• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

modiz

You guys need to stop using this as a reason why Sega failed. This is just embarrassing at this point.
Sega "failed" because of a lot of reasons but Sony going into gaming with deep pockets was definitely part of the reason.
Sony changed the gaming landscape by making deals left and right, by negotiating and outright buying stuff.
Sony was a behemoth in comparison to Sega and Nintendo and used their power wisely to success.

geary

Sega "failed" because of a lot of reasons but Sony going into gaming with deep pockets was definitely part of the reason.
Sony changed the gaming landscape by making deals left and right, by negotiating and outright buying stuff.
Sony was a behemoth in comparison to Sega and Nintendo and used their power wisely to success.
Sounds simillar with the current landscape

reksveks

No doubt it would require concessions if somebody kicks up a fuss but I have a hard time believing that stat about AAA. AAA are the only ones that can afford to maintain their own engines so Epic is probably moving slightly into AA territory when coming up with that. AA I'm more likely to believe and anything lower is more likely to be Unity and mobile.
Yeah, mixed up the stats. will fix the first post and yeah it is an additional distinction between AAA and next-gen console title even if there is an overlap.

"Among game developers, 48% of announced next-generation console titles are powered by Unreal," Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney said.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8543...sole-games-are-using-unreal-engine/index.html

Last edited:

Three

This is of course not the whole truth and you know that so we have to file this under trolling.
For anyone who likes to know what Three didn't tell you:
yhJ3N1U.jpg
Yeah in the EU they secured a 1 month timed exclusivity for Tomb raider 1. What people seem to fail to mention with Tomb Raider 2 "killing sega" too is that software sales on the Sega Saturn had tanked 60% and on hardware it was getting outsold 6x before core-design decided not to release on it. It wasn't the reason Sega didn’t sell consoles.

Last edited:

modiz

Yeah in the EU they secured a 1 month timed exclusivity for Tomb raider 1. What people seem to fail to mention with Tomb Raider 2 "killing sega" too is that software sales on the Sega Saturn had tanked 60% and on hardware it was getting outsold 6x before core-design decided not to release on it. It wasn't the reason Sega didn’t sell consoles.
It was an unnecessary move by Sony but they still did it. And Lara Croft exploded to mass media popularity back then. It certainly accelerated the death of the Saturn to a certain degree.

Last edited:

Three

It was an unnecessary move by Sony but they still did it. And Lara Croft exploded to mass media popularity. It certainly accelerated the death of the Saturn to a certain degree.
Have you ever thought that it exploded because PS did marketing with it and the PlayStation 1 was actually what was popular?

Last edited:

modiz

Have you ever thought that it exploded because PS did marketing with it and the PlayStation 1 was actually what was popular?
We will never know because it could be a consequence or a coincidence but that doesn't change the fact that Sony outright paid money for a game to not be released on a rival platform,a business practice they still do nowadays, to great success if we count their first deal from the 90's as a success. So part of their success is to actively harm competition by signing deals, since the very beginning of their PlayStation brand.

Last edited:

Three

We will never know because it could be a consequence or a coincidence but that doesn't change the fact that Sony outright paid money for a game to not be released on a rival platform,a business practice they still do nowadays, to great success if we count their first deal from the 90's as a success. So part of their success is to actively harm competition by signing deals, since the very beginning of their PlayStation brand.
But this isn't limited to just them especially when the example given has a prequel where Sega did the same.

modiz

But this isn't limited to just them especially when the example given has a prequel where Sega did the same.
It's of course not the same when you have a 4 weeks exclusivity in only one region instead of securing a deal where the other platform is left in the dust completely.

Three

It's of course not the same when you have a 4 weeks exclusivity in only one region instead of securing a deal where the other platform is left in the dust completely.
That's true but that's what the deal was for, they made it so Sega can use Tomb raider exclusivity as a selling point. The popularity of Playstation made ignoring it for longer bad business for the TR IP. The sequel not coming to Saturn and getting cancelled was only on Saturn's own failure as a product, it didn't cause it though IMO.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

they were paid not to release it not decided to release it

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Sega's downfall started before Sony entered the console market.

The blame goes to Sega of Japan. There's a well documented rift between the two sides because Sega of Japan refused to adapt with the latest technology. This caused the Sega Saturn to be an expensive console and it was a pain in the ass to develop for.

Don't forget that Sega of America wanted to make a console with Sony after the was rejected by Nintendo, but Seag of Japan declined because they didn't agree with the hardware specifications.

You can see how much Sega of Japan was to blame for their downfall and it has little to do with Sony buying exclusive rights to video games.

Three

I think we've gathered they did an exclusivity marketing agreement already. It was posted and that's what kicked off the discussion.

I'm saying the only reason the Saturn version was cancelled entirely and not some timed exclusive was because of Saturn already failing as a product by that time and not the deal causing it to fail. Edios did what was best for them and got marketing as the PS game to have. Edios even cancelled Saturn versions of Fighting Force and Ninja which didn't have any agreements with anyone. So arguably core design actually made out like a bandit and secured a partnership to get coverage and marketing as the big PS1 game knowing Saturn sales were going to be pretty poor regardless.

Last edited:

Yoboman

The reddit post is a summary of video made by a mergers and acquisitions legal lawyer who has made over 1k videos concerning legal topics in the video game industry. We're not jumping to "baseless wild conclusions"

There is nothing wild about it. The statements by both companies have been clear: Bungie will operate as a fully independent developer, Maintaining the ability to self-publish and reach players wherever they choose, and they will remain independent.

You're the one trying to argue that independent doesn't actually mean independent. There is no reason why they would announce not only Bungie's current project, but their next projects as multiplatform as well.
Your limited understanding had you going to a Reddit post about a YouTuber deciphering a PR statement. Hoeg is generally good but he jumps to a lot of conclusions like Sony must have given up rights as a parent company because Bungie use words like "creatively independent."

As I said, all independence means is they don't have managerial oversight and they get to self publish.

Hoeg is a bit laughable in that video when he is harping on about having never seen the words independent in a M&A press release. Guess he missed all the ones from Tencent, eg:

t7el982.jpg

Again, there's nothing different about this acquisition to a hundred others except Bungie wanted to manage their own publishing. Which makes them just like previous Sony developers like Sony Online Entertainment

And to reiterate my earlier point, I never said Sony is going to suddenly make them go exclusive. I have said if COD goes exclusive in 10 years then this is a conversation Sony and Bungie will have as a result of the changing market conditions. Or who knows, maybe Sony will have a different killer app FPS by then and none of it will matter

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Ms is buying studios and publishers to increase its first party portfolio to attract as much gsmers as it can to the xbox hardware and GP platform, and eventually will revamp its prices considerably to start making real money from it

OR

will bleed money forever and keep this cheap AAA game stream utopia they created ...

People really should stop beeing so naive and see the trojan horse by a mile .... but history is not meant to teach I think.. is meant to be repeated... mankind never learns

The part you’re careful not to mention is how many of these Microsoft studios are releasing multiplatform games.
Zenimax Online studios, Mojang, Treyarch, Sledgehammer, Infinity Ward and all those other COD support studios.

Exclusives also don’t only come from first party. This year alone, Sony has two AAA Final Fantasy titles, Forspoken, Stellar Blade and Silent Hill 2. All AAA exclusives from third parties.
Wow I didn't know Silent Hill 2 and Stellar Blade were exclusive. Sucks for Xbox players but at least with MS having 30+ studios now hopefully they can get more games out to match Sony's 3rd party deals.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Ms is buying studios and publishers to increase its first party portfolio to attract as much gsmers as it can to the xbox hardware and GP platform, and eventually will revamp its prices considerably to start making real money from it

OR

will bleed money forever and keep this cheap AAA game stream utopia they created ...

People really should stop beeing so naive and see the trojan horse by a mile .... but history is not meant to teach I think.. is meant to be repeated... mankind never learns
If GamePass prices increase in the future, it's still going to be relatively cheaper for me to to play the games I want to play. 3 x AAA games at full price is more expensive than GamePass for 1 year.

More games and more money for weed. Life sorted.

feynoob

Counter point: They bought Bethesda and then instantly declared all Bethesda games will be Xbox exclusive.

That isn't the action of a company that cares about recouping investments or making profits or seeing returns on acquisition costs.
Bethesda is a talent acquisition for gamepass, which needs constant content.
It's worth it for long term gamepass benefits.
Plus Bethesda gave them several IPs that have huge fan base.

Because they have to at this point. This leaves them with alot of uncertainty. Only COD is certain for the next 10 years. But what about every other optional Activision Blizzard game?

Apparently you think T2 has more purchasing power than Sony. If they can make a purchase of 13 billion, so can Sony.

Capom or Square are basically a given at this point. But Sony isn’t even the problem. Amazon has their own “Netflix” of gaming ambitions. Their CEOS get off from hearing the word subscription. They are going to interpret this as a greenlight.
Regulators were only concerned with COD and cloud gaming, Sony only pushed the COD angle heavily, they never really lobbied against say Spyro or Blizzard games being exclusive.

Yoboman

Sega themselves announced Saturn was a dead console in 1997: "Saturn's not our future". And Sega fans want to blame Sony that third parties abandoned a system that Sega themselves said was done?

Ozriel

M$FT
What I mean is that they want to see a profit. They wont their money without a return.
If what you said was true, then MS wouldnt have had Xbox one fiasco, as they could have spent alot of money trying to fix that mistake.

They ended COD contract because of lack of money from Xbox division. MS would have saved that contract if they cared about wasting money.

MS needs to recoup their investment back.

They only really need to maximize revenue from this acquisition. They certainly aren’t carrying this as a $70bn loss. They’ll have an asset worth $70bn.

Activision made $7.5bn in revenue last year. $1.5bn of that in profit. $2.7bn the year before. We can expect growth with Diablo 4 et al

modiz

That's true but that's what the deal was for, they made it so Sega can use Tomb raider exclusivity as a selling point. The popularity of Playstation made ignoring it for longer bad business for the TR IP. The sequel not coming to Saturn and getting cancelled was only on Saturn's own failure as a product, it didn't cause it though IMO.
So Sony signing a deal to not make a TR sequel on Saturn was because games started to not sell well on Saturn? What? That doesn't make sense at all.
No matter the market position for Saturn back then, Sony *paid money* so that Tomb Raider 2 did not release on Saturn. AT ALL. And Sega's deal was only in EU. If you think this is basically the same you could also say that MS buying ABK is the same as Sony buying Bungie.

modiz

Sega themselves announced Saturn was a dead console in 1997: "Saturn's not our future". And Sega fans want to blame Sony that third parties abandoned a system that Sega themselves said was done?

One thing is abandoning a console from third party, another thing is paying so games don't release on a competitor's console.
Why did Sony pay *at all* if games would not come to Saturn anyway?
Sony established a business practice for them in the 90's and continued to do so until today.

Last edited:
Umm. Yes they can. It can be quantified as an "investment". Xbox throughout its history has incurred massive losses.
We don't have the numbers to say how far MS can reasonably go losing out on PS COD money but the CMA now does. Xbox has been losing money for a long time but remember that is exactly why Satya wanted to sell Xbox during the Xbox One days. Despite being able to afford funding Xbox for ages Satya saw Xbox as dead weight and a bad investment. The only reason Satya didn't sell it was because Phil convinced him on how Xbox could become part of MS' subscription & services grand strategy. Satya gave Phil a shot & opened the vault to help Xbox win the content battle, that is how we got Obsidian, Team Ninja etc. and later Bethesda and ABK.

MS feels it can reach 3 billion consumers if they play their cards right and for that they need accessibility (phones, cloud etc) and content.

Goalus

So you're saying that Sony's one year timed exclusives of Ghostwire and Deathloop are way less damaging than MS buying Bethesda to cancel PS5 versions in development
So you're saying that the MS ABK merger could be the start of the Sony downfall and that should have been stopped. Thanks for clearing it up. I wholeheartedly agree with your conclusions. The merger should not have passed.
Are you related to this woman:

Your posting style has a similar vibe.

Last edited:

Yoboman

One thing is abandoning a console from third party, another thing is paying so games don't release on a competitor's console.
Why did Sony pay *at all* if games would not come to Saturn anyway?
Sony established a business practice for them in the 90's and continued to do so until today.
I mean are you really going to be mad 25 years later after Sega tried it first on the first game?

Tomb Raider became a defacto mascot for PlayStation, it's no surprise they cosied up after it was a big hit for PlayStation and the devs

Rykan

Your limited understanding had you going to a Reddit post about a YouTuber deciphering a PR statement. Hoeg is generally good but he jumps to a lot of conclusions like Sony must have given up rights as a parent company because Bungie use words like "creatively independent."
He is a merger and acquisition lawyer. This is literally his field. You claim he's "jumping to conclusions", which is funny because that is actually exactly what you've been doing all this time. Your whole argument that the Bungie acquisition was without any terms or conditions is nothing more than assumption.
As I said, all independence means is they don't have managerial oversight and they get to self publish.
"Bungie will continue to operate independently, maintaining the ability to self-publish and reach players wherever they choose to play." If you're independently operating and independently self publishing, then Sony has no say in it. That's the very definition of independent.
Hoeg is a bit laughable in that video when he is harping on about having never seen the words independent in a M&A press release. Guess he missed all the ones from Tencent, eg:
You're blatantly misrepresenting what he's said. Here is what he's actually said:
"I don't know if I've ever seen a purchase that says, after we're done buying you, you get to operate independently and maintain your own, unilateral ability, to self-publish your content and decide what markets you are selling into."
Which is not what the press release in your example says at all, as it only describes independent operation.
Again, there's nothing different about this acquisition to a hundred others except Bungie wanted to manage their own publishing. Which makes them just like previous Sony developers like Sony Online Entertainment
I have no idea why you keep insisting as if it's completely normal for an acquisition for a platform holder will remain full creative, operation and publishing independence, all while announcing it as a fully multiplatform studio. Because it isn't.
And to reiterate my earlier point, I never said Sony is going to suddenly make them go exclusive. I have said if COD goes exclusive in 10 years then this is a conversation Sony and Bungie will have as a result of the changing market conditions. Or who knows, maybe Sony will have a different killer app FPS by then and none of it will matter
Yes, Sony can alter that arrangement if there is no contract preventing that, but considering Bungies history and the very clear wording used in press releases and announcement from both Sony and Bungie, it is more than reasonable to assume that there probably is a contract that specifically says that Bungie gets to decide what to develop and what to develop for.

I'm just repeating myself now, so this will be my last post on the topic.

Last edited:

Three

So Sony signing a deal to not make a TR sequel on Saturn was because games started to not sell well on Saturn? What? That doesn't make sense at all.
Why doesn’t it make sense? Edios cancelled all Saturn games even ones it didn't have any exclusivity contracts on. They had to give up very little because they knew that it wouldn't sell there anyway because the Saturn had failed. They made out like a bandit.

Look at it from the perspective that Edios signed a deal to have Tomb Raider marketing being pushed as the PS1 game to own and in exchange gave exclusivity which cost them nothing. The wierd thing is that I doubt Sony asked for this in their agreement because of Sega Saturn. If you look at the press release from core design they bang on about CDROM. Meaning they were more likely being used to push marketing against the cartridges of the N64, the Saturn had CDROM support. The sega fans just make it about Sega because they want somebody to blame.

No matter the market position for Saturn back then, Sony *paid money* so that Tomb Raider 2 did not release on Saturn. AT ALL. And Sega's deal was only in EU. If you think this is basically the same you could also say that MS buying ABK is the same as Sony buying Bungie.
I'm not saying it's the same. I'm saying the "AT ALL" only happened because Sega Saturn had failed and it didn't make sense for Edios to release there later. That fact was on Saturns failure. It was already dead in sales of hardware and software.

Last edited:

Yoboman

We don't have the numbers to say how far MS can reasonably go losing out on PS COD money but the CMA now does. Xbox has been losing money for a long time but remember that is exactly why Satya wanted to sell Xbox during the Xbox One days. Despite being able to afford funding Xbox for ages Satya saw Xbox as dead weight and a bad investment. The only reason Satya didn't sell it was because Phil convinced him on how Xbox could become part of MS' subscription & services grand strategy. Satya gave Phil a shot & opened the vault to help Xbox win the content battle, that is how we got Obsidian, Team Ninja etc. and later Bethesda and ABK.

MS feels it can reach 3 billion consumers if they play their cards right and for that they need accessibility (phones, cloud etc) and content.
Xbox didn't get Team Ninja. It got Team Donte

Has anyone answered this? Maybe I'm just very stupid but how does buying a publisher create more competition when we know good and well that they're going to push 99% of their products as exclusive?
You can get a factual answer by reading the CMAs report. You'll come to notice that regulatory bodies are very nuanced in their evidence gathering and decision making. Much more so than the average gamer.

..if this means an independent Blizzard who use to say "it will be done when it is done" then maybe this is a blessing in disguise and we finally get a WarCraft 4. :D
If even MS gets us a WarCraft 4 that will do.
Played the Diablo 4 beta on PS5 this weekend, the game felt so unpolished and janky compared to older blizz games. I think they may be rushing this game out the door a few monthsntoo early.

All acquisitions "go to the regulators".

Sony buying Capcom or Square would be a wet fart in comparison to Activision. It'd go through without any issues whatsoever. Take 2, same deal, especially now that MS has Activision and Bethesda
Nintendo would challenge such acquisitions and unlike MS Sony doesn't have the we're the biggest loser of the console makers argument.

Ozriel

M$FT

OR

I have never seen the sense in pitching “they are going to increase the prices” as a Gotcha.

People pay for value. Nobody’s going to riot if has a dramatic increase in content for an incremental price increase.

The more value MS adds to Gamepass, the easier it is to justify a price increase.

Three

The shade he throws at Sony for having too many games but not making tons of money for corporate and having discounts is mind blowing. Why would you do that in a consumer magazine? It's almost like he's promoting the competition in that page.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom