• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Sony have flipped haven't they?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Your thread is either concern trolling or extreme overthinking.

I would call it severe underthinking. It's his third in two days.

f15da6a9-ab8b-4b49-b7b9-29f8e03a4641_text.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
EDIT: I should have explained better. I meant to frame this conversation in the context of the next gen. I agree with people who say Sony supported interesting games at the end of the PS4s life.
Not really. your argument still doesnt hold water.

Spiderman Miles - It's the FIRST sequel to a new IP made by a Sony studio. Yes, i get that its not technically a new IP but it was made from the ground up by Insomniac and was effectively a new AAA game.
Horizon Forbidden West - It's also the FIRST sequel to a new IP made by a Sony studio.
Demon Souls - It's a reboot of a game made 11 years ago. I dont know why you give MS props for rebooting Halo after just 5 years, but 11 years for demon souls is too much?

I will say that it was disappointing we didn't get to see new IPs, but seeing as how Sony has literally just released a new IP this week, your argument simply doesnt make much sense. Just in the last 14 months, we have gotten GoT, Dreams, Death Stranding and Days Gone. MS has released fuck all during this period when it comes to new IPs. They might be saving their load for next gen, but that doesnt mean anyone has switched places. It just means Sony delivered this gen and will continue these NEW IPs next gen.

If GG had made any game other than Horizon 2 i wouldve been upset. same goes for insomniac with Spiderman. these games need next gen sequels. same goes for death stranding, days gone and ghost of tshushima.

MS and Sony havent flipped at all.

sobaka770

Banned
I could see it in next gen but not for a long time.

Yes, Playstation now has several franchises like Uncharted, Horizon, Spiderman and Ratched and Clank. All those games came out, were huge successes and deserve their sequels.
However that doesn't mean that Sony studios will no longer create new games. We do not know what's next for Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, MM, Sony Japan etc.

Microsoft still has 4 main franchises: GoW, Halo and Forza as well as Fable. Guess what people expect from 23d? Halo footage, Forza and Fable 4 rumors... Microsoft did buy a lot of devs but their track record is very unproven so in a way, yes, Microsoft will have to launch more new IPs, however it doesn't mean it will be as successful as Sony in doing so, not that if they can milk a successful franchise they won't do it.

I think early in the gen, we will see more new things from Microsofts' new studios, however it is not certain that Sony will continue to only milk its franchises, history shows they have a good track record of making new IP as well.

LordCBH

I feel like this has been my "Welcome to NeoGAF" moment.

When proposing a rather innocuous idea leads to a crazy amount of mud flinging. This is truly the land of misfit toys and I thank you for welcoming me in this extremely peculiar way.

This has been my baptism!!

MtZ9N.gif

I mean, you came at people with a highly illogical take and then complained when people called it out.

User: points out that trends don’t support the argument
You: “but those trends don’t count.”

This generation sony introduced days gone, Horizon, death stranding, ghost of Tsushima, the last gardian and they announced Returnal. I am sure I missed some other new IPs.

Close the thread

Jtibh

Banned
Ok .....

Compare ps4 reveal games to ps5 reveal games plus the fact that they area still havning another show soon with more ps5 games.

And in sony i trust as always.
This gen we had horizon a new refreshed god of war spiderman.......and two of my favorites bloodborne and days gone.

Nah if anything microsoft will do the same old by coming in strong in the forst year and dropping the ball after that and only resort to sequels and third party exclusives.

Sony not once let me down and i know for a fact they will bring new ips as always.

Azurro

Banned
For the 10th time, I agree that Sony funded creative projects during the PS4 generation.
I'm talking strictly from the perspective of next gen.

Perhaps I'm just hyper sensative to franchise games...

Well, your point is that the only games that count are the ones in your strict definition of new experiences. A criteria that doesn't apply to MS, of course.

Let's look at your argument. Sony has a lot of franchises as well as launched quite a few new IPs during this generation. Do you want them NOT to use them? Especially when they are extremely well received IPs (Gran Turismo and Ratchet) or a sequel to a literally new IP (Horizon) or a much awaited remake of a beloved IP (Demon's Souls)?

Please tell me the extremely ambitious MS titles that MS is producing? A reboot of Halo? A sequel to a relatively basic action game (Hellblade)? A remaster of Gears 5? Oh, look at that, franchises. How awful.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I believe that both have changed direction from where they started and I do fear about the next generation consoles. Sony has become more restrictive with the kinds of games they develop for first parties - yes these games are still (mostly) great and enjoyable, but they lack the variety that previous generations had. They have also become far more censor happy and have actively worked to piss off longtime game devs for the platform, to the point where they are jumping ship (Kenichiro Takaki) or mocking Sony by releasing worse versions of the game/outright telling people to pick it up on other platforms instead (Omega Lab Life, Aokana, etc).

Microsoft on the other hand started this gen with regressive and restrictive policies and a lack of quality titles with some of the worst entries in respective franchises (IMO), but have since released some quality games, picked up numerous new developers with promise, and have become much more consumer friendly. However, I still don't know if these studios will produce quality products for the new system, nor do I like the idea of having every game playable across both generations.

I feel both are on equal playing fields come next generation, but I am weary on the directions they are headed and if the changes they made will be positive or negative.

NahaNago

No because we get a gt every gen, the spiderman and horizon are the second-ish games in that series, and dark souls is a remake. Plus we just got ghost of tsushima just recently. This current gen we got new ips of days gone, horizon, and ghost of tsushima and Microsoft got sea of thieves.

Hawk269

Not really. MS was on a high coming through the 360 gen and they thought they could do no wrong as they planned out the Xbox One and they made some really bad decisions/assumptions where things were going. Much like Sony as they came off an incredible PS2 era then going into PS3 thinking they could do no wrong.

What we are seeing like what we saw with Sony and the PS3 is them working their way out of a horrible start and building up devs and games as Sony entered the PS4 era. MS just had their asses handed to them and they had to rethink on how they do things which they have under Phil's leadership.

I don't think they have flipped...I think more that they both had gone through a tough time and reacted and retooled to be better at what they do. What it looks like we are getting is 2 of the 3 main players hitting a stride going into the next gen, which can only be fantastic for gamers. Sony seems to be focusing on what made the PS4 great and continuing that and MS/Xbox getting their shit together and heading into the next gen pretty strong as well.

vivftp

1. OP admits Sony studios and partners have been pumping out a lot of new IP over the past couple of years with Spider-Man (new to Sony as an exclusive, at least), Days Gone, Death Stranding, Concrete Genie, Dreams, Ghost of Tsushima, Astro Bot, Blood and Truth and Iron Man VR (same deal with Spider-Man). That's 9 brand new IP's in less than 2 years and I'm sure there's probably some I'm forgetting.

2. OP says to disregard that and just look over there at the PS5! It's full of sequels!!!

3. OP ignores new PlayStation IP like Destruction All-Stars and Returnal that were shown just a month ago.

OP, are you expecting Sony studios to make a new successful game and immediately drop the IP and make entirely new IP for their next project each and every time? You're going to see a mix of existing and new IP from Sony, as has always been the case with them. If one of those IP turns out to be successful and they decide it warrants a sequel then we'll see sequels appear after a while. The fact that PlayStation has so many powerhouse sequels waiting in the wings is a testament to their quality and also their willingness to invest in new IP that gamers have fallen in love with so much that they warrant a sequel. It's incredibly odd to me to chastise them for reaping the fruits of those investments by putting out SOME sequels while still chugging along and creating new IP all at the same time.

If you want to compare it to Xbox, well Microsoft has recently acquired a ton of new studios so a lot of them will probably be putting out new projects that will be new IP for that platform simply because they weren't an exclusive part of that platform until recently. This might be part of what's skewing your perception.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Somewhere during the second half of the XBox 360 generation a lot of people soured on the XBox brand.
Not me. I was fine with them until the always online crap starting brewing.

Doesn't it feel that Sony is now the home of "safe established franchises" and Microsoft is letting their developers do new, creative stuff? Am I crazy or have these two juggernauts completely swapped over the last 5-10 years?
Nope. You can't even really make this assessment accurately yet based on currently available information.

Bkdk

Certainly flipped for me. Flight, wasteland 3, obsidian aaa rpg and AOE4 are on list for my most anticipated games. Though I really wish they will cancel ninja theory, they are terrible beyond imagination and a waste of money, just a bad acquisition and should cut their losses there.

Sony finally managed to have a good Exclusive with ghost of Tsushima that I had fun for about 25 hours. Though flight and AOE4 will likely be the games that I’ll play at least 200+ hours combined. Hopefully with robust mod support as well.

I’m never a guy that actually like creativity that much, death stranding and journey bores me to hell. Really dislike them. I certainly like games with some fundamental elements like violence, attractive characters, sex, harem story routes, big open world, cool gear and offering different story paths and game led by player choices.

Last edited:
For the (literally) 8th time.

I'm talking in terms of the next gen. Sony performed great this gen. Microsoft just went through a 6 year stretch of the darkest time in the history of XBox.

So if Sony had a great gen this gen (which they did) all while with hardly any competition what's makes you think they won't be even better next gen when they have better competition? ,
That's what I see happening things will just keep getting better for both company's because competition is a good thing we had some great games on the ps3 when Sony had competition aswell.

Kerotan

Absolutely no. Sony are still releasing classics like TLOU2 or FF7R from SE. But even this year they had dreams with will be on VR soon and Ghost of Tsushima.

Last gen everybody soured on xbox in it's final years. This gen Sony is blowing us away.

DeaDPo0L84

I mean, you're entitled to your opinion but facts would say no. What exactly have Microsoft done that was a risk? They attempted to force kinect on people and it failed so they abandoned it. If anything they have played it as safe as possible the last couple of years. Playstation gave us Death Stranding which is totally bizarre, they stuck with their vision for VR which was a huge risk, we got a new ip this year in Ghost of Tsushima, also I wouldn't say Dreams was a safe bet or non risk at all.

I feel like you're seeing what you want to see but none of it is based in reality. Microsoft will be taking risk moving forward because they HAVE TO. The usual suspects are no longer pumping in cash like before so they need to throw some hail marys and see what works. But as of this exact moment you're far off base.

Last edited:
PS5 was clearly designed with VR in mind. You know Sony is going to drop that hard once they're ready to show. They just need to get AAA to support it this time around. Probably their own studios first. Sony is taking a bigger risk than most people here expect. It's going to be expensive and cutting edge.

JCK75

Sort of I suppose.. I'd not mind seeing endless existing franchise games if they put new life into them, and also don't go the route they went with TLOU2.

LordOfChaos

How do we know they rebooted Halo? It's the next installment after Guardians, the 6th mainline Halo title and more overall. How is that what a reboot means?

I'd kinda like Rare to use their existing IP!

1200px-Banjo_%26_Kazooie_SSBU.png

MS hasnt shown anything. Sony havent shown everything. How did you reached that conclusion?

PS4 gen had a lot of new ips. I dont think this gen will be any different.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Yeah on top of all that OP!

Sony had the balls to promote, promise us a pristine new VR experience and all we got were 24 bit never seen-before HQ pixels and a useless, broken fish A.I with wonky elite v1 and v2 inputs.

And in that shallow Kratos game, we only could play as him for like 3 missions out of 15. Deceiving bastards! They even fired everyone at Wixer without prior notice, damn you Sony!

Gives us some VR! And new games, new ips already! Stop cancelling games, stop focussing so much on GaaS and stop adding so many microtransactions!

Why you no can be like Meyekrosofto? :messenger_beaming:

Domo Arigato Herr Spenzer

bender

What time is it?
We should really wait to see if Microsoft's development acquisitions bare fruit. While I've grown less and less enamored with the majority of Sony's tent pole releases, their output still interests me more than Microsoft (apologies to Forza Horizon and Fight Sim).

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
No flipping. Both companies are evolving to meet the needs of a rapidly changing market.

MSFT stumbled with the end of the 360/One launch.

SNE also stumbled with the PS3 launch.

I don't think you can necessarily judge the current strategy based on prior leadership - Ryan and Spencer each have their own approach and both have inherited very different situations. Spencer's Xbox is not Mattrick's nor is Ryan's PlayStation the same as House's. Interestingly enough both are positioning themselves similarly with focus on platform as a service but are moving at slightly different paces with different competitive advantages.

Somewhere during the second half of the XBox 360 generation a lot of people soured on the XBox brand. MS became known for pumping out Halo, Gears, Forza, and Fable. They created two large studios and "locked" them to franchises that had become long in the tooth (The Coalition and 343). PlayStation became known as the company that got out of the way of it's developers. A lot of gamers appreciated that direction from Sony.

Fast forward to June 11th. Sony reveals their PS5 by showcasing...the 9th Ratchet and Clank game, the 8th Gran Turismo game, a Demons Souls remake, a hurried Spider Man sequel, and a Horizon sequel (not hurried, thank God). There's poorly kept secrets that a new God of War is underway as well as another Uncharted studio in San Diego. It seems the bulk of Sony's first party developers are now tasked with creating sequels.

Microsoft on the other hand has completely rebooted Halo, given The Coalition the green light on a new IP, funded Rare to make new IP in Sea of Thieves and EverWild. They created a studio in The Initiative to create "new and innovative game experiences". They're letting Playground make a well rested Fable game. InXile and Obsidian are making new AAA RPGs. They're the home of Tim Schaefer who embodies creativity.

Now before anyone says "But MS is still making X franchise and Sony is making new franchises over here..." while true, that's missing my point.

Doesn't it feel that Sony is now the home of "safe established franchises" and Microsoft is letting their developers do new, creative stuff? Am I crazy or have these two juggernauts completely swapped over the last 5-10 years?

EDIT: I should have explained better. I meant to frame this conversation in the context of the next gen. I agree with people who say Sony supported interesting games at the end of the PS4s life.
Are you serious? Sony has put out tons of new IP this generation just as they always have. Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, Concrete Genie, Dreams, Days Gone, Horizon: Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian, Astro Bot, Blood & Truth, and on and on. I'm sure Naughty Dog will move on to another New IP now that TLOU2 is finished.

Microsoft isn't going to stop with Halo, Gears, and Forza. Out of those 3 the one that really needs to go away is Gears. Gears 4 and 5 have not been great and you've seen that with just how the talk around them died immediately. Gears 5 came out on Game Pass and yet the player base dropped off fast. Now they just bought a ton of studios so of course you are going to see a lot of new stuff from them going forward but to act like Sony is the home of "safe established franchises" is just absurd.

Top Bottom