• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has control issues

Pelta88

QUOTE | "This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that. Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: 'How do we keep other players from playing these games?' We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games." – Spencer in October of 2020.
And remember how on the very day the acquisition was finalized, Spencer confirmed that Microsoft was absolutely going to make future Bethesda games exclusive to Xbox and PC?

QUOTE | "Now that everything is official, we can begin working together to deliver more great games to everyone… With the addition of the Bethesda creative teams, gamers should know that Xbox consoles, PC, and Game Pass will be the best place to experience new Bethesda games, including some new titles in the future that will be exclusive to Xbox and PC players." – Spencer in March of 2021.

Spencer might have regretted making things that obvious, as Microsoft's apparent backtracking became a point of contention during the extended regulatory review of Microsoft's Activision Blizzard acquisition.
So with the Activision Blizzard deal closing just a few weeks ago, it's a little surprising that we're already seeing some anti-consumer overtures from Microsoft.

Our main stream media has started to document the misrepresentations of XBOX's goals. Their statements in contrast to their actions.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
SiQUOTE | "This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that. Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: 'How do we keep other players from playing these games?' We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games." – Spencer in October of 2020.
And remember how on the very day the acquisition was finalized, Spencer confirmed that Microsoft was absolutely going to make future Bethesda games exclusive to Xbox and PC?

QUOTE | "Now that everything is official, we can begin working together to deliver more great games to everyone… With the addition of the Bethesda creative teams, gamers should know that Xbox consoles, PC, and Game Pass will be the best place to experience new Bethesda games, including some new titles in the future that will be exclusive to Xbox and PC players." – Spencer in March of 2021.

Spencer might have regretted making things that obvious, as Microsoft's apparent backtracking became a point of contention during the extended regulatory review of Microsoft's Activision Blizzard acquisition.
So with the Activision Blizzard deal closing just a few weeks ago, it's a little surprising that we're already seeing some anti-consumer overtures from Microsoft.

Our main stream media has started to document the misrepresentations of XBOX's goals. Their statements in contrast to their actions.

Jesus christ

Frustrated Headache GIF by Kelly Clarkson

Last edited:

A.Romero

His thinking is that the games will be more accessible through gamepass and he has mentioned that he is willing to put gamepass on their competitor's devices.

That of course is not the ideal route for their competitors and of course it's a stretch. If I was him I wouldn't bother trying to get the good will of people concerned with exclusivity, I'd say his priority is the perception of current consumers, if they're eating good then the rest will follow. Speeches like this just piss everyone off at this point.

That said I don't care. I'll play where the best games are. Best case scenario for consumers is having a tough time choosing because they are all excellent.

MMaRsu

Banned
Guys this isn't even about the Activision deal the article is about the unauthorised controller situation, hence the article title. The article just emphasises the fact that MS often say one thing then do the other.

They want to stop cheat devices that allow the user to operate a controller like a mouse or some shit. Fps players have been asking for this

If you apply for a liscence your controller will work

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

When OP realized the article isn't about what he thinks it is.

chapelle-show.gif

-

FYI for newcomers, there is a discussion about the unlicensed controllers going on in a dedicated topic:

Last edited:
Well everyone should know by now what Microsoft say in public is totally different to their true intentions. Its not an accident either. They intentionally do that. Pretty much everything they say is bullshit designed to make them look a certain way to the public. Want to know how they actually think? Look at everything that came out from the Activision acquisition.

Bry0

The documentation didn’t say “How do we keep other players from playing these games?” It said “how do we make sure only Xbox and pc players can play these games?”

See the difference guys? The words are different! DUH

MMaRsu

Banned
Been crying about ms since before you latched onto their nuts. Go play a game.
Ive not latched onto anything except console warriors going ham on this forum, looking sad as shit.

As a pc only player, i feel for you man. Must be hard to be a console only guy these days with corpo's fucking you left and right (ps price hikes, xbox controller issues).

Crayon

Ive not latched onto anything except console warriors going ham on this forum, looking sad as shit.

As a pc only player, i feel for you man. Must be hard to be a console only guy these days with corpo's fucking you left and right (ps price hikes, xbox controller issues).

Are you drunk why would you baselessly insult someone for only playing one thing, then volunteer that you only play one thing? I don't remember everyone who's in pc threads, either but why say something so easily refuted and self defeating.

Fredrik

Other than Sekiro, I never once bought any game from Activision or Blizzard so it make zero difference to me.
I’ve accepted for a long time that skipping one platform is impossible, they all own too many studios. So this deal never made any difference at all for me, except the bonus that I might actually get to play Activision Games without buying them if I continue to sub to Gamepass.

Sony should acquire more publishers too, and start doing day 1 PS+ releases so I could have a reason stay subbing there too, as it is I only use PS for 1st party exclusives and they don’t come that often right now, makes the platform feel expensive.

And everyone should release everything day 1 on Steam. It won’t kill any platform, it’ll just stop PC gamers from playing games where they normally wouldn’t play them.

I’ve accepted for a long time that skipping one platform is impossible, they all own too many studios. So this deal never made any difference at all for me, except the bonus that I might actually get to play Activision Games without buying them if I continue to sub to Gamepass.

Sony should acquire more publishers too, and start doing day 1 PS+ releases so I could have a reason stay subbing there too, as it is I only use PS for 1st party exclusives and they don’t come that often right now, makes the platform feel expensive.

And everyone should release everything day 1 on Steam. It won’t kill any platform, it’ll just stop PC gamers from playing games where they normally wouldn’t play them.

Dystopian nightmare fuel

Last edited:

Fredrik

Dystopian nightmare
Nah it’s the best sweet dream 🤗
I already have all platforms so the main difference with console exclusivities is that I use a different controller. But right now it’s also about if I have to buy the game or can download from a subscription library. And if I add PC into the mix it’s about having the game delayed or not. I want these differences removed. Best scenario would be if everything was multiplat but exclusivity can make the devs try harder so I’m okay with exclusivity if the negatives (delays) go away.

QUOTE | "This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that. Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: 'How do we keep other players from playing these games?' We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games." – Spencer in October of 2020.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
His thinking is that the games will be more accessible through gamepass
No, he was lying or the “oh not the primary goal of excluding PS players, just a sweet sweet side benefit… wink wink nudge nudge!” kind of mental excuse. You are proposing another “justification”, but no.

He was lying and it is fine (well not really, but…), the problem is the people that bought the lying for that acquisition and then bought it again for the latest one.
Then again even most of them go along with it more than buying it as it helps the brand…

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Microsoft is just like the rich and title kid. It's only at the dance because his parents have money. Total incompetence on their software front even if they make reasonable hardware. But anybody can do that. So I guess congratulations on not making a piece of shit hardware? At this point I continue to say that owning an Xbox is the least reasonable decision to make if you want to play games.

Wow you mean like any old corporation?

Golly what a surprise

Yea but Microsoft are another level. They always talking. How often do you hear sony or Nintendo execs say something? Meanwhile Phil spencer is doing PR every damn week. It's the shit they say too. Shit like Nintendo and Sony ain't the competition or trying to look like the Nice guys by saying how important sony and Nintendo are to the industry. Then we find out that they would acquire Nintendo given the chance and "spend sony out of business". Yeah every corporation are greedy and self serving but Microsoft are the cream of the crop when it comes to being a scummy corporation. Sony and Nintendo don't try to hide the way they are and play the nice consumer friendly corporation with fluffy bullshit PR every week.

Top Bottom