• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is starting to get me pissed (Elite Series 2)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I’ve gone through 5 elite controllers counting 2 repairs. Fuck Microsoft and their hardware quality. At least the last repair was free.
Their quality isnt great for sure

Should look at the Razer Wolv Ultimate the problem being they are wired but I havent had near the quality control issues with their controllers VS the elites

bender

What time is it?
I had issues with the paddle buttons on my Series 1. Warranty length is only 90 days (I think they changed this for Series 2 for 1 year) but they should really give you an option to extend the warranty.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
the things with controllers is wear and tear as its movable parts and buttons. things can go wrong unfortunately
Pretty much. I've been lucky with no stick drift on any controller I owned, but wear and tear are par for the course.

A measly 3-month warranty on an expensive product is pretty sketch though.

most electrical products just get a 12 month warranty though so 3 years is pretty good

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
the things with controllers is wear and tear as its movable parts and buttons. things can go wrong unfortunately

most electrical products just get a 12 month warranty though so 3 years is pretty good
I thought you had to purchase the 3 year extension?

I just Googled, it used to be 3 months at launch, but they extended it to 1 year during the class action lawsuit. So yeah, even the warranty did not spell confidence since some on the first page said theirs crapped out after 3 months, unironically.

Usually, 1 year is standard on modern electronics, especially high-end priced ones.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Lol. No it's not free and currently if you go through their online system it does not even let you select the controller itself as having the issue.

Derp GIF by 43 Clicks North

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Pretty much. I've been lucky with no stick drift on any controller I owned, but wear and tear are par for the course.

A measly 3-month warranty on an expensive product is pretty sketch though.

I thought you had to purchase the 3 year extension?

I just Googled, it used to be 3 months at launch, but they extended it to 1 year during the class action lawsuit. So yeah, even the warranty did not spell confidence since some on the first page said theirs crapped out after 3 months, unironically.

Usually, 1 year is standard on modern electronics, especially high-end priced ones.
my mistake thought you said three year warranty. 3 month is awful but in the uk it has to be 12 months on electronic goods

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I bet you didn't actually try to go through that otherwise you wouldn't have linked me to it. That's what I did.

sarcastic sarcasm GIF
Yeah I just googled it like a normal person. You know like you would do if you had a problem instead of trying to gotcha someone.

sainraja

Yeah I just googled it like a normal person. You know like you would do if you had a problem instead of trying to gotcha someone.
Lol what? I did exactly that and wasn't asking anyone to "Google" for me. I need my controller's button fixed and your buddy was saying we can get that done and so I tried it.

Conclusion, It's not free to get your controller replaced as I just tried it and shared my experience of doing that (which got you triggered lol) and if you can show me how to get it done for free, I'd be glad to be proven wrong since I do need mine serviced and hopefully replaced for FREE as being advertised by the person you are here in defense of; the reason I looked into it to begin with.

And what in the world were you responding to if that is what you think I was doing lol? AND for next time, before you try to "gotcha" someone, try using the thing you are doing your "gotcha" with.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
it really sounds like you should invest in another type of controller.

I don't know the xbox controller brands but there must be good alternatives to it, if the darn thing keeps having problems, it's a build quality problem, stop rewarding them by buying more of them.

It's a bit like that fool me once saying,

Hit them were it hurts,

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Yeah, it’s fucking bang out of order that a premium product has such shit quality assurance.

My first v2 had the A button that wouldn’t register, my replacement has been brilliant so far (owned and used heavily for 16 months).

I’m waiting for the day when the bumpers will snap or something though, there’s a lot of common issues.

It’s sadly the same for SCUF. Premium price, awful quality.

Banjo64

cumsessed
it really sounds like you should invest in another type of controller.

I don't know the xbox controller brands but there must be good alternatives to it, if the darn thing keeps having problems, it's a build quality problem, stop rewarding them by buying more of them.

It's a bit like that fool me once saying,

Hit them were it hurts,
Sadly there is nothing comparable controller wise to the Elite series (if you get a working one).

Although I would definitely recommend the newest 8bitdo Pro Plus with the 2 back buttons if you want something cheap with great build quality.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sadly there is nothing comparable controller wise to the Elite series (if you get a working one).

Although I would definitely recommend the newest 8bitdo Pro Plus with the 2 back buttons if you want something cheap with great build quality.
These aren't comparable?

Banjo64

cumsessed
These aren't comparable?

No. SCUF just use the standard plastic controller shell, build materials are nowhere near as good as the Elite. Also, don’t think they have hair lock triggers or hot-swappable dpads/analogue sticks but could be wrong on that.

Also, the quality issues with SCUF pads are just as numerous as the Elite with even shittier customer service (in the UK at least).

GriffinCorp

I've decided that I want to try and nail down a Halo Series 2 Elite Controller but reading about all these problems has me hesitating. Is the general consensus that these controllers are worse than the regular/ standard Xbox Series X controllers? I have never had a controller fail me from OG Xbox, 360, One, Series X. I thought that these controllers were built differently with higher end components but it's not sounding like it. $200 is a decent jump from the normal $70 controller and I would expect it to last decades, like my others.

sainraja

Lol what? I did exactly that and wasn't asking anyone to "Google" for me. I need my controller's button fixed and your buddy was saying we can get that done and so I tried it.

Conclusion, It's not free to get your controller replaced as I just tried it and shared my experience of doing that (which got you triggered lol) and if you can show me how to get it done for free, I'd be glad to be proven wrong since I do need mine serviced and hopefully replaced for FREE as being advertised by the person you are here in defense of; the reason I looked into it to begin with.

And what in the world were you responding to if that is what you think I was doing lol? AND for next time, before you try to "gotcha" someone, try using the thing you are doing your "gotcha" with.
Cost of getting the controller repaired is $99. I really wish it was free and mine is out of warranty too.

my elite 1 is such a piece of junk. But that said, the repair kit thingy was ony $17 and i've always managed to fix all the various issues i've had.

its a damn frankenstein rn. But it works and its the best controller despite its quality

sainraja

my elite 1 is such a piece of junk. But that said, the repair kit thingy was ony $17 and i've always managed to fix all the various issues i've had.

its a damn frankenstein rn. But it works and its the best controller despite its quality
Was it a third-party repair kit or was it officially through Microsoft? What did you need to fix and where can I order that from?

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I pictured two MS employees sneaking in at night while you sleep and dosing you small amounts of alcohol through a tube:

Microsoft employee: *whispering* "I think we're starting to get him pissed" *the other guy gives a thumbs up*

Kuranghi

I have over 2500 hours on my Elite Series 1, it had the grip peeling issue so I replaced the grips, it's been fine ever since.

I now have more hours on my Series 2 controller than the Series 1 and it still feels like a new controller to the point I'm wondering if my brother hasn't been replacing it annually.

It's bananas how much the build quality fluctuates on these things but if you get a good one it's really good.

How do you know how many hours you've done on it? Does it keep track?!

Spaceman292

Banned
I really like the elite elite series 2 controller.
I have owned two so that I can switch between them whenever the batteries get low in one.
However, I’ve had to replace three of them now.
The first one had an A button that would just not register presses. The second one had stick drift. To make matters worse, it was out of warranty and I had to pay like $120 to get ms to replace it.
The third one the Y button was working intermittently.

Now I’m waiting for the third replacement and it seems to be lost in the mail. It was supposed to be 3 day select. Last scan was on December 18th and the only info I can get from the app is that it’s delayed. We’ll, obviously. Where the fuck is it??

Who do I contact and how to find it?
Contact your bank and see if they'll stop you from blowing money on this garbage.

BlackTron

I'm a controller whore always on the lookout for that holy grail perfect controller so I would buy one of these if it didn't have so many problems.

I held off on v1 because I thought maybe v2 would tighten it up. Appears things are the same or worse.

"Elite" my ass.

cireza

For people that mash buttons to the point of destroying their controllers.
For people that push the joysticks with so much strength that it drifts after a couple weeks.
For people who that have difficulties charging a battery.

I recommend a PowerA controller :
powera-xbox-one-enhanced-wired-controller.jpg

It is resistant. It is wired. It is inexpensive. It works. And it feels pretty good quality.
Even my son can use it and I don't have to change it after a month.

Excess

I wish people would stop making these threads as if their experience is a reflection of overall quality. Every time I read one, either people experience issues, some, or none, so this clearly seems to be an issue with usage. Controllers should be treated as a "wear" item. In the automotive industry, this would be akin to something like brake pads or tires. This is why the warranty is usually so short on controllers.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I'm a controller whore always on the lookout for that holy grail perfect controller so I would buy one of these if it didn't have so many problems.

I held off on v1 because I thought maybe v2 would tighten it up. Appears things are the same or worse.

"Elite" my ass.
Not buying one because you might have problems is dumb. It’s the best controller on the market. Microsoft fix them for free anyway.

For people that push the joysticks with so much strength that it drifts after a couple weeks.

It is resistant. It is wired. It is inexpensive. It works. And it feels pretty good quality.
How are the dead zones on those controllers? Wouldn’t get them myself but like you said, might be good for a kid.

I’m very careful with my controllers but the xbox one controller is just built like crap period with its sticky buttons. The 2 or 3 I bought were returned asap

Last edited:
Mine has a flaky A button. I'm wondering how long this thing is going to last.

Really hope the Steam Deck doesn't have similar issues.

Last edited:

Beechos

For real i dont know what controllers people use then. Joys cons/drift, dualsense/broken triggers, dualshock/rubber wearing out on control sticks, xbox one/unresponsive buttons are some that ive seen so far. Luckily i havent encountered any of this. Besides for the switch one with the class action i dont think any of the other controller issues generated anything. Are these problems exaggerated? I cant imagine someone going through like 5 controllers and always finding something wrong. It reminds me of people with ocd who buy tvs and keep exhanging them hoping to win the panel lottery/counting for dead pixels.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
The only reason I would buy this controller is literally to solve problems with other controllers.
Ok? It’s the best controller on the market and an absolute essential for online fos/dual stick control games. I can’t even imagine trying to play halo infinite or doom eternal without one.

Who cares if it might break one day? It probably won’t. If it does just send it to ms to fix.

Mine has a flaky A button. I'm wondering how long this thing is going to last.

Really hope the Steam Deck doesn't have similar issues.
Get it exchanged or fixed for free then…..

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
Honestly a lot of orders are getting pushed back, delayed because of the shipping crisis + covid.

Sucks about controllers breaking, I never used the elite but I’ve heard the first one has been superior in build quality and how long it lasts.

Was it a third-party repair kit or was it officially through Microsoft? What did you need to fix and where can I order that from?
i might've gotten off ebay tbh. Originally my problem with the bumpers broke. I fixed that. the rubber grips came off. the rubber on the thumbsticks came off. i had stick drift. and some other stuff. i've managed to get it back in working condition everytime. the repair thing came with extra bumpers, thumbstick caps, tools, extra parts etc.

Poppyseed

I have owned two so that I can switch between them whenever the batteries get low in one.
The first one had an A button that would just not register presses. The second one had stick drift. To make matters worse, it was out of warranty and I had to pay like $120 to get ms to replace it.

Now I’m waiting for the third replacement and it seems to be lost in the mail. It was supposed to be 3 day select. Last scan was on December 18th and the only info I can get from the app is that it’s delayed. We’ll, obviously. Where the fuck is it??

I finally ditched my two completely after four replacements. It just got silly…

How do you know how many hours you've done on it? Does it keep track?!

No they don't, I just keep track of all my play time on PC though Steam and the Xbox app. I use a basic Xbone controller if I even do use the console. I take total time and subtract time for idle time and for times I'd have used the keyboard. 2500 hours is a rough estimate that's really on the low end. I put over 2000 hours into Fallout 4 working on mods and that was entirely using the Series 1. I have a lot of games with over 300 hours of gameplay in them.

I've had 3 all with faulty A buttons. The third one was a replacement from Microsoft and the A button is even worse and the RB button only works about 10% of the time

The elite controller feels premium in build but for some reason they dont last. After my first two I was done. I really just wanted the paddles so I got those Power A controllers on Amazon. Tired of shelling out $175 for controllers on the illusion of "Premium". Power As are amazing escpecially for the price. Only downside no trigger rumble.

Last edited:

Aenima

my mistake thought you said three year warranty. 3 month is awful but in the uk it has to be 12 months on electronic goods
UK warranty is still bad when the rest of european countries has a 2 year warranty for all electronic products and in my country they are extending it to 3 year warranty for some electronics.
3 month warranty is just shitting on consumers.

UK warranty is still bad when the rest of european countries has a 2 year warranty for all electronic products and in my country they are extending it to 3 year warranty for some electronics.
3 month warranty is just shitting on consumers.
But only 6 months of the the two-year legal guarantee are actually useful:

Manufacturer's warranty is much better. Microsoft has 2 years in Europe.

Aenima

But only 6 months of the the two-year legal guarantee are actually useful:

Manufacturer's warranty is much better. Microsoft has 2 years in Europe.
All eletronic manufactors has a 2 year warranty here (minimum). That 6 month period is just the warranty the retail sellers give you, but your electronic product still has a 2 year warranty, after the 6 months instead of the retailer you just have to contact Sony, MS, Nintendo, etc for a free repair.

When my PS3 broke i contacted Sony, not the store i bought it and they repaired it for free.

All eletronic manufactors has a 2 year warranty here (minimum). That 6 month period is just the warranty the retail sellers give you, but your electronic product still has a 2 year warranty, after the 6 months instead of the retailer you just have to contact Sony, MS, Nintendo, etc for a free repair.

When my PS3 broke i contacted Sony, not the store i bought it and they repaired it for free.
Manufactorer's warranty is voluntarily. Sony gives 1 year in Europe. If you contact Sony in Europe after a year because your PS5 is broken, they will give you a "Fuck you" and the retailer will give you that fuck you already after 6 months.

Last edited:

Aenima

Manufactorer's warranty is voluntarily. Sony gives 1 year in Europe. If you contact Sony in Europe after a year because your PS5 is broken, they will give you a "Fuck you" and the retailer will give you that fuck you already after 6 months.
Thats wrong. All sony products in my country has a 2 year warranty. During the 1st 2 years you can contact Sony and it will be repaired for free. By the way, Europe and European Union are diferent things. If your country is a members of the EU then it has a 2 years warranty, if its outside the EU like UK, Switzerland, etc, the warranty is 1 year.

Last edited:
Thats wrong. All sony products in my country has a 2 year warranty. During the 1st 2 years you can contact Sony and it will be repaired for free.
"SIEE guarantees that this Product is free from defects in materials and workmanship that result in Product failure during normal usage in accordance with the terms set out below and will, for a period of 1 (one) year from the date of original purchase"

Last edited:

Aenima

"SIEE guarantees that this Product is free from defects in materials and workmanship that result in Product failure during normal usage in accordance with the terms set out below and will, for a period of 1 (one) year from the date of original purchase"

Pretty sure inside European Union Countries the warranty is 2 years, because thats the warranty Sony gives in Portugal. And thats why UK, and european country outside of the UE only has 1 year.

Its in Portuguese, but Dois Anos means Two Years.

oJECiqR.png

Pretty sure inside European Union Countries the warranty is 2 years, because thats the warranty Sony gives in Portugal. And thats why UK, and european country outside of the UE only has 1 year.

Its in Portuguese, but Dois Anos means Two Years.

oJECiqR.png

My linked PDF is directly from PlayStation.com. ES, DE, FR and so on are all in the EU and only have 1 year.

Also PT:

Teor da Garantia: a SIEE garante que este Produto não tem defeitos de material
nem de fabrico que provoquem avarias do Produto durante a sua utilização
normal, em conformidade com os termos abaixo definidos e que, por um
período de 1 (um) ano a contar da data da compra original

STARSBarry

Gold Member

I mean this would be great if I didn't constantly get this issue with only the elite... hell even my launch switch joycon hasent drifted yet.

My other xbox controllers have been great, however I don't think it's an accident that Microsoft had to legally extend it's warranty for the elite in some countries. I think there's something horribly wrong with the elite series, although iv only had 3 of the Elite 1's.

Last edited:

Aenima

My linked PDF is directly from PlayStation.com. ES, DE, FR and so on are all in the EU and only have 1 year.

Also PT:

Teor da Garantia: a SIEE garante que este Produto não tem defeitos de material
nem de fabrico que provoquem avarias do Produto durante a sua utilização
normal, em conformidade com os termos abaixo definidos e que, por um
período de 1 (um) ano a contar da data da compra original
So your PDF says one thng and Sony website says another. All i know is in my country the warranty has always been 2 years for any electronic product (minimum).

Top Bottom