• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Snl Okie Dokie GIF by Saturday Night Live
Ghostwire is a PS exclusive and doesn’t yet exist on Xbox.

Phil Spencer has said PlayStation will get the same version of COD that Xbox gets.
They can take advantage of Xbox exclusive features and greater power, and even still that doesn't stop things like exclusive xp boosts or skins with game pass perks, as well as the mere fact that cod will be on game pass day 1. I didn't mean gimp the playstation version like Sony accused, but there can easily be extra benefits of playing on Xbox vs playstation that will make the Xbox Cod experience better than the playstation one.

FBeeEye

Banned
God this company’s a cancer in every industry lol, they apparently have access to ChatGPT’s entire codebase as well. Don’t like where the industry’s headed in the long-term with their sub service strategy, it is what it is now unfortunately.

So you're upset that $1 billion doesn't come with some strings attached? I wasn't aware that Microsoft was a charitable foundation.

Topher

Gold Member
Every publisher has to sign a publishing agreement with every platform. They can't just make games and release them where they want. I can't make a Nintendo Switch game without an agreement from Nintendo.

So again, when Sony signs the agreement, they'll have COD on Playstation going forward. It's that simple.

We are not talking about standard agreements here. These are deals that were offered for the purposes of this acquisition. Yes, Sony and Microsoft will continue with the standard contracts used for any game on PlayStation. That isn't what is being discussed here though.

Elios83

Jim Ryan ain't signing any deal.

I wouldn't be sure about that.
If they believe the deal will go through and the only remedies being forced will be about the cloud market, if they don’t sign they only have to trust that Microsoft keeps their word forced by the backlash of having fooled regulators with fake promises.
I doubt they're going to risk that if they believe the deal is now done, they can't do anything to create an other u-turn and FTC poses little threat.
In any case if they move they'll do it in the next few weeks before the final ruling when it's certain that Microsoft can't backtrack on their words. So we'll get an answer about that quickly.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
They can take advantage of Xbox exclusive features and greater power, and even still that doesn't stop things like exclusive xp boosts or skins with game pass perks, as well as the mere fact that cod will be on game pass day 1. I didn't mean gimp the playstation version like Sony accused, but there can easily be extra benefits of playing on Xbox vs playstation that will make the Xbox Cod experience better than the playstation one.

Spencer was asked if that includes anything about exclusivity in regards to content and he said it does not.

"I sit here today with a great game that's come out in the last couple of weeks, Hogwarts Legacy. And yes, there is a quest that's available on PlayStation. It's not available on Xbox. And part of that - and I know this is part of the industry - that's not the game we're trying to play here either. It's not about a skin on a gun. It's not about a certain kind of mode of the game.

"The same version of the game will be available on all platforms, which is really what we do today. Like if you're a Minecraft player on PlayStation I don't think you feel like you have the lesser version of Minecraft or Minecraft Dungeons or [Minecraft] Legends, which is coming out when it ships."

quest

Not Banned from OT
As soon as the deal gets approved and announced, get ready for MS to do a giant post saying a ton of games are coming to GP. They did the same when Bethesda got green lit.

Cant wait for Diablo 4 and COD on GP. They'll come.
Won't be the current COD until Sony’s marketing deal runs out. Until then old versions on GP.

Kvally

Banned
Spencer was asked if that includes anything about exclusivity in regards to content and he said it does not.

"I sit here today with a great game that's come out in the last couple of weeks, Hogwarts Legacy. And yes, there is a quest that's available on PlayStation. It's not available on Xbox. And part of that - and I know this is part of the industry - that's not the game we're trying to play here either. It's not about a skin on a gun. It's not about a certain kind of mode of the game.

"The same version of the game will be available on all platforms, which is really what we do today. Like if you're a Minecraft player on PlayStation I don't think you feel like you have the lesser version of Minecraft or Minecraft Dungeons or [Minecraft] Legends, which is coming out when it ships."

[/URL]
I do believe they will retain parity for the versions. Feature, content, and release date parity. I am guessing MS will do what they can to push PC and XSX to max performance/pixels though for an edge. I am not a Game Pass gamer, so putting the game on Game Pass (or PS++) does nothing for me.

wolffy71

Banned
This is a new benchmark that will accelerate the consolidation. Things were never this bad.

ABK is already the biggest acquisition in the gaming industry. If this was blocked, consolidation would have slowed down. No company would think of buying a publisher Take Two because ABK got blocked. Now you can bet that someone will approach and buy Take Two sooner or later, because ABK won't be independent.
You can't realistically stop s company from selling especially one that needs to

Topher

Gold Member
I do believe they will retain parity for the versions. Feature, content, and release date parity. I am guessing MS will do what they can to push PC and XSX to max performance/pixels though for an edge. I am not a Game Pass gamer, so putting the game on Game Pass (or PS++) does nothing for me.

Yeah, I can see that. Obviously being first party they want to go the extra mile with their own hardware and use Xbox specific tech. Nothing wrong with that, imo.

Ozriel

M$FT
God this company’s a cancer in every industry lol, they apparently have access to ChatGPT’s entire codebase as well. Don’t like where the industry’s headed in the long-term with their sub service strategy, it is what it is now unfortunately.

Not sure if serious. They’ve invested $10 billion, own 49% stake in OpenAI and have worked with OpenAI for years to build out Copilot in GitHub + Bing Chat etc.

I was really getting at if someone keeps lying you'd tend to not believe anything they say. You don't pick and choose what to believe from a habitual liar.

There will be no PS6 native COD game, and the Free to Play Warzone game will be pushed for a few years near the end of this gen's life cycle so only Next gen COD is on Xbox.

The 10 year deal will be a few yearly releases with the last PS5 game until the year before NeXtbox releases. Push Warzone and wait out the clock until the 10 years is up.

If Sony signs the 10 year parity deal with Microsoft for COD, there’s no way you won’t see a PS6 native version of COD on PlayStation.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Will be interesting how this turns out 5, 10, or 15 years down the line. Frankly, I don't like where this could possibly end up going...
As long as MS feels there's money it, they'll leave Activision money makers on competing platforms. They never took away Minecraft.

Even stuff like MS Office, MS Teams and Skype are available on Mac. If there's money to be made, MS will grab it no matter which hand it comes from.

MS even did some kind of Azure deal with Sony. MS could had said screw off and go hire Amazon or HP for cloud servers. But the two companies agreed a couple years ago.

Last edited:

FBeeEye

Banned
Will be interesting how this turns out 5, 10, or 15 years down the line. Frankly, I don't like where this could possibly end up going...

Who is he talking about, Google? "AI" is just a marketing term. These are advanced search bots at best. So far all they can do is search Google or Bing more efficiently than you can.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
You can't realistically stop s company from selling especially one that needs to

Activision never needed to sell, nor do they currently need to. Their balance sheet is bulletproof.

Bobby just wanted a way out that involved him getting paid handsomely. Microsoft made it clear they wanted to make an offer, given his situation at the time he would have been a fool to not entertain it.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
If the buyout goes through, I think the base game will eventually hit gamepass but not by June 6th launch. I would love to be proven wrong and get refunded $100 bucks though. TBH I don't think MS has even charged D4 digital buyers for their preorders yet.

Diablo's General Manager Rod Ferguson:

"It's awesome seeing the excitement around the Diablo IV Beta, and our Wolf Pack puppy! We've been getting some questions about D4 on Game Pass and I want to let you know we have no plans for that. See you in Sanctuary during the Beta Early Access weekend starting on March 17."

https://www.gameinformer.com/2023/03/14/there-are-no-plans-for-diablo-4-on-game-pass
In other words, we as the current boss, would like you to buy the game and not wait for gamepass.

gothmog

Gold Member
Yeah, but these billion $ corporations don't need to sell their companies. They are financially self-sustainable and earn billions of dollars every year.

Smaller studios like HouseMarque and Ninja Theory ... makes sense. Take-Two and Activision, not really.
If these megacorps want to overpay then it makes sense that anyone is for sale.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Eh, I wouldn't count on that, to be honest.

They have used the same arguments as they did with Zenimax, i.e., making COD exclusive will not be financially viable. After a few years, they can decide that it's now financially viable (surprisingly!) so they are making it exclusive now.
Those years coinciding with the end of actual agreements between sony and AbK will be just a strange coincidence... (if no new deals aka 10 years... are made)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony made a stupid move with Bungie. With that money at that time they could had Capcom now. They will never recover 3bn with Bungie.
Supposedly the Bungle deal wasnt so much about Destiny or their next game. Bungie leadership is suppose to be able to call the shots and release multiplat games if they want. But more for their expertise on GAAS models Sony can use for their GAAS games under development.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom