• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Shinoda [Linkin Park] wrongly explaining benefit of NFTs in videogames is *chef's kiss*

SJRB

Gold Member

This has everything: a gross misunderstanding of videogame development in an artistical, technical and legal way, a failure to understand NFTs and a failure to present actual real life usability of NFTs while still championing NFTs as the next big thing.

4k2w2u.jpg

Robochobo

He's not wrong. An unique model could be tied to a owner through a blockchain contract and only the current owner could import that model in a game.
Except how would you transfer that from Valorant to Fornite? Or to any other game for that matter that's published and developed by a different company? How do they determine who makes money off of the initial purchase of the NFT and possible subsequent sales, if it's going to be usable across multiple games? How will it be implemented in a way that's both feasible to achieve for developers and not counterintuitive for the end user?

There is a Bible length number of questions regarding how NFTs are supposedly meant to benefit games and the people who play them but so far they still haven't been answered nor been implemented in any way to assuage concerns.

Tschumi

All i know about nfts is there's a website somewhere where pixel art cardboard boxes sell for the price of a budget family hatchback.

raptorak

Neo Member

This has everything: a gross misunderstanding of videogame development in an artistical, technical and legal way, a failure to understand NFTs and a failure to present actual real life usability of NFTs while still championing NFTs as the next big thing.

4k2w2u.jpg

The irony in this post regarding understanding NFTs is *chefs kiss*.

GymWolf

Sorry for the noobeism about nfts, but don't you need a game dev artist to create the same skin in multiple games?! I mean you can't really use a fortnite skin in cod if it is not coded into the game right? Stuff doesn't appear out of magic right?

Sorry for the noobeism about nfts, but don't you need a game dev artist to create the same skin in multiple games?! I mean you can't really use a fortnite skin in cod if it is not coded into the game right? Stuff doesn't appear out of magic right?
Yes, there would have to be some sort of official collaboration between the devs. I think it's a decent use case and could get people to buy more MTX.

GymWolf

Yes, there would have to be some sort of official collaboration between the devs. I think it's a decent use case and could get people to buy more MTX.
So the guy is just spouting ignorance because he think that stuff in game doesn't need to be created before hand to be shared in different games?!

Pejo

That is correct. Essentially you'd need to standardize character models for all games to be able to do something like this, or else all devs would have to model every NFT "costume" or whatever in every game (lmao).

raptorak

Neo Member
Yes, unless the game is designed to support the asset.

Also, an NFT could simply be acting as an unlock code for said skin in game, or it could allow you own land in the game (Decentraland for example) so could potentially show up as a multitude of different things in different applications if needed. Generally games that use blockchain right now are built from the ground up to do so, but it is quite a simple thing to add support for NFTs to existing games especially if all you are doing is purely cosmetic.

Basically NFT should really be looked at as a unique code very similar to a bitcoin but with some extra bells and whistles, it can be as basic as just appearing as a jpeg as most are these days given the cash grab nature of the crypto market, but the use cases can be fairly diverse (if not necessarily useful, or particularly welcomed).

Lanrutcon

No developers are going to spend time implementing assets from another game unless their game benefits from it financially.

You want to use that Valorant skin in Fortnite? Someone will have to pay Epic just for the priviledge, nevermind the actual effort to implement & regulate.

Anyone remember Spore? All the shit involved in uploading your creations? And that was a game specifically designed to support that activity from day 1.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I have trouble importing different 3D assets between DCCs that actually say they have support for the different file formats yet some people think we'll be able to transfer these "skins" between separate game engines easily?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
That sounds like something people would say about the internet 30 years ago
They said nothing but nice things about the internet. They were overly utopian about it actually. The functionality was clear.

With NFTs, we're in the utopian phase and no one can even come up with compelling reasons for it to exist outside of a handful of people talking about contracts.

Godot25

Banned
Also, an NFT could simply be acting as an unlock code for said skin in game, or it could allow you own land in the game
But why would publishers do that?
I mean. If I bought NFT from Ghost Recon Breakpoint and then want to migrate that stupid skin to Fortnite, why on Earth would Epic allow me to do that?
They want to sell their own cosmetics, right? Not allowing me to use cosmetics i paid Ubisoft to get because there is no money for Epic in it.

Either I'm stupid that I don't understand how any of it works or some assholes found new "get rich quick" scheme in videogames world.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
You will never be able to use any cosmetics, weapons or anything else from one game to another. Publishers will not allow it. This is nothing more than macro-tansactions. It's the 2022 version of the Diablo 3 'auction house'. It does not benefit gamers and the only reason publishers are touting this to stockholders is because they get a cut of any sale. Problem is, is no gamers care. Sure there might be a few whales out there who stupidly buy something for stupid prices but generally no gamers care. This will be dead by the end of 2022!

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Suuuure. That's how video games work.
You put a secret nft code in any game and your skin appears there
Blink 182 Reaction GIF

Vae_Victis

Banned
But why would publishers do that?
I mean. If I bought NFT from Ghost Recon Breakpoint and then want to migrate that stupid skin to Fortnite, why on Earth would Epic allow me to do that?
They want to sell their own cosmetics, right? Not allowing me to use cosmetics i paid Ubisoft to get because there is no money for Epic in it.

Either I'm stupid that I don't understand how any of it works or some assholes found new "get rich quick" scheme in videogames world.

No, you're not stupid. What Mike Shinoda wrote is completely impractical for a hundred reasons, and more to the point, NFTs being involved or not might solve 20% of those reasons at best.

He seems to think than an NFT is like a Lego brick, that you can take away from one Lego set and attach to another Lego set with minimal issues or inconvenience. He thinks when you sell your NFT, you are selling an actual 3D, meshed, textured and coded model from a video game as its own thing, and you can import it in another game. That's obviously not how any of this works.

NFTs are decentralized digital licenses. It's a key that tells a software whether you "own" that one key, but owning that one key will then do whatever the software at the other end is designed to do, which could be anything. Could you in theory use the same NFT to activate ownership of something on two different platforms? Yes. Do you need an NFT to do so? No. It could make the process a bit easier on the developer's side, but that's not the main reason why nobody does that without NFTs. Nothing right now prevents this same thing to happen without NFTs. It technically already happens in some limited forms, since I could for example need to redeem a DLC for a game through a developer's website account, and then make Steam also accept that I own that DLC (see: Total War Warhammer's free content exclusive for having a Total War Access account).

The fact that you can "transfer" an NFT from one end product to another is not the reason why all industries are pushing for them though. Case in point, nobody actually does that, even after implementing NFTs, they remain connected to a single marketplace/issuer and it's just users of that one platform passing them around inside of it. Ubisoft didn't reach out to Activision and EA to make a deal to debut with cross-franchise NFTs. They just gave them away as a form of in-game item, like any other in-game item ever. Same thing did Molyneux with his soon-to-be scam.

The real "point" of NFTs is to add artificial value to things by creating artificial scarcity, and simultaneously allowing people to play the market game in a decentralized manner. The added value coming from the artificial scarcity of the item connected to the NFT is completely arbitrary (and there is virtually zero legal control over where the money comes or goes), therefore it's stupidly easy to manipulate it via simple monetary operations and social media actions. You can create anything, raise its price as much as you want by selling it to yourself 50 times via sock-puppet accounts, with close to zero losses or risks. Then some muppet who doesn't know any better reads Reddit and Facebook posts (often upvoted thousands of times by bots and upvote farms) or website articles (often undisclosed advertorials) praising cyptos and NFTs as the second coming of Christ, and buys whatever bullshit you are selling for a ridiculous figure thinking it's going tO ThE moOn. So you immediately cash out for $5,000, you already won and somebody else is stuck with the hot potato.

Maybe the buyer will be lucky and sell it to some other idiot for $6,000. Maybe the whole thing will crash down on them, and they'll be out of $5,000 with nothing to show for it but an ugly jpg cartoon monkey or a 3D house from Molyneux's shit game. It's impossible to predict how or when the house of cards collapses. It's the textbook definition of a speculative bubble.

tl;dr: just like lootboxes were a legally dubious means to monetize from gambling addicts, NFTs will be the legally dubious way to monetize from clueless wannabe brokers.

niilokin

yes just import your model fbx file to every game engine and tpose the shit outta your enemies

imported this simple daz 3d model into blender with wrong fbx type (try not to look at his junk)

Dz94rNoE_o.png

I've never seen a fucking digital man made of polygons suffer so greatly....

is7DO43f_o.png

Last edited:

playXray

He's not wrong. An unique model could be tied to a owner through a blockchain contract and only the current owner could import that model in a game.
That's not how NFTs work though, you could do that with anything. Just because you have the right to say you own an original piece of digital art doesn't give you the right to reproduce it in any form (or necessarily at all). The copyright to the design with remain with the creator, and even if this were signed up, the rights to the digital copy in a different game would be completely separate. In addition to this, you would also have to pay the developers of the game to add it, which will presumably come with additional cost as well as licencing issues from the copyright owner.

In short, Mike hasn't really grasped the reality of NFTs here.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
That's not how NFTs work though, you could do that with anything. Just because you have the right to say you own an original piece of digital art doesn't give you the right to reproduce it in any form (or necessarily at all). The copyright to the design with remain with the creator, and even if this were signed up, the rights to the digital copy in a different game would be completely separate. In addition to this, you would also have to pay the developers of the game to add it, which will presumably come with additional cost as well as licencing issues from the copyright owner.

In short, Mike hasn't really grasped the reality of NFTs here.
Yep. It's not actual ownership of anything but a receipt.

When you buy a movie at the store it doesn't mean you own the rights to the movie. It's literally nothing. An "individual" digital good, that's identical to every other one out there.

Miles708

NFT's are the dream of every unproductive middleman on earth and y'all better start shutting your mouths or you'll jinx it!

Neilg

And to make this possible, both developers have to invest about $80,000 worth of manpower in art, coding, backend, bug testing, and implementation. Are they getting paid to cover that? if they own the NFT, they get 10% when it trades, so for a developer to offer a blanket 'we will import an nft into our game', they need to a) already be the ones that made the NFT and b) have that single NFT been traded for a total of $800k USD.

NEVER going to happen. it's a fucking insane fantasy. there's lots of things you 'could' do but if they dont make economic sense, the bean counters will not approve it. simple as that.

Last edited:

elliot5

In order for something like this to be possible all game assets and engines would have to be fully compatible with each other. Same file types, same coordinate cardinality, etc etc. basically a universal standard for every format and a universal engine. Aka centralization.

But the NFT blockchain is decentralized so it’s all good!!

You can’t get people to agree upon one standard or protocol and the idea that people and companies will all comply with something like this is so fucking dumb

Last edited:

Three

I don't understand the hate/love for NFTs. Whatever people are suggesting to screw you over can be done without NFTs. Whatever positives he thinks it gives can be done without NFTs.

Limited downloads DLC in a game? Can be done without NFTs.

Selling dumb art online? Can be done without NFTs.

NFTs are just a tool. It would be like receiving a letter that said F*** You and blaming pens.

This is an example of somebody not understanding NFTs in the opposite direction. Thinking a positive idea is due to NFTs.

elliot5

I don't understand the hate/love for NFTs. Whatever people are suggesting to screw you over can be done without NFTs. Whatever positives he thinks it gives can be done without NFTs.

Limited downloads DLC in a game? Can be done without NFTs.

Selling dumb art online? Can be done without NFTs.

NFTs are just a tool. It would be like receiving a letter that said F*** You and blaming pens.

This is an example of somebody not understanding NFTs in the opposite direction. Thinking a positive idea is due to NFTs.
A tool that consumes a lot of energy and adds artificial value in an unregulated area. Hardly a good tool

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
You can convince yourself anything is a NFT it’s such a sloppy new thing since I can remember people talked themselves in the last ten years into Facebook, tik-tok etc. what’s NFTs big appeal?

Top Bottom