• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Said It Would Have Kept Sega Games Multiplatform After Proposed Buyout

Ozriel

M$FT
No they fucking didnt, Minecraft was already out on every platform under the sun. Deathloop and Ghostwire were contractually tied to PS before the acquisition.
No the precedent has been set by Sony committing to its promises by allowing Marathon on Xbox.
Microsoft has set precedent by buying a publisher JUST to prevent Starfield from being PS exclusive and cancelling every game that was due to be on PS5 post acquisition.
All the evidence shows that so far Xbox has not kept to its word, but Sony has.

Not only did they keep Minecraft on PlayStation, they also updated to the Bedrock edition, made a PSVR version, put out THREE Minecraft spinoffs on PlayStation.

Such a poorly researched rebuttal. They've 100% kept to their word.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
adamsapple adamsapple it is hardly Microsoft who put in the need for non exclusivity of Minecraft. Considering its two parties involved in the contract, and one is fucking Notch, my money is on Notch for putting it in the contract.

Confused Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

It's in none of the juicy documents so far, so unless proven otherwise ...

I didn't say anything about "believing" either, now did I? I'm pointing out why you are wrong in suggesting "believing" one requires anyone to "believe" the other when they are not the same circumstances at all. You are making a false equivalence based entirely on the fact that these are "leaked internal documents". We know full well that Booty's email was only ever supposed to be internal while the Sega document was formulating a strategy to present to externally to Sega.

I mean sure, if you conveniently want to go that route.

Sega's acquisition talk and the talk of keeping their games multi-platform were also discussed in internal emails, they were not a part of any kind of proposal package sent to Sega.

37P9UfwGjuWr4MC76K7uAP-1200-80.jpg

cireza

From a business perspective, making Sonic exclusive makes no sense. So at least Sonic would have stayed multiplatform.

Fabieter

Minecraft Legends and Minecraft Dungeons as well as the re release of Quake say otherwise. As well as full support for existing online titles. Marathon is part of the contract that enabled Sony to buy Bungie, Sony had no choice.

And ms had no choice with Microsoft.

bender

What time is it?

Sega's acquisition talk and the talk of keeping their games multi-platform were also discussed in internal emails, they were not a part of any kind of proposal package sent to Sega.

The only reason Phil wanted to keep SEGA multiplatform is that he knows that it isn't wise to provoke the furry community.

Tsaki

This was all sweet talk before getting to buy Sega. No hard contracts were signed with Nintendo and Sony for all games to come to their platforms. And just like Bethesda, after the deal gets through the regulators, all new games would become exclusive.

Vognerful

yep Microsoft is always very weasely with their wording, just like Bethesda there’s no doubt in my mind that anything new would have become exclusive if they had somehow bought Sega

of course the same people that defend them here are the same ones that turn around & claim that obviously Microsoft only meant stuff like ESO & Fallout 76 despite having claimed the opposite before the deal closed

there’s a huge spat of intellectual dishonesty going on right now and strange how it’s almost entirely in ‘favor’ of one of the richest corporations in the world? 🤔
I actually see the total opposite.

People who were making fun of Xbox guys that Microsoft paid all that money to make CoD multiplatform, depriving fanboys of ammo in exclusive shit threads, are now the most vocal in saying that CoD will be for sure exclusive.

Topher

Gold Member

It isn't a matter of "convenience", but consistency. So yeah, seeing this I'm now more inclined to believe that truly was Microsoft's strategy. Do you believe that to be the case as well?

Riky

$MSFT
So was mojang. There is no evidence that its in the contract forcing sony to do multiplatform.

Bungie said it at purchase, go back read the thread.

There is no evidence for Mojang at all, since it's just been in the court hearings that Microsoft discussed Minecraft games being exclusive then it follows they could have been so.

Fabieter

Bungie said it at purchase, go back read the thread.

There is no evidence for Mojang at all, since it's just been in the court hearings that Microsoft discussed Minecraft games being exclusive then it follows they could have been so.

Where is the evidence that sony is forced to support bungie being multiplatform. There is none.

Vognerful

Ok. I don't think I ever disputed the part of them launching day 1 in Game Pass, nor do I think FTC, CMA or EU brought it up as any kind of a blocker.

They all talked about total foreclosure of IP from PS. That is not what's being discussed in this internal document at all. They're literally talking about releasing games on Playstation, PC, Nintendo etc.

Is there a source for this? Been reading this a lot but not one person has provided a source. If you have one, please provide, don't give a coy answer like you did above.

Of all the documents that have leaked in the last few days, not a single one of them has said this, otherwise we both know there would be a topic about it here.

See, you're doing the same thing here. You are inclined to believe Booty's strategy wholesale but are refusing to believe this, also internal only mind you, document.

'All the shit MS said prior to Bethesda' has been mostly debunked by the leaked emails in your opinion, right ? So let's take this leaked document from the same sets also at their face value.
No to mention that Bethesda was planned to go exclusive which they did. So if they planned to go multiplatform with Sega, why question that?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
That would have been extremely dumb if it wasn’t a complete lie.

Sega doesn’t make anything anymore anyone cares about except maybe one series.

adamsapple

It isn't a matter of "convenience", but consistency. So yeah, seeing this I'm now more inclined to believe that truly was Microsoft's strategy. Do you believe that to be the case as well?

I believe Booty's email was specifically talking about GP content (as the subject of his email was GP ARPU) but in general, yes, they need to spend money to get big named content on GP.

No to mention that Bethesda was planned to go exclusive which they did. So if they planned to go multiplatform with Sega, why question that?

Yep. And this is internal communication, not something Phil or Booty said to The Verge.

adamsapple

This is about Booty's email talking about Microsoft's "strategy" to put Sony out of business.

* Spend out of business.
"We (Microsoft) are in a very unique position to be able to go spend Sony out of business," Booty wrote, in reference to planned spending of spending $2-3bn in 2020 to avoid competitors getting ahead.

But, again, that email is about game pass, he literally says so in the next lines.

"It is practically impossible for anyone to start a new video streaming service at scale at this point," he noted.

"In games, Google is three to four years away from being able to have a studio up and running. Amazon has shown no ability to execute on game content," he said.

"Content is the one moat that we have, in terms of a catalogue that runs on current devices and capability to create new. Sony is really the only other player who could compete with Game Pass and we have a two year and 10m subs lead."

That would have been extremely dumb if it wasn’t a complete lie.

Sega doesn’t make anything anymore anyone cares about except maybe one series.

I hope by one you mean RGG right, not Sonic ? :p

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No they fucking didnt, Minecraft was already out on every platform under the sun. Deathloop and Ghostwire were contractually tied to PS before the acquisition.
No the precedent has been set by Sony committing to its promises by allowing Marathon on Xbox.
Microsoft has set precedent by buying a publisher JUST to prevent Starfield from being PS exclusive and cancelling every game that was due to be on PS5 post acquisition.
All the evidence shows that so far Xbox has not kept to its word, but Sony has.

The Doom games and Quake were ported to PS5.

Marathon doesn’t even exist, outside of a movie trailer.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not only did they keep Minecraft on PlayStation, they also updated to the Bedrock edition, made a PSVR version, put out THREE Minecraft spinoffs on PlayStation.

Such a poorly researched rebuttal. They've 100% kept to their word.

PlayStation got the Bedrock edition? I remember them kicking and screaming against cross platform play, while even Nintendo was cool with it.

Fabieter

"We remain in charge of our destiny. We will continue to independently publish and creatively develop our games. We will continue to drive one, unified Bungie community. Our games will continue to be where our community is, wherever they choose to play."

That's an indication at best it's contractually forced.

Minecraft was handed independently from xbox game studios as well, the messaging was just different.

Ozriel

M$FT
Just trust the serial liar, what a brilliant strategy.

You should probably stick to the LOL emojis.

PlayStation got the Bedrock edition? I remember them kicking and screaming against cross platform play, while even Nintendo was cool with it.

They eventually caved to common sense and got it in 2019.

That's an indication at best it's contractually forced.

Minecraft was handed independently from xbox game studios as well, the messaging was just different.

Mojang is part of Microsoft game studios, and there’s no contract or deal keeping Minecraft on PlayStation.

Ozriel

M$FT
Matt Booty

Matt Booty’s email in 2019 clearly highlighted it was his personal opinion that they’re able to spend to put Sony out of business. And the context was that it wasn’t a shared opinion.

How you’ve magicked that into an official strategy from decision makers at Microsoft is something to behold. Especially when all the emails and documents pulled from 2020 to date don’t mirror that strategy, and their acquisition targets focused largely on smallish developers, with Sega and Bungie an exception.

You believe buying Sega or Bungie plus the likes of IOI would have put Sony out of business?

We’ve also seen reams of internal emails showing that indeed, Mobile was the key focus for this ABK play.

Fabieter

Matt Booty’s email in 2019 clearly highlighted it was his personal opinion that they’re able to spend to put Sony out of business. And the context was that it wasn’t a shared opinion.

How you’ve magicked that into an official strategy from decision makers at Microsoft is something to behold. Especially when all the emails and documents pulled from 2020 to date don’t mirror that strategy, and their acquisition targets focused largely on smallish developers, with Sega and Bungie an exception.

You believe buying Sega or Bungie plus the likes of IOI would have put Sony out of business?

We’ve also seen reams of internal emails showing that indeed, Mobile was the key focus for this ABK play.

I mean ms announced the Bethesda acquisition in September 2020 and deals like that take months to complete. And it's not like companys have a short/mid and longterm plans.

Topher

Gold Member

Pump the brakes, dude. Booty's email being called a "strategy" was part of a different conversation comparing it to the Sega documents. And no, I wasn't the one who initially called it that. I just brought it forward as it had been described previously. I even put it in quotes in one post.

This is about Booty's email talking about Microsoft's "strategy" to put Sony out of business.

I will say I shouldn't have said "Microsoft's strategy" as it was, as you say, Booty's own view. Either way, that wasn't the crux of the discussion. It was about consistency in how these documents were being discussed.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Why stop there. Just go with the already approved narrative, Thought Experiment™

You are saying a whole lot of nothing right now.

I don’t believe it, but Microsoft probably wouldn’t have much of a choice keeping those games multiplatform because that would be the only way they would make money off of Sega games.

adamsapple

"It's in the hearing bro"

Seriously, imagine that. If any of the documents so far had even a line on it, it would be an article on websites, a topic on GAF etc etc.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Why stop there. Just go with the already approved narrative, Thought Experiment™

You are saying a whole lot of nothing right now.

This describes this post, ironically.

So basically there's no evidence in released material that there's an active or defunct Microsoft strategy to put Playstation out of business.

Ozriel

M$FT
I mean ms announced the Bethesda acquisition in September 2020 and deals like that take months to complete. And it's not like companys have a short/mid and longterm plans.

And yet Bethesda doesn't feature in any of those short, mid or long term acquaition plans. And from leaked documents, it's clear Mobile was their most prominent long term plan for acquisitions.

We saw an internal 2020 acquisition target list, remember? What this thread is based on?

Ozriel

M$FT
Other than buying up the top publishers in the world and outspending Sony doing so.

pepsi GIF

They engineered the Kotick crisis at Activision to make then open to buyout?

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Aside from the fact that King makes up a significant part of the deal, it's hard to make up a case for 'putting Playstation out of business' when they've already made binding commitments to have Call of Duty on PS5 and PS6.

20 year plan, perhaps?

Top Bottom