• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Sony have flipped haven't they?

MarkMe2525

The timing of this thread is hilarious given Sony literally just released a brand new IP to critical acclaim in Ghost of Tsushima.

The dude's barely been in office for a year, and we're already at character assassination.
A little harsh to consider my perspective of the man as character assassination... little over the top. But my viewpoint is not unfounded, I've listened to probably every public comment he's made about the PS5 and frankly I never feel like he's talking to me as a gamer. He seems like he's talking to me strictly as a man who wants me to buy his product. I get it, that's his job. He has never given me the impression in any of his comments that he himself is an avid gamer which may not matter, I don't know, but I still don't like it. I do think that it is important that man supposedly steering the ship of a gaming company understands the true wants and desires of the community. But I could be totally off base.

P.s. forgot to mention that was the vibe I got from the MS executives back in the early 2010's. I honestly used to think major Nelson was a shill, but that guy's on my Xbox friends list and the dude is always playing.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
Sea of Thieves is a commitment to new IP but Ghost of Tsushima isn't. Horzon 2 is milking a franchise but another Halo sequel is a bold risk. Xbox fans should prepare themselves for likelihood that half these unknown games in development never see the light of day, and the remaning half turn out just as compelling as Quantum Break and Crackdown 3.

Enjoy your $700 console.

vivftp

36 to 23.

Four of the top five highest profile PS5 exclusives are the most milk toast games on the planet. No creative risk. No balls.

tenor.gif

Sony is peddling Doo-wop when Jimmy Hendrix and Cream are on their way.

Yawn, now you're just getting boring. Before you were just tedious and irritating. Either you're outright trolling or you have a lot of growing up to do. Either way, not worth my time anymore.

Good day.

Last edited:

TheGrat1

_suek6.gif

Sony IP's like Spider-Man, Horizon and Demon's Souls are "long in the tooth" but Halo, Forza and Fable are not? What will you say when the 8th Forza game (not including the Horizons) in 16 years launches within a year of the 8th Gran Turismo game (including Sport) in 24 years? How is Spider-Man Miles Morales "hurried" when 2 years is a typical dev cycle for a large studio?
Also, I guess Returnal and Destruction AllStars do not exist, then.

In reference to Halo "reboot":
Again, this is in context of the next generation.
But Halo Infinite started development during this generation and is launching on Xbox One sooo...🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

oldergamer

I see you drank the entire pitcher of koolaid Shill Spenser gave you. Best of luck with that. Potential doesn't equal a product. Sony is proven in this regard and MS is not. Teams and potential and most uber powerful box in the world yadda yadda. Eat it up. I'm not.
My point still stands. Here are some facts. sony have milked franchises dry in the past just like MS. Sony have always attempted more output with each console compared to xbox in the past. Just because sony put out a lot of games, doesn't mean they are all good. I'd classify a handful as true AAA games with some being unique with much lower sales numbers.

MS has never (in 20 years) had this many studios making first party titles. Their studios in the past never had more than one team (exception was Rare). Outside of the 360 days where the first two years were very diverse, MS has not lived up to expectations. However they have turned a new leaf and are about to show the games. perhaps wait and see what they have before crying that they haven't changes.

If that is drinking kool aid, well i think this gen mine is going to taste better than yours.

Sony made the blockbuster new IPs and now they get to enjoy the fruits of their labor with the sequels. Microsoft is basically behind and hasn't made those blockbuster new IPs yet.

Dlacy13g

It has been interesting to watch these 2 companies basically flip flopping their positions over the past couple of generations... will we see another flip flop this gen? We shall see... But what I truly hope is we see both on their A game at the same time for once.

At the beginning of last gen I was coming off the 360 and there was no way I wasn't getting an Xbox One.
Then Microsoft screwed up, their console was less about games and more about diversifying their revenue stream .. on the other side Sony was out there countering every one of Microsoft's mistakes and they made it all about the players. Skip to the end.. I never purchased XBOX this entire gen.

Here we are full circle again and I was fully expecting to have two PS5 Preorders in by now.

Microsoft has put out an impressive system , we will see if they bring the games in two days. But if they do it changes things. That combined with possibility ending GOLD as a multiplayer requirement turns everything on its head.

As for the PS5, I 'll reserve final judgement when they do the breakdown but while Sony has shown the games but I do not feel the electricity that was here before , Sony has become faceless there is no one out there selling this thing.

I am still looking at sticking with Sony this gen but from someone who has said in the past that I will never own another Microsoft console.... I am considering it.

BlackTron

perhaps wait and see what they have before crying that they haven't changes.

Perhaps wait and see what they have before insisting that they have changed.

The potential that you speak of is very nice and all, but why are you championing a changed MS based on their mere potential to do so?

Hell, even if the games WERE announced, many would still be hesitant to judge them, before trying them. But here, we don't even speculate on announced games, we speculate on the games before we already know what they are, AND take those assumptions to compare against the competition!

It's a joke.

Peebs

Neo Member
So I was thinking to myself "Self, you're a reasonable person. You know the industry about as well as anyone not working in it can. How did that thread backfire so much? Is it possible that you're out of touch? Or no, maybe it's just the children who are out of touch". In order to reach some kind of satisfying conclusion to my quandary, I knew what I had to do.

I had to go full nerd.

So I compiled a list of the 12 highest profile "exclusives" from each publisher and tried to assign a point score based on how creatively risky /ambitious each project was. A 5/5 would be Sony supporting Media Molecule and Dreams for 7 years. A 0/5 would be EA publishing Madden 21 on a yearly basis. A 3/5 might be Sony publishing Ghost of Tsushima due to it being a new IP (+) but also being very derivative (-).

I tried to list each publishers games in order from most AAA (at the top) to least AAA (bottom).

Halo Infinite v Horizon FB: 4 - 4
Fable v Ratchet and Clank RA: 4 - 1
Forza 8 v GT7: 1 - 1
Perfect Dark v Spider Man M: 4 - 1
Hellblade II v Demons Souls R: 3 - 0
EverWild v Deathloop: 4 - 2
Obsidian AAA RPG v Uncharted 5: 4 - 1
InXile AAA RPG v Project Athia:. 3 - 3
Paychnaughts v Destruction AS:. 3 - 3
The Medium v Keena BoS:. 2 - 2
Scorn v Godfall: 3 - 3
Flight Sim v Returnal: 2 - 3

Total Score: 36 - 23

Merriam's Webster dictionary defines vindication as "Proof that someone or something is right, reasonable, or justified."

As I look off into the heavenly sunset with a warm cup of Ginsing tea in hand, know that I'll be sleeping soundly tonight, as I do every night when good forces evil to submit.

EverlastingUnacceptableAztecant-size_restricted.gif
So in a desperate attempt to ‘save’ your hot take, you come up with arbitrary point system that you scored based on your own biases then call it a day - this is comedy gold! Love it!

yodine53

I'm pissed that the logic in this industry is:
Create new IP --> Do a sequel.

If you created a great new IP then a sequel is "understandable". But if your new IP is poorly received or doesn't bring anything new, then WHY ARE YOU DOING A SEQUEL?

Kerotan

A little harsh to consider my perspective of the man as character assassination... little over the top. But my viewpoint is not unfounded, I've listened to probably every public comment he's made about the PS5 and frankly I never feel like he's talking to me as a gamer. He seems like he's talking to me strictly as a man who wants me to buy his product. I get it, that's his job. He has never given me the impression in any of his comments that he himself is an avid gamer which may not matter, I don't know, but I still don't like it. I do think that it is important that man supposedly steering the ship of a gaming company understands the true wants and desires of the community. But I could be totally off base.

P.s. forgot to mention that was the vibe I got from the MS executives back in the early 2010's. I honestly used to think major Nelson was a shill, but that guy's on my Xbox friends list and the dude is always playing.
These guys are not your friends. After Sony embarrassed them in 2013 they've been on a PR crusade to redeem their image. Stop being fooled by this first class PR campaign. Look at that trash showing from xbox today then look at the reality of games Sony are releasing. One is next gen gaming the other is next gen PR.

I would actually hate the Sony execs if the gaming forums and sites I visit were plastered with sound bites from them on a daily basis. And that's with them delivering. Then you have the big mouth piece Phil with his media love in not delivering like Sony are. He'd piss me off if I was an xbox fan.

MarkMe2525

These guys are not your friends. After Sony embarrassed them in 2013 they've been on a PR crusade to redeem their image. Stop being fooled by this first class PR campaign. Look at that trash showing from xbox today then look at the reality of games Sony are releasing. One is next gen gaming the other is next gen PR.

I would actually hate the Sony execs if the gaming forums and sites I visit were plastered with sound bites from them on a daily basis. And that's with them delivering. Then you have the big mouth piece Phil with his media love in not delivering like Sony are. He'd piss me off if I was an xbox fan.
Nice rant.... I'm not sure of how my description of how I perceive Jim Ryan has anything to do with what you are saying.

Texas Pride

Banned
My point still stands. Here are some facts. sony have milked franchises dry in the past just like MS. Sony have always attempted more output with each console compared to xbox in the past. Just because sony put out a lot of games, doesn't mean they are all good. I'd classify a handful as true AAA games with some being unique with much lower sales numbers.

MS has never (in 20 years) had this many studios making first party titles. Their studios in the past never had more than one team (exception was Rare). Outside of the 360 days where the first two years were very diverse, MS has not lived up to expectations. However they have turned a new leaf and are about to show the games. perhaps wait and see what they have before crying that they haven't changes.

If that is drinking kool aid, well i think this gen mine is going to taste better than yours.

You like talk I guess and I like results. I don't believe MS truly understands gaming or what people really want. In my opinion they've always been one foot in and one out. Buying studios doesn't disprove this because if anything the optics of doing that alone even if they don't produce get suckers like you to buy into another generation sight unseen on promises. You can say what you want about Sony but you can't question they're fully invested in gaming as a core part of their company. They're invested in the results. MS isn't.

Valentino

All I see is Phil quotes everyday about how he's doing the opposite to PS, or he's not trying to win anything - all while throwing in the low key shade about Sony (Like he's in a position too :messenger_tears_of_joy:) .......................... Sony is doing Sony. You'll get a new IP -it will be succesful - it will become a franchise - it will turn out game after game - you'll complain there's no new IP's - so on and so forth. The only thing I know of Microsoft "well known" or "icon" games are Halo, Gears, Fable, and a car racing game. Oh and Sea of Thieves. But what is that game? A multiplayer game? Nothing from Microsoft gets discusses as much as Sony games. People still talking about Spider Man, God of War, Uncharted, Last of us threads are polarizing. And then on the side I just see the names Halo, and Gears having the odd thread. Maybe Ori Will of the Wisp. Please hold before thinking Microsoft has anything note worthy of discussing

Top Bottom