• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft plans to put Call of Duty on gamepass - wallstreet journal

feynoob

Gold Member
Rubicon moment for Game Pass and Phil Spencer.
Ride Or Die Monkey GIF by FirstAndMonday

twilo99

Last desperate gasp for life to convince satya not to shut it down.

Yeah I give Phil another two months before he is fired and they will shut down Xbox immediately after. That makes the most sense and the industry will be in a much better place after that happens.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
If/when they put it on Game Pass they know it will reduce traditional sales. They are banking on it increasing subs, and thinking long not short term - because they can afford to do it. They are trying to change the market.

People hurr-hurring about less sales are missing the point (from Microsoft's perspective). They don't care, they are rowing in a different direction, like it or not, and only time will tell if their people are right, or the people on here...
No, we all understand this is an attempt to increase Gamepass subscriber #s. The skepticism is about whether it’ll actually provide that boost, and whether Gamepass will even prove to be sustainable in the long run.

The higher-ups will get what they want! They have been saying for years now they are all in on Game Pass. Well, nothing demonstrates that more following the acquisition than putting CoD on it. If this doesn't significantly move the needle for them, that's basically it for finding new ways to increase subs.

It quite literally does not get any bigger than CoD. Personally, seeing how little Starfield helped last year, I'm thinking this won't have the results they think it will, beyond of course limiting individual sales of the game on Xbox consoles.

If it were me, I would put back-catalogue CoD and Blizzard games on Game Pass, and never the brand new CoD entries. I'd wait 12-18 months.

dem

No, we all understand this is an attempt to increase Gamepass subscriber #s. The skepticism is about whether it’ll actually provide that boost, and whether Gamepass will even prove to be sustainable in the long run.

Nothing will provide a boost if they can't sell hardware.
They don't have a Gamepass problem... they have a "we can't move hardware because we don't make games that get people excited" problem..

And i think PC gamers are far less likely to subscribe to a game service than console users.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
ABK is the only part of Microsoft Gaming that made money last quarter. This is a big risk.
It wont hurt PS sales obviously and likely wont move the needle on PC sales as my guess is the vast majority play on Battlenet

So how big of a chunk were actual Xbox sales and would this move have more people looking at the in game store and buying battlepasses and MTX in game?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Time to destroy all value of some of the most valuable brands in the medium. MS is a blessing because they can make mistakes that would’ve otherwise sinked anyone in the business. And they’ll act as a shining examples in business for years to come.

Sony and Nin strategy at this moment is to not interfere with Xbox’s own stupidity, I guess.
It’s simple - when the village idiot walks the streets, don’t interfere. 😉

Jaybe

ABK is the only part of Microsoft Gaming that made money last quarter. This is a big risk.

ABK side actually declined 17% last quarter (MW3 performed much worse than MW2). It’s just that if you only look at MS owned business, the ABK is new and looks like added growth. Most financial analyst, would and should be discerning enough to look at MS + ABK performance before acquisition and compare to MS including ABK following acquisition.

Using Welfare’s post and going back to ATVI earnings reports, it looks like the ABK side of the business lost a significant amount of revenue versus year ago (-17.3%) likely due to CODMW3 selling a fair bit less than CODMW2.

ABK JanFebMar2024: $1.971 billion
ABK JanFebMar2023: $2.383 billion
$ change: - 412 million
ABK year over year $ change, -17.3%

RuRHY4O.jpeg
V5AlGC2.png

Dane

Of course they will put, have the players spend the rest on MTX instead, and sell early access packs for 100 bucks.

feynoob

Gold Member
It wont hurt PS sales obviously and likely wont move the needle on PC sales as my guess is the vast majority play on Battlenet

So how big of a chunk were actual Xbox sales and would this move have more people looking at the in game store and buying battlepasses and MTX in game?
Because people are quick to jump to the fray without actual analyzing the situation.

XXL

Diablo is on gamepass right now.
That's great. I'm talking about the rest of them.

All the Bethesda Games were on GamePass 2 days after the acquisition closed. It's been almost a year since ABK and Diablo 4 is the only one.

As for Diablo 4, it was also announced at the business event and that's makes it look extremely reactionary in my opinion.

It's definitely strange the ABK games aren't all on there yet.

feynoob

Gold Member
That's great. I'm talking about the rest of them.

All the Bethesda Games were on GamePass 2 days after the acquisition closed. It's been almost a year since ABK and Diablo 4 is the only one.

As for Diablo 4, it was also announced at the business event and that's makes it look extremely reactionary in my opinion.

It's definitely strange the ABK games aren't all on there yet.
Because ABK is big purchase that needed 1 year fighting to approve it.

You can't rush something like without completing all the necessary steps.

This is what I'm thinking too. There is risk for CoD on Game Pass, but it might be lower than we think, or at least low enough to have this be a final sort of test for Game Pass as we know it.

rm082e

So I just realized I've been looking at this wrong - I thought you needed Ultimate to play online. I was looking at the wrong thing on their site.

So in the past, have all the first party titles come day-and-date to Xbox Core? Is the expectation that COD will be "free" for Core players, or that they would only put it on the Ultimate tier?

Roxkis_ii

So let me get this stright, they have noted that every game released day and date on gamepass misses their sales expectations; So much so that they have to release games on other platforms. Ms going to throw one of the most bought franchises on gamepass becuse fuck money.

oOf, Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Our gaming service is failing, quick let's throw one of the games that generate the most money to kill it's sales on our platform.

joker-burning.gif

Man, I hope those COD Devs have their resumes polished.

This is like when Microsoft bought Nokia (one of the world's most popular cellphone brands at the time) , and tied it to their failing moble OS and killed them both.

theres-something-very-familiar-about-all-this-deja-vu.gif

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Last edited:

jm89

Yeah I give Phil another two months before he is fired and they will shut down Xbox immediately after. That makes the most sense and the industry will be in a much better place after that happens.
Oh phil on his way out there is no doubt. His been an utter failure.

Xbox won't get shutdown, gamepass on the other hand and the console.....

Last edited:

Solidus_T

CoD is my only game, I have GamePass.

Will I pay £20 for early access and a "free" bundle. Of course I will.

Will I still sink around £50 yearly on battlepass + skins. Of Course I will.

So are MS really going to lose stupid amounts of money I would say no as the growth in Subs and new users to the platform (who may invest in Xbox further) should offset lost money in sales alone :)
What is interesting about this is that, if CoD was the only game you played, it would be a much, much better deal to just buy the game rather than spend upward of 200 USD to rent it per year.

Of course they will. Microsoft made a big deal about all first party games launching straight into gamepass. They won't go back on it now. They've backed themselves into a corner here and pretty much have to do it.

Darsxx82

It's funny the reactions of some... :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:It's clear that whatever MS does, whatever decision they makes, MS going to be criticized.

-If MS don't release COD on Gamepass: "Go liars, another broken promise and we're going to take the opportunity to make fun of the naïve users who believed COD on Gamepass could be"
-
If MS release COD on Gamepass: "lol, they're going to devalue COD, they're going to off shareholders. They're not going to gain anything, just lose money. Desperate measures"
The fact is that months ago during the trials and regulation of the acquisition of ABK, no one debated whether releasing COD on Gamepass was a possibility. Everyone sees it clearly. Those who were against the acquisition gave the example of bringing COD to gamepass as an approach to monopoly and damage to PS!!

The thing is, not releasing COD on Gamepass would be the worst option because of the damage it would do to the image and value of the service after the continuous promises. If you do, and the experiment fails miserably..... At least you'll be able to have compelling reasons to back down from the users you promised to. The largest amount of COD revenue is from microtransactions. It's a matter of checking if the increase in subscriptions, plus more spending on DLC andmicrotransactions and extra revenue from the new Switch 2 version would compensate....

Astray

The big question here is what this move does for PC Gamepass numbers.

It likely won't move the needle much because the Xbox split was low after, so even if these sales were cannibalized it would be a drop in the ocean.

However, PC is the largest COD market, and it remains to be seen what the effect of this move would be. You're cannibalizing your best pool of day 1 sales for a subscription service that likely won't break even because you're giving away so much in addition to COD.

This move could really fuck with COD margins if it lands wrong.

Topher

Gold Member

Good question. Yeah, definitely only affects Xbox and PC. I imagine once this happens we will see a boost in Game Pass numbers across both platforms, but the risk here is what will that do to revenue? I guess the question then becomes will Microsoft put COD on Game Pass as it is currently or will there be adjustments as far as tiers and price. Either way, folks are going to be looking sternly at ABK revenue in the subsequent quarters.

It is over Sony and Nintendo. A new king is here, Gamepass Ultimate Deluxe - CoD Edition.

Ofc, I'm joking. It seems quite stupid put a game that sells like water in CoD on Gamepass, but it seems Microsoft wants to expand their subscription numbers at any cost.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Keep in mind GamePass costs more than COD, that will deter any of the hardcore players.

I think most will continue to buy it outright.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Its still going to do massive numbers on PS and PC (people wont switch from BN to gamepass)

How small is the actual market for people buying it on Xbox?
People also don't remember that a Switch 2 version is going to be added... The majority of COD revenue comes from microtransactions. On the other hand, and that people also don't remember.... MS would now enter 100% COD on Xbox platforms. ABK had 70% of the income. That is to say, the revenue is not that they saw a strong hit and more so with other platforms (Switch 2, PC, PS plus mobile) compensating

Top Bottom