• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Closes Redfall Developer Arkane Austin, HiFi Rush Developer Tango Gameworks, and More in Devastating Cuts at Bethesda

NEbeast

After all the Sony hate from helldiverss you would think MS might play it cool for a while.
Watch This Hold Up GIF by Apple TV+

gow3isben

Wait isn't Arkane the creator of Dishonored, Prey, and Deathloop...?

Isn't it one of the best FPS creators of today?

HOLY SHIT.

And tango too.

Buying companies just to close them WTF man

F100JLjaAAMGtpF

200w.gif

Yes bethesda != activision

But all of people in the industry were tripping over themselves wanting these acquistions to go through so MS could be more competitive. 🤡

John Linneman is one of the biggest clowns in video gaming, only surpassed by his buddy Alex.

People have been warning and warning and warning for years, but either ignored, mocked, or sidelined.

The next couple years in gaming will be very interesting.

Cyberpunkd

Studio's that don't make money, don't produce games that make money will always be in danger, whomever owns them or if they're independent.

Microsoft are running a business and with that comes an expectation that everyone has to make good on the investment Microsoft made in them. Unfortunately these Studio's haven't delivered on their promise and Microsoft has acted. Microsoft aren't any different to any other company, they all require results.
Is this what grift looks like? Please tell me you at least have a YT channel making shitty clickbait thumbnails and are not simping for 3 trillion dollar corp for free?

Solidus_T

Microsoft are vile.

The ABK thread gets funnier every day. The workers want this guys, unions 4 lyf.

‘but what about Sony closing a studio’ and ‘I don’t get why Xbox gets hate’ the cries will come from the neutered cross dressing shills.
The part about unions is especially funny because nowadays they really just act like another layer of management. Workers don't really have their own organizations. I bet their bureaucrats got a healthy payout!

Needlecrash

Name a fucking shittier company. Acquire a ton of studios, only to mismanage them and close them. At this point, those imbeciles are doing far more harm than good to the industry. Just keep your grubby paws off developers Microsoft. You only know how to destroy them. They always brag about having a million studios that somehow produce fucking nothing.

Tango closing is some Grade-A bullshit considering that Hi-Fi Rush is their best new IP since Ori.
Embracer Group comes to mind...

SilentUser

Man, this is so sad. I feel for the workers there. I really don't like the "consolidation" era we are living, big companies were simply buying stuff and now they are shuting off things. Sad.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Just dropping by this thread to say that this is some baby back BULLSHIT.

How the shit are they gonna drop Tango? That’s the first creative game to come out of MS in like a decade.

Horrible news.

Why does Microsoft keep finding ways to make me hate owning an Xbox?

I have tried so long to be the person whose like "I just own all platforms, cuz they all got something to offer" but this entire generation has been nothing but shit news after shit news.
They do have something to offer. Xbox has the best backwards compatibility (although its severely limited) with xbox og and xbox 360. I got my series x just for that and a handful of games that aren't on ps4/5 (grim dawn).
But at the rate they keep delisting games, and if the rumors of no disc version are true, it will not be a good propisition for future buyers at some point.

My concern is them throwing in the towel and xbox winds up like zune and they shut down the servers. We would be left with paperweights.

Microsoft wants to be a software publisher now. Getting ABK positions them to do so.

There are still people out there thinking Xbox isn't dead or that Microsoft is really focused on Xbox as a brand.

Not sure what needs to happen for people to realize that won't be the case moving forward. Sure, they're happy to sell as many Xbox units as they can and as many GP subs as they can, but both of those things are diminishing fast.
Oh buddy, while they say that publicly. I’m sure they are PISSED about the state of Xbox and the money wasted.

I agree with you about the brand. MS could have bought other studios and other things for what they spent on Activision.

Spencer will be out by years end. No question.

I was never a believer in gamepass as a service nor am I an Xbox defender. I fine the whole situation sad.

I’m sure MS will have more closures in the coming months, Sony will too for that matter.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I hope World’s Edge is safe. AOE4 and AOE2 DE are so good.

Redfall devs, I saw that coming a mile away. Losing Tango sucks but their games just kept flopping sadly. If they were a viable business Im sure they could’ve negotiated their independence like Toys for Bob.

LordCBH

I hope World’s Edge is safe. AOE4 and AOE2 DE are so good.

Redfall devs, I saw that coming a mile away. Losing Tango sucks but their games just kept flopping sadly. If they were a viable business Im sure they could’ve negotiated their independence like Toys for Bob.

I haven’t played AoE4. But 2DE was indeed sick as fuck.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Obsidian / InXile / Double Fine with small cRPG/adventure projects that typically aren't blockbusters,

This morning they must be sweating

sweating key and peele GIF

I swear to god if they close Obsidian and InXile for doing what a cRPG studio is expected to do....
Obsidian and Ninja Theory are next. They have games coming out that are set to flop thanks to gamepass. Avowed might have a chance if the PC/steam userbase buys a few million copies but im not seeing it, sorry.

Both will be shut down a month after the games are ported to PS5. Obsidian better be getting Phil to greenlight a Fallout New Vegas style spin off. Avowed and Outer Worlds simply wont make the impact MS execs would want before shuttering these studios.

Double Fine will live until their next game comes out.

Corpo always gonna corpo. With this moves, and the Activision acquisition, i think it could happen what the rumors are saying....Xbox will turn into a some sort of a Steam rival, focused on software as a service. Probably all their games went multiplattform and they stick to hardware just for niche and enthusiast. Whatever is their next move, seems they are digging their own grave. There is nothing left of the legacy of the OG Xbox (which i love) and 360. Not a fanboy or Sony, but gladly didnt bought Xbox Series X (i was close) and then went up for PS5 (which i´m not too much happy about it either, but at least is not this mess Xbox is becoming.).

gow3isben

Arkane Studios is comprised of two studios, Arkane Austin being one of them. They still have Arkane Lyon.

OK that makes it more palatable honestly if this is the sideshow bob that wasn't involved in those 3 and only made Redfall

Dane

I don't feel anything for Roundhouse after the scam they pulled out with Rune 2 when they were Human Head Studios, but the rest? Jesus, Arkane Austin was killed with Redfall issues, they probably bled staff so hard that it was tough, Tango was totally unexpected, Alpha Dog was a possibility with Mighty Doom not being a hot release.

That's one way to increase production of the Fallout franchise.
From where I am standing, this is the result of Xbox going third party; by definition you don't need all the niche AA games when you are no longer a platform holder. That was what SEGA did when they stopped building consoles; many beloved SEGA game IPs were never seen again because they were not big enough to be worth supporting as 3rd party.

As a Platform holder the Platform wants a variety of games, with every niche filled. As a 3rd Party, you just want the most profitable games made and nothing else.

They want more Fallout games? kill every other studio and recycle the few you can reuse in making Fallout. Even beloved niche games dies because you don't need them anymore, you won't need to support Xbox console ecosystems any longer.

Look, we saw it happen with SEGA, and it is sad to see the same happen here.

Needlecrash

I can see Arkane closing down. But Tango? That's a shock, given how relatively well Hifi Rush turned out to be. Here's to hoping those affected land back on their feet soon.

Dazraell

Obsidian / InXile / Double Fine with small cRPG/adventure projects that typically aren't blockbusters,

This morning they must be sweating

I swear to god if they close Obsidian and InXile for doing what a cRPG studio is expected to do....
I think these news definitely hit people at Obsidian as they still employ devs who were there when Microsoft pulled a plug on that cancelled Stormlands project. That cancellation hit them hard as they didn't had anything else signed and they ended up on a brink of being closed. They were saved only thanks to Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter campaign. I'm still baffled why Obsidian even agreed for that deal with Microsoft in a first place

Buggy Loop

Obsidian and Ninja Theory are next. They have games coming out that are set to flop thanks to gamepass. Avowed might have a chance if the PC/steam userbase buys a few million copies but im not seeing it, sorry.

Both will be shut down a month after the games are ported to PS5. Obsidian better be getting Phil to greenlight a Fallout New Vegas style spin off. Avowed and Outer Worlds simply wont make the impact MS execs would want before shuttering these studios.

Double Fine will live until their next game comes out.

Why buy a cRPG studio and expect blockbusters?

At which point in time inXile made blockbusters?

I fucking hate execs if they spent money on studios that will never meet expectations. Fuck em if they close the studios.

Everybody losing their shit but you don’t buy the games 😂

Not only that, you constantly see around here most of the people foaming at their mouths for Sony to be the only gaming company.

I guess they can go fuck themselves for getting exactly what they asked for 🤷🏻‍♂️
I guess you are right.

is our fault MS spent 100B in five years just to not have games and when they have, they are still trash

is our fault .... WE DIDN'T GAVE XBOX A DAMN CHANCE and now Sony's monopoly is closing Xbox studios.

Sooooo, what is the reasoning?

ISUYp5U.png

What did they do wrong? Or did the algorithm just tell them that it didn't help Gamepass subs so it had no value to them. This company is doing everything incompetently for over a decade now. Really sucks

StueyDuck

Banned
Ouch that burns... tango were really the only ones left giving MS studios Any sort of personality.

I guess rare and double fine are gonna have to do the heavy lifting

Top Bottom