• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Sony have flipped haven't they?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
OP’s been acting erratic ever since he saw Halo was turning into a free-to-play game yesterday.

Lots of people warned this would be the cost of GamePass but everyone just laughed it off.
Wait.....what!?
giphy.gif

vinnler

Neo Member
I am going out of my way to make my first post on this forum just to say that OPs post is ridiculous. Thank you.

I agree.

MS and the XBox brand have been a trainwreck this gen. Sony producing Death Stranding was brilliant. Same with Dreams. I'll even give them (lesser) credit for funding Ghost of Tsushima because it's a new IP.

But I'm framing this in relation to the next generation. The first two years it seems like the majority of Sony's first party studios will release relatively safe franchise games. Microsoft looks to be doing the opposite.

I can't be the only one seeing this?

I think it’s because Microsoft has to come up with new franchises, ideas and content because of their lackluster performance this generation. Sony’s method is tried and true and still dominating the industry, so they probably feel like why change it if it’s working and most consumers seem happy. Sure, Microsoft procured a bunch of new studios, but the verdict is out whether they can create great games or not. A good past doesn’t always necessarily translate into a good future. Hello Rare......

Another thing is Sony will give a new franchise a chance to shine and probably still allow a larger budget than Microsoft will for new IP’s. I don’t think Microsoft would of put a huge budget into something like Horizon Zero Dawn, VR, Knack 2, FF7: Remake, Ratchet and Clank or Ghost of Tsushima without knowing they will make a A LOT of money off of it? There is a reason why many good Xbox IP’s are now dead and will never get sequels. Hopefully, that will change though with the XSX.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

There is no expectation of surprise from sony, and that automatically makes XB more interesting. Really weird saying that.

They have kinda switched, yeah.
I think it’s because Microsoft has to come up with new franchises, ideas and content because of their lackluster performance this generation. Sony’s method is tried and true and still dominating the industry, so they probably feel like why change it if it’s working and most consumers seem happy. Sure, Microsoft procured a bunch of new studios, but the verdict is out whether they can create great games or not. A good past doesn’t always necessarily translate into a good future. Hello Rare......

Another thing is Sony will give a new franchise a chance to shine and probably still allow a larger budget than Microsoft will for new IP’s. I don’t think Microsoft would of put a huge budget into something like Horizon Zero Dawn, VR, Knack 2, FF7: Remake, Ratchet and Clank or Ghost of Tsushima without knowing they will make a A LOT of money off of it? There is a reason why many good Xbox IP’s are now dead and will never get sequels. Hopefully, that will change though with the XSX.

MS aren’t in the business anymore of selling full priced retail AAA, they dont need to make ‘alot of money’ on first party. They wont be pushing graphics or budget in most of their games. This is good because the AA games will have to compete based on gameplay and interesting ideas in order to keep gamepass exciting. I am looking forward to the 24th after sony’s ‘more of the same’ outing.

Last edited:
There is no expectation of surprise from sony, and that automatically makes XB more interesting. Really weird saying that.

They have kinda switched, yeah.

MS aren’t in the business anymore of selling full priced retail AAA, they dont need to make ‘alot of money’ on first party. They wont be pushing graphics or budget in most of their games. This is good because the AA games will have to compete based on gameplay and interesting ideas in order to keep gamepass exciting. I am looking forward to the 24th after sony’s ‘more of the same’ outing.
Yeah no thanks. If we can expect more AA games like Bleeding Edge and Grounded from Microsoft I'm going to pass. I don't want first-party games to just be game pass filler crap. I want big budget titles from them.

I don't see that at all. I was hoping Microsoft would bring it next gen, but when they said exclusives won't be coming for 2 years after release they lost me,. I need to see new 1st and 3rd person story driven games, if that doesn't happen I won't purchase it.

Texas Pride

Banned
we will see.

Without Sony taking chances and giving creative freedom you dont get TLOU OR HZD or Uncharted or a myriad other IP's. MS has and will continue to milk proven IP because they don't have the conviction to take those chances. Are there exceptions sure but they've had that strategy and call me crazy but I won't believe they've truly shifted that strategy until I see it. And you shouldn't either. If you fear failing more than you want to succeed you'll always be too scared to take that chance that may just change the game for you.

Last edited:

Peebs

Neo Member
This is such a weird take, almost willfully blind to what’s going on. The PS5 reveal was carefully curated to not announce everything they have before MS does a couple of big events. Making assessments in the middle of both companies executing their marketing strategies is underserving the argument you’re trying to make. Both companies haven’t showed all their cards yet - best to wait until we have more info then make your case. Otherwise, your take is nothing more than ‘wild speculation’ vs a well-informed perspective.

EDIT: I should have explained better. I meant to frame this conversation in the context of the next gen. I agree with people who say Sony supported interesting games through the duration of the PS4s life.
Not only did Sony keep offering great content on the PS4, MS has not delivered amazing content on their Xbox consoles for over 10 years now, at least by any reasonable definition.

MS is all about blowing hot air.

bitbydeath

Are you joking? I seriously haven't heard anything like that happening.

What you need to know
  • Halo Infinite is the next big entry in the Halo franchise.
  • Speaking with Polygon, Phil Spencer hinted that Halo Infinite will be something of an ongoing platform.
  • Per Windows Central's sources, the multiplayer may be entirely free-to-play.
  • Halo Infinite is currently set to launch alongside the Xbox Series X in Holiday 2020.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So I was thinking to myself "Self, you're a reasonable person. You know the industry about as well as anyone not working in it can. How did that thread backfire so much? Is it possible that you're out of touch? Or no, maybe it's just the children who are out of touch". In order to reach some kind of satisfying conclusion to my quandary, I knew what I had to do.

I had to go full nerd.

So I compiled a list of the 12 highest profile "exclusives" from each publisher and tried to assign a point score based on how creatively risky /ambitious each project was. A 5/5 would be Sony supporting Media Molecule and Dreams for 7 years. A 0/5 would be EA publishing Madden 21 on a yearly basis. A 3/5 might be Sony publishing Ghost of Tsushima due to it being a new IP (+) but also being very derivative (-).

I tried to list each publishers games in order from most AAA (at the top) to least AAA (bottom).

Halo Infinite v Horizon FB: 4 - 4
Fable v Ratchet and Clank RA: 4 - 1
Forza 8 v GT7: 1 - 1
Perfect Dark v Spider Man M: 4 - 1
Hellblade II v Demons Souls R: 3 - 0
EverWild v Deathloop: 4 - 2
Obsidian AAA RPG v Uncharted 5: 4 - 1
InXile AAA RPG v Project Athia:. 3 - 3
Paychnaughts v Destruction AS:. 3 - 3
The Medium v Keena BoS:. 2 - 2
Scorn v Godfall: 3 - 3
Flight Sim v Returnal: 2 - 3

Total Score: 36 - 23

Merriam's Webster dictionary defines vindication as "Proof that someone or something is right, reasonable, or justified."

As I look off into the heavenly sunset with a warm cup of Ginsing tea in hand, know that I'll be sleeping soundly tonight, as I do every night when good forces evil to submit.

EverlastingUnacceptableAztecant-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

bitbydeath

That's different then the whole game being FTP. It's like if Naughty Dog sold the Last of Us 2 and then released the multiplayer as a FTP mode. Not the same thing as making the whole game FTP.

Single player looks to be up in the air since it’ll be tied to an ongoing platform. Maybe they’ll drop expansion packs instead of the traditional sequels. Either way it’s to squeeze money out of people since they can’t afford to just give the franchise away on Gamepass.

So I was thinking to myself "Self, you're a reasonable person. You know the industry about as well as anyone not working in it can. How did that thread backfire so much? Is it possible that you're out of touch? Or no, maybe it's just the children who are out of touch". In order to reach some kind of satisfying conclusion to my quandary, I knew what I had to do.

I had to go full nerd.

So I compiled a list of the 12 highest profile "exclusives" from each publisher and tried to assign a point score based on how creatively risky /ambitious each project was. A 5/5 would be Sony supporting Media Molecule and Dreams for 7 years. A 0/5 would be EA publishing Madden 21 on a yearly basis. A 3/5 might be Sony publishing Ghost of Tsushima due to it being a new IP (+) but also being very derivative (-).

I tried to list each publishers games in order from most AAA (at the top) to least AAA (bottom).

Merriam's Webster dictionary defines vindication as "Proof that someone or something is right, reasonable, or justified."

As I look off into the heavenly sunset with a warm cup of Ginsing tea in hand, know that I'll be sleeping soundly tonight, as I do every night when good forces evil to submit.

What the actual fuck.

Single player looks to be up in the air since it’ll be tied to an ongoing platform. Maybe they’ll drop expansion packs instead of the traditional sequels. Either way it’s to squeeze money out of people since they can’t afford to just give the franchise away on Gamepass.

I don't think they will make the game episodic. Probably a planned release of content for the game after release like you said.

I had to go full nerd.

It keeps getting worse guys.

Dude is straight up trolling or has some sort of mental disorder.

This "factual" list exists as FACT in his brain so therefore it is just and accurate.

Let's move on and close this joke of a thread.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I had to go full nerd.

The Medium is not a first party game, and where the fuck did Uncharted 5 come from? Did I miss an announcement?
Scorn and Godfall can get off the list too. And Kena.
They aren't risky or ambitious of Sony/MS if they are from a completely different studio/not first party.

List is weird. Nice of you to give your unbiased rankings, appreciated.
Is this some weird troll thread?

Jubenhimer

The competition is a lot more fair this time. With the PS4, Sony had the benefit of Microsoft going in with a completely backwards strategy. All Sony had to do, was make a decent console, say "We're not Microsoft" and they were given the win, practically on a silver plater. This gen, Sony is going to be facing a much stiffer battle, and from the looks of it, they're not going to get too complacent.

The Medium is not a first party game, and where the fuck did Uncharted 5 come from? Did I miss an announcement?
Scorn and Godfall can get off the list too. And Kena.
They aren't risky or ambitious of Sony/MS if they are from a completely different studio/not first party.

List is weird. Nice of you to give your unbiased rankings, appreciated.
Is this some weird troll thread?
giphy.gif

I'm not sure if it's a troll thread but I do agree that it's very weird.

oldergamer

Without Sony taking chances and giving creative freedom you dont get TLOU OR HZD or Uncharted or a myriad other IP's. MS has and will continue to milk proven IP because they don't have the conviction to take those chances. Are there exceptions sure but they've had that strategy and call me crazy but I won't believe they've truly shifted that strategy until I see it. And you shouldn't either. If you fear failing more than you want to succeed you'll always be too scared to take that chance that may just change the game for you.
uh huh. Stop living in the past man. MS says they no longer are forcing a game on studios, and asked them to build out additional teams to work on more game then once. They flat out said, go an create and here's money to do it. we're too days away from seeing some of the new games and you're here preaching the past? The past is over and done with. Move forward. move on to some of other thing to complain about.

You're also giving praise to sony despite the fact they have a few games they milked in the past. How many wipeouts are there? how man GT games are there? how many god of wars? who cares! All that matters is what they are doing now, not what they did in the past.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

I had to go full nerd.

🤣 This won't age well

Aion002

I had to go full nerd.

It was funny... But...

tenor.gif

:messenger_winking_tongue:

Yoboman

I had to go full nerd.

You:

VjkhsRs.gif

anothertech

How anyone could post this in 2020 is beyond me

MS will have to prove your point on Thursday or there is literally nothing on the table

Texas Pride

Banned
uh huh. Stop living in the past man. MS says they no longer are forcing a game on studios, and asked them to build out additional teams to work on more game then once. They flat out said, go an create and here's money to do it. we're too days away from seeing some of the new games and you're here preaching the past? The past is over and done with. Move forward. move on to some of other thing to complain about.

You're also giving praise to sony despite the fact they have a few games they milked in the past. How many wipeouts are there? how man GT games are there? how many god of wars? who cares! All that matters is what they are doing now, not what they did in the past.

I see you drank the entire pitcher of koolaid Shill Spenser gave you. Best of luck with that. Potential doesn't equal a product. Sony is proven in this regard and MS is not. Teams and potential and most uber powerful box in the world yadda yadda. Eat it up. I'm not.

vivftp

I had to go full nerd.

You're an embarrassment to nerds everywhere with this dribble. Quit while you're behind.

An insurmountable pile of evidence has been dumped on your head that Sony has been heavily investing in new IP and continues to do so, you don't care. You act as though new IP is inherently superior to sequels, it is not. A good game is a good game, whether it's a new IP or a sequel. You want to shoehorn this baffling argument of yours into a very narrow box of only the next gen titles we've heard about so far (hint, there's still more to come with the rumored a state of play in August) and ignore all the investment Sony has made in New IP in just the past 2 years. Then you go moving goalposts to this skewed rating system you pulled from your arse and declare victory

Just give it up.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
This thread will be fun to go over in 48 hours...

Has anyone ever been vindicated twice? On the exact same topic?
The thing is this. No one is saying Xbox won't have new IPs

But we all know PlayStation will have new IPs too, they always do

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You're an embarrassment to nerds everywhere with this dribble. Quit while you're behind.

An insurmountable pile of evidence has been dumped on your head that Sony has been heavily investing in new IP and continues to do so, you don't care. You act as though new IP is inherently superior to sequels, it is not. A good game is a good game, whether it's a new IP or a sequel. You want to shoehorn this baffling argument of yours into a very narrow box of only the next gen titles we've heard about so far (hint, there's still more to come with the rumored a state of play in August) and ignore all the investment Sony has made in New IP in just the past 2 years. Then you go moving goalposts to this skewed rating system you pulled from your arse and declare victory

Just give it up.

36 to 23.

Four of the top five highest profile PS5 exclusives are the most milk toast games on the planet. No creative risk. No balls.

tenor.gif

Sony is peddling Doo-wop when Jimmy Hendrix and Cream are on their way.

Top Bottom