• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has control issues

nemiroff

Gold Member
I think OP needs a new hobby.
Nervous Season 6 GIF by Paramount+

Shut0wen

Are people really this dumb? Only exclusive so far has been starfield, the IP is exclusive to MS, the rest thats been released so far has been exclusive to gamepass, nintendo and sony arnt interested in gamepass being on there console, until that changes these games will be available, theres 100s of court papers of MS experessing its interest for gamepass being on sony, thing is ot wont be long until it happens, especially with next gen and game development being incredibly expensive

GHG

Wow, people really don't bother to read articles anymore do they? This is about their recent blocking of peripherals on the console:

At first glance this is "anti-consumer" in a way that's kind of inherent to console walled gardens. Microsoft made the Xbox and it wants a cut of any business done on the Xbox, so it's trying to lock out any companies that didn't pay up. That part at least is sort of familiar.

But where this is different is that Microsoft is doing this so late in the game, and without much in the way of warning. It looked the other way on these peripherals for the entirety of the Xbox One generation. The Xbox One has been discontinued for three years now, and Microsoft is only now going back to remove functionality, an act of vandalism on a console it can't even be bothered to sell any longer.

The Xbox Series X|S has been on the market for three years now, and Microsoft is only now getting around to locking it down after who knows how many companies have produced their own unlicensed controllers and who knows how many people have bought them unaware Microsoft would – or even could – sabotage them at any time.

On a selfish level, this bothers me because I had been planning to pick up Street Fighter 6 at some point, and I was planning on playing it with my old Xbox 360 Mad Catz FightStick customized with my favorite Marvel vs Capcom 2 characters. That FightStick is an officially licensed Microsoft product and Microsoft already got my money for it, but it won't work with the Series X|S because it was licensed for the Xbox 360, and Microsoft's embrace of backwards compatability never extended to the Xbox 360's peripherals. That's OK though; I just need an adapter like the Wingman XB2 converter from Brook.

It would be bad enough if this was being done just to force people to buy Microsoft's competing first-party product instead, but Microsoft doesn't actually offer a competing product. It would rather I spend hundreds of dollars on a new stick licensed for use on the Xbox Series X|S, even though the only reason the old one can't work is because Microsoft arbitrarily decided against it.

Ok, now that I've got that out of my system, let's talk about one of the more serious problems with this move against unauthorized controllers. It's hurting end users who are by definition Microsoft's customers, and when I say "hurting" them, in many cases I'm talking about significantly more than just making them buy a new controller.

The Quadstick is a game controller for quadriplegics, letting them control a joystick with their mouth and use a mouthpiece, lip switch, or sip/puff straw to push buttons. It's also an unauthorized accessory that relies on other unauthorized accessories to work with Xbox consoles.

The stuff about the Bethesda acquisition is used as a preface for the article due to it being an example of their rampant hypocrisy.

But I guess a few servings of free gamepass can be a hell of a drug.

Last edited:

BlackTron

They want to stop cheat devices that allow the user to operate a controller like a mouse or some shit. Fps players have been asking for this

If you apply for a liscence your controller will work
If you read the article it says it may even have no effect on those devices since they require an official controller to work. It's a good read.

Oh dammit. That was the only good thing about this and I was actually kind of happy about it.

The devices let you use a mouse while the system thinks you are using a controller. So you get the best of both worlds, mouse aim AND controller aim assist. And since all these FPS games are cross-play, and PC versions have controller support with the same aim assist, there's really no getting away from the problem. Would be nice if they found some way to brick every XIM out there.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

it's a little surprising that we're already seeing some anti-consumer overtures from Microsoft.
No, it's not surprising to vast majority of people - Microsoft lied through their teeth as much as they could without being held to anything legally. Once again: every single time an exec says something like "in my opinion, I feel, I think" they do this not to be liable for further decisions. Unless it's in SEC filling you should not trust anything that comes from Microsoft's mouth.

Was the idea to always buy Bethesda and make all their games exclusive?

Hell Yeah Yes GIF

Last edited:

King Dazzar

But where this is different is that Microsoft is doing this so late in the game, and without much in the way of warning. It looked the other way on these peripherals for the entirety of the Xbox One generation. The Xbox One has been discontinued for three years now, and Microsoft is only now going back to remove functionality, an act of vandalism on a console it can't even be bothered to sell any longer.

The Xbox Series X|S has been on the market for three years now, and Microsoft is only now getting around to locking it down after who knows how many companies have produced their own unlicensed controllers and who knows how many people have bought them unaware Microsoft would – or even could – sabotage them at any time.
This is one of the key points I tried to make in the other thread about all of this. Dont suddenly enforce this change 3 years in and not expect consumers to be pissed and have others tell me this has been well managed.

MMaRsu

Banned
Are you drunk why would you baselessly insult someone for only playing one thing, then volunteer that you only play one thing? I don't remember everyone who's in pc threads, either but why say something so easily refuted and self defeating.

Huh? Where did I insult you? I said it must suck as a console only player with corpo's fucking you.

Going off your hatred fueled post against MS.

How is that an insult? A slight jab in jest, sure but insult?

Last edited:

Orbital2060

QUOTE | "This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that. Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: 'How do we keep other players from playing these games?' We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games." – Spencer in October of 2020.
And remember how on the very day the acquisition was finalized, Spencer confirmed that Microsoft was absolutely going to make future Bethesda games exclusive to Xbox and PC?

QUOTE | "Now that everything is official, we can begin working together to deliver more great games to everyone… With the addition of the Bethesda creative teams, gamers should know that Xbox consoles, PC, and Game Pass will be the best place to experience new Bethesda games, including some new titles in the future that will be exclusive to Xbox and PC players." – Spencer in March of 2021.

Spencer might have regretted making things that obvious, as Microsoft's apparent backtracking became a point of contention during the extended regulatory review of Microsoft's Activision Blizzard acquisition.
So with the Activision Blizzard deal closing just a few weeks ago, it's a little surprising that we're already seeing some anti-consumer overtures from Microsoft.

Our main stream media has started to document the misrepresentations of XBOX's goals. Their statements in contrast to their actions.
img_1949fdceo.gif

Killjoy-NL

His thinking is that the games will be more accessible through gamepass and he has mentioned that he is willing to put gamepass on their competitor's devices.
Ofcourse he is willing to. GamePass has no future without Playstation and Nintendo installbases.

They already hit a ceiling and with most subs on Xbox, PC clearly isn't enough to push subs much further.
Mobile market also won't do much.

The Xbox 3rd party future.

(But that will create other problems though, because getting games on GamePass in that hypothetical situation would drastically increase prices for GamePass deals with publishers)

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Wow, people really don't bother to read articles anymore do they? This is about their recent blocking of peripherals on the console:

The stuff about the Bethesda acquisition is used as a preface for the article due to it being an example of their rampant hypocrisy.

Unfortunately, most users will continue to ignore this and just bicker back forth (or blindly defend Microsoft).

A simple skim of the article would have been enough! :pie_roffles:

Roxkis_ii

I would say this is a MS mask off moment, but that would be an indication that they had to wear a mask in the first place. No need to hide when your fan base would cheer regardless.

Fun times ahead.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
QUOTE | "This deal was not done to take games away from another player base like that. Nowhere in the documentation that we put together was: 'How do we keep other players from playing these games?' We want more people to be able to play games, not fewer people to be able to go play games." – Spencer in October of 2020.
And remember how on the very day the acquisition was finalized, Spencer confirmed that Microsoft was absolutely going to make future Bethesda games exclusive to Xbox and PC?

QUOTE | "Now that everything is official, we can begin working together to deliver more great games to everyone… With the addition of the Bethesda creative teams, gamers should know that Xbox consoles, PC, and Game Pass will be the best place to experience new Bethesda games, including some new titles in the future that will be exclusive to Xbox and PC players." – Spencer in March of 2021.

Spencer might have regretted making things that obvious, as Microsoft's apparent backtracking became a point of contention during the extended regulatory review of Microsoft's Activision Blizzard acquisition.
So with the Activision Blizzard deal closing just a few weeks ago, it's a little surprising that we're already seeing some anti-consumer overtures from Microsoft.

Our main stream media has started to document the misrepresentations of XBOX's goals. Their statements in contrast to their actions.
People are still crying about this?
I mean, it was always said "case by case basis"

Deathloop - PS5 timed exclusive
GhostWire: Tokyo - PS5 timed exclusive
Quake Remastered - multiplat
Hi-Fi Rush - Xbox console exclusive
Redfall - Xbox console exclusive
Quake Remastered II - multiplat
Starfield - Xbox console exclusive

Isn't that literal definition of "case by case?"

But whatever. I think that Microsoft would be happiest company in the world if exclusives in gaming space would not exist and if entire fight was about services. But that's clearly not the game competition is willing to play, so they know that they need first-party exclusive games because competition have them too.
But I doubt Microsoft would deny if Sony said "we will allow Game Pass on PlayStation if you port your first-party games on PlayStation."

I'm not personally affected Microsoft's acquisitions as I don't play Bethesda or ABK games, so the points below are how I feel and would apply equally to any company buying a multiplat publisher:

The buyer can do what they want with the IP and that's fine.

I consider it really shitty practice to take multiplat series away from gamers who have come to reasonably expect them released on the platforms they own.

Don't claim your intention isn't to take existing series or in development games away from a platform and then go and do exactly that. Just be honest. That's bullshit and anyone with anyone with any sense will think it.

I think Xbox leadership have been lying, disingenuous cunts and if Sony or Nintendo pull the same shit then I'll have the same opinion of them.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I feel bad for the disabled players who dropped hundreds on a specialized controller to enjoy games - but are being told years later that they won’t be able to use it. Especially with Microsoft knowing about the Quadstick and being totally cool with it before.

Microsoft employees being blindsided by the news tells me this is another stupid decision by someone in management.

I get that they’re getting rid of devices that allow people to cheat. It should be a case by case basis. Doing it mid gen was also a dumb idea.

graywolf323

yep the stuff about the Quadstick likely being broken by this and yet you see people in here acting like this isn’t a big deal because it doesn’t effect them

just proves that Xbox is about the PR and nothing else, the adaptive controller was touted by these same users saying that those that need something even more specialized (the Quadstick) can fuck off from Xbox

and you know exactly which users would be in here hand waving this before you even have to open the thread….

Ev1L AuRoN

I mean, that is what you guys wanted, right?
Between Microsoft buying out the industry and Sony showing signs of a strong woke agenda in their content, I'll happily take refugee on Nintendo's camp. And I count on Gaben to keep providing me with quality content to satiate my thirsty for bleeding-edge tech experiences.

Crayon

Huh? Where did I insult you? I said it must suck as a console only player with corpo's fucking you.

Going off your hatred fueled post against MS.

How is that an insult? A slight jab in jest, sure but insult?

Okay but as a pc gamer you know that tons of people have a big distaste for ms outside of console context. I'm one and I will be dropping in for random slander here and there. I'm not unreasonable, though. The controller thing for instance is a nothingburger imo. New console, new controller. They changed the policy midway which is just a little weird but whatever. The new controller comes in the box.

As far as insults, you did rope me in for a blanket declaration of crybabies, and then implicating me as being stuck on consoles like I'm having some kind of fit. That said, I get cranky and I'm feeling better this morning so sorry for letting myself get so riled. I've been called worse and I'd opf course prefer to let it roll off my back.

Kiraly

I have noticed how people latch onto even the most trivial of news when it comes to Microsoft. See the gamepass for Microsoft employees thread, and yet price hikes, charging for a console stand, CEO’s leaving and long time PlayStation employees being fired/walking out and it’s hardly mentioned.

It's just par for the course. For how they love to talk about the Xbox fanbase blindly defending Microsoft, these frothing at the mouth fools constantly lose it over the most menial things.

IDappa

It's just par for the course. For how they love to talk about the Xbox fanbase blindly defending Microsoft, these frothing at the mouth fools constantly lose it over the most menial things.
I’m all for calling companies out for their shit and Microsoft definitely aren’t saints, But The double standards and disingenuous arguments just really irritate me.

REDRZA MWS

Activision Blizzard and Bethesda are MS OWNED COMPANIES. Get over it. They can keep their own games exclusive if they choose. This is a business. Sony doesn’t put GoW, GT, Spiderman on Xbox consoles. I guess that makes them anti consumer?

No, it doesn’t. If I want to play PlayStation exclusives, I buy a PlayStation. Nintendo exclusives? Need Nintendo’s console. MS does it, it’s anti consumer ? Yes, they bought these publishers and their IP’s. Sony does it too. Its BUSINESS. Buy an Xbox if they release their own exclusives on their own console if you want to play them. This is fucking ridiculous crybaby level shit.

Last edited:

RGB'D

I mean this has been obvious since day one OP…MS are scumbags, always have been. In other news water is wet.
*PS and Nintendo are also scumbags. But sure... it's just MS. Love those PS price raises and Nintendo definitely lowers game prices eventually... eventually... I thinkni just paid 70$ for a WiiU game.

Gojiira

*PS and Nintendo are also scumbags. But sure... it's just MS. Love those PS price raises and Nintendo definitely lowers game prices eventually... eventually... I thinkni just paid 70$ for a WiiU game.
If you say so, Im not sure either of them actively try to harm the industry quite like MS though but you do you lol

Top Bottom