• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Backward Compatability Policy is the Best, Sony and Nintendo Should Do the Same: Axiom Verge 2 Dev

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No one is saying that you are saying it's a bad thing. But it's clear to anyone reading your posts that you are trying to downplay the feature...
I had to check Psykodad's history. Pure Sony fan.

No wonder he's downplaying BC. If Sony announced PS5 would have full BC with PS1-PS4, I'm sure he would be happy as a clam and boasting he can now play his old PS1-PS2 discs in PS5, and PS3-PS4 discs/downloads all work too. No more needing to turn on his old systems.

Naked Lunch

Xbox's BC is just awesome. A dream come true honestly.

Last night alone I hopped from Ninja Gaiden 2 BC campaign, to Lost Planet 2 online coop, to current gen Halo MCC multiplayer, then back to Earth Defense Force 2025 BC online coop with strangers. People still play all of the 360 games online ive tried. I own these games digitally so this all happened at the touch of a button - and the BC games ran and look better than they ever did. All the while recording clips and screenshots in all those games.

Being that XSX will have all of this available day one is a helluva thing...

Psykodad

Banned
I had to check Psykodad's history. Pure Sony fan.

No wonder he's downplaying BC. If Sony announced PS5 would have full BC with PS1-PS4, I'm sure he would be happy as a clam and boasting he can now play his old PS1-PS2 discs in PS5, and PS3-PS4 discs/downloads all work too. No more needing to turn on his old systems.
If you went through the trouble of checking my post history, might as well just address me directly.

Don't even know what Sony has to do with it. Unless you yourself have an agenda rn, because I'm talking strictly BC.

RaySoft

I absolutely luv MS approach to BC/Smart delivery.
Sony needs to take notes.
Since MS are supporting all their consoles down to Xbox One, they have to have this feature. It downloads i.e. texture packs and data specific for the console you're downloading on. On PS5 you'll download PS5 games, they won't work on PS4/Pro anyways, so no need for it.

Last edited:

LMJ

BC on the PS4 is a tricky deal...

It absolutely should have used PS1 BC, but PS2 and 3 in particular were nigh impossible and if included would have ensured price parity or even a high price to the Xbone...

The PS3 needed the PS2 guts for BC to perform decently (the later models tried emulation, but it was quite buggy) and the PS4 would likely have had to include a cell and emotion engine to perform this feat...

Ms has used a power PC architecture so it was not as complex as Sonys feat was

That Having been said, Microsoft deserves all the accolades it has received for their BC solution, it's simple for the user and as someone else already mentioned many games have actually seen improvements and it looks like the series X will continue this kind of (let's be honest) brilliant work...

This is one area were being very PC like has helped xbox far more than its competition :)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Since MS are supporting all their consoles down to Xbox One, they have to have this feature. It downloads i.e. texture packs and data specific for the console you're downloading on. On PS5 you'll download PS5 games, they won't work on PS4/Pro anyways, so no need for it.
One thing Sony hasn't confirmed is if you buy a PS4 game (let's say Ghosts of T), do you automatically get free PS5 upgrades? Or do you have to rebuy a "PS5 version".

Right now, Sony said they are aiming for about 100 BC games to start at launch. No idea which ones they are except Cerny saying something about "the top played games".

thelastword

Banned
Sony did a study, people hardly go back and play old games. Sony is the king of BC..... No console has ever matched PS2 and PS3 BC........ I could play my entire PS1 library on PS2 and my entire PS1 and PS2 library on PS3.

Besides, PS4 BC is already confirmed and the Axiom dev has no idea if Sony has plans for PS3-PS1 BC, usually people prefer remasters of such older games, the games people are most Nostalgic of....Crash sold a tonne. Nobody is going back to play the entire PS library no matter what they tell you and that's considering that the PS library has the most classics of any console family....

PS4 BC is locked but people won't t go to the oldware when they see the newware.... They will dabble in a few games at launch to test BC, but every body will be posting the new hotness at 4k native in the next gen screenshot thread.

Zannegan

I was really disappointed in how short sighted Nintendo was with its Virtual Console idea. There is absolutely no reason not to make their retro games available on every system they put out. I couldn't believe it when they started re-releasing the same games with the same slow trickle on Wii U, like people were just going to be chomping at the bit waiting for games they already had.

I get that initially they probably only licensed them for the Wii generation or something, but once they knew what they had on their hands, they should have been all-in trying to create a service where people can (legally) build a a consistent retro library while there are still young professionals who have nostalgia for those specific titles.

Their mishandling of VC was one of the worst fumbles of the Wii U generation, IMO, and that's saying a lot.

RaySoft

One thing Sony hasn't confirmed is if you buy a PS4 game (let's say Ghosts of T), do you automatically get free PS5 upgrades? Or do you have to rebuy a "PS5 version".

Right now, Sony said they are aiming for about 100 BC games to start at launch. No idea which ones they are except Cerny saying something about "the top played games".
Yes you're right, since the service already has to be this way for MS' own games, other 3rd party multi-plats could follow suit as well (optional)
The only reason for 3rd parties to not do the same for PS5 would be if Sony still monetizes every upload to their store. If they makes it free of charge, they would have the same insentive to archive the same service.

Last edited:
Top Bottom