• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Shinoda [Linkin Park] wrongly explaining benefit of NFTs in videogames is *chef's kiss*

Shut0wen

So far, nobody knows what NFTs are good for in video games. It's a feature of an emerging market, the next 5 years will be about finding out how to capitalize on the possibilities.
The thing is what is saying is impossible unless publishers work together but at the same time its still more word load for developers to implement what hes suggesting, if valorant runs on dource engine, you cant transfer it over to unreal engine game unless that said developer agreed to do, could it happen? Absolutely but publishers would have to join together which it'll never happen since they all want the slice of pie, only developer so far who had the right idea for an nft was the stalker 2 devs, fuck knows what ubisoft is trying to do with theres but what mike is suggesting is quite impossible

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
What he's referring to isn't possible now, however I could see it being possible in the Metaverse.

Here's a killa QUAKE skin I did as an NFT man!

1r5oMVJ.png

Sorry OP, while he’s pushing it to a logical limit, he’s right and that is in fact the major benefit. Developing a whole platform for various companies to develop off is really interesting. You could take a character in a card battler and utilize it in another RPG. Axie Infinity has it right if anyones curious.

ZywyPL

Banned
He actually thinks you could just transfer models and textures across various games (on any platform) this easily?

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

He's obviously clueless, but man, what a fantastic idea, just think about it - just like your online ID your uniqe colour scheme would also travel from game to game, that woul be so awesome.

Using current games is his only mistake.
Centralization and automation will make the contracts and content generation possible. When there's money to be made no company will give a fuck about art styles, contract hurdles or blockchain delays. Arguing against this is like arguing against Apple's Cingular deal. Last year's Metaverse introduction is the equivalent of hearing about an Apple phone in 2002.
We already had a smart example of problem solving with Ubisoft's NFTs - it's a common item with a unique serial number printed on it. That's one way to circumvent the content generation bottleneck. We'll see the same items in every modern or near future game they make, from Splinter Cell to AssCreed's modern sections.
You think THQ is not currently planning a partially AI-driven NFT content pipeline to be shared among their 7897897 studios? That Epic and Weta are not hard at work on cross-game and cross-platform solutions? That Meta and Carmack are not aware of the need to transfer assets from one engine to another with minimum fuss?

Neilg

You think THQ is not currently planning a partially AI-driven NFT content pipeline to be shared among their 7897897 studios? That Epic and Weta are not hard at work on cross-game and cross-platform solutions? That Meta and Carmack are not aware of the need to transfer assets from one engine to another with minimum fuss?

I absolutely believe that none of those things are happening, yes. At most you might get some exec who spends his days behind a walnut desk calling in a CTO to ask them to look into it, the exec will go tell the board they're cooking something up, it'll get a mountain of clickbait articles and push their stock price up, and in 6 months the CTO gives a presentation about how much it's going to cost and why it isn't going to work, and they'll quietly move on without mentioning it again.

Everyone into crypto pushing this kind of things keeps taking the angle of 'but you dont understand the tech' - however, as someone who does completely understand the tech, is working with people on an NFT project (they're all pyramid schemes but if someone is going to make money off idiots, why not me), these lofty cross platform integrations into existing games that people actually want to buy and play are all stupid pipedreams.
You're going to get nft's in facebooks shitty roblox knockoff and thats it.

edit: you clearly dont understand AI at all either if you think you can develop a cross platform translation process that uses it. code is exact, either the pipeline is automated and doesnt need AI, or it requires manual work. There is no room for variants and best guesses, which is all AI is. 'close enough' isnt a thing in code.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
I love the new trend of boomers discovering NFTs and trying to sell the idea to gamers who have been buying skins/cosmetics/DLCs for the last 15 years. What a time to be alive.
Those gamers who actually bought that crap for the past 15 years are exactly the type of gullible idiots who are the targets for this

He's not wrong. An unique model could be tied to a owner through a blockchain contract and only the current owner could import that model in a game.

Which makes it fucking useless, because only the devs have the engine and toolchain access to import any externally created asset into their game. They aren't going to open up any of that tech to gamers simply so gamers can feel like they own a piece of digital tat.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Even if this were possible, games companies want to use NFT's to make more money, not less. They want to be able to sell a thousand copies of the exact same skin (so no extra work on their part) as 1000 individual unique collectable items and then also take a cut if they are sold to other players.

Barakov

Gold Member
I think the biggest hurdle would be to get everyone in the industry, and I mean EVERYONE, to agree on this and implement it for their game, engine etc. And I just don't see it happening. Cross play is one thing but right now this seems at best daunting and at worst impossible. It just seems like there's too many moving parts with this for it to be feasible for a large corporation much less one developer making the game from his house or wherever.

chonga

The asset has to be in the game before the NFT is part of the equation at all. The reason is that the asset has to be in EVERYONE's game, not just the "owner" of the skin, otherwise other players would not be able to see that asset in their game (even if they are not the one equipping it).
Well, theoretically it wouldn't. Instead you just download the whole blockchain to the system and games can read from that. Which in the case of Ethereum is only 10TB right now. No big deal.

Either that or each time you enter a lobby you're going to have to wait to download everyone's individual pieces - and each time a player entered a lobby in progress and so on.

It is not workable.

NFTs are a prime example of people trying to capitalize on "computer illiterate" people.

I work as data engineer and my primary job is to integrate data from a a lot of different sources we mostly do it via batch, streaming or apis and o can say that NFTs bring absolutely nothing new.

IF developers wanted to share skins and make some kind of "free" market with their assets it can already be done and it would be orders of magnitude more simple than give support to NFTs.

The concept of "uniqueness" in the digital world is dumb, every single piece of binary code ever created can be reproduced and that's exactly what makes the internet viable (hard to understand? Just think about a YouTube video and how from a single source it can be watched a infinite amount of times).

Ozarkx

Banned
NFTs are a prime example of people trying to capitalize on "computer illiterate" people.

I work as data engineer and my primary job is to integrate data from a a lot of different sources we mostly do it via batch, streaming or apis and o can say that NFTs bring absolutely nothing new.

IF developers wanted to share skins and make some kind of "free" market with their assets it can already be done and it would be orders of magnitude more simple than give support to NFTs.

The concept of "uniqueness" in the digital world is dumb, every single piece of binary code ever created can be reproduced and that's exactly what makes the internet viable (hard to understand? Just think about a YouTube video and how from a single source it can be watched a infinite amount of times).

I’m surprised ppl are still talking about nfts.
I thought the retro video game market pricing lately was the most obvious scam, but at least you have a physical copy to grab or staple to a wall.

Why?

Are some people lost enough to actually see value in this crap?

Last edited:
when people say chefs kiss i imagine the hands like this 🤌 but instead of a chefs face it’s a butt spraying brown stuff cause chefs kiss is overused and overdone

Zoanoid33

Not like it would ever happen but could they technically make digital games into NFTs so it could allow people to buy and sell them on a marketplace?

Maybe there could be some utility to NFTs in gaming if it is done in a new and unique way. It seems like a tool that can be used for all sorts of ideas in games if you think outside the norm.

Of course we have to wait for the quick cash grabs and scummy first implementations but who is to say someone can't come up with a sweet utility for NFTs in the future?

HarryKS

From the little I've seen of Shinoda, I peg him as a decent dude, but it's obvious his entourage is selling him an idea that does not match reality.

Maybe we're missing context and it's satire.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
All I know about NFT's are that they seem like an excellent way to launder money. . .just like crypto. Probably why it seems big with some of the scummiest looking people in the world.

HarryKS

Not like it would ever happen but could they technically make digital games into NFTs so it could allow people to buy and sell them on a marketplace?

Maybe there could be some utility to NFTs in gaming if it is done in a new and unique way. It seems like a tool that can be used for all sorts of ideas in games if you think outside the norm.

Of course we have to wait for the quick cash grabs and scummy first implementations but who is to say someone can't come up with a sweet utility for NFTs in the future?
The problems with NFTs are not a flaw that can be rectified. They are by design. It's the feature itself.

I thought the retro video game market pricing lately was the most obvious scam, but at least you have a physical copy to grab or staple to a wall.

Why?

It have potential to create a ton of speculative value. It's like something that simple pop up and double or tenfold it's own value if used correctly.

The reason that the ones pushing NFTs are mostly e-celebs "influencers" and tv/music artists is because they know that they can sell those things s for a lot of profit if they "tell the right stories".

Just imagine things like "buy the 5 skin's used by the Dota 2 TI we're gonna sell only one copie of each for the highest bidders"... Now those said skins can be the SAME skins the game have on the store but because of the "story" attached to the said uniqueness of the NFTs those 5 "versions"(they can look exactly the same as the regular ones) would bear a lot of value for dumb people that like to brag about owning things.

The thought process is very simple, get something that's easy to make(anything cheap or useless like a ugly jpg of a monkey) give it a NFT code, attach a good "story" to it and watches a lot of dumb crayon eaters fighting themselves to give you a lot of money

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Why?

People buy art, so probably.

TonyK

He's not wrong. An unique model could be tied to a owner through a blockchain contract and only the current owner could import that model in a game.
So now games with different engines can share 3D models and animations on the fly? It doesn't work in that way. If you own a NFT weapon in COD that magically doesn't make it implementable in Battlefield.

Sophist

So now games with different engines can share 3D models and animations on the fly? It doesn't work in that way. If you own a NFT weapon in COD that magically doesn't make it implementable in Battlefield.
Being able to import models from different formats, using conversion or not, has been common for years (See Datasmith or FBX, for example). The main problem for shooting games like Fortnite or COD would be the hit boxes. I was thinking more about stuff like VRChat where unique models are already a thing and cost around $600 per model. Note that Mike Shinoda is talking about skins which are not necessary 3d models but could be as simple as imported textures. I could import a texture tied to a NFT contract proving that that texture was made by a high profile artist; It would be like wearing haute couture IRL. That would be fantastic. The kids designing custom models or skins for VRChat today are the grand couturiers of tomorrow. A whole new economy could be build on this.

Last edited:

TonyK

Being able to import models from different formats, using conversion or not, has been common for years (See Datasmith or FBX, for example). The main problem for shooting games like Fortnite or COD would be the hit boxes. I was thinking more about stuff like VRChat where unique models are already a thing and cost around $600 per model. Note that Mike Shinoda is talking about skins which are not necessary 3d models but could be as simple as imported textures. I could import a texture tied to a NFT contract proving that that texture was made by a high profile artist; It would be like wearing haute couture IRL. That would be fantastic. The kids designing custom models or skins for VRChat today are the grand couturiers of tomorrow. A whole new economy could be build on this.
A skin is not so simple as a texture change. Usually they implies a change in the 3D model. And again, the artists should share the same model. It's not probable that COD and Battlefield, for example, share their assets to competitors.

I think this would be only viable between games of the same company, as Ubisoft games, for example.

GymWolf

yes just import your model fbx file to every game engine and tpose the shit outta your enemies

imported this simple daz 3d model into blender with wrong fbx type (try not to look at his junk)

Dz94rNoE_o.png

I've never seen a fucking digital man made of polygons suffer so greatly....

is7DO43f_o.png
Dude you need to work on dead space remake.

Consumer

If anything, NFTs are probably just gonna be confined to individual games so that, for example, instead of everyone running around with the Simon "Ghost" Riley skin in MWII, only the richest player will get to use it 🤡

Skifi28

I have no idea why everybody's trying to sell us the idea of NFT's, even when they themselves don't really know what they are or how they work. Is there some mass conspiracy going on?

All i know about nfts is there's a website somewhere where pixel art cardboard boxes sell for the price of a budget family hatchback.
My favorite ones are the kindergarten drawings that parents get that they turn into NFT's and sell for 5 Ethereum because they think their kids fucking Picasso.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I actually view NFTs in the same way as in the original post - if they aren't portable and usable outside of the ecosystem they are created in, then they don't hold much value because you're at the whim of the platform holder. This is supposed to be the Promise of the metaverse and why NFTs seems to be a natural fit in that paradigm. Whether skins for a specific game prove to be a good fit in that model, to me is highly unlikely. That's why I don't see the point of NFTs for videogames other than promoting speculation on the perceived rarity of an item, which of course whenever it changes hands the platform holder will get their cut. It's Lootbox 2.0 in that model.

Last edited:

Neilg

Being able to import models from different formats, using conversion or not, has been common for years (See Datasmith or FBX, for example). The main problem for shooting games like Fortnite or COD would be the hit boxes.

You dont understand enough about 3d software or game development to be making this claim.
The main problem is not 'hitboxes'.
VR chat is not a valid comparison point to AAA games. and people are already making $600 to make a one off custom VR chat model, what does an NFT add to the mix?

i don’t really understand but why do people freak out about NFT’s? What is the actual negative if they’re in a game and people wanna pay for em? I would never but I don’t care how other people spend their money

STARSBarry

Gold Member
i don’t really understand but why do people freak out about NFT’s? What is the actual negative if they’re in a game and people wanna pay for em? I would never but I don’t care how other people spend their money

This is like asking what is the negative aspect of lootboxes on gaming because you would never personally use them.

It means games are designed around a consistant revenue stream first and as a game second. You can see what effect DLC and lootboxes have had over the last decade and a half on gaming.

Essentially it's anouther anti consumer golden goose that company's can throw there weight behind instead of "trying to make a good game"

You might as well be asking why a pyramid scheme should be made illegal because you would never invest in one.

There seen as a solution to a problem that has yet to be created, a solution that costs so far quite a premium.

Last edited:
Top Bottom