• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GHG

Gold Member
Hopefully he factchecked this with Lulu first 😂😂😂
We don't want journalists spouting uncomfortable information to the public

This is not the dirt some people were anticipating to be dug up during this court process.

I did tell everyone it won't be pretty for any company that gets wrapped up in this mess. Some people are going to learn a thing a two about how these huge businesses are run, it's not all rainbows and roses.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Why should Microsoft create games for the Playstation after purchasing Bethesda? It's better if they keep it exclusive to hopefully gain some marketshare.
You have to choose one.. is better to aquire publishers to make exclusive games because will gain marketshare orrrrr Is better because MS wants to take COD to every system and everyone !!! Because they seeing to be aiming for the two approaches in so litte time and is boggling CMAs and everyone's mind

Last edited:
It's not a question of "Why would they" so much as they themselves said they had no reason not to.
And they said Bethesda games on non-Xbox platforms would be taken on a 'case by case' basis. This important detail seems to be forgotten. There are some games they have continued to support on non-Xbox platforms and some that are not. MS never claimed all of their first party titles would be on non-Xbox platforms. They certainly have not made the same claims for Bethesda titles as they have for CoD.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sad Road Trip GIF by Hyper RPG

POKEYCLYDE

Clearly missing the forest through the trees to "Sony too."

This was just to highlight the doublespeak the man is notorious for.
What's the double speak? How the shit does bringing Call of Duty to Ubitus have anything to do with NFTs?

I guess Microsoft shouldn't deal with Sony then seeing as Sony is very interested in NFTs.
Sony patent on renting NFTs to gamers

Again, the reaching to make anything Microsoft does to look bad is baffling. If Microsoft backtracked on their decision to not allow NFTs in Minecraft, or if Microsoft pursued NFT implementation in their first party video games, yeah... that's double speak.

But you should know better than to lob a guilt by association fallacy out there.

Brucey

Embrace, Expand, Extinguish
It's actually Embrace, Extend, Extinguish.

"Embrace, extend, and extinguish" (EEE),[1] also known as "embrace, extend, and exterminate",[2] is a phrase that the U.S. Department of Justice found[3] that was used internally by Microsoft[4] to describe its strategy for entering product categories involving widely used standards, extending those standards with proprietary capabilities, and then using those differences in order to strongly disadvantage its competitors.

The phrase is no longer used by Microsoft, or describes its current position toward Linux or open source generally. Microsoft has "changed since the days of branding Linux a cancer"[5] and is currently the largest contributing firm to open-source projects.[6]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What's the double speak? How the shit does bringing Call of Duty to Ubitus have anything to do with NFTs?

I guess Microsoft shouldn't deal with Sony then seeing as Sony is very interested in NFTs.
Sony patent on renting NFTs to gamers

Again, the reaching to make anything Microsoft does to look bad is baffling. If Microsoft backtracked on their decision to not allow NFTs in Minecraft, or if Microsoft pursued NFT implementation in their first party video games, yeah... that's double speak.

But you should know better than to lob a guilt by association fallacy out there.
Ok.

It's actually Embrace, Extend, Extinguish.

"Embrace, extend, and extinguish" (EEE),[1] also known as "embrace, extend, and exterminate",[2] is a phrase that the U.S. Department of Justice found[3] that was used internally by Microsoft[4] to describe its strategy for entering product categories involving widely used standards, extending those standards with proprietary capabilities, and then using those differences in order to strongly disadvantage its competitors.

The phrase is no longer used by Microsoft, or describes its current position toward Linux or open source generally. Microsoft has "changed since the days of branding Linux a cancer"[5] and is currently the largest contributing firm to open-source projects.[6]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish
i thought it was some Dr. Disrespect shit.

Dane

The EU is likely to approve. If that happens the FTC will surely follow suit.

The EU is far more aggressive when it comes to things like this. Apple is soon to completely remodel their mobile business (usb-c iPhone, allowing 3rd party app stores) solely because of EU pressure.

This thread is like living in an alternate universe.
The ironic part of regulators is that they claim a nascent industry (cloud) would be a monopoly right off the bat with xCloud, if they reject these proposals with smaller companies, that means its not the monopoly the issue and therefore its political.

feynoob

Damn, this is much spicier than anything we have seen.
MS is doing Opera 👠 meme.

I want to know what will the outcome be, if somehow this deal fails.

vj27

Banned
well MS bought Minecraft once it was already big. so
… ok, not sure what you mean tbh. Either way chrome books have a huuuuuge market share. Like I said, they’re the modern day netbooks. If you need a cheap computer, you get a Chromebook. I can legit see this making the user base of Minecraft bigger by a significant margin. Especially if crossplay is there.

Edit: plus I watch my little cousins time to time, they go to schools that still use a mix of chromebooks an iPads so they have chromebooks at their house. It’s cool that I can gift them some Minecraft codes for them since they already have those devices. Did it for their iPads but this will be the big girl version lol, hopefully.

Last edited:
And they said Bethesda games on non-Xbox platforms would be taken on a 'case by case' basis. This important detail seems to be forgotten. There are some games they have continued to support on non-Xbox platforms and some that are not. MS never claimed all of their first party titles would be on non-Xbox platforms. They certainly have not made the same claims for Bethesda titles as they have for CoD.

But there is no case by case basis. Unless im very wrong I don't see another Bethesda game on PS again. Do you think there will be? Also ghostwire and deathloop were pre existing contracts signed before the acquisition, so they don't count towards anything. If there are ever sequels to both those games they would be xbox and pc only. Case by case was just another phrase with no substance. Microsoft are the King's of doing that.

Last edited:
… ok, not sure what you mean tbh. Either way chrome books have a huuuuuge market share. Like I said, they’re the modern day netbooks. If you need a cheap computer, you get a Chromebook. I can legit see this making the user base of Minecraft bigger by a significant margin. Especially if crossplay is there.

Edit: plus I watch my little cousins time to time, they go to schools that still use a mix of chromebooks an iPads so they have chromebooks at their house. It’s cool that I can gift them some Minecraft codes for them since they already have those devices. Did it for their iPads but this will be the big girl version lol, hopefully.
Chromebooks/Tablets are using the Android OS. right?

Over here in Mexico for children is way more Popular to buy a cheaper Smartphone. its equally useful for homework. (and have better specs than tablets for the same money).

but yes. overall speaking for "office work/taking notes and stuff like that" android OS is the dominant platform.

Topher

Gold Member

Not sure if this was posted or not. This is actually pretty big, in my college and throughout all of high school chrome books completely took over. Modern day netbook and all that.

That has been a thing for a while.

The article actually mentions it:

"Mojang, the Microsoft-owned developer of Minecraft, originally launched Minecraft: Education Edition on Chromebooks in 2020, but this special edition required a school license or an Office 365 Education account. "

So they are expanding the license......ok.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

"Mojang, the Microsoft-owned developer of Minecraft, originally launched Minecraft: Education Edition on Chromebooks in 2020, but this special edition required a school license or an Office 365 Education account. "

"Maybe they won't notice...."

Jemm

But there is no case by case basis. Unless im very wrong I don't see another Bethesda game on PS again. Do you think there will be?
I understood that at the time (and still do) that no more single player games for PlayStation, but live service games like ESO and FO76 will continue to get updates and possible sequels. Not that people care as much of those...

Makes sense to keep them multiplatform, since every gamer counts for GaaS.

That's why I think COD would remain multiplatform (even after 10 years), as it helps to fund Game Pass and other expenses - lot more, than multiplat Zenimax SP games would.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Why does it matter what a competitor is interested in? The deal is to bring Call of Duty to their streaming service/platform. It's not like Microsoft is partnering with them to bring NFTs to Xbox.

Sony is way more interested in NFTs than Microsoft.

The reaching some of you are doing to put any good deal in a bad light is quite frankly impressive.

It’s fucking insane the lengths some here will go to in order to twist anything Phil says into a lie or as one of the warriors put it later in the thread, “double speak” 😆

Xbox isn’t doing NFTs and he thinks they are mostly exploitive so that means they can never do any kind of business with anyone who has done an NFT or he’s a double speaking liar!!!

And the guy you quoted had the audacity to say MS is desperate. There is no self awareness.

gothmog

Gold Member

Smells like desperation to get any news out there that makes them look good while they're trying to lobby this one out.

Astray

In a weird way, you have to admire the audacity of shouting about your contracts from the rooftops to everyone who will listen, but at the same time refusing to let anyone see what they entail. Either keep it all private or don't, the disingenuous PR bullshit needs to fucking go.

If I had to speculate, it's because they have a much more onerous pricing for Sony and maybe even Nintendo compared to others.

Helghan

In a weird way, you have to admire the audacity of shouting about your contracts from the rooftops to everyone who will listen, but at the same time refusing to let anyone see what they entail. Either keep it all private or don't, the disingenuous PR bullshit needs to fucking go.

If I had to speculate, it's because they have a much more onerous pricing for Sony and maybe even Nintendo compared to others.
Right… Because when Sony announced they were using Azure for some cloud services they showed the whole contract. That’s how it works when two companies decide to work together. Apparently they just share all details. Are you delusional?

Topher

Gold Member
Right… Because when Sony announced they were using Azure for some cloud services they showed the whole contract. That’s how it works when two companies decide to work together. Apparently they just share all details. Are you delusional?

They could have been ordered to if that deal was part of a government investigation, but it wasn't. So no, not the same thing at all.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

Nobody is forgetting that they said this. The piece that you are constantly ignoring is that they said they had no incentive to make Zenimax games exclusive, and then two days after the acquisition was approved they made Zenimax games exclusive. That's what we call a lie.

splattered

Sounds to me more like FTC is wanting to see the contracts in detail because yeah it could potentially weaken their argument(s)... Things are looking up recently for MS, and here i thought they were on the ropes for a while haha love all this drama. Hopefully we get some juicy MS & Sony internal document leaks soon!

Helghan

They could have been ordered to if that deal was part of a government investigation, but it wasn't. So no, not the same thing at all.

Was Sony's deal with Azure something that happened to appease regulators?

They weren't seeking fucking regulator approvals tho, were they?
Has nothing to do with it. It’s about Ashtray saying it was disingenuous PR bullshit, when it’s just normal PR stuff that any company would do.

FTC can indeed ask to see the contracts but again that has nothing to do with calling it disingenuous PR bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom