• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

feynoob

Gold Member
oops

7eq7h9.jpg
Matthew Broderick GIF
Shouldnt this have been total consoles?
Because it doesnt make sense to use xbox one or xbs vs ps4 or ps5 in this equation.

Brad is adding all PS consoles vs all Xbox consoles.
Just your typical corprate bulshit stats that hides the real stats.

Topher

Gold Member
Shouldnt this have been total consoles?
Because it doesnt make sense to use xbox one or xbs vs ps4 or ps5 in this equation.

Brad is adding all PS consoles vs all Xbox consoles.
Just your typical corprate bulshit stats that hides the real stats.

Perhaps, but I was calling it bullshit for the wrong reasons.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
You're more fun when you post Todd Howard memes :p
even he said leaving playstation was a good thing

"Pick a side' meaning… PlayStation? Is that what you mean? Well.. a little bit. You don’t ever want to leave people out, right? But at the end of the day, your ability to focus and say, this is the game I want to make, these are the platforms I want to make it on, and being able to really lean in on those is going to make for a better product.

By focusing on those platforms, you really get to lean in a lot on making it the best it can be for those systems. [...] And we’re big believers in all of the avenues that Xbox and Microsoft are doing to get games to more people. Whether that’s the integration with the PC, which is huge for us, the cloud streaming and all those things. So I think it’s about taking a long term view. And our belief that those things are really fundamentally good. So we see it actually opening up more and more and more so that people’s ability to play our games - via GamePass and other things - their ability to play our games doesn’t go down. It goes up dramatically.

And I can say I’m proud to be part of Xbox. I think it’s great for the community of gamers."

This hasn't been "glossed over". This isn't representative of "independent third party devs". It is 5 unknown devs and one with an extremely close relationship with Microsoft. If I had to guess I'd say most devs don't give a shit either way.
So basically it's 5 Microsoft devs and 1 with an extremely close relationship to Microsoft 😂

A letter from an anonymous sender is the same as no letter at all.

Unsurprisingly, you missed the point.
Unsurprisingly you failed to support your argument. If you think more people are harmed by this deal than helped I'd like to see the list. Multiple parties who do not currently have access to CoD will have it post deal. I can't think of any group even Sony losing access to this 'essential input' as regulators call it to the gaming industry.

NickFire

Unsurprisingly you failed to support your argument. If you think more people are harmed by this deal than helped I'd like to see the list. Multiple parties who do not currently have access to CoD will have it post deal. I can't think of any group even Sony losing access to this 'essential input' as regulators call it to the gaming industry.
Every COD players loses when the game's new base spec is Switch via Cloud.

Every single one. Xbox players included.

Helghan

How is it downplaying when you can't weigh the importance without knowing who the developers are, with the only one revealed basically their 2nd party style studio?

What is there to discuss? Anonymous shit? Okay,

Discuss. have at it. Let's get into detail of "studios that shall not be named."

You first, GO!
Wasn't this also the possibility for studios to be against it? Why didn't they step forward? 6 pro, versus 0 con is clear even if they are anonymous.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Is there a place we can make requests like that? Cuz I have this list....

Tell Me More To Do List GIF by Disney Channel
It was added when they were doing maintenence a few days ago.

As for the six. We know the CMA know the six and if they all have extremely close MS relationships, they'll be judged accordingly. Since we already saw one company named, it shows their statement should be viewed through the lens of the close relationship.

Someone hasn't read any of the CMA's documents. Random ass streaming company nobody has heard of is exactly who the CMA are concerned about in the cloud gaming space that it worries could be dominated by a small set of major players all protecting their own interests. The more less known the streaming company is, the more significant the deal and the more Microsoft absolutely shreds the CMA's SLC concerns.

Do try to keep up!

ulantan

You know there is a saying "put your enemy in delimmas not problems". I think sony and Microsoft want the same thing, to consolidate large portions of the industry. I think sony wanted to make a few moves earlier but the couldn't easily as they are the industry leader. So what do but wait, then all of sudden microsoft hands you a gift. The attempt to buy two of the biggest publishers back to back. What a golden opportunity to consolidate and also create a delimma for your rival. All you have to do is oppose them to regulators, and you get one of two outcomes either microsoft fails in its attempt and it hurts them publicly and internally. Or they get in front of regulators and the internet and scream from the heavens that the only way to compete is to buy big publishers. Watch as they cha cha real smooth infront the planet and attempt to redefine competition as acquiring giant publishers, and then they win they get activison. You are now free to buy what ever you want free from push back....

It just a theory. It's why I'm anti consolidation.

NickFire

Someone hasn't read any of the CMA's documents. Random ass streaming company nobody has heard of is exactly who the CMA are concerned about in the cloud gaming space that it worries could be dominated by a small set of major players all protecting their own interests. The more less known the streaming company is, the more significant the deal and the more Microsoft absolutely shreds the CMA's SLC concerns.

Do try to keep up!
Is your promoter tag an inside joke, or were you actually verified before you earned it?

But anyway, if I start a streaming company tonight and have no customers, would that make any deal with me the most significant one yet?

Is your promoter tag an inside joke, or were you actually verified before you earned it?

But anyway, if I start a streaming company tonight and have no customers, would that make any deal with me the most significant one yet?
The CMA was explicitly concerned about smaller cloud companies being denied access to the market because MS was dominant in the space. Why make fun of addressing the issue regulators claimed to concerned about?

Topher

Gold Member

Do try to keep up!

So reply on twitter.

go away GIF

NickFire

The CMA was explicitly concerned about smaller cloud companies being denied access to the market because MS was dominant in the space. Why make fun of addressing the issue regulators claimed to concerned about?
I didn't make fun of CMA's concerns. I asked you a question regarding a claim you made.

feynoob

Gold Member
What did MSFT did to you man?
Everything that MS is doing now, can be done by Activision.
Don't let the PR distract you from that fact.

Elios83

So if in 10 years these small companies grow because of these games and then become a nuisance for MS, what happens next?
Microsoft continues to give them access to the games? Isn't it in their power to make them collapse as they wish?
The problem with the CMA is that the 10 year deal is not an effective tool/remedy.

Topher

Gold Member
So if in 10 years these small companies grow because of these games and then become a nuisance for MS, what happens next?
Microsoft continues to give them access to the games? Isn't it in their power to make them collapse as they wish?
The problem with the CMA is that the 10 year deal is not an effective tool/remedy.

Embrace, extend, extinguish. That's the fear.

Last edited:

Pelta88

Do try to keep up!

You do realize that that's not my tweet, right?

Bernoulli

M2 slut
but the biggest point by the CMA is that playstation players will lose COD if it becames exclusive

doesn't matter if they sign other deal, they need to adress Cloud competitors but the biggest for the CMA is playstation

i doesn't make sense that microsoft is saying we are bringing COD to 150 Millions if they remove from the 130 Millions PS consoles

that's the biggest concern from the CMA

and why is everyhting limited to 10 years, so after everything becomes exclusives and regulators can do nothing about it

mansoor1980

Gold Member
but the biggest point by the CMA is that playstation players will lose COD if it becames exclusive

doesn't matter if they sign other deal, they need to adress Cloud competitors but the biggest for the CMA is playstation

i doesn't make sense that microsoft is saying we are bringing COD to 150 Millions if they remove from the 130 Millions PS consoles

and why is everyhting limited to 10 years, so after everything becomes exclusives and regulators can do nothing about it
pro tip............

microsoft is sick and tired of playstation winning

Thirty7ven

Banned

They are concerned about the now and the longer term. What about new entrants? Even Google can come back with another solution, there would be nothing surprising about that.

What’s the point in giving the biggest cloud gaming conpany, control of the future if you want to preserve competition?

These deals don’t change that, because MS will own these games forever. It’s also a fact that MS already has every means available to become the future of cloud gaming.

Last edited:

🧠 is not at play here. is all lawyering stuff

Fredrik

I think it's interesting this site is mostly anti-acquisition. But on resetera its the total opposite.

Idk what the implications of this is. But it makes me 🤔
More Sony fans here perhaps?
I’m for it anyhow, I have all platforms so I simply see me getting more games on Gamepass if the deal goes through, simple as that. I’ve loaded up on Sony stocks but I don’t care, it’ll be alright, they’ll keep dominating either way guaranteed. And MS owning ABK or not, those who only have a single platform will have a crappy future anyway as I see it, there will be far too many exclusives on all platforms going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom