• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Helghan

Microsoft has hit back at Sony’s recent claim that the company’s upcoming acquisition of Activision Blizzard is anti-competitive with a counter-claim of its own. In a filing to the Brazil Administrative Council for Economic Defense, Microsoft has shot down the attempt to derail its plans by claiming Sony is the company implementing anti-competitive practices in regards to the Xbox Game Pass subscription service.
While Sony claimed Microsoft could wield the Call of Duty franchise as an exclusive title, and sway fans to join the Xbox ecosystem that way, it has now clarified that making the franchise exclusive would be financially unviable , and that it has no plans to do so.

The company has also counter-claimed that Sony is actively working to stop the growth of the company, and of its subscription service xbox gamepass, because the service threatens Sony’s market dominance.

‘Sony does not want attractive subscription services to threaten its dominance in the digital distribution market for console games,’ Microsoft said in the legal filing. ‘Sony’s own PlayStation, incidentally, has an established base of loyal brand players.’
‘Microsoft’s ability to continue expanding Game Pass has been hampered by Sony’s desire to inhibit such growth. Sony pays for “blocking rights” to prevent developers from adding content to Game Pass and other competing subscription services.’

https://www.gameshub.com/news/news/microsoft-sony-anti-competitive-accusations-xbox-game-pass-26504/
This actually makes a lot of sense. Microsoft wanted to grow in the market through Game Pass. Sony saw this happening and made blocking deals for games so they can’t get on Game Pass. The solution that makes most business sense for Microsoft is to then to buy those companies and make sure those deals can’t be made so their first strategy still works while making some extra money.

Smoke6

There is some irony in belittling some of the smaller players getting contract guarantees from MS meanwhile crying about what it potentially does to the biggest player in the game which is Sony. Yes, this would have never happened for them if not for Sony's strong opposition, but some and those decrying this acquisition as anti-competitive are now laughing at the fact MS is trying to cater to the smaller competition. This is becoming a potential huge win for some of the smaller players but the biggest concern still seems to be what it will do to Sony.
It’s not gonna do much! Most the devs are gonna move on and away from this and start their own studios or join others elsewhere! We’re seeing it now with a few here and there leaving and it’s being announced in a way to make you think they’re few and far between! That’s why Sony gave up and extra billion to keep the devs they have with bungie!

Warablo

So it should be totes, no big deal worn divest it all then, eh?
If I was Microsoft, I wouldn't mind a divestment if they got CoD devs and rights. They would probably want King too. They would then have Candy Crush and CoD Mobile for their mobile start up.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’m sorry which games on Xbox 360 (or PS3 for that matter) had dedicated servers? Nearly everything was P2P from what I remember, Gears of War in particular was broken in that ‘host advantage’ was god mode.

Ornoku

I’m sorry which games on Xbox 360 (or PS3 for that matter) had dedicated servers? Nearly everything was P2P from what I remember, Gears of War in particular was broken in that ‘host advantage’ was god mode.
Exactly. The only games that were dedicated were games like Battlefield by EA. Something like Killzone used dedicated servers to start matchmaking but once in the game were P2P. Xbox 360 had more games running on dedicated servers earlier than PS3. Even a lot of PS4 games were running p2p.

mansoor1980

This actually makes a lot of sense. Microsoft wanted to grow in the market through Game Pass. Sony saw this happening and made blocking deals for games so they can’t get on Game Pass. The solution that makes most business sense for Microsoft is to then to buy those companies and make sure those deals can’t be made so their first strategy still works while making some extra money.
so are they a monopoly or not?

Gobjuduck

Banned
MAG had dedicated servers if I remember. Games was fun for 1 day.

mansoor1980

They never said that in that quote you listed. No idea why you posted that to try and prove your point. I doubt Microsoft would ever say Sony is a monopoly.
Anti-competitive behaviour is used by business and governments to lessen competition within the markets so that monopolies and dominant firms can generate supernormal profits and deter competitors from the market. Therefore, it is heavily regulated and punishable by law in cases where it substantially affects the market.
microsoft with the counter claim that sony has anti-competitive practices in the industry,,,,,,,,,,,,,
anti-competitive behaviour=monopoly

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

If I'm not mistaken, Battlefield 3 did.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If I was Microsoft, I wouldn't mind a divestment if they got CoD devs and rights. They would probably want King too. They would then have Candy Crush and CoD Mobile for their mobile start up.
Confused Mark Wahlberg GIF

The burden of proof isn’t on me. Activision have published plenty of great games on the Switch. If you’re suggesting they were just going to stop that stone dead, then you should provide proof (y)
The proof is the current slate of games Activision is making for Nintendo is the proof. As I've stated numerous times no title is guaranteed on any platform. Case and point.

Ju4ln4H.jpg

Four was on Xbox so of course Five will be right? Activision has no current plans on making Nintendo games right now and there is no guarantee that will happen in the future. MS has provided Nintendo a contract to get that guarantee for their biggest IP. It's OK to acknowledge that this deal benefits multiple parties not just MS.

It is objectively true that more parties will gain access to CoD and Activision employees will benefit than if this deal does not happen. You want to talk proof? Show that the multiple points I mentioned earlier would all still happen should this deal be blocked. This is much bigger than Sony and PlayStation. A platform, I might add, that will also still receive CoD by the way.

I addressed the point that I wanted to address.
How convenient.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The proof is the current slate of games Activision is making for Nintendo is the proof. As I've stated numerous times no title is guaranteed on any platform. Case and point.

Ju4ln4H.jpg

Four was on Xbox so of course Five will be right? Activision has no current plans on making Nintendo games right now and there is no guarantee that will happen in the future. MS has provided Nintendo a contract to get that guarantee for their biggest IP. It's OK to acknowledge that this deal benefits multiple parties not just MS.

It is objectively true that more parties will gain access to CoD and Activision employees will benefit than if this deal does not happen. You want to talk proof? Show that the multiple points I mentioned earlier would all still happen should this deal be blocked. This is much bigger than Sony and PlayStation. A platform, I might add, that will also still receive CoD by the way.

How convenient.
You’re like a cute puppy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

If I'm not mistaken, Battlefield 3 did.
Yeah, there’s not many but that’s a good one. Someone had said that XBL was worth it in the 360 era due to the dedicated servers which is just revisionism. I paid for Gold but only because I liked Gears and Halo. The voice chat, messaging, parties etc were a league above PS3. Whether that’s worth £40 a year was down to the individual but game play wise the 360 and PS3 offered a near identical experience for online games.

Warablo

Was there a word or ten autocorrected as it sounds like there would be no divestment in your divestment.
I said IF I WAS Microsoft

and if I can't choose which I want out of the company then I simply wouldn't purchase the CoD devs unless I knew for sure I could get all three to continue business as usual.

Don't think Microsoft cares that much about Blizzard, even though they would be beneficial add-ons.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
Someone hasn't read any of the CMA's documents. Random ass streaming company nobody has heard of is exactly who the CMA are concerned about in the cloud gaming space that it worries could be dominated by a small set of major players all protecting their own interests. The more less known the streaming company is, the more significant the deal and the more Microsoft absolutely shreds the CMA's SLC concerns.

Do try to keep up!
How is twitter fight going?

DrFigs

You’re like a cute puppy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yeah, there’s not many but that’s a good one. Someone had said that XBL was worth it in the 360 era due to the dedicated servers which is just revisionism. I paid for Gold but only because I liked Gears and Halo. The voice chat, messaging, parties etc were a league above PS3. Whether that’s worth £40 a year was down to the individual but game play wise the 360 and PS3 offered a near identical experience for online games.
It was said a lot back then because Xbox gamers needed a justification for paying for online. But the experience was largely the same. With 2 major exceptions.
1. When psn went offline for a while
2. it seemed that cod devs in particular did not care about patching ps3 versions of their games. They became almost immediately unplayable on ps3 once the next game came out, but seemed to do better on 360. But that seems like an Activision problem.

Last edited:

GHG

Imagine being hurt by Call of Duty before we even get to "all those years" just let Microsoft buy it now and then go play it on a potato in 2028 for $3.65

My man, if I want to play call of duty I will buy it when I want to play it, even if its at the time of release.

It's funny how all these #notafanboy #iownallconsoles clowns tend to be the ones most butthurt about exclusives. Something doesn't quite add up.

Astray

Can anyone point out any quote from Phil Spencer or anyone currently at MS pushing this philosophy or making this statement?
My friend, no one at Microsoft publicly said that phrase, it was found out via basically the same process that we're all going through now: Regulatory challenge.

I think both Sony and Microsoft will be found to have said worse, but it will all be redacted to us.

DryvBy

First it was regulators are 'protecting Sony' and now they should level the playing field. I wonder what's next? Regulators should investigate Sony and somehow remove their earned market share? Beyond all that, so many people keep trying to make this solely about Sony and the need for them to be punished for their success (while MS should be rewarded for their mistakes and failures). Consequently, the far more important effects on consumers, new entrants into the market, etc. are continually treated as insignificant by media and Twitter talking heads. It's impossible to take any of them seriously due to this.

They could maybe put out games people like when it just them? They end up buying companies, the games they're working on launch then they have nothing from the same great studio.

The problem is MS isn't in this to make games. They're in this to make money by charging fees. This is why they keep acquiring big names and doing what I said above.

splattered

My man, if I want to play call of duty I will buy it when I want to play it, even if its at the time of release.

It's funny how all these #notafanboy #iownallconsoles clowns tend to be the ones most butthurt about exclusives. Something doesn't quite add up.
Who is butthurt? I own SF5 on ps4 and COD on Xbox. I play em where I have/want to.

GHG

They could maybe put out games people like when it just them? They end up buying companies, the games they're working on launch then they have nothing from the same great studio.

The problem is MS isn't in this to make games. They're in this to make money by charging fees. This is why they keep acquiring big names and doing what I said above.

This exactly my issue with them. Their vision for gaming (subscriptions + cloud) doesn't align with what I see as healthy for the industry. I also have serious issues with their management of their games and game studios. When you judge them on games that they developed from scratch that have released over the last decade it doesn't look great. I fully expect them to Rare the shit out of Bethesda and also Activision if they manage to get them.

They got it right with the original console and the 360 but since then it's been steadily downhill. Overall I don't see anything changing until there's a management change at the highest level. A company with their resources should be doing a million times better than they have been in recent times.

Who is butthurt? I own SF5 on ps4 and COD on Xbox. I play em where I have/want to.

You decided to interject. I wasn't talking about you, and I never was. Unless you're going to tell me you've been complaining about SFV all these years too?

I know I'm not. Majority of the population is Stupid with a capital S and newer generations are even dumber.
Even if you just want to limit it to this particular subject, videogames, the xbox brand perfectly encapsulates how dumb people really are.
You seem really confident here, so let's see how it plays out.
People actually paid for online gaming, during a generation where the competitors of the xbox brand had free online gaming. And they defended the practice while experiencing virtually 0 benefits for the privilege of paying for it.
While there were definitely some people who went overboard cheerleading it, the two experiences weren't the same. XBL was exponentially more stable vs PSN, and had more features. PSN wasn't even capable of having party chat. Despite the flaws in their system being pointed out, Sony chose to incompetently do nothing which ultimately lead to PSN being hacked. Not that they did themselves any favors by secretly waiting 2 weeks before they told anybody about it.
So much so, that they told the competition that it would be okay to start charging for it. And suddenly, console gamers stopped having a place to play new games online at no extra charge.

That's how stupid people are.
Considering the things I mentioned above, it's pretty flimsy to say that MS "told them to start charging for it". While MS was definitely erring on the side of greedy to charge for online play, they at least offered a stable and fully functional service while Sony most certainly did not. When the XB1/PS4 released, Xbox made some mind boggling decisions of which MS felt the immediate results of. Meanwhile the kind of people you're referring to didn't utter so much as peep at Sony announcing that they would now be charging for online having just spent an entire gen utterly failing to provide a even a competent one.

Stupid is nothing more than someone's opinion. So confidently insisting you're right, and calling such large swathes of the general population stupid might not be such a good idea if you immediately follow it with that kind of argument.

nikolino840

This exactly my issue with them. Their vision for gaming (subscriptions + cloud) doesn't align with what I see as healthy for the industry. I also have serious issues with their management of their games and game studios. When you judge them on games that they developed from scratch that have released over the last decade it doesn't look great. I fully expect them to Rare the shit out of Bethesda and also Activision if they manage to get them.

They got it right with the original console and the 360 but since then it's been steadily downhill. Overall I don't see anything changing until there's a management change at the highest level. A company with their resources should be doing a million times better than they have been in recent times.

You decided to interject. I wasn't talking about you, and I never was. Unless you're going to tell me you've been complaining about SFV all these years too?
I don't how how can be unhealhty...maybe is true but not unhealthy for consumers...

Do you knows the 5 whys for the problem solving? Can you ask 5 times why is unhealthy to try to find the root of the problem? Just an experment maybe is usless this time 😂 but at work the company where I work their are trying to use the "toyota method" to find problems and work better

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_whys

Except Sony had dedicated servers and MS were running P2P. Of course it was argued back then that P2P made Xbox the better service, eventually that stopped when Xbox caught up.
Well that's one way to prove you weren't gaming during that time. Of course I would chalk it up to you just making an honest mistake, except that you doubled down on the whole thing with your supposed narrative and excuses.

It was exactly the opposite of what you just described. PSN couldn't even implement something as simple as party chat up until the PS4 released. Stability, up time, performance, features, and security were leagues better on XBL compared to PSN.

"When Xbox caught up" 😂
Xbox was caught up the first second they released it.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Well that's one way to prove you weren't gaming during that time. Of course I would chalk it up to you just making an honest mistake, except that you doubled down on the whole thing with your supposed narrative and excuses.

It was exactly the opposite of what you just described. PSN couldn't even implement something as simple as party chat up until the PS4 released. Stability, up time, performance, features, and security were leagues better on XBL compared to PSN.

"When Xbox caught up" 😂
Aside from the massive security incident, no.
Up time wasn’t an issue, and you avoided my point on dedicated servers, I didn’t mention anything else.

Three

"When Xbox caught up" 😂
He's right though with regard to dedicated servers. P2P was relatively new and PSN had more dedicated server games. It was behind on everything else though at launch. No trophies, poor party chat, etc.

Activision told the CMA that the cloud experience is not good enough for something like Call of Duty
doesn't this make the cloud deals look bad for microsoft?

Nope! It makes Microsoft's case even stronger. In order for something to be considered a relevant consumer benefit it needs to be merger-specific, something that would not have occurred absent the merger.

Activision goes into detail, calling out multiple instances where the CMA blatantly misrepresents its internal documents and uses one-off remarks by lower-level people to claim that they would embrace cloud gaming despite all top management and decision-makers making it crystal clear in internal documents and all testimony that they believe the increased local processing of mobile devices is a far better strategy for Activision going forward rather than embracing the cloud.

Long story short, the evidence appears overwhelming that Activision does not believe in cloud gaming and would have never put their games onto such services, and the only reason it's happening at all is because Microsoft is buying activision. They have said in their response to the CMA that their internal documents prove overwhelmingly they would have never made the cloud deals Microsoft has. That reality and set of facts makes any attempt by the CMA to block the deal significantly more difficult. It does not make their task, if it is to block, easier.

My friend, no one at Microsoft publicly said that phrase, it was found out via basically the same process that we're all going through now: Regulatory challenge.

I think both Sony and Microsoft will be found to have said worse, but it will all be redacted to us.
You have a time frame of this alleged philosophy? I assume this is pretty recent yes? It obviously isn't part of the Xbox strategy seeing how they've been in third place in console since inception. Maybe they'll extinguish from the back or something.

Nope! It makes Microsoft's case even stronger. In order for something to be considered a relevant consumer benefit it needs to be merger-specific, something that would not have occurred absent the merger.

Activision goes into detail, calling out multiple instances where the CMA blatantly misrepresents its internal documents and uses one-off remarks by lower-level people to claim that they would embrace cloud gaming despite all top management and decision-makers making it crystal clear in internal documents and all testimony that they believe the increased local processing of mobile devices is a far better strategy for Activision going forward rather than embracing the cloud.

Long story short, the evidence appears overwhelming that Activision does not believe in cloud gaming and would have never put their games onto such services, and the only reason it's happening at all is because Microsoft is buying activision. They have said in their response to the CMA that their internal documents prove overwhelmingly they would have never made the cloud deals Microsoft has. That reality and set of facts makes any attempt by the CMA to block the deal significantly more difficult. It does not make their task, if it is to block, easier.
Still pretty funny to see people argue that Activision would make all these moves absent the acquisition so therefore MS has no reason to purchase them. Alternate reality stuff along with MS putting bugs in PlayStation games to hurt their platform.

Topher

Gold Member
damn man why y'all so hostile towards Sen all the time lol

You mean Sen the condescending asshole?

Gee……I don’t know

Edit: I do not know of any other person here who pretends they bless this forum with their presence. Do you? If he were a pro-Sony guy, I guarantee you my attitude would be the same.

Last edited:
I don't how how can be unhealhty...maybe is true but not unhealthy for consumers...

Do you knows the 5 whys for the problem solving? Can you ask 5 times why is unhealthy to try to find the root of the problem? Just an experment maybe is usless this time 😂 but at work the company where I work their are trying to use the "toyota method" to find problems and work better

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_whys
Not good industry future
Company history consolidation
Direct purchase market
Game quality decline less big games to risk no profit for developers
お金があっても見返りがなければ、リスクを負うことはありません。
Mismanagement studios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom