• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Redfall] 70% of Arkane Austin have left the company - Jason Schreier

Employee counts can be heavily skewed to fit a narrative.

At my company, I've been here around 10 years. My office has had probably 80% leave the company. But, our employee count is higher than it was when I started since we've filled the roles and also expanded beyond that.
very well said...

Phil is apparently steering the ship in the right direction but isn't checking who's in the cabins.

eWzwxE.gif

rkofan87

Gold Member
Mr. Schreier has released another investigative piece, this time regarding what happened with Redfall. Some of the more juicy bits:

There is way, way more in the article:

Arkane is fuckin dead rip. At the very least, Austin is a goner. 70 % is insane. But since I couldn't even play 2 hours of Deathloop, for me Arkane Lyon isn't instilling any confidence either. Bummer.

i know js is a sjw cuck but when it comes to stuff like this he is the man.

Azurro

Banned
Employee counts can be heavily skewed to fit a narrative.

At my company, I've been here around 10 years. My office has had probably 80% leave the company. But, our employee count is higher than it was when I started since we've filled the roles and also expanded beyond that.

The problem is finding the right people to replace them though. I'm a decent programmer but our architect is an amazing one, understands security, performance, the underlying infrastructure way better than I do and so on. It'd be incredibly hard to replace him since there's not many people as skilled as him so that's a challenge from a technical point of view. It's really tough, even with a decent knowledge transfer period.

So, having 70% of the original team leaving will make the overall technical skill go lower, at the very least in the short and medium term. Along with them game design knowledge also leaves along with office culture, so the type of games the studio were capable of producing are at risk of not being possible anymore.

Boss Mog

Another BioWare Montreal scenario. A well regarded studio create a new sub-studio that is overly woke in its hiring and storytelling which makes a game that is very poor technically with bad story/characters. Game doesn't sell and is poorly received, sub-studio closes, main studio's brand takes a hit.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The problem is finding the right people to replace them though. I'm a decent programmer but our architect is an amazing one, understands security, performance, the underlying infrastructure way better than I do and so on. It'd be incredibly hard to replace him since there's not many people as skilled as him so that's a challenge from a technical point of view. It's really tough, even with a decent knowledge transfer period.

So, having 70% of the original team leaving will make the overall technical skill go lower, at the very least in the short and medium term. Along with them game design knowledge also leaves along with office culture, so the type of games the studio were capable of producing are at risk of not being possible anymore.
Fair point.

I dont work in game making. I just work in one department, surrounded by every other department on the floors. Over time, we've improved the talent and processes. For sure some good people leave, but I'd say we've been good at axing people who dont cut it including during the 3 month probation period. And the new people hired definitely trend better than when I started. Back then there was a lot of "new boss brings over 4 of his past coworkers" over the next year kind of thing. Half of them are shit. We dont do much of that anymore aside from occasional one offs who seem good.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Prey is one of my favourite games ever and its closest you'll get to System Shock 3. Its far better than Bioshock.

Arkane Austin seems to be dead. And on top of Redfall being shit, their games don't really sell. Zenimax, bar Doom and TES, was always like this. Arkane didn't sell, Tango didn't sell. Machinegames makes ok games, but inferior to ID imo. Obisidian is good, but plagued by bad luck.
Don’t forget Fallout. But yeah, Doom / TES / Fallout are their 3 major franchises that sell well. Getting the additional studios (on top of BGS and id) felt like a boon for Microsoft but they were never A tier studios.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
The acquisition gave some staff at Arkane hope that Microsoft might cancel Redfall or, better yet, let them reboot it as a single-player game, according to sources familiar with the production. Instead, Microsoft maintained a hands-off approach

Looks like this is a recurring theme. Imo, this again looks like the reason this is happening. It's not working for them.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Another BioWare Montreal scenario. A well regarded studio create a new sub-studio that is overly woke in its hiring and storytelling which makes a game that is very poor technically with bad story/characters. Game doesn't sell and is poorly received, sub-studio closes, main studio's brand takes a hit.

Interested GIF by Nick Cannon

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looks like this is a recurring theme. Imo, this again looks like the reason this is happening. It's not working for them.
If it's true, hands-off management is leading to poor execution, then it's time to get back to babysitting employees and crack the whip involving targets, deadlines and budget.

Hands-off management works when the departments can do a good job on their own. Micromanaging is needed when they got no idea what they are doing.

Banjo64

cumsessed
If it's true, hands-off management is leading to poor execution, then it's time to get back to babysitting employees and crack the whip involving targets, deadlines and budget.

Hands-off management works when the departments can do a good job on their own. Micromanaging is needed when they got no idea what they are doing.
There’s a happy in between.

Allowing a sense of freedom, but checking in regularly to ensure the product meets a high standard.

For that to work you need to be able to identify high/low quality, and you need someone willing to have those challenging but constructive conversations.

The current Xbox leadership team need a complete re-work.

Phase

There’s a happy in between.

Allowing a sense of freedom, but checking in regularly to ensure the product meets a high standard.

For that to work you need to be able to identify high/low quality, and you need someone willing to have those challenging but constructive conversations.

The current Xbox leadership team need a complete re-work.
This is why there needs to be someone who knows games in that position.

Stooky

What is overly woke hiring I’ve never heard of this term before?

Phase

What is overly woke hiring I’ve never heard of this term before?
Why do you guys act like you don't know what this means. It means hiring based on quotas/checkboxes rather than who's the most talented/skilled for the position.

Last edited:

Stooky

Why do you guys act like you don't know what this means. It means hiring based on quotas/checkboxes rather than who's the most talented/skilled for the position.
I’m tired seeing this delusional bullshit. I’ve never seen it happen in this industry. Seen a lot people who couldn’t pull their weight got fired. Games are to hard to make for this type of hiring criteria.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Zenimax was in deep shit before the acquisition. Hence the disastrous shift with F76, Redfall etc. even a game like Ghostwire looks like it got a reversal in the middle of its development.

In the year that Microsoft announced the acquisition, Zenimax released Doom Eternal. In the following year they released Deathloop. And in the year after that Ghostwire Tokyo.

Zenimax was perfectly fine before the acquisition.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Strange we didn't hear any of them asking for new jobs on social media after leaving, must've been NDA'd.
I'm guessing they were the intelligent and talented people who easily slipped in to a new role.
Those left behind are probably the unemployable rainbow hair brigade types.

Raonak

Banned
Lol, what are ya'll expecting developers to look like? A bunch of programmers and artistic designers aren't gonna look like a bunch of supermodels or gigachads.

They're mostly gonna look like people who grew up on gaming forms, hell, they probably look like most of you.

When hiring you rarely only hire based on talent/skill, personality and communication are just as important.
Especially with programmers, there's so many great programmers that absolutely cannot work in a team.

And if you're skilled, have great teamwork , and a diverse element, then win win win for everybody.

ungalo

In the year that Microsoft announced the acquisition, Zenimax released Doom Eternal. In the following year they released Deathloop. And in the year after that Ghostwire Tokyo.

Zenimax was perfectly fine before the acquisition.
Their output declined approximatively in 2018. Releasing one game per year every year is weak for a publisher like Bethesda, for the kind of game they're doing. This is probably because of their repeated commercial flops. They started to make standalone, small coop games that were poorly received, Elder Scrolls Blades...this is obviously a change in their strategy.

Deathloop and Ghostwire are commercial flops (and if i recall Ghostwire didn't have a smooth development), only Doom Eternal was a success. I think there is a lot of evidence it wasn't going well even though i don't know their results from those years.

Banjo64

cumsessed
You think the demographic for ‘artist’ is straight white male? Anything outside of that is woke?
You’re bringing sexuality, race and gender in to it. Sounds like you’ve got some issues.

I was just referring to hair colour, general emo/soyboi appearance and the dog.

Raonak

Banned
You’re bringing sexuality, race and gender in to it. Sounds like you’ve got some issues.

So you shouldn't hire anyone with dyed hair, or has a emo fashion sense?
And a dog...?

Is this what passes as woke these days?

Banjo64

cumsessed
So you shouldn't hire anyone with dyed hair, or has a emo fashion sense?
And a dog...?

Is this what passes as woke these days?
Anyone, or everyone?

I’m allowed to make assumptions based on appearance just like these people are allowed to dress like children well in to adulthood.

Topher

Gold Member
He said that when he thought the Metacritic was in the mid 60s. He even said, "we definitely don't intend to release a game that will review in the low 60s".

The score kept dropping after that.

That's fine, but he was commenting on the score at the time. But yeah, I guess the point about the internal reviews is valid then.

Last edited:

Phase

I’m tired seeing this delusional bullshit. I’ve never seen it happen in this industry. Seen a lot people who couldn’t pull their weight got fired. Games are to hard to make for this type of hiring criteria.
What's delusional is thinking that quotas don't exist in this industry as they do in every industry, especially so with large companies. It affects quality and creates detrimental workplace dynamics, because instead of just looking for the best person for the job they often are looking for "the best female for the job" or "the best minority candidate for the job" instead of just selecting based on skill and fit (i.e. the best person for the job). But who cares, right? Look at that ESG score!

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Anyone, or everyone?

I’m allowed to make assumptions based on appearance just like these people are allowed to dress like children well in to adulthood.
lmfao.

We literally play, discuss and obsess about video games constantly. How can you get any more childlike than that.
These are video game developers. You want a bunch of suits writing code?

If you're only hiring "mature" looking developers... then you aren't really gonna get much developers.
Especially if you have a dress code in the year 2023.

geary

Keep fucking with gaas games SP studios, keep doing it. And if the game succeeds you’re now stuck supporting it for years. Good shit.
Yeah, because the Dev leadership pretty much have a real choice in what is the new game they’ll. They can pitch a new SP game or refuse to do GAAS, but then ghe door is open for them and in their position will cone others who will do what the publisher do. There a very very few dev who have real freedom to choose on what they work…Look at ND…They are a top dev in the world and still asked and accepted to do GAAS game.

Raonak

Banned
The problem with all these studios is that the people paying their bills simply don't understand games.
Their publishers keep trying to chase trends instead instead of allowing the dev teams to make something they feel passionate about.

If there's no passion for work, then you're gonna make a bad product.

What delusional is thinking that quotas don't exist in this industry as they do in every industry, especially so with large companies. It affects quality and creates detrimental workplace dynamics, because instead of just looking for the best person for the job they often are looking for "the best female for the job" or "the best minority candidate for the job" instead of just selecting based on skill and fit (i.e. the best person for the job). But who cares, right? Look at that ESG score!
The delusion is thinking that they ONLY hire on race/diversity.

Being a minority isn't some golden ticket lol.
You're not gonna hired anywhere if you can't produce quality work or don't get along with people.

The Alien

Banned
That $7.5 billion acquisition ain't lookin so hot.
Shortsighted or douche-ily sarcastic seeing as I'm doubtful the acquisition was centered around Redfall and Prey.

We can revisit this after Starfield, Elder Scrolls 8 , new Doom, new Fallout, new Wolfenstein, etc......all of which are great fits for XBox/MS and will easily make $ back and add multitudes of content to GamePass.

Gambit2483

This is what happens when the suits decide that the game MUST be made STRICTLY for the purpose of monetization.

Greed and monetization is going to lead to the death of Western game development. Just look at how they killed the Overwatch brand.

Stooky

Hair color, emo,soyboi makes you woke? You just described what majority of the public thinks a gamer looks like.

Stooky

What's delusional is thinking that quotas don't exist in this industry as they do in every industry, especially so with large companies. It affects quality and creates detrimental workplace dynamics, because instead of just looking for the best person for the job they often are looking for "the best female for the job" or "the best minority candidate for the job" instead of just selecting based on skill and fit (i.e. the best person for the job). But who cares, right? Look at that ESG score!
First of all that’s illegal. I have never seen that in this industry. I have seen where a game has a lead female protagonist they might think a women leading that project might offer some insight. That’s top level and very rare. You are talking about hiring artist, like me, we do the heavy lifting. In a very small industry, we don’t have the luxury hiring the way you describe. There is not enough people out there that can do the work. That’s why everyone is always hiring. They have to be able to produce quality work, easy to work withl, deliver work on time on million dollar plus project. And you’re saying game stuidos mandate there has to be a certain race and gender on top of that. That’s ridiculous. I’m telling you it’s not true.

Understand that you are talking about a male dominated industry since it started. Maybe in the last 10 years I have seen teams start to become more diverse. Mostly because women and minorities started sending in their portfolios. There was no mandate. Still vastly male dominated. I had been going to E3 since 2002 majority was white men next was Asian men. 2009 I would see sprinkle of minorities. It’s getting more diverse by year. Still majority dominated by men. no where near to the degree of what people hear trying to claim, to where it a derailed a project. Never heard of that in my entire career.

Last edited:
“and convincing some progressive or moderate video game developers to move to Texas could be difficult due to the state’s conservative social policies.”

Dunno why people have a hard time understanding when you have extremist policies you alienate people and make it hard for companies to find talent.

And yes you have extremists on both ends of the spectrum—you have Texas leadership that’s wanting to be Gilead 2.0, while you have states like Oregon wanting to be the political equivalent of a Montessori school and not tell anyone what to do.

Extremism sucks and it impacts procuring and maintaining talent. Shocker.

SenkiDala

Well, Microsoft managing a studio. Again.

- FASA Studio : closed.
- Ensemble Studios : closed.
- Bizarre Creations : closed.
- Lionhead Studios : closed.
- Bungie : sold.
- Digital ANVIL : closed.
- RARE : alive, but more like of ghost of what it was before.
- Press Play : closed.

Yeah that's so exciting to see MS buying all those studios, it always ended up so well.

But hey, Minecraft is doing well, so who cares.

Top Bottom