• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Redfall] 70% of Arkane Austin have left the company - Jason Schreier

SaintALia

Because of the way he frames his story. For example, saying 70% of the staff that worked on Prey have left has a hell of a lot more impact than saying 70% of the devs have been replaced over the past six years. That's really not a big deal at all considering the amount of turnover in the industry. But he way of telling gets attention and folks will repeat it as truth. I don't trust journalists like this.

lol.....is that what I said really means? That's pretty funny.
But they didn't get replaced though? Not all anyway.

Studio count was about 150 in 2020, and the article says less than 100 currently(I'm finding it a bit difficult to get accurate information about employee count atm). It was also comparing it to studios that actually manage large GAAS that are similar to it like Bungie with hundreds of staff on hand. I think Rainbow Six Siege started with 150, but I have no idea how much it expanded to, Ubisoft Montreal has over a 1000 employees.

But then you'd have to consider key personnel leaving which you may not actually be able to 'replace'. So I think it'd be: Migration of talent. Not enough devs to balance that loss of talent. Not enough time to get the new devs up to speed.

But I suppose it would also depend on the talent they hired and the scope of the project and how much they had to peel back.

Topher

Gold Member

Studio count was about 150 in 2020, and the article says less than 100 currently(I'm finding it a bit difficult to get accurate information about employee count atm). It was also comparing it to studios that actually manage large GAAS that are similar to it like Bungie with hundreds of staff on hand. I think Rainbow Six Siege started with 150, but I have no idea how much it expanded to, Ubisoft Montreal has over a 1000 employees.

But then you'd have to consider key personnel leaving which you may not actually be able to 'replace'. So I think it'd be: Migration of talent. Not enough devs to balance that loss of talent. Not enough time to get the new devs up to speed.

But I suppose it would also depend on the talent they hired and the scope of the project and how much they had to peel back.

That's kind of my point. Shrierer doesn't go into the details of how many were replaced or how many vacancies are still open. He puts out that flat "70% have left" and let's it stand on its own for impact. Just like he talks about Bethesda's low pay while ignoring the relative low cost of living in Austin, Texas compared to that of Silicon Valley. Then he makes up this nonsense that Bethesda will have a hard time hiring folks to Austin because of conservative politics when Austin is already considered one of the top tech hubs in the country. Of course, he is an unabashed far leftist so of course he had to get that tidbit in there.

But.....that's just me. If others want to take his articles at face value then that is up to them. Like I said, he is definitely trustworthy when it comes to reporting rumors of games in development.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Meh, that just means there was poor management. If they had a solid plan architected at the start it wouldn’t matter who left or came in.
Unfortunately this is the majority of the game industry right now…top level wants GAAS and micro transactions, and is going to push out to meet deadlines regardless. They don’t care about anything other than the immediate bottom line.

jm89

let’s bring Redfall to ps5 first.
Ps5:
giphy.webp

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
and the article says less than 100 currently(I'm finding it a bit difficult to get accurate information about employee count atm).
In 2021, it was 150 across both Austin and Lyon. And now, its like 280. Even if we take Jason's word, that still means they studio actually grew rather than shrinking. I am trying the find the source, but I remember it being posted on GAF that Arkane Austin had 100 employees last year.

Last edited:

SaintALia

In 2021, it was 150 across both Austin and Lyon. And now, its like 280. Even if we take Jason's word, that still means they studio actually grew rather than shrinking.
Where'd you get the 280 number? I'm find a range of numbers. Ah Linkedin, found it. I was looking at company analysis sites, rather than going to the more obvious site.

So I suppose it'd just boil to what I said before then:
"Migration of talent. Not enough devs to balance that loss of talent. Not enough time to get the new devs up to speed."

xrnzaaas

They'd be long dead already (probably after Dishonored 2 or Prey) if they were under EA. Zenimax had more patience allowing them to develop Prey and now Microsoft desperately needs first party games so they may still have a chance. On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if Arkane was dissolved and the remaining talented people moved to other studios.

Bernkastel

Bro, the proof is in the pudding. Scoring points on the head count doesn't change the quality of Red fall.
I was not talking about quality of Redfall. I was talking about the article's claim that "70% of Arkane Austin left due to Redfall". Even this random Arkane Austin dev I quoted more than 2 years ago is still working on Arkane Austin.
Someone mentioned Arkane Austin in the 15 rumoured games thread, so I remembered getting this reply from Lead Technical Engineer at Arkane Austin.

Bernkastel

He is a console warrior. Don't expect any actual discussion from them.
Funny how me sourcing how many employees Arkane Austin had in 2021 and 2022 in a thread about "70% of Arkane Austin left due to Redfall" is console warring.

Ozriel

M$FT

How was this passage not a red flag for you? Destiny and Fortnite are nowhere near similar to Redfall, which ended up not being a GaaS title anyway.

Rare’s Sea of Thieves is a successful GAAS game and they’ve got less than 100 employees on that.

Schreier knew what he was doing. Same way he’s spun the 70% attrition rate for his story, as Topher Topher pointed out.

Not to mention some of his conclusions are contradictory. He says recruitment is slow because many devs don’t want to work in Texas, yet isn’t willing to speculate if working in Texas isn’t a driver for increased turnover.
The videogame industry also has the highest attrition rate in tech, and it’s been 6 years since Prey was released. So it’s contentious to also say Redfall’s the reason for the staff departures.

I’m not exonerating anyone here. From all indications, the pay wasn’t good, the studio had long operated under a cloud after their past few games had failed to get commercial success and many devs weren’t pleased at making a multiplayer title. But some of this seems deliberately sensationalized.

skit_data

Damn, that’s a big part of the workforce! Are the founders of Arkane still around? What about the main people behind Prey? Downloaded it yesterday to give it another chance after dropping it years ago.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Funny how me sourcing how many employees Arkane Austin had in 2021 and 2022 in a thread about "70% of Arkane Austin left due to Redfall" is console warring.

Funny how a known xbox warrior who defends anything and everything related to the box is trying to dismiss the massive fuck up that is Arkane under MS's control. Seriously, who do you think you are fooling here?

Roxkis_ii

I was not talking about quality of Redfall. I was talking about the article's claim that "70% of Arkane Austin left due to Redfall". Even this random Arkane Austin dev I quoted more than 2 years ago is still working on Arkane Austin.
You know what, that was my bad. I thought this was the other thread.

Last edited:

Elios83

That $7.5 billion acquisition ain't lookin so hot.

So far indeed indeed the balance isn't exactly positive given Redfall and the loss of Shinji Mikami.
The feeling is that they bought a struggling publisher, the pressure is to reverse this with Starfield.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So far indeed indeed the balance isn't exactly positive given Redfall and the loss of Shinji Mikami.
The feeling is that they bought a struggling publisher, the pressure is to reverse this with Starfield.

The loss of Shinji Mikami lol. He's a legend but the last couple of good games Tango has made, namely Evil Within 2 and HiFi were directed by Mikami's protege, John Johanas.

Bernkastel

Funny how a known xbox warrior who defends anything and everything related to the box is trying to dismiss the massive fuck up that is Arkane under MS's control. Seriously, who do you think you are fooling here?
All I mentioned was Jason's claim about 70% of Arkane Austin having left due to Redfall and that got you so worked up huh.

BosmerCulter

Neo Member
Schreier also points to the responsibility of the directors of the game: Harvey Smith and Ricardo Bare.

Sad because the first was Dishonored 2's director and the second the lead designer of Prey.

bender

What time is it?

I'd assume Arkane and Tango Works were largely afterthoughts for the acquisition. And to be fair, Hi-Fi Rush is as good as Redfall is bad.

kuncol02

Banned
Schreier also points to the responsibility of the directors of the game: Harvey Smith and Ricardo Bare.

Sad because the first was Dishonored 2's director and the second the lead designer of Prey.

And Harvey was director of Deus Ex Invisible War and Blacksite: Area 51. Ricardo Bare was lead designer of both.

Alebrije

Sony is buying companies to develop GAAS , the only speculation we have is Factions that nobody knows what kind of multiplayer will be ( if released someday)...but supose Factions will be a GAAS it seems Sony is concerned about it due to the Bungie supervision...at least they are worried to avoid something like Redfall.

Kacho

I'd assume Arkane and Tango Works were largely afterthoughts for the acquisition. And to be fair, Hi-Fi Rush is as good as Redfall is bad.
Great studios to fill out the Game Pass catalog, but yeah, ESO alone probably ranked higher on the list of importance.

j.k.2021

Banned
This game was the result of Bethesda desperation and higher-ups forcing it on them.And, No time of delay would have fixed a game broken on design level.Microsoft also had nothing to do with it's development.

SkylineRKR

Prey is one of my favourite games ever and its closest you'll get to System Shock 3. Its far better than Bioshock.

Arkane Austin seems to be dead. And on top of Redfall being shit, their games don't really sell. Zenimax, bar Doom and TES, was always like this. Arkane didn't sell, Tango didn't sell. Machinegames makes ok games, but inferior to ID imo. Obisidian is good, but plagued by bad luck.

SkylineRKR

I wonder if GP has to do with anything. Its like Xbox lower their bar since they have GP. The mentality about many games is like, its on GP so its free anyway. Sony maintains a much higher quality on their first party output. Their worst reviewed games, like Days Gone, to be honest I choose it over the last few Halos and Redfall any day of the week.

Warablo

Sad, because Prey was their best game.

I wonder if GP has to do with anything. Its like Xbox lower their bar since they have GP. The mentality about many games is like, its on GP so its free anyway. Sony maintains a much higher quality on their first party output. Their worst reviewed games, like Days Gone, to be honest I choose it over the last few Halos and Redfall any day of the week.
Has nothing to do with Gamepass, Deathloop and Redfall were them trying to capture more marketshare and micro transactions because all of their other single player games hardly broke into the mainstream/profits that they wanted.

Last edited:
Damn, that’s a big part of the workforce! Are the founders of Arkane still around? What about the main people behind Prey? Downloaded it yesterday to give it another chance after dropping it years ago.
No. The Arkane of old is gonr. It doesn't even matter if what the game journalist is saying is the truth.
IT SHOULD BE TRUE.

Kill Arkane from from orbit.

Kacho

1. look at the report.

3. are you his body guard? if so. i don't have any issue with that.
I’m just trying to understand why you’re so obsessed with the guy. I saw you do the same thing yesterday and he’s not responding, probably because it’s obvious you aren’t engaging in good faith.

graywolf323

the thread title is incorrect but the actual point was that 70% of the devs that worked on Prey have left

feynoob

Banned
This has nothing to do with GP.

The problem stems from games not selling very well, and the focus on live service games as those bring money.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Employee counts can be heavily skewed to fit a narrative.

At my company, I've been here around 10 years. My office has had probably 80% leave the company. But, our employee count is higher than it was when I started since we've filled the roles and also expanded beyond that.

Top Bottom