• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Said It Would Have Kept Sega Games Multiplatform After Proposed Buyout

Dick Jones

Gold Member
mfw watching y'all believe internal Booty but not this leaked internal document.

200.gif
I look to a person's history. Lying to the EC about Bethesda gets more weight in this scenario.

tmlDan

These are internal documents, not press interviews.

If someone believe Booty's internal emails as their active strategy, you should believe this too.

Thats a decent point, but you leave out the important bit. This is a preproposal to Sega to sell their division to Xbox, this isn't post purchase.

Likely these plans were to be shared with Sega pre-purchase as a potential strategy as to not tarnish Sega as a brand cause its likely they don't buy all of Sega in this hypothetical deal, but it doesn't mean they would not back out of it once they got approval and the deal closed.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Considering strategies and executing strategies are two different things...

I'm kind of enjoying all the weirdness from these e-mail discussions and meltdowns and gatcha moments people think they are having haha
If you heard the testimony live, you'd know the details: there was no differentiation between strategy and execution. They wanted to make it exclusive but couldn't because of the contract, and Phil was frustrated because of that.

He asked the team to look into ways how they can stop releasing Minecraft on PlayStation and make it exclusive. They likely couldn't find a way out of that contract, so they released the game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Thats a decent point, but you leave out the important bit. This is a preproposal to Sega to sell their division to Xbox, this isn't post purchase.

Likely these plans were to be shared with Sega pre-purchase as a potential strategy as to not tarnish Sega as a brand cause its likely they don't buy all of Sega in this hypothetical deal, but it doesn't mean they would not back out of it once they got approval and the deal closed.

They never shared these plans with Sega, this is a part of the internal-only strategy document where they were looking at potential developers/publishers and assessing their risk/benefits.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
So this is FACT and not some kind of thought experiment? It's hard to know....

If this was their strategy, then it is sound. I've always thought the best way to stress the value for Game Pass would be to have the games available on it everywhere pay to play, so they could point to that and say "look you could be playing it over here for £x / month" whilst also still benefitting from profits elsewhere (to subsidise further development). This principle should apply to any big publisher bought, otherwise they look vindictive and monopolistic.

tmlDan

They never shared these plans with Sega, this is a part of the internal-only strategy document where they were looking at potential developers/publishers and assessing their risk/benefits.

You could be right since this never actually happened either way, other than an initial proposal and internal discussion but after their other internal discussions i have a hard time believing that they don't change their mind.

They have a habit of proposed intent to keep things exclusive as they admitted and particularly from Phil

adamsapple

You could be right since this never actually happened either way, other than an initial proposal and internal discussion but after their other internal discussions i have a hard time believing that they don't change their mind.

They have a habit of proposed intent to keep things exclusive as they admitted and particularly from Phil

Right, but those examples you are talking about is Phil talking to media outlets. Which, as many people have @'ed me in the last few days, are contradicted by what their internal documents and email transcripts say.

*THIS* is coming from the same internal documents.

splattered

If you heard the testimony live, you'd know the details: there was no differentiation between strategy and execution. They wanted to make it exclusive but couldn't because of the contract, and Phil was frustrated because of that.

He asked the team to look into ways how they can stop releasing Minecraft on PlayStation and make it exclusive. They likely couldn't find a way out of that contract, so they released the game.

That was back in when.. 2014? 2015? Obviously things have changed since then. All of these internal documents never meant for the public eye obviously back that up. People are just being selective in what they want to believe now.

adamsapple

Even if it was true did you read the document. It days "sub excluvity"- which basically puts it on the same concern page as the CMA.

I wouldn't say that personally, it's like the Minecraft Legends/Dungeon, Psychonauts 2 etc example. The games aren't being foreclosed from any other platform. They're just available on game pass. That's something MS hasn't been shy about in regards to CoD as well, and I don't recall the availability (or foreclosure) of games on game pass being an issue for CMA, their beef was the cloud dominance.

Because Microsoft made similar claims prior to the Bethesda acquisition so there are reasons other than simply being an "leaked internal document" for not buying it.

🤷‍♂️

I dunno man, I don't fully buy this, folks have been referring to the leaked 2019 emails ad-nauseam as evidence of MS's strategy. It's just a bit hypocritical to take one part of the leaked documents as evidence and ignore another as bullshit.

Fabieter

I wouldn't say that personally, it's like the Minecraft Legends/Dungeon, Psychonauts 2 etc example. The games aren't being foreclosed from any other platform. They're just available on game pass. That's something MS hasn't been shy about in regards to CoD as well, and I don't recall the availability (or foreclosure) of games on game pass being an issue for CMA, their beef was the cloud dominance.

🤷‍♂️

I dunno man, I don't fully buy this, folks have been referring to the leaked 2019 emails ad-nauseam as evidence of MS's strategy. It's just a bit hypocritical to take one part of the leaked documents as evidence and ignore another as bullshit.

We will launch all acquired games and franchises with subscription exclusivity into Xbox Game Pass on console, PC, and cloud; future releases will ship into Xbox Game Pass on a day-and date basis

I dont know how you read that but for me it means no other sub for any Sega game including cloud.

Dick Jones

Gold Member

🤷‍♂️

Minecraft not being exclusive isn't a great thing to hang the hat off when it was revealed to be a condition put in by Notch. Microsoft didn't volunteer it, and looked to break it.

Psychonauts 2 being a Kickstarter meant it had to release multiplatform.

Try to use better examples.

Topher

Gold Member

🤷‍♂️

Folks just have to think back to all the shit MS said prior to Bethesda to call bullshit on this. Hell, even Pete Hines questioned that after MS started yapping about COD remaining on PS.

What is there not to believe about what Booty said though? He made reference to putting Sony out of business a couple of times. That's just a matter of fact.

adamsapple

We will launch all acquired games and franchises with subscription exclusivity into Xbox Game Pass on console, PC, and cloud; future releases will ship into Xbox Game Pass on a day-and date basis

I dont know how you read that but for me it means no other sub for any Sega game including cloud.

Ok. I don't think I ever disputed the part of them launching day 1 in Game Pass, nor do I think FTC, CMA or EU brought it up as any kind of a blocker.

They all talked about total foreclosure of IP from PS. That is not what's being discussed in this internal document at all. They're literally talking about releasing games on Playstation, PC, Nintendo etc.

Minecraft not being exclusive isn't a great thing to hang the hat off when it was revealed to be a condition put in by Notch. Microsoft didn't volunteer it, and looked to break it.

Is there a source for this? Been reading this a lot but not one person has provided a source. If you have one, please provide, don't give a coy answer like you did above.

Of all the documents that have leaked in the last few days, not a single one of them has said this, otherwise we both know there would be a topic about it here.

Folks just have to think back to all the shit MS said prior to Bethesda to call bullshit on this. Hell, even Pete Hines questioned that after MS started yapping about COD remaining on PS.

What is there not to believe about what Booty said though? He made reference to putting Sony out of business a couple of times. That's just a matter of fact.

See, you're doing the same thing here. You are inclined to believe Booty's strategy wholesale but are refusing to believe this, also internal only mind you, document.

'All the shit MS said prior to Bethesda' has been mostly debunked by the leaked emails in your opinion, right ? So let's take this leaked document from the same sets also at their face value.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Ok. I don't think I ever disputed the part of them launching day 1 in Game Pass, nor do I think FTC, CMA or EU brought it up as any kind of a blocker.

They all talked about total foreclosure of IP from PS. That is not what's being discussed in this internal document at all. They're literally talking about releasing games on Playstation, PC, Nintendo etc.

Is there a source for this? Been reading this a lot but not one person has provided a source. If you have one, please provide, don't give a coy answer like you did above.

Of all the documents that have leaked in the last few days, not a single one of them has said this, otherwise we both know there would be a topic about it here.

See, you're doing the same thing here. You are inclined to believe Booty's strategy wholesale but are refusing to believe this, also internal only mind you, document.

'All the shit MS said prior to Bethesda' has been mostly debunked by the leaked emails in your opinion, right ? So let's take this leaked document from the same sets also at their face value.

What? I copied it from the OP which says that it would have been exclusive to the gamepass/xcloud service. And the xcloud Service is the reason for cma to block it.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I haven't seen it, can you link it please.
You think MS thinking of ways to make a franchise exclusive is a general chit chat.
Check the megathread during Spencer's testimony on efforts to make Minecraft exclusive. There was an email with Spence and Booty and someone else on trying to make Minecraft Dungeons exclusive.

adamsapple adamsapple it is hardly Microsoft who put in the need for non exclusivity of Minecraft. Considering its two parties involved in the contract, and one is fucking Notch, my money is on Notch for putting it in the contract.

Riky

$MSFT
You think MS thinking of ways to make a franchise exclusive is a general chit chat.
Check the megathread during Spencer's testimony on efforts to make Minecraft exclusive. There was an email with Spence and Booty and someone else on trying to make Minecraft Dungeons exclusive.

adamsapple adamsapple it is hardly Microsoft who put in the need for non exclusivity of Minecraft. Considering its two parties involved in the contract, and one is fucking Notch, my money is on Notch for putting it in the contract.

Well if they were discussing making it exclusive then logically they could have which means it wasn't in the contract.

But they didn't make it exclusive or Minecraft Dungeons or Minecraft Legends.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Well if they were discussing making it exclusive then logically they could have which means it wasn't in the contract.

But they didn't make it exclusive or Minecraft Dungeons or Minecraft Legends.
From the crowd who turned up to Arkane Austin day 1 to say cancel the PS version, I think you're a tad gullible if you believe there is a choice.

Riky

$MSFT
From the crowd who turned up to Arkane Austin day 1 to say cancel the PS version, I think you're a tad gullible if you believe there is a choice.

Not really, Minecraft is a massive online game already on the platform. Redfall isn't.

So there is no link to anything in the Minecraft contract just as I thought.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Microsoft makes their family friendly stuff like Ori and Minecraft multiplatform, so I can see Sonic remaining multiplatform.

The other game Sega makes, Yakuza would likely be exclusive.

Topher

Gold Member

I didn't say anything about "believing" either, now did I? I'm pointing out why you are wrong in suggesting "believing" one requires anyone to "believe" the other when they are not the same circumstances at all. You are making a false equivalence based entirely on the fact that these are "leaked internal documents". We know full well that Booty's email was only ever supposed to be internal while the Sega document was formulating a strategy to present to externally to Sega.

Gojiira

More importantly they set precedent with something as huge as Minecraft, that's all the evidence anyone needs.
No they fucking didnt, Minecraft was already out on every platform under the sun. Deathloop and Ghostwire were contractually tied to PS before the acquisition.
No the precedent has been set by Sony committing to its promises by allowing Marathon on Xbox.
Microsoft has set precedent by buying a publisher JUST to prevent Starfield from being PS exclusive and cancelling every game that was due to be on PS5 post acquisition.
All the evidence shows that so far Xbox has not kept to its word, but Sony has.

Riky

$MSFT
No they fucking didnt, Minecraft was already out on every platform under the sun. Deathloop and Ghostwire were contractually tied to PS before the acquisition.
No the precedent has been set by Sony committing to its promises by allowing Marathon on Xbox.
Microsoft has set precedent by buying a publisher JUST to prevent Starfield from being PS exclusive and cancelling every game that was due to be on PS5 post acquisition.
All the evidence shows that so far Xbox has not kept to its word, but Sony has.

Minecraft Legends and Minecraft Dungeons as well as the re release of Quake say otherwise. As well as full support for existing online titles. Marathon is part of the contract that enabled Sony to buy Bungie, Sony had no choice.

Ozriel

M$FT
I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

why would anyone believe them after what they’ve clearly shown with Bethesda?

It was an internal strategy document...i don't imagine they ever expected it to be public.

Besides, they'd never pursue exclusivity for japanese franchises. That'd be a surefire way to destroy value.

Top Bottom