• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mike Ybarra - Tipping Game Creators $10 or $20 on Top of the $70 Price is a Great Idea.

Tipping is giving a reward for a special service or effort, which means that it must be voluntary.

Forced tipping is incorrect according to its definition in the English dictionary. It also goes against rewarding good services by not distinguishing the good from the bad.

Back to Ybarra, another poster mentioned that this is testing waters and I agree. This narrative must be stopped from the start.

CLW

Tipping has gotten OUT OF CONTROL - I’d like a tip for this post please

No Money Animation GIF by Mashed

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Please give me a single rational reason why worker group X should be tipped for doing their job but not group Y. You cannot. Unless you think everyone should be tipped, which is also a pretty insane idea.
Because people in tip happy jobs think because they are the closest to the customer (waiter, taxi guy etc....) they deserve the tips as priority. They are the last ones interacting and they handle the bill, so in their minds they should get it While the cook, dishwasher, or mechanics and dispatcher dont.

MarkMe2525

If it's optional and money goes directly to dev studio, I would not be offended by the option. I would not do it often, but I have played a few budget titles that I feel like a tip was appropriate.

See this is why the industry says shit like this. People like you
You prefer modern game monetization strategies that was listed by the user you replied too? You defend the strategies and then blame someone offering an alternative as the reason the mentioned strategies exists, I don't get it. Maybe I'm reading you wrong.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Because people in tip happy jobs think because they are the closest to the customer (waiter, taxi guy etc....) they deserve the tips as priority. They are the last ones interacting and they handle the bill, so in their minds they should get it While the cook, dishwasher, or mechanics and dispatcher dont.

Yeah, which makes zero sense. Each of these people are just doing their jobs. None of them are more deserving of tips than the other, they should simply each be paid what their job is worth.

Skifi28

You prefer modern game monetization strategies that was listed by the user you replied too? You defend the strategies and then blame someone offering an alternative as the reason the mentioned strategies exists, I don't get it. Maybe I'm reading you wrong.
Problem is it wouldn't be an alternative.

Dthomp

Fuck you, the tip you get is me buying your next game day 1 at full price if you'd not stay so focused on fucking DLC for years that I don't buy or want.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Didn't all publishers and developers say a few years ago when justifying the $70 price hike for games, that it will reduce the MTX and other charges to the consumer. But will be needed top make these new next-gen games.

Now they think they need tips?

Still have $100+ deluxe editions (to play early...and other crap), still have MTX, still have pricey DLC (which many were obviously cut from the full games).

Give them more and they want to take more.

MarkMe2525

Problem is it wouldn't be an alternative.
What? That doesn't make sense, unless you are just referring to a general price increase. If the "tip" unlocked extra content, then it's just a micro transaction. So again, how is the user, who said they wouldn't mind tipping if that reduced today's monetization strategies, the problem?

Belthazar

Yeah... I bet his endgame would be end up paying the same unlivable wages they pay to waiters in the US, which would be complimented by tips.

BlackTron

I was thinking about this the other day. I'm supposed to tip if I order takeout, and I hear some arguments about why you still should. Such as how preparing your order still takes time away from other tasks and tipping customers.

But if I ordered delivery, only the driver would be tipped. The person who arranged and bagged the order would get nothing. By the logic of tipping for takeout, I am screwing someone who isn't getting paid enough if I order delivery instead. Their job didn't change at all, yet...

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Ybarra is a fucking idiot, and this is one of the most retarded things I've ever heard.

Games are already despicably overpriced, and he's suggesting that more money is handed over? Fuck him. The entitlement is just mind shattering.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
The reason why the industry is headed in the direction it is, is because of the attitude in this very thread.

When SP gamers are asked to spend more money they riot.

MP gamers like spending $20 dollars on a new skin.

Do not be confused as to why you're no longer being catered to SP gamers.
Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Reallink

This is the jackass that sold raid boosts with his guild in WoW when he was co-president of Blizzard, people paid real world money to be run through raids to get the gear. Guy is as bottom of the sewer sludge as they come.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When it comes to this kind of grifting at the push of a button, it's just one of those things like mtx. The theory is there's tons of gamers, a lot of gamers dont buy mtx, many buy a bit, then a small minority of gamers are whales.

If gamers keep playing games how they are now, the industry is growing, mtx is an accepted norm, then chances are e-tipping will too. All it really requires is the studio adding in their e-store a tip option box where you pay money and get nothing in return except perhaps a quick note saying the devs appreciate the extra money. Just leave the tip option there and see where it goes. Probably the easiest thing to add by their ecom programmers. If 99/100 people donate nothing who cares. All it takes is 1 guy to donate $1000 because he's a big fan and that's $1000 bonus bucks for the company.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

The reason why the industry is headed in the direction it is, is because of the attitude in this very thread.

When SP gamers are asked to spend more money they riot.

MP gamers like spending $20 dollars on a new skin.

Do not be confused as to why you're no longer being catered to SP gamers.
And I refuse for decades now to buy MP games. That’s fine, it it comes to worst I’m sure I can find 20 200 hours each SP games I never played, just started Fallout 4.

DaGwaphics

When it comes to this kind of grifting at the push of a button, it's just one of those things like mtx. The theory is there's tons of gamers, a lot of gamers dont buy mtx, many buy a bit, then a small minority of gamers are whales.

If gamers keep playing games how they are now, the industry is growing, mtx is an accepted norm, then chances are e-tipping will too. All it really requires is the studio adding in their e-store a tip option box where you pay money and get nothing in return except perhaps a quick note saying the devs appreciate the extra money. Just leave the tip option there and see where it goes. Probably the easiest thing to add by their ecom programmers. If 99/100 people donate nothing who cares. All it takes is 1 guy to donate $1000 because he's a big fan and that's $1000 bonus bucks for the company.

Exactly. At least this method wouldn't be figured into the game logic itself.

There are certain things where tipping is expected as that is the primary way the worker is getting paid (wait staff, cab drivers, pizza delivery, etc.). I'm not sure if gaming fits that structure very well, but if someone really loves a game and wants to contribute more towards it, more power to them. Doesn't seem like it hurts anything at all.

Dr_Ifto

Sorry I am late to this conversation, but I just have to say this is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. That tip money would never make it to the developers. Just the publisher or the company. It wouldn't trickle down to the developers.

Cyberpunkd

Tipping is giving a reward for a special service or effort, which means that it must be voluntary.
This is what tipping is in Europe, in the US it is viewed as a certainty and anyone not abiding by it faces significant social pressure. Because of ridiculous federal minimum wage for restaurant workers (we are talking $2 per hour) tipping guarantees a livelihood of millions of people.

Terrible? Yes
Dehumanizing? Of course

But...

Happy World Cup GIF by FIFA

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The question is, even if someone is voluntarily tipping a game, what guarantee is that the tipped amount is going in any way to the tens of developers who actually made the game, and not to one of the executives?

nush

This ends with the in game character breaking the 4th wall turning to the player and saying”If your enjoying this game be sure to subscribe to our tips service so we can keep making great games like this”,

GHound

The question is, even if someone is voluntarily tipping a game, what guarantee is that the tipped amount is going in any way to the tens of developers who actually made the game, and not to one of the executives?
I think he doesn't care so long as it's going directly into his personal bank account if we're being perfectly honest.

Top Bottom