• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Million Dollar Idea: Can we get an asymmetric multiplayer game where your class is tied to the # in your party?

Does this concept sound like a million dollar idea?

• Absolutely. One million dollars for sure.

• Might be a thousand dollar idea. I'd be intrigued.

• This is a hundred dollar idea. I don't see it working.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Playing some multiplayer solo? You get the Hulk class.

Playing some multiplayer with a bud? You get the Chewey and Han Solo class.

Playing some multiplayer with two friends? You get the Three Musketeer class.

Playing some multiplayer with three guys? You get the Sex and the City class.

When are we going to get a big, open world multiplayer game where all players, regardless of party size, are thrown into the same lobbies - only your power scales with the number of teammates in your group? It would make navigating the worlds so much more interesting and varied right?

Phase

Interesting concept, though it is limiting in terms of choice. I assume many would want to play as other classes eventually despite only playing solo, for example. Maybe you could have multiple choices per class. I guess you could also queue into what class you'd want to play.

The idea has a lot of potential, but it would be very hard to pull off.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
It would have to be balanced in a way where the next higher numbered group needs to be stronger than the one before if played optimally, otherwise you'd risk having players be at the mercy of their idiot teammates and you'd wish you could then play solo with the powerful class.

WitchHunter

Banned
Playing some multiplayer solo? You get the Hulk class.

Playing some multiplayer with a bud? You get the Chewey and Han Solo class.

Playing some multiplayer with two friends? You get the Three Musketeer class.

Playing some multiplayer with three guys? You get the Sex and the City class.

When are we going to get a big, open world multiplayer game where all players, regardless of party size, are thrown into the same lobbies - only your power scales with the number of teammates in your group? It would make navigating the worlds so much more interesting and varied right?
Flammenwerfer all these fucking multiplayer shit games. Ban them all.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Interesting concept, though it is limiting in terms of choice. I assume many would want to play as other classes eventually despite only playing solo, for example. Maybe you could have multiple choices per class. I guess you could also queue into what class you'd want to play.

The idea has a lot of potential, but it would be very hard to pull off.
7fe9ca7969ad0611a43ff2875e1eaa62e9d48749.gif

It would have to be balanced in a way where the next higher numbered group needs to be stronger than the one before if played optimally, otherwise you'd risk having players be at the mercy of their idiot teammates and you'd wish you could then play solo with the powerful class.

I think the idea would be that its relatively easy to play with at least one friend/non idiot teammate - but if no one's on, you're still viable playing solo.

In essence, the game removes the risk of playing with idiots.

Currently playing The Finals and ~60% of my matches are with 2 idiot teammates and 40% I get one cool bro.

Last edited:
I think Sea of Thieves does decent with the balancing. I've seen many videos of skilled solo sloop players absolutely smoking 4 player galleons on YouTube.

POKEYCLYDE

I play Apex with a couple friends. We're not the best but we're no slouches either. All this to say we've gotten our asses stomped multiple times by a solo sweat. And that's on somewhat even playing field.

The skill gap between a person trying to casually have fun with friends and that solo sweat who plays all day everyday will only be exponentially greater if you give them the advantage of being the "hulk" class because they're "alone".

Balancing and any type of SBMM would be an absolute nightmare.

This just sounds like regular co-op style balancing, but nerfing character strength instead of buffing enemy health.

Unless I’m missing something.

For a GAAS game expert, you sure don’t understand engagement.

This is how Sony would make a GAAS game.

Solid engagement comes with deep, repeatable mechanics where you get good over time. Making your class a lottery system means players won’t get to play what they are enjoying the most.

I recently tried Suicide Squad alpha. Out of 4 criminals, i found King Shark to be most my type. Its traversal I found most intuitive and something I can spend time to learn. If they give me class randomly, that would suck.

Top Bottom