• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Lumia 950 and 950 XL announced: "Windows Phone is back" (The Verge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
As someone who owns Lumia 735 I have no idea why anyone would want high end windows phone.

The best thing about WP is how great it runs on junk hardware but power users want tons of apps from the market.

And this is what stops me from buying these phones. Show me some support, Microsoft, and I'm in. I just don't see it happening with Android and iOS dominating everything.

mm04

And this is what stops me from buying these phones. Show me some support, Microsoft, and I'm in. I just don't see it happening with Android and iOS dominating everything.

Continuum alone makes these phones impressive, at least for the business segment. I know I want my company to buy me one!

n64coder

As someone who owns Lumia 735 I have no idea why anyone would want high end windows phone.

The best thing about WP is how great it runs on junk hardware but power users want tons of apps from the market.

For me, it's about having a great camera. The lower end phones don't have them. Otherwise, they're great for what you pay for them.

Having more apps would be great but all I care about are good quality apps. They are there on WP and I use them. I used to have tons of apps on my iPad but I tossed most of them out in favor of just a few.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Another thing - Nokia used to produce a lot of phones. Is that still the case with Microsoft, or is it just these two?

Well Nokia have gone from selling 460 million mobile phones in 2010 to being bough by Microsoft who to date have fired 26,000 employees and only shipped 60 million mobile phones this year to date.

You look at their smartphone business and they only have 2.6% market share.

It's not hard to understand why this conference focused more on Surface and less on Lumia and Windows Mobile ecosystem.

a.wd

Microsoft is really going to get some money from me...

Continuum is like the coolest thing ever right? It's not just me who thinks that?

Microsoft is really going to get some money from me...

Continuum is like the coolest thing ever right? It's not just me who thinks that?

I think Continuum is really awesome, I'm just having a hard time trying to consider any situation where I'd use it. You still need a monitor, keyboard and mouse handy wherever it's being used. I don't really see anybody using this solely as their only computer, so that means if you already have the above 3, then you've already got a computer hooked to them. I guess you could be at another location but then you're fishing out cables from another desktop and hooking everything up.

It has its uses but I feel like Continuum will quickly be relegated to a bullet point and not a featured marketing term.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Continuum is a nice feature (especially the app scale up) but I expected it to be wireless like AirPlay or Cast. Kinda defeats the purpose to have to carry tons of wires and an (apparently) heavy box.

Another huge issue is that they use ARM CPU' and therefore Windows Universal apps / RT rather than x86.

Also it's a niche feature in itself when you realise you're better off buying a Surface/other tablet/laptop alongside a smartphone.

JaggedSac

Continuum is a nice feature (especially the app scale up) but I expected it to be wireless like AirPlay or Cast. Kinda defeats the purpose to have to carry tons of wires and an (apparently) heavy box.

It works with Miracast and Bluetooth keyboards and mice work.

Shadownet

Banned
[*]Windows Hello Beta: Unlock your phone with your face

Wait are you telling me this is finally a feature?
img.jpg

Wireless casting has been on 8.1 devices like the Lumia 1520 and 830.

CaptainABAB

According to Ars Technica...

The new phones will be available unlocked from Microsoft's store, $549 for the 950 and $649 for the 950 XL. They'll support AT&T and T-Mobile's frequencies, but don't appear to have support for the Verizon or Sprint CDMA networks. Moreover, there appears to be some kind of exclusivity with AT&T. The 950 XL is available on Microsoft's store unlocked. The 950 presently isn't. AT&T, however, has announced that they will be carrying the 950.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...ia-flagships-are-competent-continuum-is-cool/

Condom

But does the app scale up like with Continuum?

Good question! And does it cook breakfast for me? Uh-oh don't think so! Worthless crap from Micro$oft!

Macbook, iPad and iPhone 2016 versions for me, Tim is a God. Nice try though, dirty company of which I do not own shares

Do they have a decent software solution for OSX or are they expecting iOS developers to make their app in OSX then install/switch to Windows, buy Visual Studio and port their app?

Condom

Do they have a decent software solution for OSX or are they expecting iOS developers to make their app in OSX then install/switch to Windows, buy Visual Studio and port their app?

When did you ever need to buy VS? It has always been free for me (or at least for as long as I remember).

I am part of the student program though so maybe that's why?

So wireless "share my screen" on the current phones just mirror. Continuum is a true scaling dual screen experience that requires high end W10 liquid cooled hardware.

Jzero

Liquid/Water cooling on a phone sounds impossible. Is it going to be super thick?

Can't wait until iFixit tears these phones apart.

CronoShot

I really like the design and specs (liquid cooling sounds pretty damn sweet), but..it's a Windows phone. If it weren't for the ecosystem I would jump right in.

Did you read the post you replied to?

8.6m is great anyway for a line that hasn't had a big flagship for a while.

What's the percentage in the global smartphone market anyway? 5%?

Probably 7 million of them were the Nokia 5x0 and 6x0 phones Microsoft had been giving away all year.

Liberty4all

Banned
I'm still using my Nokia 920 .... Was getting ready to jump back to IOS to match a phone with my iPad but this has me very interested. I don have a laptop or desktop currently and need one mainly for productivity (Word and PowerPoint mainly as well as some web productivity sites). I love my iPad but it's too small when doing serious work (for me). I have a desktop back in Toronto but currently in Vancouver for 6 months for work.

This could really be a solution for me. A portable desktop basically.

Korey

Warning to any potential buyers: don't go Windows Phone. Just don't. You'll regret it. The apps are never going to come.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Warning to any potential buyers: don't go Windows Phone. Just don't. You'll regret it. The apps are never going to come.
this actually ignores that its a new os and the apps are now cross platform with 110 million devices....

the proof is in the pusding of course, but your argument doesnt hold as much water as it did before win 10

Depends on the individual anyway, it's like someone saying you listen to bad music.

I like the WP8.1 OS so much I can't stay away, I gave my HTC one m8 to my wife and I'm back to using my beat up Lumia 1020.

But I don't go around advising others to stay away from Android.

Caayn

Yes, finally new Windows Phones. Time for my 920 to get ready for its retirement.

Just two minor annoyances I have with the new models. Why doesn't the 950 also come with a 810 cpu instead of the 808. And what happened to the colours in the Lumia line :(

Edit: Bigger annoyance. Why are the prices raised in the EU? €599(/$675) vs $549 for the 950, and €699(/$788) vs $649 for the 950XL. WTF Microsoft.

u5R4EHb.png

https://twitter.com/MicrosoftDE/status/651444417505701889

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else (not MS) making any new WP phones?

that's kind of irrelevant now that MS has become a hardware manufacturer with global apps isn't it? A bit like saying 'is anyone except apple making any new iphones?'

I mean, I guess it's nice if other people make windows phones. but it seems almost pointless now that Panos is on the job. MS is taking a crack at that apple style business. Phones are going to be harder for them, but they've somehow quietly won or are winning laptops/tablets already, I had no idea that surface was such a massive business. was it 3 billion or something now?

RM8

that's kind of irrelevant now that MS has become a hardware manufacturer with global apps isn't it? A bit like saying 'is anyone except apple making any new iphones?'

I mean, I guess it's nice if other people make windows phones. but it seems almost pointless now that Panos is on the job. MS is taking a crack at that apple style business. Phones are going to be harder for them, but they've somehow quietly won or are winning laptops/tablets already, I had no idea that surface was such a massive business. was it 3 billion or something now?
It'd just be cool to see more options, since both 950s are so similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom