• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Ybarra - Tipping Game Creators $10 or $20 on Top of the $70 Price is a Great Idea.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"When I beat a game, there are some that just leave me in awe of how amazing the experience was. At the end of the game, I've often thought 'I wish I could give these folks another $10 or $20 because it was worth more than my initial $70 and they didn't try to nickel and dime me every second.'"

As an example of such games, he mentioned Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2, Baldur's Gate 3, and Elden Ring. "I know $70 is already a lot, but it's an option at the end of the game I wish I had at times. Some games are that special."

Ybarra was ready for his idea to be disliked, and he was partly right: I was surprised how many people actually agreed this was something to consider. Interestingly, Ybarra thinks this would be different from the toxic tipping trends the US has now: "I view this different from a pressure to tip type scenario many face and give feedback on."

Last edited:

ManaByte

Mike Myers No GIF

nemiroff

Gold Member
Tip for Horizon Zero Dawn..? 😅

Anyway, why would I tip a multi-billion dollar dev? Makes no sense.

*buys a 30 dollar COD skin*

gothmog

Gold Member
This actually sounds like a good idea. I'd rather drop an extra $20 at the end of a really well crafted game by my choice than get nickel and dimed with half-assed battle passes, unfinished endgames, and pre order cosmetics. I don't want that crap, but I would love to reinforce that I enjoy a well crafted, finished game.

There were a few times with HD2 that I wished I could tip the developers. I could see this working with live service games that really lean into the live aspects.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Ever wondered how fresh your sandwich breads are?

One shows a male putting his genitals on what appears to be a loaf of Subway bread. In the other, a hand is shown holding what used to be a water bottle that’s half-filled with a cream-colored substance. Under it is the caption: “Today at work I froze my pee.”

Bry0

Do what Grim Dawn does, they have little supporter skin packs for like $7.99 or something. The problem is the negative perception of being “encouraged” to tip for something like this does more harm than good. It always makes it feel like there is a huge disconnect between the customer and the product/service when you get prompted to tip out of the blue.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
what if video game in the future, require you to pay some tips before you start the game?

Credit card setup will be compulsory requirement

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
These folks will find anyway they can to make you part with every cent in your bank account. I hope gaming bombs at some point.

MTXs for no value digital goods, battle passes, ads, and now they want tips. This guy is a complete moron.

However, some people will grab those knee pads and throw money at them. It is only going to get worse as they figure more ways to get you to give them more funds.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

what if video game in the future, require you to pay some tips before you start the game?

Credit card setup will be compulsory requirement
You will get Square check out form pop up when you first launch the game with 20% automatically selected, and 25% and 30% being the only other options. There will be a small tiny “Custom Tip” text toward the button of the screen.

I can see Take2 trying that, lol.

sqimage033.jpg

Edit: Also, 😂😂😂 at anyone who thinks that money would go to actual developers.

Last edited:

Akuji

If the game is that special and u wanna tip ... buy liscensed Merchandising? Not that dufficult to come up with lol.

Even small games iften have the ost for a few bucks avaiable, in digital form ofc but u still support them, depending on the customrr its a plus because shelf space us already limited

Pop

This actually sounds like a good idea. I'd rather drop an extra $20 at the end of a really well crafted game by my choice than get nickel and dimed with half-assed battle passes, unfinished endgames, and pre order cosmetics. I don't want that crap, but I would love to reinforce that I enjoy a well crafted, finished game.

There were a few times with HD2 that I wished I could tip the developers. I could see this working with live service games that really lean into the live aspects.
See this is why the industry says shit like this. People like you

Banjo64

cumsessed
The reason why the industry is headed in the direction it is, is because of the attitude in this very thread.

When SP gamers are asked to spend more money they riot.

MP gamers like spending $20 dollars on a new skin.

Do not be confused as to why you're no longer being catered to SP gamers.
Please can you explain what you mean?

Tears of the Kingdom sold 20m copies. If you average that at out at $70 a copy they’ve already made over $1.4b.

It was actually over 20m copies as of December 2023.

How much profit do you think these companies actually need?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The reason why the industry is headed in the direction it is, is because of the attitude in this very thread.

When SP gamers are asked to spend more money they riot.

MP gamers like spending $20 dollars on a new skin.

Do not be confused as to why you're no longer being catered to SP gamers.
You must have missed the part where the majority of these sp games are coming from multi billion dollar companies. They don't need more money. Period.

Top Bottom