• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boxed sales.

Per the last sentence in that tweet, Xbox is actually far more digital.

The software sales are never anywhere near as different as people think once that is taken into account.

The UK boxed charts are always such a distraction from the overall big picture lol

How much is far more digital? I want numbers and examples from other games if you can.

Yoboman

Boxed sales.

Per the last sentence in that tweet, Xbox is actually far more digital.

The software sales are never anywhere near as different as people think once that is taken into account.

The UK boxed charts are always such a distraction from the overall big picture lol
Xbox is 70-80% digital, PS5 is 50-60%. Digital isn't making a big difference here with those ratios

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Xbox is 70-80% digital, PS5 is 50-60%. Digital isn't making a big difference here with those ratios
And Playstation has more than double the devices in the wild.

The numbers are generally close to that, was my point.

Xbox players who don't exist can't "show up" to buy something lol

Those that do exist, seem to be buying software at similar rates as Playstation gamers.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

How much is far more digital? I want numbers and examples from other games if you can.
Here's an Example w/ Elden Ring:

For Xbox, 85% of the game’s sales were digital, trumping the 73% of digital sales on PC. On PS5 and PS4, just over half of Elden Ring‘s sales were digital.

In general if you look at software sales you'll see games, even Japanese ones, sell about 1.5:1 to 2:1 as far as PS:Xbox goes.

And there are more like 2.5:1 PS devices to Xbox devices.

Playstation is trouncing Xbox but Xbox gamers are still buying games at similar or better rates.

IntentionalPun

OK I looked closer, yeah those Xbox numbers are really bad for that particular game lol

I read those numbers differently first time around for some reason maybe I mixed up PS4 w/ Xbox.

The UK boxed charts are always going to look really off though.. it's happened time and time again.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
OK I looked closer, yeah those Xbox numbers are really bad for that particular game lol

I read those numbers differently first time around for some reason maybe I mixed up PS4 w/ Xbox.

Eh, shit happens. If you really look into how FF has faired on PS versus Xbox over the years, you'll see a pattern. It's not hard at that point to see why SE is so willing to get into deals that exclude Xbox for that franchise. When even in markets with solid competition between the two, PlayStation probably accounts for 75 to 90% of console version sales.

I think it will boost GP subs a fair bit. What's your prediction?
I have three scenarios:

1. Starfield falls outside of the top three (in NPD numbers), but the number of new GP subscribers grows substantially
(the expected outcome)

2.Starfield is in the top three, and GP subscribers has an amazing growth as well.
(the best outcome).

3.Starfield falls outside of the top three, and the growth of GP subscribers is not as significant
(a less desirable outcome)

Handel

Eh, shit happens. If you really look into how FF has faired on PS versus Xbox over the years, you'll see a pattern. It's not hard at that point to see why SE is so willing to get into deals that exclude Xbox for that franchise. When even in markets with solid competition between the two, PlayStation probably accounts for 75 to 90% of console version sales.
What FFs have even been on Xbox to grow the brand on the platform? The first FF that Xbox ever received is XIII, widely considered one of the worst entries in the franchise, and the next after that they get is the mixed reception half finished XV. Crisis Core is not a mainline game, has a 78 MC, and most importantly is a companion piece to a game that's remake is still not on Xbox. PS has a dedicated fanbase for the franchise because it got entries when the franchise was at the top of the gaming landscape, Xbox got it while it was in the trash heap. Failure to build an audience on Xbox is the fault of SE for delivering bad products to the audience on that platform.

Last edited:

GHG

Biden please help, investigate the Japanese, I'm drowning.

kid-panic.gif

Varteras

Gold Member
What FFs have even been on Xbox to grow the brand on the platform? The first FF that Xbox ever received is XIII, widely considered one of the worst entries in the franchise, and the next after that they get is the mixed reception half finished XV. Crisis Core is not a mainline game, has a 78 MC, and most importantly is a companion piece to a game that's remake is still not on Xbox. PS has a dedicated fanbase for the franchise because it had entries when the franchise was at the top of the gaming landscape, Xbox got it while it was in the trash heap. Failure to build an audience on Xbox is the fault of SE for delivering bad products to the audience on that platform.

The games being bad or good is subjective. The fact remains that since FF was on Xbox, PS sales have dominated. Even the "bad" FF games sold far higher on PS. FF14 didn't go on Xbox because Microsoft refused to allow cross-play at the time. Years later they wanted to renegotiate but it was too late. Too much work would need to be done for what SE likely saw as not worth the effort. You can complain about the timing all you want but the reality remains. SE doesn't owe Xbox or its gamers anything. They're going to do whatever makes the most business sense at the time. Not worry about maybe giving them another chance to buy their games and possibly waste time and money doing it. Maybe down the road they'll give it another shot but that time is clearly not now.

Three

I have three scenarios:

1. Starfield falls outside of the top three (in NPD numbers), but the number of new GP subscribers grows substantially
(the expected outcome)

2.Starfield is in the top three, and GP subscribers has an amazing growth as well.
(the best outcome).

3.Starfield falls outside of the top three, and the growth of GP subscribers is not as significant
(a less desirable outcome)
I think it will be the first maybe even the second. They had a record GP milestone late last year and no big games to show for it. With Starfield i think the boost will be substantial.

Last edited:

Three

What FFs have even been on Xbox to grow the brand on the platform? The first FF that Xbox ever received is XIII, widely considered one of the worst entries in the franchise, and the next after that they get is the mixed reception half finished XV. Crisis Core is not a mainline game, has a 78 MC, and most importantly is a companion piece to a game that's remake is still not on Xbox. PS has a dedicated fanbase for the franchise because it got entries when the franchise was at the top of the gaming landscape, Xbox got it while it was in the trash heap. Failure to build an audience on Xbox is the fault of SE for delivering bad products to the audience on that platform.
You know that's bullshit right?

PS3/360 gen they had XIII and XV, the only reason it didn't get XIV was because of MS own dumb server policy. Had 2 gens getting mainline FF.

Last edited:

Poltz

Final Fantasy 7 is on Xbox. FF7R is a sequel to that game. Final Fantasy XI launched on the Xbox 360.

Last edited:
I think it will be the first maybe even the second. They had a record GP milestone late last year and no big games to show for it. With Starfield i think the boost will be substantial.
that is why I think is goign to be such an important release. I can see the three scenarios being at play.

Handel

You know that's bullshit right?

PS3 gen had XIII and XV, the only reason it didn't get XIV was because of MS own dumb server policy. Had 2 gens getting mainline FF.
Did you read the first sentence of my post, then type your reply without reading the rest? I mention both XIII and XV being on Xbox, the issue being that XIII is a trash game regarded as among the worst in the franchise, and XV was an incomplete mess for years that never even received all the content it was supposed to in the end. Mainline FF during it's Sony exclusive days was peak gaming, but the franchise has gone to shit since the HD era with the one well received game(FFVIIR) skipping Xbox. Feed people only shit and wonder why they aren't clamoring for more.

Handel

The games being bad or good is subjective. The fact remains that since FF was on Xbox, PS sales have dominated. Even the "bad" FF games sold far higher on PS. FF14 didn't go on Xbox because Microsoft refused to allow cross-play at the time. Years later they wanted to renegotiate but it was too late. Too much work would need to be done for what SE likely saw as not worth the effort. You can complain about the timing all you want but the reality remains. SE doesn't owe Xbox or its gamers anything. They're going to do whatever makes the most business sense at the time. Not worry about maybe giving them another chance to buy their games and possibly waste time and money doing it. Maybe down the road they'll give it another shot but that time is clearly not now.
FFVII(PS1) : 92MC
FFVIII : 90MC
FFIX : 94MC
FFX : 92MC
FFXII : 92MC

FFXIII : 83MC
FFXV: 81MC

Critical and fan reception are very much in favor of the earlier games, it's silly to act as if perceived quality is irrelevant.

Poltz

Critical and fan reception are very much in favor of the earlier games, it's silly to act as if perceived quality is irrelevant.
Are you trying to say 81 and 83 MC are not good games?

Handel

Are you trying to say 81 and 83 MC are not good games?
For a franchise like FF it's a mixed reception to be that low, and fan perception of those two games is definitely lower than the critical one. They're also clearly in a lower tier than prior entries, so when Xbox players get a taste of the franchise wondering what the hype was about, disappointment is soon to follow.

Varteras

Gold Member

I'll say it again. SE doesn't owe Xbox or its gamers anything and they will do whatever makes the most business sense at the time. Complain at Microsoft for FF14, one of the best FFs, for not bein on Xbox. Even among the bad games, PS sales dominated and Xbox gamers would have been plenty aware of FF by that point so that excuse doesn't fly. The franchise has been around for ages. Go write a strongly worded letter to SE. You'll get the same result as complaining about it on these forums. It doesn't matter whose fault it is that FF games didn't sell. They didn't and now we're here. No amount of what-ifs or shoulda-dones will change that. You're just screaming into the wind.

Poltz

For a franchise like FF it's a mixed reception to be that low, and fan perception of those two games is definitely lower than the critical one. They're also clearly in a lower tier than prior entries, so when Xbox players get a taste of the franchise wondering what the hype was about, disappointment is soon to follow.

Poltz

Don't think a late port of an MMO entry onto a console that had never received a mainline entry is a good method of growing a fanbase on a platform, but that's just me.
What console do you think Xbox gamers had before the Xbox launched?

Handel

I'll say it again. SE doesn't owe Xbox or its gamers anything and they will do whatever makes the most business sense at the time. Complain at Microsoft for FF14, one of the best FFs, for not bein on Xbox. Even among the bad games, PS sales dominated and Xbox gamers would have been plenty aware of FF by that point so that excuse doesn't fly. The franchise has been around for ages. Go write a strongly worded letter to SE. You'll get the same result as complaining about it on these forums. It doesn't matter whose fault it is that FF games didn't sell. They didn't and now we're here. No amount of what-ifs or shoulda-dones will change that. You're just screaming into the wind.
To the bolded, never said it did? Just that SE only has itself to blame for not growing the audience on Xbox, and it's burned that bridge basically entirely by withholding the first great new FF to release since Xbox has been getting any of the releases(FFVIIR). SE can make w/e business decisions it likes, but like Atlus they regularly have squirrels for brains in such matters. Being "aware" of FF by that point is irrelevant, because the only games they received themselves were subpar compared to what made people dedicated fans of the series on PS consoles that will continue buying new games in hopes of the series returning to it's former greatness.

Three

Did you read the first sentence of my post, then type your reply without reading the rest? I mention both XIII and XV being on Xbox, the issue being that XIII is a trash game regarded as among the worst in the franchise, and XV was an incomplete mess for years that never even received all the content it was supposed to in the end. Mainline FF during it's Sony exclusive days was peak gaming, but the franchise has gone to shit since the HD era with the one well received game(FFVIIR) skipping Xbox. Feed people only shit and wonder why they aren't clamoring for more.
FFVII: Crisis Core wasn't shit though and it's like a prequel to FFVII:Remake. Sold like crap on xbox.

I read it but you're dismissing 2 games that spanned 2 generations of mainline releases. If FFXIII (83MC) and FFXV (81MC) were shit with nobody buying the only mainline FF releases for 2 gens the franchise would have been in trouble, but people still bought those so called shit games on PS, didn’t on xbox. It has nothing to do with how shit or good the games were. The audience on xbox was just not interested in the type of game. You can argue that the franchise didn't start on xbox so a fanbase wasn’t built but neither was COD or ME on Playstation at the beginning but they built the franchise and genre audience. The audience on xbox is far less interested in the FF franchise and xbox didn't do much to build it there because it didn't care. They could have greenlit remakes, funded exclusive content like they did CoD or Fallout and built the franchise audience on the console. They didn't care at all at the time, they only care now in this complaint trying to appear like they are a victim in these massive acquisitions nobody else can afford.

Last edited:

Handel

What console do you think Xbox gamers had before the Xbox launched?
That would depend on how old they are, and when they got into gaming as a hobby. Older gamers might have owned a PS console before Xbox ever existed, but a good portion will have started with an Xbox console. I don't find it to be likely that more than a small percentage of primarily Xbox gamers nowadays are people who switched from PS1/PS2 to Xbox and then stuck with it over switching to say PS4 last gen.

Varteras

Gold Member
To the bolded, never said it did? Just that SE only has itself to blame for not growing the audience on Xbox, and it's burned that bridge basically entirely by withholding the first great new FF to release since Xbox has been getting any of the releases(FFVIIR). SE can make w/e business decisions it likes, but like Atlus they regularly have squirrels for brains in such matters. Being "aware" of FF by that point is irrelevant, because the only games they received themselves were subpar compared to what made people dedicated fans of the series on PS consoles that will continue buying new games in hopes of the series returning to it's former greatness.

You're full of shit. You're acting like Xbox fans exist in a vacuum. Xbox sold about 25 million consoles. 360 sold about 85 million. Considering PlayStation lost a shit load of market share with the PS3 (155 million vs 87 million) where the fuck do you think a huge portion of those 60 million new Xbox players came from when the brand was only 4 years old by the time 360 launched?

feynoob

Banned
when you are ignoring a console, the fans of that console will generally skip your game, since you dont have that much audience to your stupid practices.

Square is killing their audience witht these timed exclusives.

Poltz

That would depend on how old they are, and when they got into gaming as a hobby. Older gamers might have owned a PS console before Xbox ever existed, but a good portion will have started with an Xbox console. I don't find it to be likely that more than a small percentage of primarily Xbox gamers nowadays are people who switched from PS1/PS2 to Xbox and then stuck with it over switching to say PS4 last gen.
When Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX and X launched Xbox did not exist. So this point is mute. Square cant put games on a console that doesn’t exist.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member

This entire argument is a catch-22. Without more high-profile games coming to Xbox, they can't get more active users and increased console sales. Without more active users and console sales some high-profile game studios/publishers (such as Square Enix) won't see a point in putting their games on Xbox. I see both sides of the argument being made. The sucky part is that Microsoft did this to themselves after the Xbox 360 era. The suckier part is that Microsoft is using their failure to justify this major acquisition and buy the largest third-party publisher in the world.

In my opinion, it would have been better for Microsoft to make their own exclusivity agreements for high-profile games, even if it would cost them more than Sony would have to pay for the same agreement. This is (still in my opinion) still fair because the only reason they are in this situation is due to their own mistakes, not because Sony isn't playing nice. Microsoft had the advantage in the Xbox 360 era, and they squandered what they had. Instead of having to pay for this mistake (literally, via higher-priced exclusivity agreements), they're just buying the largest third-party publisher in the world to "balance the scales". Microsoft could have simply paid more for the exclusivity deals for 5-8 years. Get the best games for that amount of time, and then you will get the users you're looking for without having to resort to major acquisitions like this. Then you can go toe-to-toe with Sony again.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
when you are ignoring a console, the fans of that console will generally skip your game, since you dont have that much audience to your stupid practices.

Square is killing their audience witht these timed exclusives.

I like you bud, but that's bullshit. SE started releasing FF on 360 as soon as they could, continued on XBO, and FF still didn't sell well on Xbox. They didn't start "skipping" Xbox until they saw the low sales over the course of two generations and Microsoft initially refusing to work with them on FF14. So they decided to make other business moves. They know they have a big fanbase on PlayStation so as long as they're getting what they want, they don't care.

feynoob

Banned
I like you bud, but that's bullshit. SE started releasing FF on 360 as soon as they could, continued on XBO, and FF still didn't sell well on Xbox. They didn't start "skipping" Xbox until they saw the low sales over the course of two generations and Microsoft initially refusing to work with them on FF14. So they decided to make other business moves. They know they have a big fanbase on PlayStation so as long as they're getting what they want, they don't care.
Its a joke man.
That qoute is from twitter users who were angry about square practices.

Square mostly cares about their hometown japan sales first. not UK or global. And xbox is weak there.

Three

There are at least 5 other FF games with a lower or equal score. I think you're clutching at straws as to why those didn't sell on xbox. If a game is bad it wouldn't sell as well on either platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom