• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Windows 8 BUILD Conference 2011 |OT| 9/13-9/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

clav

Developer Preview Discussion Thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444722

Past keynotes and session videos are available at channel 9:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/Build2011

Overview:

BUILD will showcase the future of Windows computing on a variety of devices. This conference is targeted specifically for both software developers and hardware manufacturers.

When:

9:00 AM Pacific Time
9-13-2011 to 9-16-2011

Confused when it takes place? Click for World Time Converter.

Full agenda here.

Where:

Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim, California (right next to Disneyland)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Day 2

Windows Server based 8, Windows Azure (cloud), and Visual Studio demos

http://www.withinwindows.com/2011/09/14/build-2011-live-blog-keynote-day-2/

Keypoints

• Visual Studio 11 is now integrated with Azure to help teams stay organized for coding projects and includes powerful debugging tools
  • Windows Phone 7 and PC connectivity demoed. Very simple to debug code.
  • Windows Server 8 is very scalable. Downloads are available at MSDN.
  • Steve Ballmer made an appearance on stage, emphasizing Microsoft's philosophy of developers and backwards compatibility.
  • Microsoft focuses their strategy now all around Windows and the cloud.
  • Backwards compatibility for Windows Phone 7 and beyond.
  • Promises that development can be for everyone as future Microsoft products will help you to achieve whatever programming goal you have.

Day 1

Windows 8 Pre-Release ISOs available 8 PM Pacific Time tonight!

You probably want to try out the preview release—and you can. Starting at 8PM today, Seattle time, you can download all of the code that attendees at BUILD received. This includes 32 or 64 bit x86 builds, with or without development tools. The releases also include a suite of sample/SDK applications and the SDK (please note these are merely illustrations of potential apps, not apps that we intend to ship with Windows 8). The ISOs are linked to from http://dev.windows.com. You download with a Windows Live ID (which you might want to use to test out some of the new roaming features).

Upgrade from Windows 7 installation is not supported for pre-release code; only clean installs are supported. Reminder: this is a developer preview release and is not meant for production. It is not a beta release. We will be updating the release with various quality updates and drivers over the coming weeks/months just to exercise our overall update and telemetry mechanisms.

Engadget summary:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/13/windows-8-details-new-features-ui-enhancements-and-everything/

• All Windows 7 applications will run natively on Windows 8
  • Security update notifications have been minimized to the lower right of the log-in screen
  • Refreshed Windows Task Manager suspends apps when they're not running on-screen
  • New "Reset and Refresh PC" functions enable simplified system wipe and restore
  • HyperV virtualization software comes pre-loaded on Windows 8
  • Multi-monitor support now enables a single background across screens, as well as monitor-specific task bars
  • Multi-touch support enabled for Internet Explorer 10
  • Magnifier function enhanced for desktop manipulation
  • Optional thumb-by-thumb input mode
  • SkyDrive storage support integrated into all cloud-based apps
  • Metro-style refresh for Mail, Photos, Calender and People apps with Windows Live ID
  • Settings roam allows for preferences to sync across a user's Windows 8 devices
  • Continued update support for Windows 8 Developer Preview Beta
  • Even a Lenovo S10 (first-gen Atom + 1GB of RAM) can "run" Windows 8
  • There's "no overlays" with Windows 8; Metro-style goodness is baked into the core
  • Both Metro-style and conventional Win32 apps will be sold in the Windows Store
  • Windows 8 devices equipped with an NFC chip will be able to use a tap-to-share feature to either send content from one device to another, or simply receive content from something like an NFC-equipped card.
  • Logins will use a photo-based system###
  • Apps will be able to natively connect and understand one another (if written as such)
  • Built-in antivirus software will ship in Windows 8
  • There will not be a different edition of Windows 8 for tablets, and presumably, not for Media Centers either
  • It's unclear how many "editions" (Home, Professional, Ultimate, etc.) of Windows 8 there will be
  • ARM devices will be supported, but not in the developer preview

###Logins can also be done with a pin number or traditional password.

Blog entries during the keynote:

Day 0

What's expected:

... and more. We shall see.

ZQ53q.jpg

Zq9pe.jpg

HEy6n.png

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Fitting that you Claviertekky should make this OT seeing as you have been so hyped for this over the last month or so!

What will be baller is if MS gives out free tablets ala Google, and their big conference give aways in the past. Not just because it would be cool, but we'd have more devices out in the wild presumably with Win 8 and getting updates as they come. More chances for us all to get Win 8 info if more people have the tabs out there! :p

PS: 1st!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
On a side note it'll be interesting to see what kind of focus WP7 gets this year, and how much they try and push it. It was LOLtastic at the last few gaming conventions in that it wasn't pushed and the XBL guys were like yeah we don't deal with that. Major Nelson supposedly laughed whenever WP7 was brought up, and was walking around using his iPhone. Not a good sign for corporate unity in terms of pushing WP7.

clav

There are leaks going around the Internet of the proposed 8102 build. Some of them look fake, so I'm not going to post them.

DavieC726

I'm actually looking forward to the BUILD conference quite a bit. It will be nice to officially see what they've done with both the most recent internal build of Windows 8 and the external build coming out / leaking out to the public.

jagowar

Really looking forward to seeing some real windows 8 news (finally put an end to some of the speculation about what will and won't be in there).... and hopefully a little bit of wp7/xbox news mixed in.

clav

Preparing icons for media links.

I apologize in advance that I'm not much of a graphics designer.

Anyone want to suggest a site to be added? PM me.

Reversed

Oh god the similarities with that imageboard.

Anyway, I'm excited for everything coming up. Silly presentations, mind blowing features... anything. :D

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
no link yet but there will be a group live blog by Ed Bott, Mary Jo Foley, Long Zheng, Kip Kniskern, Rafael Rivera and Paul Thurrott.

And there is a build blogger bash thingy that is being live streamed by WP Dev Podcast (14th, 5-7 pacific)

And the Windows Weekly podcast with Paul Thurrott and Mary Jo Foley will of course be there and they have said they want to try and get people's reactions and maybe some interviews with the microsoft people. Windows Weekly airs on Thursdays at 11 pacific at Twit.tv

and then i'm sure channel 9 will have some stuff and of course the W8 blog

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Really curious to see what MS has up their sleeves. They seem like they are within a year of something big.

dLMN8R

Windu said:
Lol damn even the event guide agenda doesn't have anything on it.
Amazing how successful they've been about genuinely keeping everything about the conference a complete secret.

celebi23

You know, I'm normally a huge mac geek and all but, fuck it. I'm excited for Windows 8. Later today should be interesting.

Mr_Zombie

Damn, wish I were there :(
Hope they release the windows 8 build like rumors say; even if it was working only for few days.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I want it all (yeah, yeah), I want it all, I want it all and I want it now.

No seriously, gimme.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
"Use what you know. Do what you've always imagined."

That's a pretty good little slogan if you ask me.

trinest

Mr_Zombie said:
Hope they release the windows 8 build like rumors say; even if it was working only for few days.
Its the thing which I want right now. Windows 8- regardless of what it is- as long as theres a build of some sort.

itxaka

Defeatist
I hope they release the build so I can test it. Or at least it gets leaked soon. I love trying new OS and want to try the Hyper-V solution.

Nero3000

itxaka said:
I hope they release the build so I can test it. Or at least it gets leaked soon. I love trying new OS and want to try the Hyper-V solution.

I think at a minimum they will release a build for all MSDN and Technet subscribers (in addition to the attendees).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom