• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite 2 Controller- replace or just return?

NinjaBoiX

So I’ve had one of these controllers before that I bought preowned, and it was in excellent condition, it worked great. But I sold it for reasons I won’t go into.

I decided to buy one again recently as Amazon were selling them for £99.99, which isn’t a ridiculous amount more than a standard model. It’s definitely new as it was sealed, but it’s just not quite right.

Two of the face buttons feel a bit sticky like they don’t return to their neutral position as they should. Plus L3 and particularly R3 feel like they have far too much travel before the click engages, like it often feels like I’m clicking them but they’re just meeting the top of the micro switch? It honestly feels preowned, like it’s been used extensively.

I can return it until the end of January but bearing in mind the notorious QA issues my questions are:

- shall I keep using it in an attempt to “run it in”? Maybe it’s just a bit stiff out of the box, it’s notable that the used one I had felt so much better.

- if I return it, am I just rolling the dice expecting one that works properly? I don’t want to be in a position where I’m asked questions about sending back a second one.

- should I just hold off for the reported Elite 3?

I went back and used my vanilla pad and the difference is stark, it feels so much tighter and more responsive, no woolly stick clicks or gummy feel to the face buttons.

Any thoughts?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Just exchange it. If the second one still sucks, you probably just don’t like the controller. If it’s better, keep it.

NinjaBoiX

Also, do Amazon even offer a replacement? It’s no longer £99.99, and I’m not paying full price.
Just exchange it. If the second one still sucks, you probably just don’t like the controller. If it’s better, keep it.
But that’s just it, I do like the controller based on the previous one I had.
Return it and wait for Elite 3 or the Haptic Controller that was leaked.
Oh, there’s a haptic one coming?
Return it. It's fundamentally flawed, so any you get will break sooner rather than later.

Get an 8BitDo controller if you really want a non-standard option.
I’ll probably give it a week or so to see if it gets any better, I’ve can’t shake the “break it in” aspect given how good the preowned one was.

I had an Elite 2 where the face buttons did not register sometimes - got a replacement - same issue!

For my money, I would wait for the Elite 3 - the qc on these is poor. Nobody needs to break in a controller - they are like trainers - they should be comfortable from the off.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Hmm, I’m getting strong return vibes!

I’m going to get a series S for the spare room so that will give me a second controller which was half the reason for my purchase.

(I can’t get used to the paddles after 20+ years of muscle memory, hence returning the used one I had.)

Beechos

Exchange it I have 2 black elite 2 and 1 white elite core and they are all fine. $99 is a great price whenever elite 3 comes out you can be damn sure it'll be nowhere near $99.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

200 Dollars? Has Hall Effect sticks.
It's missing the Wireless charging, should be a thing in all high end electronics in 2023.
Now that I know this thing exists I'll look at reviews.
It has wireless charging.

Not sure how you missed that, haha.

Also has microswitches for all buttons, bumpers and d-pad. Visual profile adjustments for everything can be done on the built in screen as well as audio/chat mixing....shit, you can even get text and app alerts on the damn thing. It's wildly superior to anything else on the market, IMO.

Poppyseed

Exchange it I have 2 black elite 2 and 1 white elite core and they are all fine. $99 is a great price whenever elite 3 comes out you can be damn sure it'll be nowhere near $99.
I have two white Elite 2 controllers I’ve had a year. I got a couple of black ones right when they came out and the quality control was awful. Sticking buttons, unresponsive buttons etc. I had to send them back. The white ones I got about a year ago have had no issues at all.

coffinbirth

The QC issues with this controller sound like the stuff of nightmares. Check the Amazon reviews. Yeeeeesh.
Just took a look at those, and it does seem like there are some pretty spotty QC issues going on. The most concerning to me is the anti friction rings around the sticks gouging into the sticks themselves. Haven't noticed that yet. Haven't had any issues with the software yet either. Hmmm.

RPS37

I’ve literally gone through countless returns of elite series 2 controllers. I hate it.
i still have two broken controllers that i would love to sell.
I think one has stick drift and the other has a non registering face button.

Rockman33

Xbox series controller is the best and worst controller I’ve ever owned.

4 of them have broken. Yet I keep buying new ones because it’s my favorite controller ever made.

Beechos

I'm guess I'm lucky only prob I have had with is with the elite controller 1 the rubbery stuff on it is starting to degrade or something and feels sticky all over it.

Three

Also, do Amazon even offer a replacement? It’s no longer £99.99, and I’m not paying full price.

But that’s just it, I do like the controller based on the previous one I had.

Oh, there’s a haptic one coming?

I’ll probably give it a week or so to see if it gets any better, I’ve can’t shake the “break it in” aspect given how good the preowned one was.
Amazon will honour the original price if it is faulty so you don't need to worry about that.

I have a stack of them. At least 4. Best buy takes them back if you have the replacement plan. My store never takes the broken one back so i have 4. Great piece of work other than dogshit QC. And it seems to be contained to this product. No improvement. The OG Elite was the same. Have two of those with the same Best Buy routine.

Hohenheim

I would highly recomend the new "Turtle Beach Stealth Ultra". Been using it for a few days now, and can safely say its the best controller I've ever used. The only thing the elite 2 does better is the increased weight.
Had two elite 2 which both had poor input response on the face buttons.
The Stealth Ultra has that satisfying "gaming mouse click" on those buttons. Not the mushy-ish feel that many controllers have.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

I've had a few with various issues, but my recent one with a summer 2023 build date is fine. None of them last forever though. When it works though, its my fav Xbox controller. I do have to put better grips on them though and I got customised paddles to suit my hands.

Top Bottom