• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milly Bobby Brown is…DAMSEL (Netflix)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Finally the Tomb Raider/Frozen/Predator crossover we've all been clamoring for!

Nankatsu

Gold Member
So tonight you join a long line of women who have helped to build this kingdom

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Reminded me of Dragonslayer a little bit. I assume she's meant to be sacrificed but she'll buck the trend of course.

mortal

Gold Member
Going by that trailer, it looks very uninspired.
From the setting to the premise, even the feminist trope deconstruction angle is already played out.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The trailer wasn't bad, but I refuse to be optimistic for more than one Netflix project. 3 Body Problem don't fail me now.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This looks like everything wrong with modern filmmaking.

But if it is a hard R and she pulls a No Hard Feelings then I'm in.

Otherwise this looks to be as boring and predictable as it gets.

Tell me this is actually a Krull remake though and I'm in! Otherwise I don't really care if MBB can fight her way out of a dragons den and grab a sword from some dead hero and finish off the beast. Yawn.

Honestly the first half of this trailer made me think that DAMSEL was a codename for the latest Stranger Things season. It felt like she was trying to survive inside of the Upside-down dimension.

StueyDuck

unfortunately Milly Bobby brown is one of those talented enough actresses who hit stardom way to early and has kind of been type casted now, she is going to end up with a flat career much like daisy ridley after being Ray.

she needs a better agent and to get the fuck away from netflix :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

StueyDuck

From what I've read, people that have worked with her don't think she is a particularly nice person.
modern young actresses have a bad stink about them, it's not their fault though, it's a mixture of having more of an exponential social media fame growth than actual film stardom growth (a lot of these young actors/actresses have far more social media clout after acting in one popular show/movie instead of building that reputation up over many movies/shows like one would previously) as well as having "modern" marketing firms handling their PR.

instead of being young women that younger girls aspire to, they are taught to be young activists that take down the older women for some unknown reason.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
unfortunately Milly Bobby brown is one of those talented enough actresses who hit stardom way to early and has kind of been type casted now, she is going to end up with a flat career much like daisy ridley after being Ray.

she needs a better agent and to get the fuck away from netflix :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Agreed shes like the stranger things character in every film she's in.

Fbh

Looks like what some AI would come up with if you told it to make a generic Netflix show, down to having Millie Bobby Brown as the lead

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Looks like what some AI would come up with if you told it to make a generic Netflix show, down to having Millie Bobby Brown as the lead
Let's try it!

"
You
Come up with a progressive, empowering medieval fantasy series for Netflix, starring a popular actor associated with a Netflix series

ChatGPT
Creating a progressive and empowering medieval fantasy series for Netflix sounds like an exciting project! Let's outline the key elements of this series:

Title: "Crown of Echoes"​

Setting:​

• Era: Medieval fantasy world.
  • Locations: Diverse landscapes – Enchanted forests, towering castles, mystical mountains, and ancient ruins.

Plot Synopsis:​

• Central Theme: The struggle for power and the quest for equality in a world divided by social hierarchies and ancient magic.
  • Story Arc: A mysterious artifact, the "Echo Crown," is said to grant immense power to whoever possesses it. The series follows the journey of diverse characters from different walks of life, each seeking the crown for their own reasons – some for power, others for peace.

Main Characters:​

1. Eirlys (played by a popular actress known for her role in a Netflix series): A brilliant strategist and warrior, raised as a commoner but possesses a secret royal lineage. She's a symbol of strength and resilience, fighting to bring equality to the kingdom.
  2. Sir Kaelan: A disgraced knight seeking redemption and a new purpose, who becomes an unlikely ally to Eirlys.
  3. Prince Aerion: The conflicted heir to the throne, torn between his duty to the crown and his desire for a more just world.
  4. Zara: A cunning and skilled mage, belonging to a marginalized community, seeking to break the stereotypes and limitations placed upon her people.

Key Themes:​

• Empowerment and Equality: The series emphasizes the empowerment of underrepresented groups, challenging traditional medieval hierarchies.
  • Magic and Mystery: A world where magic is intertwined with politics and personal destinies.
  • Intrigue and Betrayal: Court intrigues and unexpected alliances add depth to the plot.
  • Epic Battles and Personal Journeys: A balance between large-scale conflicts and individual character growth.

Visual Style:​

• Rich and vibrant cinematography, capturing the beauty and harshness of a medieval fantasy world.
  • Costumes and sets that reflect a blend of historical accuracy and imaginative fantasy.

Target Audience:​

• Fans of medieval fantasy genres, looking for a series that combines traditional fantasy elements with modern themes of equality and empowerment.

Potential for Series Expansion:​

• Spin-off series focusing on individual characters' backstories.
  • Interactive games and novels expanding the universe.
This series could offer a fresh take on the medieval fantasy genre, appealing to a wide audience and sparking conversations about empowerment and equality.

You
Give 5 suggestions for who should play the lead

ChatGPT
Casting the lead role of Eirlys in "Crown of Echoes" would be pivotal in setting the tone for the series. Here are five suggestions for actresses who have a strong association with Netflix series and could effectively portray the strength, intelligence, and complexity of the character:
  1. Anya Taylor-Joy: Known for her captivating performance in "The Queen's Gambit," Taylor-Joy could bring a mix of intensity and vulnerability to Eirlys, showcasing her strategic mind and warrior skills.
  2. Millie Bobby Brown: Famous for her role in "Stranger Things," Brown has already demonstrated her ability to handle complex roles in a fantasy setting. Her portrayal of Eirlys could add a layer of youthful energy and resilience.
  3. Katherine Langford: After her powerful performance in "13 Reasons Why" and "Cursed," Langford could bring a deep emotional range and a commanding presence to the role, aligning well with the character's leadership qualities.
  4. Gillian Anderson: Her outstanding roles in various series, including "The Crown," demonstrate her versatility and strong screen presence. Anderson could offer a more mature and seasoned portrayal of Eirlys, emphasizing wisdom and experience.
  5. Uzo Aduba: Known for her role in "Orange Is the New Black," Aduba's ability to portray strong, complex characters would make her an excellent choice for Eirlys. She could bring a unique depth and power to the role, highlighting the character's determination and strategic acumen.
Each of these actresses brings a unique set of skills and experiences that could vividly bring the character of Eirlys to life, adding their own touch to the empowering and progressive narrative of "Crown of Echoes."
"

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

I'm not sure Daisy Ridley is a good point of reference - she was plucked from obscurity and returned to it pretty quickly, while MBB has been embraced. Take a look at Instagram - 400k followers Vs 63.5m with that many people interested in her, plenty of films and TV shows will want to sign her up.

StueyDuck

I'm not sure Daisy Ridley is a good point of reference - she was plucked from obscurity and returned to it pretty quickly, while MBB has been embraced. Take a look at Instagram - 400k followers Vs 63.5m with that many people interested in her, plenty of films and TV shows will want to sign her up.
She was also plucked from obscurity and I wouldn't say "plenty"

She's flatlining in Netflix movies and once the final stranger things season is done she'll probably be done too with maybe another one or two straight to streaming Mary Sue roles

Number of followers on social media doesn't really equal the quality of actor or the number of roles she would be getting, that's why she's in these movies that seem to be written by AI, maybe only in marvel movies is that more important, but even then they still seem to hire people they see fit for a role and not just based on followers

In fact that sort of fame usually results more in cameos than leading roles

Her breakout moment was meant to be godzilla but that was a poor movie to bet your career on.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
She was also plucked from obscurity and I wouldn't say "plenty"

She's flatlining in Netflix movies and once the final stranger things season is done she'll probably be done too with maybe another one or two straight to streaming Mary Sue roles

Number of followers on social media doesn't really equal the quality of actor or the number or roles she would be getting, that's why she's in these movies that seem to be written by AI, maybe only in marvel movies is that more important, but even then they still seem to hire people they see fit for a role and not just based on followers

In fact that sort of fame usually results more in cameos than leading roles

Her breakout moment was meant to be godzilla but that was a poor movie to bet your career on.

Ok mate, the girl who's fronting the film for Netflix and has more followers on social media than Manchester United is all washed up.

StueyDuck

Ok mate, the girl who's fronting the film for Netflix and has more followers on social media than Manchester United is all washed up.
You seem to lack the capability to seperate social media fame and a movie career. By your logic Cardi-B is the most important actress right now

Fronting a Netflix film is hardly the most amazing career path an actor can be on, look at Chris Evans career post MCU. Apart from knives out its been a fairly sharp decline.

Her career may be financially going well but her filmography is rather stagnant and dwindling, this isn't some controversial take, she's starring in what is modern eras version of a straight to video movie.

Plus if the rumors that everyone else here is saying is true and that she's difficult to work with then that's going to have an adverse affect on her career also

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Let's try it!

"
You
Come up with a progressive, empowering medieval fantasy series for Netflix, starring a popular actor associated with a Netflix series

ChatGPT
Creating a progressive and empowering medieval fantasy series for Netflix sounds like an exciting project! Let's outline the key elements of this series:

Title: "Crown of Echoes"​

Setting:​

• Era: Medieval fantasy world.
  • Locations: Diverse landscapes – Enchanted forests, towering castles, mystical mountains, and ancient ruins.

Plot Synopsis:​

• Central Theme: The struggle for power and the quest for equality in a world divided by social hierarchies and ancient magic.
  • Story Arc: A mysterious artifact, the "Echo Crown," is said to grant immense power to whoever possesses it. The series follows the journey of diverse characters from different walks of life, each seeking the crown for their own reasons – some for power, others for peace.

Main Characters:​

1. Eirlys (played by a popular actress known for her role in a Netflix series): A brilliant strategist and warrior, raised as a commoner but possesses a secret royal lineage. She's a symbol of strength and resilience, fighting to bring equality to the kingdom.
  2. Sir Kaelan: A disgraced knight seeking redemption and a new purpose, who becomes an unlikely ally to Eirlys.
  3. Prince Aerion: The conflicted heir to the throne, torn between his duty to the crown and his desire for a more just world.
  4. Zara: A cunning and skilled mage, belonging to a marginalized community, seeking to break the stereotypes and limitations placed upon her people.

Key Themes:​

• Empowerment and Equality: The series emphasizes the empowerment of underrepresented groups, challenging traditional medieval hierarchies.
  • Magic and Mystery: A world where magic is intertwined with politics and personal destinies.
  • Intrigue and Betrayal: Court intrigues and unexpected alliances add depth to the plot.
  • Epic Battles and Personal Journeys: A balance between large-scale conflicts and individual character growth.

Visual Style:​

• Rich and vibrant cinematography, capturing the beauty and harshness of a medieval fantasy world.
  • Costumes and sets that reflect a blend of historical accuracy and imaginative fantasy.

Target Audience:​

• Fans of medieval fantasy genres, looking for a series that combines traditional fantasy elements with modern themes of equality and empowerment.

Potential for Series Expansion:​

• Spin-off series focusing on individual characters' backstories.
  • Interactive games and novels expanding the universe.
This series could offer a fresh take on the medieval fantasy genre, appealing to a wide audience and sparking conversations about empowerment and equality.

You
Give 5 suggestions for who should play the lead

ChatGPT
Casting the lead role of Eirlys in "Crown of Echoes" would be pivotal in setting the tone for the series. Here are five suggestions for actresses who have a strong association with Netflix series and could effectively portray the strength, intelligence, and complexity of the character:
  1. Anya Taylor-Joy: Known for her captivating performance in "The Queen's Gambit," Taylor-Joy could bring a mix of intensity and vulnerability to Eirlys, showcasing her strategic mind and warrior skills.
  2. Millie Bobby Brown: Famous for her role in "Stranger Things," Brown has already demonstrated her ability to handle complex roles in a fantasy setting. Her portrayal of Eirlys could add a layer of youthful energy and resilience.
  3. Katherine Langford: After her powerful performance in "13 Reasons Why" and "Cursed," Langford could bring a deep emotional range and a commanding presence to the role, aligning well with the character's leadership qualities.
  4. Gillian Anderson: Her outstanding roles in various series, including "The Crown," demonstrate her versatility and strong screen presence. Anderson could offer a more mature and seasoned portrayal of Eirlys, emphasizing wisdom and experience.
  5. Uzo Aduba: Known for her role in "Orange Is the New Black," Aduba's ability to portray strong, complex characters would make her an excellent choice for Eirlys. She could bring a unique depth and power to the role, highlighting the character's determination and strategic acumen.
Each of these actresses brings a unique set of skills and experiences that could vividly bring the character of Eirlys to life, adding their own touch to the empowering and progressive narrative of "Crown of Echoes."
"
I think your post demonstrates the need for a 🤮 reaction emoji. The character names aren't bad though; better than what the idiots responsible for the SW sequel trilogy came up with.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
You seem to lack the capability to seperate social media fame and a movie career. By your logic Cardi-B is the most important actress right now

Fronting a Netflix film is hardly the most amazing career path an actor can be on, look at Chris Evans career post MCU. Apart from knives out its been a fairly sharp decline.

Her career may be financially going well but her filmography is rather stagnant and dwindling, this isn't some controversial take, she's starring in what is modern eras version of a straight to video movie.

Plus if the rumors that everyone else here is saying is true and that she's difficult to work with then that's going to have an adverse affect on her career also
No mate, Cardi B isn't an actor, she's a musician with a big following. MBB is an actor with a big following. MBB was a supporting cast member in a TV show and at 19 is now a big enough star to be the lead on a movie for the same network. No idea why you think that warrants shitting on, but you do you.

StueyDuck

No mate, Cardi B isn't an actor, she's a musician with a big following. MBB is an actor with a big following. MBB was a supporting cast member in a TV show and at 19 is now a big enough star to be the lead on a movie for the same network. No idea why you think that warrants shitting on, but you do you.
lol megan thee stallion then.

megan thee stallion under your logic has the best career of all hollywood actresses.

again you seem to think being social media popular equals a lucrative film career.

look i'm not 16, maybe that is how 16 year olds view someones filmography, but in the classic sense she is being type cast into mary sue roles on a straight to streaming Mid to low budget platform. I can't imagine that being the dream career of any actor/actress prior, but maybe that is the cool new way to view things, more instagram followers rather than a body of work.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
lol megan thee stallion then.

megan thee stallion under your logic has the best career of all hollywood actresses.

again you seem to think being social media popular equals a lucrative film career.

look i'm not 16, maybe that is how 16 year olds view someones filmography, but in the classic sense she is being type cast into mary sue roles on a straight to streaming Mid to low budget platform. I can't imagine that being the dream career of any actor/actress prior, but maybe that is the cool new way to view things, more instagram followers rather than a body of work.
You're putting words into my mouth.

You said that her career would have the same trajectory as Daisy Ridley's, who is basically nowhere to be seen. I pointed out that she evidently is far more popular than Daisy Ridley as evidenced by being followed by 63m people and that easy measure of popularity would be a serious consideration when casting an actor for mainstream cinema. That following makes her more likely to be booked, because audiences appear to like her. The greatest actors are rarely cast in leading roles, even in movies that cost less than $100m. Does that mean that Kim Kardashian could book a role in the latest Scorsese film opposite De Niro? Unlikely, but that's not what I'm saying, she's not an actor (well, not in the traditional sense).

I'm also not saying this is the greatest acting career the world has ever seen or that she's the greatest actor of her generation - but she's still doing better than more than 99% of actors across the board, let alone someone her age. If I was a betting man, I'd say that she's already got a better career than Daisy Ridley, and that in taking leading roles in films, even ones by netflix, represents an ascendancy, not a decline.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

You're putting words into my mouth.

You said that her career would have the same trajectory as Daisy Ridley's, who is basically nowhere to be seen. I pointed out that she evidently is far more popular than Daisy Ridley as evidenced by being followed by 63m people and that easy measure of popularity would be a serious consideration when casting an actor for mainstream cinema. That following makes her more likely to be booked, because audiences appear to like her. The greatest actors are rarely cast in leading roles, even in movies that cost less than $100m. Does that mean that Kim Kardashian could book a role in the latest Scorsese film opposite De Niro? Unlikely, but that's not what I'm saying, she's not an actor (well, not in the traditional sense).

I'm also not saying this is the greatest acting career the world has ever seen or that she's the greatest actor of her generation - but she's still doing better than more than 99% of actors across the board, let alone someone her age. If I was a betting man, I'd say that she's already got a better career than Daisy Ridley, and that in taking leading roles in films, even ones by netflix, represents an ascendancy, not a decline.
you really can't get away from social media can you, hey well if that's what floats your boat then sure.

I promise you movies are hiring based on who they feel fits the role best, both MBB and Daisy Ridley became famous because of exactly that reason, even Disney and Marvel which have been a shit show in terms of quality still are choosing actors based on their ability to fulfil the role and character, this idea that movie execs only care about your instagram followers is so strange that I don't even know where you are coming up with it, I guess you took the "Tom Holland in all game adaptations" meme a little too seriously. I can't think of a single modern big budget movie or tv show where it was evidential that a main character was cast because of their instagram account. Those are usually relegated to Cameo Appearances, much like greatest actress in the world, megan thee stallion.

i see a career that is flatlining, it's not unusual for break out actors to have a career fart post famous thing, Mark Hamill vs Harrison Ford after Star Wars is a perfect example and right now she is falling into the Mark Hamill category, unless she starts getting better roles and stops being type casted, either that or they reboot stranger things in a few years and she can live off that fame, don't really care much about her instagram.

Last edited:

Hugare

Yeah, she is a good actress (if she is a bitch irl, who cares) but she should go the Sadie Sink route and pick better projects

Sadie has worked with Aronofsky already while Milly is making Netflix movies only

Milly is probably making bank, but she should think about the long run

John Bilbo

I have to say this movie surprised me. The characters acted mostly plausibly and although the script had some flaws the plot made somewhat sense.

It was clear this movie was inspired by Predator, Prey and The Game of Thrones.

I had a pretty good time with it. Could be worth a watch if survival type films are your thing.

Mikado

ChatGPT

This is amazing. It's like:

"ChatGPT, generate a parody of what an AI-generated outline for a "progressive" series would look like. Really lean in to what makes AI-generated crap so goofy. Don't hold back."

Perfection.

Top Bottom