• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kvally

Banned
If this thread wasn't 700+ pages of incessant shit posting, it sure would be fun to go through and read some of the desperate wishful thinking from a handful of thread regulars. The back pedaling is in full swing. Still waiting to hear from a select few.

Hopefully the deal gets finalized so we can all be done with this.
1500 pages by this September I would imagine!

splattered

Jim Ryan ain't signing any deal.

If he wants any sort of future marketing rights or perks for his console players, his dumb ass better sign a deal and make the best of this situation.

As you said above, i also said the initial findings were PROVISIONAL... and may change after further investigation and analysis.

Certain people kept stomping their feet stating that the "deal was dead" and "CMA said" ... sorry but the process was still in early stages and shouldn't have been used to argue and attack other members in this forum.

And as for everyone stating that this will set a bad precedent... remains to be seen :) but we shouldn't doom and gloom until that day comes, just enjoy your games wherever you happen to play them.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Activision has said explicitly they have had no interest in Game Pass. So Activision is blocking COD on GP before any deal does.
isnt Microsoft the big boss once the acquisition done? Imagine Phil coming into the meeting room with 10 elite guards and drag out the Acti CEO out of the room or something

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sony made a stupid move with Bungie. With that money at that time they could had Capcom now. They will never recover 3bn with Bungie.
Bungie is the better buy because Bungie are the only available FPS developer on the market who have huge pedigree.

Respawn and DICE are in EA’s grubby clutches. Microsoft own id Software, 343i and soon to be Activision and Blizzard.

They needed an FPS developer.

gothmog

Gold Member
Every publisher has to sign a publishing agreement with every platform. They can't just make games and release them where they want. I can't make a Nintendo Switch game without an agreement from Nintendo.

So again, when Sony signs the agreement, they'll have COD on Playstation going forward. It's that simple.
The current contract is for marketing rights, not the game itself. You can basically self publish on most of these platforms now. I'm sure there are agreements, but you don't necessarily need a contract to publish.

Topher

Gold Member
isnt Microsoft the big boss once the acquisition done? Imagine Phil coming into the meeting room with 10 elite guards and drag out the Acti CEO out of the room or something

Yes, but we are talking about Activision's stance on GP up until now.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Phil said COD is on PS for as long as PS exists. That is free money printing for MS. No doubt they want that printing right into their bank accounts.
I guess bethesda games sells like shit on PS so it was an easy and fast decision removing then 2 days later after the aquisition (future games announced until now)

Banjo64

cumsessed
MS right now: "Oh shit! Who the fuck said "COD will run locally on Switch?" Because now.... we actually have to do it!"
It’ll never come to pass.

We’ll see a cloud version of CoD for 2024’s release and then from 2025 we’ll see a 30fps version on the Switch 2.

Personally I’ll buy it as long as it’s a decent port. Overwatch 2 doesn’t do it for me and Alex runs like shit.

wolffy71

Banned
Activision never needed to sell, nor do they currently need to. Their balance sheet is bulletproof.

Bobby just wanted a way out that involved him getting paid handsomely. Microsoft made it clear they wanted to make an offer, given his situation at the time he would have been a fool to not entertain it.
Which is his right. The pressure to sell was yhe toxic shit going on there

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I can see Microsoft simply going ham on getting more third party titles day and date in Gamepass instead of acquiring more studios (in the near future anyway).
They totally will.

Activision makes about $2B profit. And with all Xbox store sales being 100% taken in, and MS's goal of reaching way more COD gamers with cloud, the profits will rise. I dont think the Switch stuff will make much money. I dont think COD on Wii and Wii U sold well at all. Any core COD gamers will play on Xbox, PS or PC, (and now mobile too).

Last edited:

FBeeEye

Banned
Did we go back in time a couple decades? Trying to understand how Microsoft is a ruthless corporate monopoly
Dude, did you use Netscape Navigator to post your comment?

Well, there's your answer. Internet Explorer is the number one browser in the world and everyone on the Internet is accessing it through a Windows PC.

In unrelated news, I just woke up from a 30 year coma. What's new?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Those years coinciding with the end of actual agreements between sony and AbK will be just a strange coincidence... (if no new deals aka 10 years... are made)
FYI - As per my understanding, Sony doesn't have to sign the 10-year deal. MS used this as part of their arguments, so they will have to abide by that even if Sony doesn't sign it.

Last edited:

zapper

if the cma drops the case and opens only behavioral remedies microsoft will have activision/blizzard/king.

on what will happen next i believe that more mega acquisitions will come, microsoft itself said that it will continue to acquire(i remember nadella said this), they could take take 2 or ubisoft, maybe a japan like sega if japan doesn't completely oppose. but it is unlikely to stop mega acquisitions that are much less impactful than activision on the market imho

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
So when will these games be released on Gamepass now?
Not long after the deal closes. Thankfully you can play all of them for:
uKuBunO.gif

wolffy71

Banned
Bungie is the better buy because Bungie are the only available FPS developer on the market who have huge pedigree.

Respawn and DICE are in EA’s grubby clutches. Microsoft own id Software, 343i and soon to be Activision and Blizzard.

They needed an FPS developer.
Bungie was the better buy by a country mile. They are absolutely top of the game in the fps genre.

NickFire

I can see Microsoft simply going ham on getting more third party titles day and date in Gamepass instead of acquiring more studios (in the near future anyway).
Anything is possible. But why wouldn't they have been doing that already if it was in the plans? They will certainly reap more profits if this deal closes, but the acquisition cost and development costs are pretty steep. My little brain would expect them to start pivoting towards return on investment mode pretty soon. There may still be a growth period cushion before they get there though, so anything is possible.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Sony should buy the rights to the Medal of Honor IP/Name and do a massive relaunch for it as a COD competitor.
Why would you even need to buy it. The IP is worthless. Its a war sim (lol) that is based on real events. Just use real events instead.

I'd rather Socom. I rebought a PS2 to replay them a few years back.

reksveks

FYI - As per my understanding, Sony doesn't have to sign the 10-year deal. MS used this as part of their arguments, so they will have to abide by that even if Sony doesn't sign it.
It will depend on if the regulators require it for the approval, I don't know actually if MS needs to offer remedies re the console market but EC might ask for it.

Sony made a stupid move with Bungie. With that money at that time they could had Capcom now. They will never recover 3bn with Bungie.
Buying companies is like buying an asset, they don't need to recover 3bn.

It's gamers. They think MS is just Xbox most of the time. They forget their vast size and strategic consolidations, unless they want to bring up the "war chest" ofc, but no, no no, "war chest" is not ruthless, maybe.
The gamers are the ones more likely to be anti Microsoft because they're deathly afraid of having to buy an Xbox. Microsoft doesn't have a monopoly in anything (being a massive company doesn't make you a monopoly) and basically all their ruthless behavior occurred in the 90s /early 00s, so I guess that only leaves corporate, which I guess by being a corporation they are by definition "corporate" , so there, you got me

wolffy71

Banned
It was his whining after someone gave valid answers. Don't complain when you ask the question allowing for answers you don't want.
The point was all MS games go to gamepass. They answered with games that don't exist on MS. So the point of it all is.... if it's on MS platform, it's on gamepass. Expect Diablo and all other Activision/Bethesda games on gamepass in the end.

Looks like Sony is gonna need to suck it up and sign a deal or not get CoD at all. It'd be hilarious if this passes and MS have full approval to never sell CoD on a PlayStation again. It'd suck for the players but I'd like to see Sony put in their place for being so stubborn and arrogant.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Looks like Sony is gonna need to suck it up and sign a deal or not get CoD at all. It'd be hilarious if this passes and MS have full approval to never sell CoD on a PlayStation again. It'd suck for the players but I'd like to see Sony put in their place for being so stubborn and arrogant.
If MS pulled CoD after the deal, the CMA would go back after them and stop it. It's in the CMAs own recent words about divestment.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
The point was all MS games go to gamepass. They answered with games that don't exist on MS. So the point of it all is.... if it's on MS platform, it's on gamepass. Expect Diablo and all other Activision/Bethesda games on gamepass in the end.
And I said if you willingly ask a poorly constructed question, don't throw the toys out of the pram when a correct answer you don't like comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom