• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is increasing the price of Xbox Series X and Xbox Game Pass

Varteras

Gold Member
Shark Tank Kevin GIF by ABC Network

They released a Switch Seires X pro?

Remember, I bought it 3 times. That's right. Three times I bought it, realized I wouldn't use it, got rid of it, and bought it again a year later. Did that multiple times...

I'm not proud

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
True.

If we compare annual prices, then Game Pass Ultimate costs $204 per year, while PS+ Premium costs $120 per year. That means Game Pass Ultimate is now 70% more expensive than PS Plus!

And yet most video game podcasters and media members want Sony to treat PS+ Premium to be exactly like Game Pass. Even though it's now 70% cheaper per year.

dulleyes

Banned
Fuck inflation. They gave us shit drops and they' expect to raise the price like that.
Hes Right GIF by MOODMAN

A generation that is akin to a draught in quality AAA First Party games and they thought a price hike was justified.

Oh well, everything is getting expensive. Why am I even surprised?

Last edited:

Nydius

Random thoughts around this issue while sitting on the thinking throne :LOL::

I think the next logical step we’ll see with regards to Xbox’s subscription systems is the consolidation of “Xbox Live Gold” into a “Game Pass Core”. Similar to how PS+ has Essential/Extra/Premium.

There’s really no need to keep XBL Gold as a stand-alone option anymore, and if they turn it into something like Game Pass Core, they could also abandon the practice of monthly “free” games (which, honestly, have been lacking of late) because they can simply point to the entirety of the Game Pass library.

It would also address the prior point I made about them eventually ending the Gold to Game Pass upgrade loophole.

We shall see, but I imagine it’s likely being discussed around Xbox.

You get stuck there on your way through. You don't choose them.

Off topic but that’s how I feel about where we ended up in Oklahoma. We landed here after our clusterfuck of a 2020 saw us lose almost everything. I don’t want to spend the rest of my life here but we can’t afford to live anywhere else. Sucks.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Im good.
Will buy and cancel as needed.

All i can remember is being shocked people were ok paying for XBL back in the day. Here we are now paying for online services. Sony & Nintendo eventually caved. Here we are....

I despise the fact that they force us to pay just to be able to play online games.

I don't have any interest in the "free monthly games" nor do I want GamePass! For people like me we shouldn't have to pay just to play games we already paid for!

You'd think that MS and Sony would've abolished this online tax now that they have people paying for ps plus/gamepass (which DO offer value but not everyone wants or needs it).

These companies continue to break my expectations in negative ways. They're so Slimy and greedy and stingy and deceitful. I need to switch to PC!

Banjo64

cumsessed
"hahahaha we will be good mr government we promise and also that guy calling 911 melts beams on neogaf has a 14 inch peepee"

-Bill Gates
Do you even realise how preposterously massive that would make your dong?

OIP.77cVFcpoL-tjMfNEfPWwRwHaFj

Your knob would be as long as the hair on the left?

What are you even going to use it for (if the blood rushing to it doesn’t make you pass out)?

The only woman you’d be able to fornicate with would need a skip sized vagina.

Last edited:

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Has ANY gaming ceo/company lied and pivoted as much as Phil Spencer and MS?

I don't think so. Everything that comes out of his mouth is PR or flat out lies.

I don't even care in this case because I don't subscribe to GP and I knew this would happen but God damn, it would be nice to not have to deal with constant lies and fuckery from both Sony and Microsoft!

Varteras

Gold Member
Off topic but that’s how I feel about where we ended up in Oklahoma. We landed here after our clusterfuck of a 2020 saw us lose almost everything. I don’t want to spend the rest of my life here but we can’t afford to live anywhere else. Sucks.

Buddy of mine lives in Vegas. Pays, I think, $1,500 a month. For a small apartment. Where I live, for that kind of money, I could pay for my own decent sized house and own it within 4 years. But rent in my area went up about 50% two years ago and isn't going down. $400 a month apartments were a dime a dozen. Now? You find something below $600 and it's either a shit hole or you waste no time and sign. I live in Ohio. Not the worst place but not exciting either. These days, everyone goes to bed at 10pm and clubs are things we tell stories about when they existed.

feynoob

Banjo64

cumsessed
Alot.
The value they brings is too cheap for the current price.
If they weren’t so keen on world domination they could have kept the scale small and used it as a platform to promote indies, AA games and they could have kept 5-10 reasonably sized, well-managed studios like Double Fine to improve their reputation.

As it is they’ve become a bloated mismanaged mess and now we have to pick up the tab for their greed.

feynoob

If they weren’t so keen on world domination they could have kept the scale small and used it as a platform to promote indies, AA games and they could have kept 5-10 reasonably sized, well-managed studios like Double Fine to improve their reputation.

As it is they’ve become a bloated mismanaged mess and now we have to pick up the tab for their greed.
One of the reason why I don't simp for these companies.
One day they act as your friend, being nice to you and give you good deals. The next day, they act like this shit and punch you where it hurts.

feynoob

Like what kind of numbers, because I have no idea
With current pricing, that is around $450m a year losses.
But with this new pricing, they gain $450m extra a year.
25m*1.5((1+2)/2 average monthly increase price)=450m a year.

That is the money they will miss out if they don't increase the price.

Eotheod

It's shit that both Sony and Microsoft have increased their consoles and digital services. Especially when the actual cost to produce has likely not gone up that much. I hope everyone stops buying either console to show these companies that these price increases are not accepted.

Right...?
It’s almost like Microsoft has a history of fucking over the consumer once they control a market.
Didn't Sony increase their prices first?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
People who have been warning us for years that MS was set to raise prices to $25 still manage to lose their shit on a $2 price increase.

It does seem odd (read: poor timing) they’re doing this before any heavy hitters land, and right after Redfall, but it’s not exactly the end of the world.

Has ANY gaming ceo/company lied and pivoted as much as Phil Spencer and MS?

I don't think so. Everything that comes out of his mouth is PR or flat out lies.

I don't even care in this case because I don't subscribe to GP and I knew this would happen but God damn, it would be nice to not have to deal with constant lies and fuckery from both Sony and Microsoft!

Phil: “we don’t plan to raise xbox prices at this point. We don’t think it’s the right thing to do now, but we’ll continue to evaluate this decision”

* Raises prices 8 months later *

Gamers: “Liar! You promised you would NEVER raise console prices”

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Phil: “we don’t plan to raise xbox prices at this point. We don’t think it’s the right thing to do now, but we’ll continue to evaluate this decision”

* Raises prices 8 months later *

Gamers: “Liar! You promised you would NEVER raise console prices”

Bruh, people still bust out Aaron Greenberg quotes from 3, 4 years old. There's no time limit to vengeance :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom