• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has a commanding lead in the “Netflix for Games” race

Sony is dumb for not following gamepass after 1 year it was on the market ..
Unfortunately the time frame doesn’t matter at all. Sony is to big to fail. I truthfully believe spartucus is gonna be horrible and in the first 24 hours they will have 50 percent of game pass subs.

reksveks

Unfortunately the time frame doesn’t matter at all. Sony is to big to fail. I truthfully believe spartucus is gonna be horrible and in the first 24 hours they will have 50 percent of game pass subs.
You are look at this wrong, it's not about the absolute number.

It's about
- growth in user names
- growth in arpu

If their network service revenue numbers don't grow then does it really change anything in the business sense. Yes, fanboys can claim now its 2x the numbers of GP but commercially it isn't changed anything.

sinnergy

I don’t think it will. See it as Tesla cars , they have big names link BMW, Audi, Volkswagen .. yet everyone association that electric cars are teslas .. or streaming is Netflixing .. Sony is pretty late with a gamepass solution ..

And on top of this , demographics, maybe the Sony fans are older, I see lots of posts against streaming and gamepass from them , they rather buy discs . 🤣

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
We saw how rapidly Disney could make up ground on Netflix so yeah. At the minute there is no viable alternative to Game Pass, the rest of the services are sub par.

reksveks

We saw how rapidly Disney could make up ground on Netflix so yeah. At the minute there is no viable alternative to Game Pass, the rest of the services are sub par.
A part of why Disney caught up globally was cause they just converted hotstar, a major service that they owned in India.

This kinda works in the short term for investors but it means very little if it doesn't continue to have the same growth.

Robb

Gold Member
Not surprising considering they’ve been going at it for several years. Competition is heating up though and I imagine their slice will get a lot smaller going forward, even if they’ll still have the largest slice.

Vognerful

It wouldnt’ really be “shittier” because it doesn’t have day one sony games.

If that were the criteria both services would be almost even considering microsoft only has two first party games scheduled to release this entire year.

If thte value is in the first party output what the hell kind of value has the service offered the last two years? 4 games?
Sorry but I don't deal with dillusional arguments

Try again when you are honest with yourself.

Drama Reaction GIF by WE tv

Fredrik

That will be a symbolic win , without effort , you guys okay with this ? I thought Sony fans always praise innovation ?
Does it matter? It’s just PR. As long as the service is great and have their first party games I don’t care if they add their world wide TV sales figures into the subscription count to boast about it being the fastest growing game subscription in the history.

Console warriors won’t like it though. But Microsoft include Xbox Gamepass, Xbox Gamepass for PC and Xbox Gamepass Ultimate in their figures. And could convert the Xbox Live Gold subscription into Gamepass if they want.

kingfey

Banned
If PS+ subs gets auto-converted to Spartacus subs they’ll actually have about 2x Gamepass subs in the first second.
Its still be the same as xbox live gold.

Unless Sony creates as a different tier, which you will have to pay separately.

Then there is the revenue part. Ps+ is still $60. There would have to a price increase. If not, then that would defeat alot of people's opinion, who keep screaming that gamepass is losing money. Because 50m ($60) subscribers brings almost the same amount of money as 25m gamepass ($10), in term of subscription fee.

It's funny how people try to predict what will happen. If predictions were right than console gaming would already be dead like so many kept saying years ago. Cloud gaming would be dominating and everybody would be gaming at the touch of a button on their TV and a console would no longer be needed. Finally the long sought after 2b gamers would be reached!

It's 2022 and this still isn't the case. Will it ever be? I can see subscription gaming being the future but imo cloud gaming won't take off for a long time yet.

Fredrik

Its still be the same as xbox live gold.

Unless Sony creates as a different tier, which you will have to pay separately.

Then there is the revenue part. Ps+ is still $60. There would have to a price increase. If not, then that would defeat alot of people's opinion, who keep screaming that gamepass is losing money. Because 50m ($60) subscribers brings almost the same amount of money as 25m gamepass ($10), in term of subscription fee.
It’s PR, they can add whatever they want to inflate the figures and still claim it’s Spartacus and boast about having the fastest growing gaming subscription service.

Think about it like this:
Xbox Live (Silver+Gold)
Playstation Family (PS4+PS4Pro+PS5DE+PS5)
Xbox Gamepass (Console+PC+Ultimate)
Xbox Series Consoles (XSS, XSX)
Nintendo Switch (Switch, Switch Lite, Switch OLED)
Etc

reksveks

the fastest growing gaming subscription service
Would it be the fastest growing or just largest?

Growth from 0 to 48m users?

The growth doesn't have to change especially in the 2nd quarter post release unless the service offers something that consumers want.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If Sony offers a good service they'll eat into that market share in no time at all. I bet Disney plus is doing really quite well.

Sony can do it too.

kingfey

Banned
If Sony offers a good service they'll eat into that market share in no time at all. I bet Disney plus is doing really quite well.

Sony can do it too.
Their biggest enemy is the marketing. Alot of good products from their side is lost, due to their bad marketing.
If they fix that, they will gain alot of users in no time.

Fredrik

Would it be the fastest growing or just largest?

Growth from 0 to 48m users?

The growth doesn't have to change especially in the 2nd quarter post release unless the service offers something that consumers want.
If they include PS+ in the lowest tier it should be the fastest growing.
Xbox Live sub count was estimated to be 100 mil in 2020, so Spartacus won’t be the biggest, yet.

Hezekiah

Banned
Thats not even taking into account other platforms gamepass is offered on like PC, where they have over 200m users.

So for the amount of people gamepass is available to only a fraction have bought into the “eco system” after 4+ years.
And there are still tons of promotions to build up the service.

Buy a PC component at Amazon and a bunch of other major retailers, and get three months of GamePass discounted which I've made use of twice this year already.

Not to mention all the discount codes you can get.

Thirty7ven

Banned
If Sony decides to eat the bullet and pack in PSNow with + then it’s done dotta.

I’m sure then will people cry foul, as if they cheated or something, but they could always do 1$ subs for extra sauce.

reksveks

If they include PS+ in the lowest tier it should be the fastest growing.
Xbox Live sub count was estimated to be 100 mil in 2020, so Spartacus won’t be the biggest, yet.
When you saying growing? Growing from what? 0? That's the crux of my question.

I think that xbox live number isn't really subs to live gold but users who also use the xbox live services from games like minecraft etc.

Thirty7ven

Banned

I think that xbox live number isn't really subs to live gold but users who also use the xbox live services from games like minecraft etc.

Of course, how would they even have 100 million Xbox live subscribers? 😂

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
I don't view Spartacus as a gamepass competitor, I just see this as a cumulation of the services they already have into one. Unless they drop 1st party games day one gamepass is still going to be the #1 service
That's nice, because even Sony internally views Spartacus as their "answer to Game Pass."

Also. It is "not comparable" because Spartacus will be probably worse? I mean, as a consumer I don't give damn about reasoning from Sony. If I see Game Pass Ultimate for 14,99$ vs. Spartacus second tier for 13$ or whatever, while first will give me option to stream my games if I want and also have first party catalogue day one vs. second service which don't have any of it, it is clear what will I choose.

It costs similar amount of money per month, it is literally same style of service (access to online + catalogue of games) so why can't we compare it? Because Sony decided to not include first party in their own service?

tusharngf

look at netlflix they are still not profitable after 12-14yrs of business. They are just raking debt and adding more content. Microsoft is different from Netflix and has money in the bank. They can easily run this service for next 20yrs without any issue. They are planning far ahead of time. We all know service-based subscription is the future. Everyone has started buying games digitally. I have subscribed to gamepass and got to play dragon quest 11 for a mere $1. I saved around 40 bucks which I would have spent on steam. MS has no big competition yet. They can lead the race easily. Sony on the other needs to jump into this asap. Nintendo can do all old games service and people will still buy their games. As a consumer I am happy that we are getting games on gamepass.

Lunarorbit

Xbox fans-do you have enough time to play every thing? Does it get overwhelming with so many choices?

Right now ive got tiny Tina, elden ring, horizon, and infernax as games I've played the last two months and my plate is so over full.

With Sony doing whatever with Spartacus I don't even know if I want more subscriptions. I haven't played a ps plus game in a bit

kingfey

Banned
Xbox fans-do you have enough time to play every thing? Does it get overwhelming with so many choices?

Right now ive got tiny Tina, elden ring, horizon, and infernax as games I've played the last two months and my plate is so over full.

With Sony doing whatever with Spartacus I don't even know if I want more subscriptions. I haven't played a ps plus game in a bit
The choices are too much. But thankfully, its all depend on your taste, and what you want.

reksveks

I do drop games alot but I don't worry about getting through games too much. I also don't really play games longer than 40 hrs unless it's a JRPG.

Swift_Star

Banned
look at netlflix they are still not profitable after 12-14yrs of business. They are just raking debt and adding more content. Microsoft is different from Netflix and has money in the bank. They can easily run this service for next 20yrs without any issue. They are planning far ahead of time. We all know service-based subscription is the future. Everyone has started buying games digitally. I have subscribed to gamepass and got to play dragon quest 11 for a mere $1. I saved around 40 bucks which I would have spent on steam. MS has no big competition yet. They can lead the race easily. Sony on the other needs to jump into this asap. Nintendo can do all old games service and people will still buy their games. As a consumer I am happy that we are getting games on gamepass.
People are buying Sony games more than never, so, no, they don’t need this.

reksveks

I didn’t say you said that, though? But look at the thread title lmao
Unfortunately journalists are either lazy or for some valid reasons don't want to use 'amazon prime video of gaming' in their tweets/articles.

I just have to ignore the simplistic comparisons the best I can or keep repeating why Netflix isn't a good comparison.

kingfey

Banned
As was said multiple times: Sony doesn’t want to become Netflix.
The industry is geared towards that way. Whether Sony wants or not, depends on their survivability.
We had arcade stores. They disappeared slowly once we got home consoles. We had theatre and movies. They are now slowly fading to background entertainment, because people are now streaming movies. Same thing is happening to shopping industry, because everyone is going e-comerce.
If companies had choice in these matter, Sears and blockbuster wouldnt have gone away. They would still be in business by now.

Swift_Star

Banned
The industry is geared towards that way. Whether Sony wants or not, depends on their survivability.
We had arcade stores. They disappeared slowly once we got home consoles. We had theatre and movies. They are now slowly fading to background entertainment, because people are now streaming movies. Same thing is happening to shopping industry, because everyone is going e-comerce.
If companies had choice in these matter, Sears and blockbuster wouldnt have gone away. They would still be in business by now.
Like I said before, Sony is going the disney+ route. Disney+ is not Netflix as it doesn’t include their biggest blockbusters day and date on their service and Sony will do exactly the same thing. They’ll get lots of sales on their game outside their subscription and dump them there once they stop selling well.
Sony is aiming to become Disney+, not Netflix. That’s not hard to see. It’s exactly their direction. Sony would have to be pretty stupid to put their games on any service day one.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Like I said before, Sony is going the disney+ route. Disney+ is not Netflix as it doesn’t include their biggest blockbusters day and date on their service and Sony will do exactly the same thing. They’ll get lots of sales on their game outside their subscription and dump them there once it stop selling well.
Sony is aiming to become Disney+, not Netflix. That’s not hard to see. It’s exactly their direction.
That is just delaying the inevitability.
The more gamepass keeps doing day1 games, and the more the subscriber numbers rise up, the more pressure Sony will have.
No one expected Sony to put their games on PC at all. They did it. Then they went a head a put God of war on PC. Their biggest hit game. Its a matter of time, before they cave in to the pressure.

Swift_Star

Banned
The more gamepass keeps doing day1 games, and the more the subscriber numbers rise up, the more pressure Sony will have.
No one expected Sony to put their games on PC at all. They did it. Then they went a head a put God of war on PC. Their biggest hit game. Its a matter of time, before they cave in to the pressure.
I don’t see Netflix putting and pressure on Disney+. Sorry, that’s not happening. PlayStation is the market leader, not the Xbox. You’ll soon say that ganepsss will put pressure on Nintendo which is extremely laughable. The only place where GP is putting pressure is in the fanboys wet dreams. Sony doesn’t need to pursue the devaluing games model, that GP is, neither does Nintendo.

Thirty7ven

Banned
People forget Xbox Live was the biggest thing in the world until it wasn't. Nobody batted an eye when it stopped either, it was just natural.

But hey if MS keeps buying customers and revenue, Xbox fanboys will get their wish of gaming being dominated by a mediocre company.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Growing from 0 to 48 mil yeah, they’ll 100% use that for PR reasons, just wait 😏

Microsoft used to include Silver and Gold in their XBL figures for the same reasons, until they stopped showing figures.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

They've been doing well in profits for years, not sure why people say that. LOL

Subscriber growth is slowing, sure.

MonarchJT

Banned
there is little to talk about ... if the service will be ps + with the add of the failing psnow (and also use the latter to allow you to try some demo of new games at the more expensive tier) it won't be anything exciting , honestly a disappointment and definitely won't compete with gamepass .... if they release their games on day one on the service I will buy a PS5 on the fly otherwise Sony can slip what they think are "premium" AAA games for 82 euros each one up their ***
I'll continue to play "not premium" Forza horizon 5 and all the rest AA with low MC rate on gp.

usuals still downplaying the Netflix model are becoming an insult to the brain cells

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I don’t see Netflix putting and pressure on Disney+. Sorry, that’s not happening. PlayStation is the market leader, not the Xbox. You’ll soon say that ganepsss will put pressure on Nintendo which is extremely laughable. The only place where GP is putting pressure is in the fanboys wet dreams. Sony doesn’t need to pursue the devaluing games model, that GP is, neither does Nintendo.
Disney literally made Disney+, because of Netflix. That is how Disney+ started.
Then they started charging money for their movies on the service, which people were pissed off.
You also dont devalue games. That is just plain false. Or else infinity war, end game and all the best movies in the world are shit.
Hell even Spiderman, God of War, last of us 2 were on psnow. Does that mean those games are shit, because they are on 3m service?

As long as you enable the purchase functionality on these services, you aren't devaluing your games.

God of war is the official game that managed to sell 20m on Ps systems only. It took 4 years to reach that milestone. On average, that is $40. It managed to get $800m in 4 years on a bigger platform. You can make that money from subscriptions service, which brings way more than that.

Swift_Star

Banned
Disney literally made Disney+, because of Netflix. That is how Disney+ started.
Then they started charging money for their movies on the service, which people were pissed off.
You also dont devalue games. That is just plain false. Or else infinity war, end game and all the best movies in the world are shit.
Hell even Spiderman, God of War, last of us 2 were on psnow. Does that mean those games are shit, because they are on 3m service?

As long as you enable the purchase functionality on these services, you aren't devaluing your games.

God of war is the official game that managed to sell 20m on Ps systems only. It took 4 years to reach that milestone. On average, that is $40. It managed to get $800m in 4 years on a bigger platform. You can make that money from subscriptions service, which brings way more than that.
Charlie Day Reaction GIF

DaGwaphics

Sony has a game subscription with around 50M subscribers.

They are competitors, and if Spartacus is real they will be even more similar: you pay a subscription to rent hundreds of console games playable, depending on each case via cloud gaming or downloadable, in multiple platforms.

When including Gold/Plus (GPU or Spartacus), they add the monthly games/PS Plus Collection, discounts and other perks. And PS Now would get -like GP- a cheaper tier without cloud gaming and available worldwide.

And well, adding the PS Plus subs means Spartacus will start with around 50M subs. Sony will continue dominating the game subscriptions market without needing to give away day one their games.

They can call PS+ Spartacus and have some numbers, sure. We'll see what the service does for their revenue numbers, that's where the real victories are. Renaming subscriptions you already had doesn't net you much in the way of gains.

kingfey

Banned
They can call PS+ Spartacus and have some numbers, sure. We'll see what the service does for their revenue numbers, that's where the real victories are. Renaming subscriptions you already had doesn't net you much in the way of gains.
$60 VS $120-$180 isn't the same.

They have a better advantage from mtx angle though.

Hezekiah

Banned
Let's see how steadily numbers rise when they increase the price, because it will have to sooner or later. Massive AAA games that cost hundreds of millions of dollars, available to access for chump change - that isn't sustainable regardless of what PR speak Phil Spencer comes out with.

Top Bottom