• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Call of Duty and other popular AB games will continue to be released on PlayStation and Nintendo platforms beyond current agreements

sainraja

I like how biassed all the industry is towards Japanese companies and against Ms in particular.

When Xbox almost disappeared last gen thanks to Mattrick almost single handledly killed the brand and Sony reign the entire gen nobody bats an eye.

MS become competetivie and suddenly everyone and their mothers seem to care about competence and monopolies and what not.

Yet we didn't saw so much fuzz when Sony money hatted all big third party titles for some times exclusive shit (just a refresher, Starfield would come out only on PlaySation at launch) and only on PS DLCs and such.

Sony dominated so hard that they took away with making games $70 (€80) at launch a thing.

But you know, the problem is MS and now everyone needs to lose their minds because having a $15/month subscription with a plethora of games AAA, AA and indies alike is obviously bad for the consumer and paying $70 for each game upfront is healthy.
You'll be OKAY. It's all going to be fine. Don't worry.

Aenima

Called it. You cant just cut ur COD playerbase in half and think thats a good business decision.
Good news for all gamers. Press F to pay respect to all fanboys dying inside today.

Hopefully this is the path for a furure where one day all games can be played in any platform.

Just reads like something written to get ahead of any kind of scrutiny that the deal could be facing; let's see what they will be doing in 2025.
They have to play nice. Or they give the government an excuse to reject or add concessions to the deal.

Cause they sure enjoyed adding doubt when they first announced the deal. I am personally disappointed cause I enjoyed the future spiciness of it all. It would have been hilarious MS pulling COD from PS, and the franchise rapidly dying. EA is sad today.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Short term this was a no brainer, Playstation is a massive market for COD and there's no way they're leaving that amount of money on the table especially considering how thorough the regulators will be going through the deal, long term we'll be looking at possibly staggered releases, exclusive skins etc but I can't see them walling COD behind Gamepads, game is too big and too multiplatform, same with FiFa it'll never go exclusive and with Sony promising to keep Destiny multiplat it just keeps the peace all round... Damn shame about ES6 though

MadPanda

Banned
Okay, I'll admit I'm surprised. Don't understand why but it doesn't change anything for me. I just hope this deal goes through as soon as possible so I could get call of duty on gamepass 😁

Guess Satya was concerned about regulation after all

Strongly doubt this has anything to do with that; you guys underestimate how vast the mobile gaming space is.

But anyways, I guess this finally clears up any speculation. "Other" popular Activision-Blizzard games I'm guessing include Crash, Spyro, Overwatch and maybe Diablo.

That said, if they decided to bring back, say, Quest for Glory or Gabriel Knight, I can see new entries in those being exclusive. Those IP have been dormant for years and aren't well-known with most gamers of today.

I said all the laughing reactions would look pretty silly once this plays out.
Activision is on a whole different level than Bethesda, MS knows this and there's no way they'd limit CoD to just Xbox, it would actually be worse for them financially. This is 100% a Minecraft situation and I said that since day 1.

It was never about COD going exclusive; at most some just speculated that the campaign annual releases would go exclusive but stuff like Warzone would always stay multiplatform. The question was really about other IPs not COD: Overwatch, Diablo, WoW, Crash, Spyro etc.

Even in some of those cases I personally felt they would stay multiplat; Nintendo's basically the home for platformers so why not have Crash & Spyro there, for example? But yeah, this was mostly always about stuff beyond COD, I guess today's news has answered that.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Duh. More money to be made on multiple platforms than on 1. You fanboys are turning this into rocket science.

Sony doing the same thing with Bungie. More platforms = more money.

Very easy to understand.

70 on Playstation. "Free" on Gamepass. Its simple logic.

Last edited:
Wow thats huge. I wonder if they made a deal with Sony. Something like we will continue to make CoD for PS but starting in 2022 or 2023 new content will be able to launch on Gamepass Day 1. Ofcourse This is assuming PS even has a deal to keep CoD off Gamepass.

drganon

I was going to make a joke about continuing to not play them, but several posters beat me to the punch. Good news for people who are into them and wanna play them on playstation I guess.

Deerock71

So...Nintendo?!?!?
Jim Carrey Chance GIF

"To be clear, Microsoft will continue to make Call of Duty and other popular Activision Blizzard titles available on PlayStation through the term of any existing agreement with Activision. And we have committed to Sony that we will also make them available on PlayStation beyond the existing agreement and into the future so that Sony fans can continue to enjoy the games they love."

Funnily enough, this doesnt specify if future titles (as specified in the Bungie q&a) will be multiplatform..it just states that the games coming "through the term of any existing agreements" will remain multiplatform.

chonga

Strongly doubt this has anything to do with that; you guys underestimate how vast the mobile gaming space is.

But anyways, I guess this finally clears up any speculation. "Other" popular Activision-Blizzard games I'm guessing include Crash, Spyro, Overwatch and maybe Diablo.

That said, if they decided to bring back, say, Quest for Glory or Gabriel Knight, I can see new entries in those being exclusive. Those IP have been dormant for years and aren't well-known with most gamers of today.
Did you even read it? The whole piece is literally about regulation and what commitments they're making to keep regulators on board.

Ozriel

M$FT
they really spent 70 billion on more gamepass subscribers what a joke

Don't be simple.
They'll get more gamepass subscribers by putting COD there. They'll continue to rake in revenue from putting the games on Playstation, but possibly also expanding to the Switch to capture a bigger audience.
They apparently also have plans to boost Activision's output, revitalize Blizzard and exploit dormant IP.

Currently, Activision brings in $8bn per annum of revenue. I'm sure they'll be looking for more growth areas...and they'll get a revenue spike with Diablo 4, Overwatch 2, Blizzard's new survival RPG among others.

Anyone still thinking this doesn’t mean live service games. Is going to be disappointed. No way Microsoft is going to put out their exclusive games on Sony and Nintendo platforms when Nintendo isn’t and Sony is damn sure not putting their exclusive games on Xbox.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Fanboys were so sure it was going to be exclusive lmao. You dont spend 70 billion dollars to have less players.

More platforms = wider audience = more money.

Free on Gamepass/70 on PlayStation. Its the ONLY thing that makes sense. And is a win win for MS.

I'm surprised about this but good for all the cod fans who play on PlayStation. I guess Microsoft thought removing access for millions of fans is a bad idea. It makes more sense to have the multiplayer games as multiplatform and the big single player games as exclusives.

Ozriel

M$FT
Because they’re trying for the best optics possible and they’re vulnerable. They need the deal to close.

That's...not how logic works.
Before the sale goes through, Activision are in charge. And they'll have a freeze in place for new contracts or deals that can impact the value of the company.

Majukun

well i'll be damned, i haved no idea why did they buy actibliz in the first place then, seems like a lot of wasted money

to me it changes nothing, noth because i don't really care for actibliz games, and because they will probably be on pc gamepass anyway

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Daddy Jimbo saved us the Duty by buying Bungie

Bless him
lol The fact that the man outbid Microsoft is still insane to me. I still think MS can end the war if they go and get Take2. GTA Online + COD and even Bungie cant save Playstation.

I said this when Jimbo signed Bungie but it showed me that Sony believed in the PS enough to write Jimbo a blank check to outbid MS. They could still be acquiring new companies in order to up their valuation for a future sale, but right now that threat of new acquisitions and the Bungie acquisition seems to have worked.

Hate to say it but if they got complacent and didnt buy more companies then they will find themselves in this spot once again. They need at least one more big unnecessary purchase that might become too expensive when Apple and Meta come to town.

well i'll be damned, i haved no idea why did they buy actibliz in the first place then, seems like a lot of wasted money

to me it changes nothing, noth because i don't really care for actibliz games, and because they will probably be on pc gamepass anyway
All of that actiblizz revenue goes to MS.

Saber

Gold Member
Diablo will be another one for sure. That game is basically an MMO.

I dunno about Diablo(and Warcraft). Is their fanbase that huge nowadays? I don't think they are on the same level of farming as CoD.

They bought probably for a long term investment, not to please a bunch of stupid fanboys.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
The backlash from the other thread was already too strong. Nobody buys Phil's bullshit anymore besides adamsapple adamsapple and the likes.

COD is a "Microsoft studio game" like God Of War and Horizon lol

Even Phil knows the FTC won't buy that for 1 second and he's already in full damage control mode 🤣 Big Tech is shook 🤣

Top Bottom