• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Lumia 950 and 950 XL announced: "Windows Phone is back" (The Verge)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3d10n

They announced official support for porting/using iOS and Android apps to Windows 10 a while back, but ever since that announcement (where they mentioned how Candy Crush was ported very easily from iOS), we haven't really heard anything. Hopefully that changes in the ramp-up to launch of W10 Mobile.

You can install APKs using ADB in the preview versions. ADB sees the Windows Phone device as a valid Android device. Seems most apps that can be sideloaded into Amazon devices (aka: don't depend too heavily on Google Android Services) work.

Fatalah

You can install APKs using ADB in the preview versions. ADB sees the Windows Phone device as a valid Android device. Seems most apps that can be sideloaded into Amazon devices (aka: don't depend too heavily on Google Android Services) work.

Microsoft did a great job with their iOS and Android app conversion tools. Ideally, it would be great if developers ported their apps and published them to the Windows App Store. Microsoft even mapped Google Now and Siri to Cortana. And the gaming stuff to Xbox. Pretty nifty.

M3d10n

It'd be nice, but unlikely, if mobile Edge got add on support like the desktop one will.
If the add on support for Edge uses the upcoming "app add on" system, which is being used to integrate Skype into the messaging app, then it should work on both PC and mobile.

b88KlxT.jpg

jsnepo

Damn it! My trusty Lumia 530 will not be Windows 10 Mobile compatible? The only reason I bought this phone because of the promise of Windows 10 support. This sucks!

Paganmoon

Damn it! My trusty Lumia 530 will not be Windows 10 Mobile compatible? The only reason I bought this phone because of the promise of Windows 10 support. This sucks!

All existing 8.1 phones will get Windows 10 iirc, (eventually). Has there been any info that states otherwise recently?

Nikodemos

The current preview version of Windows 10 Mobile is officially supported on the Lumia 530. It'd be strange if the Lumia 530 isn't going to supported. It isn't going to be the first in line for the upgrade though.

Supported phones for Windows Mobile Insider Preview
Wait, so the HTC One M8 will (eventually) receive Windows 10 Mobile? Sweet. I think it's a rather nice phone, gimmicky underpowered camera aside. Now all I need to do is find a cheap 2nd hand one.

Sprint sold their soul to the iPhone and it did nothing to help them. I'm hoping they'll finally support Windows phones again. If not I may really consider moving my entire family plan to T-Mobile.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
I think I saw the "cyan" as a color option, is this true?
I really wanted to buy the Cyan Nokia 2520 tablet but it was never released with that color option :(

Kibbles

I saw you can connect these to monitors and use them like a desktop. Does that mean you can run desktop programs? Or is it a watered down Windows like RT that can only run App Store stuff?

Katori

Honestly these look fantastic. I love iOS and if I wasn't heavily into the Apple ecosystem I would switch.

Here's hoping Apple copies some of their ideas (in their own way).

JaggedSac

Nice. I assume the final retail version will be available at the same time as the Lumias?

I have no idea. I think it all depends on carriers. Might be best for you to go into the preview program slow ring if you want the update as soon as it is available.

Seems silly to have a debugger if you can't compile :D

But no, it does not have an objective c compiler as of yet.

And it is leveraging Electron, which is what Atom is now called.

Atom has add on support which VSC still lacks making Atom better despite having the same engine.

Having a debugger doesn't mean it has a "compiler" in the sense of compiled languages like the C family. VSC debugger is for JavaScript.

JaggedSac

Atom has add on support which VSC still lacks making Atom better despite having the same engine.

Having a debugger doesn't mean it has a "compiler" in the sense of compiled languages like the C family. VSC debugger is for JavaScript.

They use Mono for C# debugging in experimental form currently.

But yes, it is in early days of the software. Community plug-in/extension support will be there.

If the add on support for Edge uses the upcoming "app add on" system, which is being used to integrate Skype into the messaging app, then it should work on both PC and mobile.

Lumia Moments was also retooled as an add in app for windows camera.

I too wish that's the road they take for extensions, it would be really nice to have them both on desktop and mobile (and xbox!)

jason10mm

Gold Member
I just hope the phone speaker volume is better than the 1020. Damn thing is always set to 10/10 and I can still barely hear the other person.

Nice! Some more info on the "Designed for Microsoft Lumia" third-party accessory program:

Microsoft announced the new Lumia 950, Lumia 950 XL and Lumia 550 smartphones earlier this week, and third-party companies such as Finland-based Mozo and Sweden-based Krusell have already been named as "official" case makers for those phones, complete with a "Designed for Microsoft Lumia" logo.

This new logo looks to be a legit program started by Microsoft to shuffle off accessory production from themselves to third-party companies on an official scale.

Caayn

Are there any reiews yet?

Also on top of both models being more expensive here in the Netherlands, the releasedate also seems to be early December over here :(

hankster

Laid hands on the 950 XL for a short time. Feels very solid and looks sharp. Screen looks NICE...

Now need to try out the 950. XL didn't 'feel' as huge as I thought it would. Compared to a nearby 640 XL it felt smaller.

Ushay

As I said, after seeing the dawn of the Panos Era, I'll be skipping the 950 XL and wait for the first Surface smartphone. I keep my phones for years, so there's no reason for me to upgrade yet.

I mean, those are fine devices, but it's all but assured that we will get a veritable Surface Jesus Phone around the same time next year. And it is going to be insane.

Ditto, Panos' team are brilliant. I'll wait for their first true phone.

n64coder

Oh, if you download the image of the woman with a cityscape behind and open on the photos app it appears as a living image. Sweet!

I did this and I'm not sure what I'm suppose to see. It looks like any other photograph. I'm using the W10 Photo App on my SP3.

I did this and I'm not sure what I'm suppose to see. It looks like any other photograph. I'm using the W10 Photo App on my SP3.

Did you downloaded the full res version?

The file is not just the static image, it also has embedded the same short clip before the photo is taken that some lumia phones already have.

Nice that they are bringing that to the desktop (and in a way that's a single file)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom