals. When Xbox were early backers of console eSports through THEIR OWN IP with Halo and Gears through MLG / Gamebattles.

All that magic and soul pissed away by this idiot;

jR7EcRz.png

The only people who defend this current regime are Xbox zoomers who have never watched a Final Boss set or never attended an X/360 midnight launch in their life.

That's my disjointed Xbox fan rant over after thinking about the good old days
But MS paid for his vacations in Japan several times! he travelled to Japan so many times to secure Japanese games on Xbox systems!

dotnotbot

Expect a very strict budget to fall on the division starting next quarter. Heard it might look like 2015 again.

Well, they certainly have a lot of ideas on how to spend those billions, no point in throwing too much in one direction (gaming division).

Last edited:
Still baffles me

Microsoft has all the money in the world to built their own first party studio like sony does but the fact that they had to resort on buying third party publishers like activision blizard really raised the big question for everyone

Why do they need to do that? The most reasonable explanation is : lazzines
Can you guys stop with this bullshit talking point. Sony bought almost all of their first party studios in their arsenal today. Wasn’t no building them all from the ground up. This is just a weird fantasy considering it’s not true. Probably only grand truismo studio has been there from day one. Mostly everything bought.

ReBurn

Gold Member
That's not true. This started with Microsoft. It was their argument that Nintendo is proof that Sony didn't need Call of Duty. That's where all this nonsense originated.
Nintendo is proof that Sony doesn't need Call of Duty, though. The nonsense in this thread started when people began to downplay Nintendo's success without COD post-Wii when the game disappeared from Nintendo consoles. So many people were giving so many reasons how Nintendo was different. They were for kids. They don't do mature games. Nobody would buy it.

Then many of the regular faces in this thread doubled down on Nintendo not even being a competitor. Switch isn't really a console. Arbitrary graphics and power metrics preclude Switch from running games well enough. So many justifications for why Sony and Microsoft are all alone on the field and Nintendo is playing a different sport altogether.

Now, when Microsoft paints the picture in a way that actually supports what many have been saying for months it's somehow laughable Microsoft trolling and we can't have the market share comparisons without Nintendo.

I'll reiterate what I've been saying all along. Nintendo competes with Sony and Microsoft in the console market all the time. Not just when it's convenient to whatever argument people are trying to make.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Competition was defined in this thread a couple hundred pages ago as the participants in the brand new "high performance console market." People were emphatically insisting that Nintendo wasn't a part of the market and therefore should not be included in the discussion. Now the same people who were saying Nintendo wasn't competition for Sony and Microsoft are saying there's plenty of competition in the market and are including Nintendo in the charts and graphs related to the market.

It's interesting how easily Nintendo moves in and out of the market depending on the point people are trying to make.
true detective mel GIF

That's not true. This started with Microsoft. It was their argument that Nintendo is proof that Sony didn't need Call of Duty. That's where all this nonsense originated.
Yep. Not even 6 months into this, and the revisionism has already started.

Nintendo is proof that Sony doesn't need Call of Duty, though.
MS doesn't need shit either. Fix your own house before you buy away everyone else's, changing the industry via your Win OS monopoly money, an industry that the consumers have chosen to be, and play the oh so horrible* exclusives game.

*only when Sony does it.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Who in their right mind thinks Xbox would shutter if the Activision deal is blocked? Who?
Yeah that’s ridiculous to even consider. They’re not going to give up 14bn in yearly revenue, all the synergies they get from Cloud business and leave a gigantic gap for others to fill in.
Thank you. If Xbox closed up next week it would be a benefit to Microsoft, as the Xbox department posts multi billion dollar losses every quarter.
Do you honestly believe that, Jesus Christ some of you are beyond any sense of reality.
That sounds like hes starting to give up on that ABK deal
It’s a direct question, what is he supposed to do other than answer it? He’s just stating the truth, which is that it wouldn’t be the end of the division since it doesn’t have ABK today.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Can you guys stop with this bullshit talking point. Sony bought almost all of their first party studios in their arsenal today. Wasn’t no building them all from the ground up. This is just a weird fantasy considering it’s not true. Probably only grand truismo studio has been there from day one. Mostly everything bought.
Lies No GIF

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Fire some of the Xbox team, bye Greenberg, bye Major Nelson, bye Phil. Change the controller to one that looks like the DualSense, I ain't using asymmetrical sticks.
I have an OK-ish PC now for 1080p gaming (3060) so I don't really need an Xbox though.
Also I am from the UK, fuck America!
Kidding, added the last part after seeing the Tweet above lol.

I think you maybe right about everything but the xbox controller! You absolute heathen!

Also fellow uk player! 🇬🇧 3060 is an awesome card so you can enjoy all the good xbox content anyway. 👍

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Funny, Xbox took away a game from Mac when they acquired Bungie back in the days. The difference right now is that Sony is not taking away franchises or multiplayer games with all their recent acquisitions.

Bethesda for instance has franchises and IP which are older then the Xbox brand. MS is the only one that has a shitload of multiplatform IP's which they have control over. Name 1 multiplatform IP that Sony owns right now which was a big multiplatform IP?

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Fire some of the Xbox team, bye Greenberg, bye Major Nelson, bye Phil. Change the controller to one that looks like the DualSense, I ain't using asymmetrical sticks.
I have an OK-ish PC now for 1080p gaming (3060) so I don't really need an Xbox though.
Also I am from the UK, fuck America!
Kidding, added the last part after seeing the Tweet above lol.
They could sure clean house with those guys and Xbox might be better off but don't you dare change the controller layout

will smith no GIF

Topher

Gold Member
Nintendo is proof that Sony doesn't need Call of Duty, though.

It isn't proof of anything.

Now, when Microsoft paints the picture in a way that actually supports what many have been saying for months it's somehow laughable Microsoft trolling and we can't have the market share comparisons without Nintendo.

I'll reiterate what I've been saying all along. Nintendo competes with Sony and Microsoft in the console market all the time. Not just when it's convenient to whatever argument people are trying to make.

Actually, that graph excluding Nintendo from Microsoft makes my point for me. Did I miss where you or others who have argued so vehemently that Nintendo should be in this conversation in all aspects have called out Microsoft for excluding Nintendo "when it's convenient to whatever argument people are trying to make"?

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Everybody can go out and buy COD right now ... so this acquisition has fuck all to do with "better competition is good for gamers" ... this is literally MS buying several IPs of the market and keeping for ever for themselves to do what they want ... yeah lets make a 10 year deal.. well what good do this do if MS kills the IP with their shit studio management or something else..
Im sorry for the xbox super fans who want this to happen because of game wars .. but MS has been failing and is all their fault and I for one wouldnt mind if they fucked of with their windows billions before they fuck the entire industry

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It isn't proof of anything.

Actually, that graph excluding Nintendo from Microsoft makes my point for me. Did I miss where you or others who have argued so vehemently that Nintendo should be in this conversation in all aspects have called out Microsoft for excluding Nintendo "when it's convenient to whatever argument people are trying to make"?
It's only okay when our team does it. Especially when it comes to exclusives.
Sassy Told You So GIF

quest

Not Banned from OT
Everybody can go out and buy COD right now ... so this acquisition has fuck all to do with "better competition is good for gamers" ... this is literally MS buying several IPs of the market and keeping for ever for themselves to do what they want ... yeah lets make a 10 year deal.. well what good do this do if MS kills the IP with their shit studio management or something else..
Im sorry for the xbox super fans who want this to happen because of game wars .. but MS has been failing and is all their fault and I for one wouldnt mind if they fucked of with their windows billions before they fuck the entire industry

You have a special version of COD for the switch? A switch only customer can't go buy it. Microsoft will bring it to the switch expanding access like they have minecraft.

ReBurn

Gold Member
true detective mel GIF

Yep. Not even 6 months into this, and the revisionism has already started.

MS doesn't need shit either. Fix your own house before you buy away everyone else's, changing the industry via your Win OS monopoly money, an industry that the consumers have chosen to be, and play the oh so horrible* exclusives game.

*only when Sony does it.
There is revisionism, yes, but not the kind you seem to be accusing me of. I never accused Sony of doing anything wrong in any of my comments on this matter. They built their market share they way they built it and that's no problem for me. My problem is with the people in this thread who for months have said Nintendo isn't relevant to the competition discussion suddenly trying to make Nintendo relevant. Sony's market power without Nintendo on the chart doesn't necessarily look good when people use the charts to show how much Sony actually controls so best to include Nintendo again.

I've also never said anything about the OS market. Microsoft created the OS that PC gamers seem to overwhelmingly favor just like Sony created the console that gamers seem to overwhelmingly favor. That's the weirdest argument anyone makes in regard to this because there isn't a scenario, acquisition or not, where COD leaves PC. But here you are chirping about OS monopoly. That's just weird.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Hahahahahahaha

‘this is clearly down to budget’

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!
We don't want ads is something no division has said ever. Im sure the bean counters went to Phil and said you want a few 100 million for an ad campaign and he said no thanks lol.

GHG

We don't want ads is something no division has said ever. Im sure the bean counters went to Phil and said you want a few 100 million for an ad campaign and he said no thanks lol.

It's become obvious they don't "advertise" in the same way that most companies in this space do (and have done). They are overly reliant on their "communities" and social media campaigns to do the heavy lifting for them. That's even been reflected in their actions throughout this regulatory process - the use of twitter, the public and the media to get their messages across to regulators. Typically this kind of thing is kept behind closed doors because it's a legal matter, but they are insistent on making the whole ordeal a circus.

There's a lot to be said about this, but most of it comes back to the point - at their core they are a software company that typically focuses on enterprise, not an entertainment company that focuses on selling products to the general consumer.

There's enough evidence out there to show they (they, being xbox specifically) really don't have a clue when it comes to marketing (particularly outside of anglo-centric countries) and how to appropriately position their products.

Last edited:

FritzJ92

I don’t see how people want Microsoft to exit the game or react to the market like Nintendo and Sony.

We need companies who can take the biggest risks. Nintendo and Sony damn sure aren’t going to do that. They will dip their toe but never fully commit. Look how quick Nintendo dropped the Wii U the minute it started to underperform, to release something safer. Sony took a risk with the PS3 and resorted to something safer.

With Xbox they took a risk with Xbox 360, suffered, risked with XB1 and Kinect suffered… this might be their less riskiest generation and it has nothing to differentiate them from competitors. There is a place for each of the big three and none of them should shut down (hopefully) and none of them should try to emulate another or else where is the competition?

FriulHado

Funny, Xbox took away a game from Mac when they acquired Bungie back in the days. The difference right now is that Sony is not taking away franchises or multiplayer games with all their recent acquisitions.

Bethesda for instance has franchises and IP which are older then the Xbox brand. MS is the only one that has a shitload of multiplatform IP's which they have control over. Name 1 multiplatform IP that Sony owns right now which was a big multiplatform IP?
It’s worst. Sony takes away games from Xbox without the possession of that studios. Personally I see more cruelty in that than owning a publisher and doing everything they want with it.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
My problem is with the people in this thread who for months have said Nintendo isn't relevant to the competition discussion suddenly trying to make Nintendo relevant. Sony's market power without Nintendo on the chart doesn't necessarily look good when people use the charts to show how much Sony actually controls so best to include Nintendo again.

And yet Microsoft is the one that brought Nintendo into this discussion and now Microsoft is the one that is excluding Nintendo. When push comes to shove, Microsoft put away all the bullshit arguments and went to the crux of the issue at hand: Xbox vs PlayStation.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
It's become obvious they don't "advertise" in the same way that most companies in this space do (and have done). They are overly reliant on their "communities" and social media campaigns to do the heavy lifting for them. That's even been reflected in their actions throughout this regulatory process - the use of twitter, the public and the media to get their messages across to regulators. Typically this kind of thing is kept behind closed doors because it's a legal matter, but they are insistent on making the whole ordeal a circus.

There's a lot to be said about this, but most of it comes back to the point - at their core they are a software company that typically focuses on enterprise, not an entertainment company that focuses on selling products to the general consumer.

There's enough evidence out there to show they (they, being xbox specifically) really don't have a clue when it comes to marketing (particularly outside of anglo-centric countries) and how to appropriately position their products.
💯 it’s gorilla warfare from MS.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
You have a special version of COD for the switch? A switch only customer can't go buy it. Microsoft will bring it to the switch expanding access like they have minecraft.
You can be sure MS wont launch shit on switch right now ... they can launch on switch 2 with their next main line game in like 2/3 years but so can ABK ... there is a reason COD is not on switch and is not MS that is going to change that in the near future ... is obvious they are talking about nintendo next console and the future games.. but is also obvious that if the hardware is capable ABK will also put cod there as there is no reason to leave this money in the table

One way or another you are banking on MS/xbox division promises and my friend.. I surely hope you can handle disappointment as xbox fans learned to handle

Last edited:

ToadMan

And you know where that started? Regulators defining new market segments that don't include Nintendo to bolster their cases. Including Nintendo makes the acquisition look less impactful to the overall market. This graphic could be true in a narrowly defined segment like "high performance consoles." But people don't seem to like the visual so now Nintendo needs to be back in the game and on the pie chart to balance things out a bit.

And you know where it ended - Brad Smith putting up that slide. I could point out that the CMA review of MS 's documents showed they didn't track Nintendo as closely but nah, why bother.

MS don't see Nintendo as competition -> .

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
And you know where it ended - Brad Smith putting up that slide. I could point out that the CMA review of MS 's documents showed they didn't track Nintendo as closely but nah, why bother.

Phil literally just talked about them like they do. Consistency of messaging is one of their problems.

GHG

They don't see Nintendo as competition but yet they've directly said to regulators that Sony can become more like Nintendo should the Activision purchase go through.

Makes you think doesn't it.

Last edited:

Could it be because of their "weird" positioning? They are torn between focusing on GP, as their next platform, and their hardware (X and S): Striking a good balance in terms of messaging can be tricky.

Last edited:

ToadMan

They sure did and have a healthy business as a result of all those acquisitions that never got reported in mainstream media because no one ever heard of those companies.

Meanwhile MS has done the same but on a much larger scale recently, and is .... 2nd. Why don't we give MS time to do something with the immense amount of shit they've bought already before just handing over the keys to the entire market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom